PDA

View Full Version : Accomodation in New York?

Craig_in_Prague
29-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Anyone that's been to NYC got any reccomendation for hotel/apartment/B&B in New York?

thanks in advance!

Craig

DH1875
29-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Anyone that's been to NYC got any reccomendation for hotel/apartment/B&B in New York?

thanks in advance!

Craig

When you looking to go and what sort of budget we talking.

Beefster
29-01-2011, 02:37 PM
It's not particularly cheap but we stayed in the Affinia Manhattan which does rooms, studios and 1/2 bedroom suites. We stayed in a suite and it was great. I hate living in hotel rooms though.

http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Hotel.aspx?name=Affinia-Manhattan

Craig_in_Prague
29-01-2011, 03:04 PM
When you looking to go and what sort of budget we talking.

Early March; will be staying 5 nights maybe 1 week.
Something which is comfertable enough and decent location, but doesn't need to be anything too fancy.

I've no idea about prices there for accom, so wouldn't know where to start looking.

DH1875
29-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Something which is comfertable enough and decent location, but doesn't need to be anything too fancy.

I've no idea about prices there for accom, so wouldn't know where to start looking.

If you got the money check out the Setai fifth avenue. If not have a look at hotel 31.

Aubenas
29-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North

Stayed here last year: 5 or 6 mins walk to Central Park, 3 mins from subway, 10-15 mins walk to Times Square or fifth avenue. Great local delis/coffee/sandwich shops, handy for Columbus Circle shops.
Also a block from a Firehouse so you get regular fire engines flyin past - great sight in NYC (:greengrin)
Also free breakfast buffet, and coffee/fruit free in lobby all day.
Cracker of a place!

magpie1892
29-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Radisson on Broadway is not bad. Huge, not expensive. Close to everything but also walking distance to Penn. Station if you're flying into Newark.

Good breakfast.

Some really good bars nearby show the football, etc.

JennaFletcher
29-01-2011, 08:28 PM
STEER CLEAR OF THE WEST SIDE YMCA!!

Horrific. And not in the fun YMCA song kind way... just really grimey and shady!

Sioux
29-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Washington Square hotel in Greenwich Village. Great area to stay.

Prob $200 per room though. But that's not unusual for Manhattan.

If ur going for St Pats day all hotels are more expensive.

essexhibee
30-01-2011, 09:22 PM
The radisson on Broadway is a good shout. Manhattan hotels are mostly pretty pricey I think.

We've stayed there a few times and its great being so close to everything. As what magpie says its huge. Not as good as the hotel I stayed in when I was much younger...Marriott down at the World Trade Centre (r.I.p) . Only vagueish memories but one I do have was of the huge gym at the place. Running track all the way round the floor .

H18sry
02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
£94 -- NYC: New Chelsea Hotel inc Breakfast, Reg £150http Fairfield Inn Manhattan Chelsea http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/hotels/usa-canada/968169/?utm_source=top20_uk&utm_medium=email_top20

PeeJay
02-02-2011, 12:17 PM

thanks in advance!

Craig

Stayed in this one a few years back - was excellent at the time.
http://www.metropolitanhotelnyc.com/

DH1875
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Honestly, check out hotel 31. It's on 31st Street and only a 10 min walk from Penn station, just around the corner from the empire state building. Central park is only 15 min walk away, UN building 5 minute walk, and Broadway 10 minute walk.

Best of all if you price it right you can get rooms from £50 a night :thumbsup:. Bargain.

Scooter
06-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Randa new Yorker it was ok accommodation wise but great location.
The good news is it's went through a multi million pound refit since I've been and it's ment to be a lovley hotel

Craig_in_Prague
10-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Cheers for all the help guys.

Hotel 31 looked ok - but we found a place on 47th street which looks very decent location as well, was similar price and with private bathroom and also breakfast.
Econ Lodge i think it's called. We've not paid anything for it yet so can still cancel if something pops up.

Any bars that'll show footy there?

Not that I'm too fussed, but good to know.

Craig_in_Prague
10-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Stayed in this one a few years back - was excellent at the time.
http://www.metropolitanhotelnyc.com/

cheers for that.

think we might opt for this! rates are fair and location spot on.
thanks!!

Argylehibby
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
http://www.radiocityapartments.com/

Stayed here first time I was in NYC and although far from plush they were ok. Great location just north of Times Square.

Craig_in_Prague
22-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Booked the double tree mentioned above, decent rate on advance purchase and I'll get some nice points on my account too.

SO, I'll be getting into NYC from Phoenix overnight on Friday week ...and thus arrive early Sat morning (6.15am). Anywhere that might show British footy at all around midtown/midtown east then? Guess not ?
Got 5-6 hours before my wife will come in, so would be ideal if there's a chance to get an AM pint and see whatever game may be on that day (a week on Sat).

Thanks for any help!

Hillsidehibby
23-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Jack Demsey's in Midtown Manhattan always show football from around 7.30am at weekends.

Bit of a Celtic pub but beer and food is great.

Craig_in_Prague
24-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Jack Demsey's in Midtown Manhattan always show football from around 7.30am at weekends.

Bit of a Celtic pub but beer and food is great.

:aok:

Hillsidehibby
24-02-2011, 11:34 AM
While you are there you must try a pub called The Subway Inn beside Bloomingdales.

It is the dingiest pub I have ever been to! Its New York in a bar.

If you are brave enough try a cocktail called Adios Mother***ka.