PDA

View Full Version : If you were a manager

southern hibby
28-01-2011, 10:04 AM
and CC was sacked would you come to Hibs?

I can see only 2 types of manager being attracted to this job, someone out of work and desperate to get back into football or an up and coming manager trying to move on up in terms of stature.

Probably to an established manager the Hibs job is not as good as it would appear on paper. We are going through managers at an alarming speed. So I ask this question which established decent manager in a goob would walk away from it and enter the cauldron that its Hibs? If CC is sacked he would get compensation, the club we sign a new manager from would get compensation and this is all biting into player funds that we do not know how much this is set at. Attendences are down and we are not even guarenteed to be in the SPL next year (Though I believe we will be).

16 players out of contract and as most of us can see with our own green tinted specs some of these players are just not good enough. Again all needing to be replaced. CC has come in and tried just about everyone in every position and this makes him look like he doesn't have a clue to some, but lets for a minute ask the question what if he is trying this just to freshen up a squad who are just not performing and using all his knowledge trying his damnedest just so we can survive a very real relegation battle that he knows we are in? Maybe just maybe he has not got players in when the transfer window opened straight away because ............. We could speculate all day on that account and never hit the truth. Fans screaming for a new manager (which is their right) this adds pressure before a ball is even kicked in anger.

I for one will wait to see his players, play and the others who will definately come in during the major re-building he will have to do at the end of the season, when these so called players we have are free to go on their merry way.

I may be wrong and CC may not be the man for us HOWEVER I am 100% behind him and will remain so until I see HIS TEAM not performing to HIS TACTICS for that team. Until then I ask the question again if you were a manager would you come to HIBS and risk a short managerial career with us and a major blip on your CV.

So before we start thinking or screaming for a new manager we should ask the question who would come, and would they be any better than we have?

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2011, 10:08 AM

I can see only 2 types of manager being attracted to this job, someone out of work and desperate to get back into football or an up and coming manager trying to move on up in terms of stature.

Probably to an established manager the Hibs job is not as good as it would appear on paper. We are going through managers at an alarming speed. So I ask this question which established decent manager in a goob would walk away from it and enter the cauldron that its Hibs? If CC is sacked he would get compensation, the club we sign a new manager from would get compensation and this is all biting into player funds that we do not know how much this is set at. Attendences are down and we are not even guarenteed to be in the SPL next year (Though I believe we will be).

16 players out of contract and as most of us can see with our own green tinted specs some of these players are just not good enough. Again all needing to be replaced. CC has come in and tried just about everyone in every position and this makes him look like he doesn't have a clue to some, but lets for a minute ask the question what if he is trying this just to freshen up a squad who are just not performing and using all his knowledge trying his damnedest just so we can survive a very real relegation battle that he knows we are in? Maybe just maybe he has not got players in when the transfer window opened straight away because ............. We could speculate all day on that account and never hit the truth. Fans screaming for a new manager (which is their right) this adds pressure before a ball is even kicked in anger.

I for one will wait to see his players, play and the others who will definately come in during the major re-building he will have to do at the end of the season, when these so called players we have are free to go on their merry way.

I may be wrong and CC may not be the man for us HOWEVER I am 100% behind him and will remain so until I see HIS TEAM not performing to HIS TACTICS for that team. Until then I ask the question again if you were a manager would you come to HIBS and risk a short managerial career with us and a major blip on your CV.

So before we start thinking or screaming for a new manager we should ask the question who would come, and would they be any better than we have?

GGTTH

Now that is a fantastic question, one we seem to continually get wrong, and perhaps have again.

Woody1985
28-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I think it's the same situation with the players that we get.

Up and coming and will want to move to a bigger clubs on wages we'll never afford or another who has reached the peak level of their career but don't really get the fans going as they're run of the mill.

Managers will see a club like Hibs as a good place to learn, especially with the facilities, and a place to step up i.e. Mowbray.

jacomo
28-01-2011, 11:20 AM
There are many more candidates than there are available jobs. Most managers last 18 months or less in their first job, and many struggle to get another one. So there will always be people knocking on the door when Hibs have a vacancy.

However, I'd be against an appointment from within the old-boys network - too expensive, and unlikely to be a success. My preference would always be for a promising coach or young manager who's fiercely ambitious and really cares about developing young players and playing the right way.

McLeish, Mowbray and Collins all got this right (some more than others) but all of them struggled with signing the right players at times too.

Does Hibs need a Director of Football?

MB62
28-01-2011, 11:26 AM
If you were a manager, and you had only won 2 games out of 17 and not scored a goal in 5 or 6 matches, would you expect to be sacked?

Woody1985
28-01-2011, 11:44 AM
If you were a manager, and you had only won 2 games out of 17 and not scored a goal in 5 or 6 matches, would you expect to be sacked?

That's a separate issue for a separate thread.

The main point of this is 'if you were a manager would you come to Hibs' and what level could we expect.

MB62
28-01-2011, 12:44 PM
That's a separate issue for a separate thread.

The main point of this is 'if you were a manager would you come to Hibs' and what level could we expect.

I don't think it is a seperate issue. You are asking that if we sacked CC after such a short space of time then who would want the job, knowing that they may not have it for that long, given our record of sacking managers. However, every manager must come in to the job with the belief that they can turn thing around and make a success of things, something that has not happened in recent times with various managers. If they don't come with that attitude then they shouldn't be appointed.
If/when the managers job comes up at ER again, whenever that might be, there will plenty candidates for the post. The level of who we can appoint will depend on how much Rod is prepared to open up his purse.

silverhibee
28-01-2011, 01:15 PM

GGTTH

I would have thought Derek Adams would be our next manager if CC is sacked.

oxymoron
28-01-2011, 01:36 PM

GGTTH

:agree: Excellent post IMO - custs through the blood-rush of 'sack the manager' calls. Where is the evidence that someone new - and who might that even be - would be better at dealing with the mess that we currently have.

I for one would prefer to hold my breath for a while longer to see if CC can reshape what he currently has, as well as who he brings in now, into an improvement over the last few months of the season. A new manager right now - MADNESS!

LancashireHibby
28-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I would have thought Derek Adams would be our next manager if CC is sacked.

I thought the same, but if it reaches a stage of sacking CC because of the standard of results then surely his assistant has a degree of culpability for that as well?

Kaiser1962
28-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I thought the same, but if it reaches a stage of sacking CC because of the standard of results then surely his assistant has a degree of culpability for that as well?

I would think this would be the case as alternatively, if we win the rest of our games till next Christmas and CC is called to better (paid) things I would fully expect Adams to move with him.

I am reasonably comfortable with the way they have gone about their jobs now. New signings appear to be calculated and thoughtful and look to have addressed the issues we all knew we had, although we are not fully aware of he abilities of the players brouht in, I would hope our coaching team are! I will be a bit sad to see Zouma or Deeks go but there is always a trade-off in these things.

Now, hopefully, the plan works!

HibsMax
28-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Now that is a fantastic question, one we seem to continually get wrong, and perhaps have again.

I think you misunderstood the question, BH, at least the first part.

The question wasn't, "Who would Hibs bring in as the next manager?", it's "who would come?". There is a difference.

"Would they be better?" - well, we really don't know the answer to that question. If we did then we would never sign poor managers...

MB62
28-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I would think this would be the case as alternatively, if we win the rest of our games till next Christmas and CC is called to better (paid) things I would fully expect Adams to move with him.

I am reasonably comfortable with the way they have gone about their jobs now. New signings appear to be calculated and thoughtful and look to have addressed the issues we all knew we had, although we are not fully aware of he abilities of the players brouht in, I would hope our coaching team are! I will be a bit sad to see Zouma or Deeks go but there is always a trade-off in these things.

Now, hopefully, the plan works!

We have not yet signed the 12 foot 9 inch battering ram of a striker that would suit C.C' tactics of playing hoofball. :wink: :greengrin

HibsMax
28-01-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't think it is a seperate issue. You are asking that if we sacked CC after such a short space of time then who would want the job, knowing that they may not have it for that long, given our record of sacking managers. However, every manager must come in to the job with the belief that they can turn thing around and make a success of things, something that has not happened in recent times with various managers. If they don't come with that attitude then they shouldn't be appointed.
If/when the managers job comes up at ER again, whenever that might be, there will plenty candidates for the post. The level of who we can appoint will depend on how much Rod is prepared to open up his purse.

It IS a separate issue. The OP asked who would actually come to Hibs and manage us.

HibsMax
28-01-2011, 03:11 PM
My own answer to this question is, I don't know. I just know that if I saw the shambles that Hibs are in and knew that I only had a few months to get things sorted out before I was fired, I would have reservations about taking the position. That isn't a reflection on my own ability but I typically try and avoid setting myself up for failure.

MB62
28-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Terry Butcher? :dunno:

marleyhib
29-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Petrie can't sack Calderwood as he'll look bad.

I don't think Petrie can pick his a**e.

Hibs have to spend on players, we have to risk a bit of debt, the balance is wrong.

Petrie should quit in my opinion.

Normally there would be plenty of managers who'd jump at the Hibs job, I bet many are put off by working with Petrie.

And why o why do we have 16 players out of contract at the end of the season, how can any manager be expected to work with that.

Shambles.