PDA

View Full Version : Any comparisons of this team to Duff Jimmy's is unfair

Captain Trips
27-01-2011, 09:45 PM
...On Duff Jimmy's team :wink:

Joking aside I would have Dennis and Hughes in there just now any others?

Might have been pish but at least it honest graft over the 90mins, IMO on a whole this team is worse.

If Tall P1sh gets in anyones team all is lost.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I used to go every week in those days and the difference in apparent effort is quite tangible. I think thats why by and large the team back then had the backing of the fans more than this time around.

Bishop Hibee
27-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Might have been pish but at least it honest graft over the 90mins, IMO on a whole this team is worse.

Brown is better than Olly in goals. Nish would be a better full back than David Elliot or Jamie McQuilkin. Paul Tosh and Boco were on a par with the current mince.

Players who were better in that squad include Basher, Harper, Rougier (in patches), and Brebner (although on loan). Hughes or Dennis would have been good alongside Hanlon.

I wouldn't mind seeing an average line up 1-11 from 97/98 to compare against the present dross.

Captain Trips
27-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Brown is better than Olly in goals. Nish would be a better full back than David Elliot or Jamie McQuilkin. Paul Tosh and Boco were on a par with the current mince.

Players who were better in that squad include Basher, Harper, Rougier (in patches), and Brebner (although on loan). Hughes or Dennis would have been good alongside Hanlon.

I wouldn't mind seeing an average line up 1-11 from 97/98 to compare against the present dross.

Would be interesting

eastmainsmsh
27-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I used to go every week in those days and the difference in apparent effort is quite tangible. I think thats why by and large the team back then had the backing of the fans more than this time around.

Same here hutch...Effort was there then after a terrific start Chic Charnley esp who ended up playing for Kirkintilloch rob roy i think at end of that season ....Dennis was a monster who wasnt fit good player as well solid just lacked fitness... I remember playing at parkheid Davy Elliot was Awesome on left and Gunny in goals.... remeMber being at Fir Park getting gubbed 6-2 Eric Garcin scoring A snarler for Steelmen ... Glory days :flag:

Pinkie
27-01-2011, 10:33 PM
One of my abiding memories of that season (I think) was Rab Shannon just about killing a Dunfermline player. Straight through the back, nowhere near the ball. Red card. We won 1-0.

Ring any bells or did I imagine it?

eastmainsmsh
27-01-2011, 10:42 PM
One of my abiding memories of that season (I think) was Rab Shannon just about killing a Dunfermline player. Straight through the back, nowhere near the ball. Red card. We won 1-0.

Ring any bells or did I imagine it?

Think i remember that game i . mind east end park game and welshy scoring in injury time to save a point going in to United game i think..some team Brian Grant,Andy Walker,Gunn,Brebner all coming in on loan Mcleish just about saved us remember Brebner hitting bar in that penultimate United game with Kjell Oloffson scoring to send us down

Part/Time Supporter
27-01-2011, 11:47 PM

"average" lineups based on most league starts would be:

Brown (19 starts)

Hart (15)
Dickoh (15)
Bamba (16)
Hanlon (14)

Wotherspoon (13)
de Graaf (16)
Miller (18)
Rankin (14)

Nish (10)
Riordan (17)

NB Grounds made 13 starts, Murray 11, McBride 10. Galbraith 7 + 12 sub.

Interesting to note that even the highest number has missed three games already (Brown), mainly due to CC's chopping / changing over the last month.

Gottskalksson (16)

Boco (29)
Yogi (24)
Dods (29)
Miller (31)

Rougier (24)
McGinlay (33)
Charnley (17)
Dow (23)

Crawford (35)
Lavety (22)

Really struggling to fit all that into a 4-4-2 that makes any sort of sense. NB Harper made 20 starts, Welsh 15, Gunn 12, Chris Jackson 11, Brebner 9.

Perspective
27-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Amazing to think how well Charnley started that season.

Even talk of a Scotland call-up ahead of the World Cup before things nosedived spectacularly.

Felt far more of an affinity with that team than the one we have now, which is sad. Aside from Booth, Hanlon and Wotherspoon I wouldn't care if the rest left before the end of the window.

Captain Trips
27-01-2011, 11:58 PM
"average" lineups based on most league starts would be:

Brown (19 starts)

Hart (15)
Dickoh (15)
Bamba (16)
Hanlon (14)

Wotherspoon (13)
de Graaf (16)
Miller (18)
Rankin (14)

Nish (10)
Riordan (17)

NB Grounds made 13 starts, Murray 11, McBride 10. Galbraith 7 + 12 sub.

Interesting to note that even the highest number has missed three games already (Brown), mainly due to CC's chopping / changing over the last month.

Gottskalksson (16)

Boco (29)
Yogi (24)
Dods (29)
Miller (31)

Rougier (24)
McGinlay (33)
Charnley (17)
Dow (23)

Crawford (35)
Lavety (22)

Really struggling to fit all that into a 4-4-2 that makes any sort of sense. NB Harper made 20 starts, Welsh 15, Gunn 12, Chris Jackson 11, Brebner 9.

Brilliant PTS

SouthamptonHibs
28-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Hughes was gash as a hibs player..with him at the back we won a play off to stay in the league the next season we got relegated then he had a season in the 1st....

We are in trouble if we think a player like hughes is the answer!!!

Captain Trips
28-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Hughes was gash as a hibs player..with him at the back we won a play off to stay in the league the next season we got relegated then he had a season in the 1st....

We are in trouble if we think a player like hughes is the answer!!!

Well I thought he was alright, I nevver said it would be choice now but if I had to choose from the 2 squads he would have a shout.