PDA

View Full Version : Signing Players - Hibs Policy?

SauzeeJ'adore4
30-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Just wanted to ask peoples opinion on the above....I understand from speaking to a couple of boys connected to Hibs under previous managers reigns that Rodders has a strict policy on signing players. Basically he will only sign players he feels have a resale value to the club, preferably young players. Whilst this seems to make perfect business sense in that you buy good young players and sell on at a profit it also means that he wont allow the manager to go after experienced players that will want maybe a premium salary with no opportunity to sell on, one example given to me was Manager wanting to sign experienced player that still has ability to perform in this league Paul Hartley but Chairman saying no. Irrespective of your feelings towards that player at a time when Hibs are REALLY struggling and desperately need a leader or several leaders with experience, is this the right attitude to have? Is a promising 19 year old or an unproven 22 year old going to provide the leadership and experience to take us forward to safety...probably not.
Opinions people...............

matty_f
30-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Just wanted to ask peoples opinion on the above....I understand from speaking to a couple of boys connected to Hibs under previous managers reigns that Rodders has a strict policy on signing players. Basically he will only sign players he feels have a resale value to the club, preferably young players. Whilst this seems to make perfect business sense in that you buy good young players and sell on at a profit it also means that he wont allow the manager to go after experienced players that will want maybe a premium salary with no opportunity to sell on, one example given to me was Manager wanting to sign experienced player that still has ability to perform in this league Paul Hartley but Chairman saying no. Irrespective of your feelings towards that player at a time when Hibs are REALLY struggling and desperately need a leader or several leaders with experience, is this the right attitude to have? Is a promising 19 year old or an unproven 22 year old going to provide the leadership and experience to take us forward to safety...probably not.
Probably easily disproved with the recent(ish) signings of Miller, McBride, Stack, Brown, Smith, De Graaf, Nish (ok, not so recent), Murray...

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2011, 12:18 AM

So why did he sanction the signings of Sauzee, Murray, Paatelainen and Brewster?

Or did those signings shape his alleged current attitude?

jacomo
30-01-2011, 12:18 AM
It's clear that Hibs won't be able to grow without substantial income developing young players and selling them on.

But Sauzee and Latapy are two very good reasons why such a policy - if one exists - would be wrong.

Also, can't believe that the £100k or so spent on Nish was seen as an investment in this way??

ScottB
30-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Sounds like boll*cks to me.

But in any case I'd much rather we signed young guys who can get better and one day make the club some profit than guys on the downward curve.

Kaiser1962
30-01-2011, 08:18 AM
two words....Michael Hart.

While you make points about a fabled "signing policy", presumably to have a pop at Rod, your obvious lack of knowledge regarding Hibs signings, both recent and fairly recent, could leave you open of allegations of Yammery at work.

scoopyboy
30-01-2011, 08:38 AM
I think Romanov once stated this type of thing.

Beefster
30-01-2011, 08:49 AM
So the OP has pretty much been busted with both historical and recent examples? It just shows how gullible folk can be that this sort of nonsense can spread without anyone putting any thought whatsoever into whether it might actually be true.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 08:53 AM
I think the only thing wrong with our signing policy, has been the quality of a lot of them we have signed. And thats down to the manager.:boo hoo:

CallumLaidlaw
30-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Im pretty sure ITK posters said that Hartley was spoken to but both camps felt that history wasn't on his side so we signed De Graaf instead

son of haggart
30-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I think Romanov once stated this type of thing.

He did (and skacel, kyle and elliott disprove this for us too)

I think it is probably a principle which most owners/ chairmen are following now, but it is a rule where there need to be exceptions, as there has to be some balancing older players in any team.

Phil D. Rolls
30-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Fitba fowk ken whits gaun oan. :agree: