PDA

View Full Version : The stick or the carrot?

RIP
29-01-2011, 06:54 PM
At the start of the winter I arrived with Cammy for his Scottish Cup game against a team fae Sauchie. They were big lads and our team was short and slight by comparison.

Within 15 minutes of the kick off their coaches and parents start shouting at everybody - ref, own players, opposition. Our coaches other the other hand were giving encouragement and our parents were applauding every good pass and saying 'hard lines' if a pass went awry.

When the final whistle went - the Juniors had won 2-0 and the lads fae Sauchie trooped off with their heids doon and their adults still complaining tae the ref

A few weeks ago at Easter Road we went 0-2 down to Dundee United. Our Singing Section simply sang louder and when the Dundee United players left the field at the final whistle I bet they were feeling lucky they had held Hibs to a draw.

Now some folk were upset when Section 43 were cheering the team at 0-2 last week against Celtic. But what is the alternative? If we want to guarantee relegation we should definitely boo our own players and boo our own team!!

On the other hand we could support the team for the whole 90 minutes. If it even sparks one comeback, that point could help keep us in the SPL.

So boo the Hibs or support the Hibs in our hour of need?

It's our choice

Arch Stanton
29-01-2011, 06:59 PM
So the moral is we will get better results if the Hibs support is positive and encouraging?

Isn't there any other way?

Shrekko
29-01-2011, 07:03 PM
I'll start by saying I'm all in favour of the singing section.

However... we seem to be getting close to uber fan debates again and I'm also getting a bit tired of all the self congratulatory threads going up after every home game.

The argument was not that the singing section were singing Hibs songs but the fact they appeared to be taking the mickey out their own players with 1 or 2 of the chants.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2011, 07:07 PM

However... we seem to be getting close to uber fan debates again and I'm also getting a bit tired of all the self congratulatory threads going up after every home game.

The argument was not that the singing section were singing Hibs songs but the fact they appeared to be taking the mickey out their own players with 1 or 2 of the chants.

I disagree, i don't see any of them congratulating themselves, just a few fol saying how they enjoyed their day. I quite like how 325 keeps banging the drum about supporting the team on matchday, rather than getting on their back. Its a good thing no?

Twiglet
I for one want to hear cheering and encouragment for the team, so well done to the singing section for singing the team on, even at 2-0 down.

I shout the team on and forward for the full match, much to the annoyance of some of those around me. At the derby at ER I got a dirty look from the woman in front because I had the audacity to shout the team on when we were losing 1-0. It's people like that that discourage me at times for shouting them on as much (though she wasn't there on Wednesday so Booth and Galbraith had to suffer me shouting them forward fir the whole of the second half).

Cropley10

Without the singing section ER would be like a library. Get over yourself.

Phil D. Rolls
29-01-2011, 07:10 PM
So the moral is we will get better results if the Hibs support is positive and encouraging?

Isn't there any other way?

:faf:

Personally, I find the whole concept of an orchestrated singing section akin to something out of 1984. At best it is bringing us one step closer to the passionless approach the Americans take to spectator sport.

That said, if they are helping us grab points this season, hats off to the lads (and I dare say, lasses as well).

Shrekko
29-01-2011, 07:13 PM

WTF do I need to get over myself for?

Did you actually read the post?

If you read the thread about the singing section last week it was folk arguing about whether singing ' we're sh** and we know are are' was appropriate and helpful to the team.

My point, just so you understand, to the OP is that nobody has criticised them for supporting the team.

Shrekko
29-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I disagree, i don't see any of them congratulating themselves, just a few fol saying how they enjoyed their day. I quite like how 325 keeps banging the drum about supporting the team on matchday, rather than getting on their back. Its a good thing no?

Aye good to see you endorse getting behind the team BH. It's maybe just yer internet persona that whinges about all things connected to the club.

If i see another congratulatory thread I'll point it out to you.

I'm glad there's more atmosphere at the ground this season and that's the last I'm saying. There's always some smarty pants ready to shoot you down on this forum these days for giving a view.

down-the-slope
29-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Carrot :agree:

Don't find sticks digestable

jacomo
29-01-2011, 11:38 PM

I've taken the piss out of certain players / the whole team at times watching Hibs. Sometimes it's the only thing that keeps you sane.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Aye good to see you endorse getting behind the team BH. It's maybe just yer internet persona that whinges about all things connected to the club.

I'm glad there's more atmosphere at the ground this season and that's the last I'm saying. There's always some smarty pants ready to shoot you down on this forum these days for giving a view.

Where did i shoot you down for giving a different view? :confused: I'm sorry for disagreeing with you, if i spot a negative thread, I'll point that one out to you. Shouldn't be too hard.

Toaods
30-01-2011, 07:47 AM
...I'm not anti-singing section, but constant signing and tub thumping has done Pompey a lot of good these last 5 years.

easty
30-01-2011, 09:30 AM
All players are different, some need praise and some need a rollicking, in order to get their arse into gear.

Personally, I know I respond better to a bit of a rollicking.

It's up to the manager to work out whats best for who, and a good manager should be able to do that.

That all said, for this team as a whole, the support getting behind them is the only way I think.

Barney McGrew
30-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Now some folk were upset when Section 43 were cheering the team at 0-2 last week against Celtic

Without wanting to drag this into another six pager, and assuming you mean the Rangers game, that's not true. No-one is upset you're cheering the team on, it's some of the songs people objected to.

Moulin Yarns
30-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Personally, I find the whole concept of an orchestrated singing section akin to something out of 1984. At best it is bringing us one step closer to the passionless approach the Americans take to spectator sport.

That said, if they are helping us grab points this season, hats off to the lads (and I dare say, lasses as well).

Usually I agree with your comments FR but the 1984 comparison is wrong. If anything is akin to 1984 it is the stewards over zealous actions against fans standing in their allocated position (provided they are not blocking someone elses view of the match)

For what it's worth, I started a thread about the good amount of noise our fans were making against Rangers, even though we were losing. It was not self congratulatory as I have nothing to do with the singing section, and I wasn't there.

Oh aye, and Carrot every time. Nobody performs at their best if they are constantly being critisised.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2011, 12:12 PM
At the start of the winter I arrived with Cammy for his Scottish Cup game against a team fae Sauchie. They were big lads and our team was short and slight by comparison.

Within 15 minutes of the kick off their coaches and parents start shouting at everybody - ref, own players, opposition. Our coaches other the other hand were giving encouragement and our parents were applauding every good pass and saying 'hard lines' if a pass went awry.

When the final whistle went - the Juniors had won 2-0 and the lads fae Sauchie trooped off with their heids doon and their adults still complaining tae the ref

A few weeks ago at Easter Road we went 0-2 down to Dundee United. Our Singing Section simply sang louder and when the Dundee United players left the field at the final whistle I bet they were feeling lucky they had held Hibs to a draw.

Now some folk were upset when Section 43 were cheering the team at 0-2 last week against Celtic. But what is the alternative? If we want to guarantee relegation we should definitely boo our own players and boo our own team!!

On the other hand we could support the team for the whole 90 minutes. If it even sparks one comeback, that point could help keep us in the SPL.

So boo the Hibs or support the Hibs in our hour of need?

It's our choice

We have tried the bold bits and still failed :wink:

basehibby
30-01-2011, 12:27 PM

What utter nonsense! There's nothing orchestrated about the singing section as far as I know - they just all sit in the same area of the stand and make a racket.

And good on them I say! I personally find it a bit embarassing how much like a band of church mice many of the Hibs support have become. The singing section makes it easier for everyone that wants to make a noise to join in and I for one am grateful for their efforts - at very least they also serve the useful purpose of drowning out that other element of our support - the moaners and whingers - and that by the way should answer the question put in the OP - the carrot every time for me - the stick will only work up to the point where you've thrashed the donkey to death.

degenerated
30-01-2011, 12:56 PM
i prefer Malcolm Tucker's carrot and stick approach. I bet results would have improved if CC has taken this on board :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkWxDfACpNg

Jack
30-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Two different things in my opinion.

I don't think there were any self congratulatory posts beyond the singers themselves saying what a ‘great’ time they were having or that the atmosphere around us is great as its mostly positive (imagine that at Easter Road :rolleyes:). I cannot say I read any that implied ‘we’re great’; we’re the uber fans’ the rest of you are just rubbish.

I can’t see anything wrong with that – it’s a continuation of the chat at the match and what fans forums are all about.

The congratulatory posts seemed to me to mostly start along the lines of ‘I’m in the FF…’ or ’I’m in the West …’ or another part of the East. Others, who don't ‘sit’ in the Singing Section, offering praise. I personnally really appreciate that praise and I'm sure those around me do too. Thank you. :not worth

The Singing Section is new at Easter Road and its learning, as we all do, from its mistakes; feeling its way as it moves along. I don't recall ‘we’re p!sh and we know we are’ which was sung last Saturday and criticised, being sung on Wednesday. Off the naughty step and one more step up the learning curve. :greengrin

I think its also the case that folk who had issues around which songs were sung at Easter Road in the past now have a shoogly hook to hang their complaint on – The Singing Section. There is no single person, or group such as the Hibs 12th Man, can come out and say ‘you can only sing these songs you canny sing these ones’. Well they could but they wouldn’t get very far! :cool2:

So for the foreseeable future the ‘Song debate’ is going to temporarily take over from the great flag debates of the past! :flag:

RIP
30-01-2011, 02:22 PM
All I'm saying is if you were a football player, regardless of ability, would you respond best to encouragement or abuse?

I think we all know the answer but in our frustration can't help ourselves from moaning

And in behaving this way for the rest of the season we will play (however small) our part in guaranteeing relegation

We need spirit, courage and the ability to dig deep within ourselves to be the best supporters a team can have. If we do all that and Hibs still go to the SFL - at least we supporters will have given 100%

However if we meekly accept other teams scoring, run and hide, boo and abuse the boys in green then, as supporters, maybe we will get everything we deserve?

Even if we can add 10% to any Hibs performance - that 10% will be crucial - will it not?

number 27
30-01-2011, 03:19 PM

I like the library. It's a lot more enjoyable than ER at the moment.