PDA

View Full Version : We CANNOT afford to go down

Cameron1875
30-01-2011, 03:57 AM
I went with a mate who is a dunfermline fan to see partick v the pars at firhill this afternoon and i expected some decent football maybe some more exciting football than we have been seeing at hibs.

All i saw were two very very poor sides in a stadium that is on its last legs basically. Years of being in the first division have obviously taken its toll on Thistle. Only one stand is available for home fans and even then it is around half full with the advertising boards bare due to nobody wanting to sponsor the club.

If hibs went down it would have a major effect financially and also on the playing field. This is no exaggeration, todays game was up there with the worst hibs matches we've had to witness this season but it would be torture to have to play these types of teams week in week out next season. Nothing against the two clubs but i really hope fans that are saying at least we would get to see some new grounds are trying to laugh off the situation we are because i'm not sure we'd get promoted instantly. If we didnt it would be ***** to go in to decline and have to watch hibs in empty stadiums with abysmal pitch conditions.

Sorry for negative post, hope we do the business against united but just staying in the division would do for me.:notworthy:

hibby67
30-01-2011, 05:30 AM
yes it would be a disaster if we went down but i think you are being a bit dramatic....:panic:

i hope and pray we dont go down but it would be the same as last time we would still get a heathy following supporting there team in times of need and we would come back a stronger team

oregonhibby
30-01-2011, 08:32 AM
A bit dramatic, however, I would imagine we are facing a £2m loss on operations this year as a result of poor league form and going out of the cups early. I can't see who we could sell that would claw that back and with 16 players out of contract we would have to build anew, and that would cost money. Last time around £2.5m.

Adding to that would be a loss associated with playing in the 1st Division say another £1.5m would make things difficult and without a decent team there is no guarantee of getting back up.

That is why the Board will be giving Calderwood what he needs because they also know that going down would be a disaster. Would we end up like Partick? No we have a couple of things going for us:

1 Sir Tom farmer, and;
2 East Mains.

The latter could be sold at some stage if really necessary. However, it really needs to be ramped up to bring through real talent. We, in my view, have never really replaced John Park and need to quickly.

Phil D. Rolls
30-01-2011, 10:50 AM
yes it would be a disaster if we went down but i think you are being a bit dramatic....:panic:

i hope and pray we dont go down but it would be the same as last time we would still get a heathy following supporting there team in times of need and we would come back a stronger team

I'm sure that's how Dundee fans used to think. It's fine if you get out at the first time of asking, but it can become a habit.

greenlex
30-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Can't be true. Partick and Dunfermline are two of the bigger clubs that would enhance a 16 or 18 team SPL.

Cocaine&Caviar
30-01-2011, 11:13 AM
These awful stadiums are part of the attraction that would make me once again look forward to a saturday to new territory, to stadiums with atmosphere and character, unlike St Mirren, Rugby Park etc.

If we were somewhow able to gaurentee coming back up, a year in the First Division would be a great oppurtunity to rebuild the club where it counts, on the pitch. The young guys like Welsh, Booth, Taggart, Horner, Byrne, etc would all get more game time, and the more established ones like Hanlon, Galbraith and Wotherspoon might be able to regain some confidence.

The model for success for any Scottish team outside of the Old Firm or Vlad has to be to bring through youngsters, with potential for sale, and then re-invest this money in the club.

The Falcon
30-01-2011, 11:19 AM
So what are we saying? If we get relegated we will go out of business? Or perhaps we should all shoot ourselves? The club will survive. Maybe some people wont support them anymore but if your supporting Hibs for the glory days end endless silverware, you should have maybe picked another team!

Its a game of football. Nobody dies, gets tortured or starves. Get real.

Ray_
30-01-2011, 11:30 AM
So what are we saying? If we get relegated we will go out of business? Or perhaps we should all shoot ourselves? The club will survive. Maybe some people wont support them anymore but if your supporting Hibs for the glory days end endless silverware, you should have maybe picked another team!

Its a game of football. Nobody dies, gets tortured or starves. Get real.

Some people have supported the club for decades & have got to the point that they are sick to death with this one man dictatorship, that's led us to where we are now. Where does that equation fit in with your glory hunting philosophy as being the sole reason for folk having given up the ghost?

Article in the Mail today that is not your usual hero worship of our board & more in line with what a growing number of people are feeling & some have thought for a long time.

fatbloke
30-01-2011, 11:41 AM

What a load of tosh. OP is actually understating the situation. You honestly think that Hibs fans are going to turn out on a freezing Saturday in January to watch Hibs v Morton or whoever - not bl00dy likely. If we go down we are Donald Ducked - who will sign for us - nobody. Spend 5 years drifting until the next young generation might spring up.

I also hope and pray we stay up. Sadly at the moment our rivals are not Hearts or the Old Firm it is Hamilton, St Mirren and all the other gash.

What a nightmare.

The Falcon
30-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Some people have supported the club for decades & have got to the point that they are sick to death with this one man dictatorship, that's lead us to where we are now. Where does that equation fit in with your glory hunting philosophy as being the sole reason for folk having given up the ghost?

Its easy to blame our one man dictatorship (Farmer or Petrie?) but the Duff and Gray model was hugely successful was it not? Hibs have won three trophies in 50 years. I cant fathom what people are expecting? We are here through poor identification of players by the incumbent managers, no one else. The same ones that are saying Petrie shouldnt have let the contract situation arise are the same one's who accuse him of interference with the manager. I'm sorry but they cant have it both ways.

Rod made his role very clear at the AGM but if he's lied, and there's evidence of this, I, as a shareholder, will be the first to complain to the relevant authorities.

Short of someone coming in with untold millions Farmer (and Petrie) are here to stay. Unbelievably perhaps there are those of us who are comfortable with this.

Ray_
30-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Its easy to blame our one man dictatorship (Farmer or Petrie?) but the Duff and Gray model was hugely successful was it not? Hibs have won three trophies in 50 years. I cant fathom what people are expecting? We are here through poor identification of players by the incumbent managers, no one else. The same ones that are saying Petrie shouldnt have let the contract situation arise are the same one's who accuse him of interference with the manager. I'm sorry but they cant have it both ways.

Rod made his role very clear at the AGM but if he's lied, and there's evidence of this, I, as a shareholder, will be the first to complain to the relevant authorities.

Short of someone coming in with untold millions Farmer (and Petrie) are here to stay. Unbelievably perhaps there are those of us who are comfortable with this.

As for Duff & Gray, why the same old tripe, Hibs have been going almost a hundred and thirty six years, how long did those people have the club? So if its not Farmer it has to be a D&G :rolleyes:

Its the same when on the field investment was asked for, no happy medium, Oh we will end up like Leeds, well it may go against the grain, but sometimes investment works & if we had invested a bit of money, we may well have had some saleable assets today & be in a far better position & attracting far more money, rather than haemorrhaging it as we are now.

Yes, it is clearly obvious that there are some who are comfortable with this, however, they are getting fewer all the time & that is why we have such poor crowds and dire results in what cash is coming in. We even have people who have already paid their admission money, who can't be bothered going.

The Falcon
30-01-2011, 12:23 PM
As for Duff & Gray, why the same old tripe, Hibs have been going almost a hundred and thirty six years, how long did those people have the club? So if its not Farmer it has to be a D&G :rolleyes:

Its the same when on the field investment was asked for, no happy medium, Oh we will end up like Leeds, well it may go against the grain, but sometimes investment works & if we had invested a bit of money, we may well have had some saleable assets today & be in a far better position & attracting far more money, rather than haemorrhaging it as we are now.

Yes, it is clearly obvious that there are some who are comfortable with this, however, they are getting fewer all the time & that is why we have such poor crowds and dire results in what cash is coming in. We even have people who have already paid there admission money, who can't be bothered going.

Its not the "same old trip" Ray its the way it is. In my lifetime Hibs have been a one man show apart from Duff and Gray, who did not have the means to run a football club. Most football clubs are be it Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Celtic (more or less), Rangers. At Hibs it Farmer and the way the club is run reflects his philosophy.

Wht do you think we have not invested a bit of money when Lyndsay stated the other week that we have. Its not what we've invested its that its been invested poorly from Collins on and that is why we are here today.

People who have paid their money are not going because the team are poor and I agree that this should be addressed. While we see ourselves as a "big fish" others do not. We lost our captain over a year ago because Scunthorpe paid much more money than we did. Scunthorpe! We can argue all we want about "investment" but if we've not got it we cant spend it. And no, thats not the "same old tripe", thats the reality of where we are.

Anyway, I am off to Tannadeechy!!

Ray_
30-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Its not the "same old trip" Ray its the way it is. In my lifetime Hibs have been a one man show apart from Duff and Gray, who did not have the means to run a football club. Most football clubs are be it Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Celtic (more or less), Rangers. At Hibs it Farmer and the way the club is run reflects his philosophy.

Wht do you think we have not invested a bit of money when Lyndsay stated the other week that we have. Its not what we've invested its that its been invested poorly from Collins on and that is why we are here today.

People who have paid their money are not going because the team are poor and I agree that this should be addressed. While we see ourselves as a "big fish" others do not. We lost our captain over a year ago because Scunthorpe paid much more money than we did. Scunthorpe! We can argue all we want about "investment" but if we've not got it we cant spend it. And no, thats not the "same old tripe", thats the reality of where we are.

Anyway, I am off to Tannadeechy!!

So what is the common denominator? All poor managers you think, [employed by whom]. The bottom line is that the club is in a very poor way & therefore the custodians aren’t doing much of a job. Farmer is the club’s owner, however it is the hibs fans that pay Petrie & Co’s high wages, not Tom Farmer & it is the Hibs fans that have to endure the dross churned out, year on year.

Yes we have only had three trophies in 50 years & two memorable Drybrough Cup successes & European adventures and we have also had many seasons where we were entertained & not had to watch the dross we’ve had over the last three years.

Good luck for the game, at the moment I wouldn't cross the road to see them.