PDA

View Full Version : SPL TV - What a bunch of fannies.

Beefster
27-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Did they not learn the last time?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9378564.stm

BigKev
27-01-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree. Idiots. Doubt they'd get 10000 regular subscribers. Probably get those who are willing to pay for one off games such as the OF game and our derby but another poor idea from Mr Doncaster.

Woody1985
27-01-2011, 05:10 PM
They're probably just exploring the options and looking like they're actually trying to do something.

It won't happen but might pave the way for the OF to sell their rights individually if the findings are that 'Scottish football' would generate more income that way.

frazeHFC
27-01-2011, 06:23 PM
There would be absolutely no chance of me subscribing. Aside Hibs, i cannot stand watching SPL football, seeing as it is always the Old Firm away from home.

Jack
27-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Between this and the 10 team SPL are there any [new] ideas people in charge of Scottish football? No innovators; no leaders; no-one willing to challenge.

The SFA, SPL, SFL and the hundreds of other Scottish Footballing authorities are like a drain chocked with grease and they're chucking hot fat down to clear it!

I know recycling is in vogue but for what these guys are paid we should be demanding more from them.

machibby
27-01-2011, 06:50 PM
After another game with numb feet and dripping nose, I wish they would just concentrate on pushing summer football through.

HibeesLA
28-01-2011, 04:05 AM
I guess no one read to the bottom of the article before deciding to get out the clubs and start bashing everyone:

Despite all that, Mitchell believes that the SPL TV idea is likely to be merely a useful bargaining chip when negotiating a new broadcasting deal.

I'd hate to have people running my business who don't actually investigate possibilities before dismissing them.

Minder
28-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Not a bad idea:

9.00 Come Dine With Me - starring FJK
10.00 Bargain Hunt - The Rangers story
11.00 Cash in the Attic - Hosted by Rod Petrie
12.00 Romanov - The War Years
13.00 Dr Reid's Casebook - How to treat paranoia

God, the programmes could be endless

Beefster
28-01-2011, 08:44 AM
I guess no one read to the bottom of the article before deciding to get out the clubs and start bashing everyone:

I'd hate to have people running my business who don't actually investigate possibilities before dismissing them.

Aye, I read it. Aside from the fact that it's only Mitchell's opinion, they tried that last time and IIRC Sky walked away and the SPL had to do a seriously inferior deal with the BBC.

If the folk running my business decided to spend money on a tactic that almost bankrupted us the last time we tried it, I'd be pretty pissed off.

lucky
28-01-2011, 08:45 AM

That tactic worked well last time they tried it. Sky laughed at them and walked away. The BBC stepped in offered pennies and its been down hill ever simce.

88% of scottish football fans dont want a 10 team league, so what genius thinks the same fans are going to pay for a separate scottish football channel?

Steve-O
28-01-2011, 09:06 AM
200,000 subscribers :faf: :faf: :faf:

billbee
28-01-2011, 09:09 AM
GTF:aok:

Hibbyradge
28-01-2011, 09:11 AM

Indeed.

Idiots and fannies! :wink:

Houchy
28-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Not a bad idea:

Saturday nights:

18:00 Blind date - Scott Brown special (it's his only chance really):greengrin
19:00 Pope Idol - Celtc fans can call in and vote for a new Pope.

Could be a winner

Hibbyradge
28-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Saturday nights:

18:00 Blind date - Scott Brown special (it's his only chance really):greengrin
19:00 Pope Idol - Celtc fans can call in and vote for a new Pope.

Could be a winner

20.00 The Mentalist - (The possibilities are endless :greengrin )

Phil D. Rolls
28-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Not a bad idea:

All Day and Every Day: Shameless

jdships
28-01-2011, 11:19 AM

After you have " read to the bottom of the article " sit down with a piece of paper and write down the FACTS of the matter
The subscribers are just not there to support a "stand alone" football TV channel in Scotland for a start .
ESPN , Sky make money from football because of their "TV packages "
The last time this idea was mooted it was later proved it could have bankrupted Scottish football - what makes you think it would be different this time round.

:confused:

miniboco
28-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Do you reckon it would work if we expanded the league to 16 or 18 teams - two games against each other and the supporters of the other 'lower' teams would payfor it to the likes of hearts vs falkirk etc or would it have to adverse affect on attendences?

Just a thought!

Hibbyradge
28-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Do you reckon it would work if we expanded the league to 16 or 18 teams - two games against each other and the supporters of the other 'lower' teams would payfor it to the likes of hearts vs falkirk etc or would it have to adverse affect on attendences?

Just a thought!

I thought the plan was to create 2 SPL's so that would mean 20 teams involved in any TV deal.

Steve-O
29-01-2011, 12:44 AM
I thought the plan was to create 2 SPL's so that would mean 20 teams involved in any TV deal.

Subscribers will be queuing up to watch Ross County v Raith Rovers LIVE FROM DINGWALL...:greengrin

It's just a terrible idea that would never come close to making money IMO.

It was more realistic last time it was floated as a possibility as the general quality of the game here was better and it was still a stupid idea back then.

Now...I can't imagine many people getting it, unless it was about 5 quid a month.

iwasthere1972
29-01-2011, 12:44 AM
20.00 The Mentalist - (The possibilities are endless :greengrin )

21.00 Faking It. This week Dutch bin man Edwin de Graaf tries to pass himself off as a footballer. Definitely one worth recording.

ScottB
29-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Hilarious that they think there will be any negotiation at all! If Sky and ESPN decide to bid again they will no doubt do another joint 'take it or leave it' effort and be done with it. If anything the SPL TV crap makes it likely that we end up with no TV deal worth mentioning at all once they annoy those two with ludicrous projections like they are coming out with now!

On the plus side, that would remove the supposed argument against a 16 team league :greengrin

HibeesLA
29-01-2011, 08:38 AM
After you have " read to the bottom of the article " sit down with a piece of paper and write down the FACTS of the matter
The subscribers are just not there to support a "stand alone" football TV channel in Scotland for a start .
The last time this idea was mooted it was later proved it could have bankrupted Scottish football - what makes you think it would be different this time round.

I did read to the bottom of it, and where did I say I was in favour of it? All I commented upon was the fact that people are jumping up and down because they thought to investigate something.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll see that there is no business there for them and not go with it, but hey, that gets in the way of good slating on the internet.

Keith_M
29-01-2011, 10:00 AM
21.00 Faking It. This week Dutch bin man Edwin de Graaf tries to pass himself off as a footballer. Definitely one worth recording.

12:30 (Sundays) - Antiques Roadshow: Davie Weir in any away game.

:greengrin

sahib
29-01-2011, 12:14 PM

I have not really followed this story but surely the SPl should explore every possible avenue for improving it's income. I take it you don't have the facts and figures in front of you, anymore than I do. People make assumptions, perhaps the deal they get from the duopoly of ESPN and Sky is so poor that other options are now goers.

--------
29-01-2011, 12:18 PM
A Golden Oldie from "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out Of Here..." - "The Kevin Thomson Story..."

Followed by -

"Emergency Vets - the Kevin Thomson Story..."

"Last of the Summer Wine: the Chic Charnley Story..."

Woody1985
29-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Despite all that, Mitchell believes that the SPL TV idea is likely to be merely a useful bargaining chip when negotiating a new broadcasting deal.

If you have a bargaining chip for negotiations, would you normally know that it's not viable but then try and use that as a chip anyway? :confused:

Franck is God
29-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I was hoping last time that they were going to follow the French coverage of their top league.

All the games were played at the same time and televised simultaneously but on a 10-15 second delay. You picked the game that you wanted to watch but if there was a goal in another game it flashed on the screen so you could switch and see it go in 'live'

The teams were all able to cover their strips in logos and advertising, and surround the pitches with billboards which all increased their income.

I know that I would subscribe to that kind of service where Setanta/ESPN/Sky was never that attractive to non weedgies as they only want to show Rangers and Celtic away games.

Dinkydoo
29-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Speaking of fannies, was listening to radio scotland this morning whilst eating my breakfast and found out that apparently the Tampa Bay Rowdies call thier fans "fannies" :tee hee:

I know, I'm so mature. :wink:

--------
29-01-2011, 04:17 PM
If you have a bargaining chip for negotiations, would you normally know that it's not viable but then try and use that as a chip anyway? :confused:

Well, the LAST time the SPL tried to use the idea of their own channel as a bargaining chip, the bargaining went like this:

SPL diddy: "We're thinking of setting up our own TV channel unless you give us more money."

SKY rep: "Fine, cheers - on you go then. Byeee!"

Which was what put us and a whole lot of other SPL clubs in the financial doo-doo LAST time around.

Not ONE of these guys should be let out on his own without a keeper. :bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Well, the LAST time the SPL tried to use the idea of their own channel as a bargaining chip, the bargaining went like this:

SPL diddy: "We're thinking of setting up our own TV channel unless you give us more money."

Which was what put us and a whole lot of other SPL clubs in the financial doo-doo LAST time around.

Better not be Maka on todays display. :greengrin

--------
29-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Better not be Maka on todays display. :greengrin

A bad day at the office, was it? Oh dear.

snooky
29-01-2011, 05:10 PM
A Golden Oldie from "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out Of Here..." - "The Kevin Thomson Story..."

Followed by -

"Emergency Vets - the Kevin Thomson Story..."

"Last of the Summer Wine: the Chic Charnley Story..."

And later this week .....

“Soap” – Re-runs of the popular series (note: not available in Glasgow East End)

“Murder She Wrote” – Journalist Moira Gordon looks at the first half of the SPL season from a Hibs perspective.

“Weir’s Way” – Refereeing consultation programme

“Strictly Come Dancing” – Live celebrations direct from the streets of Raith

“Yogi Bear” – the popular cartoon character gets lost in the park.

“The Bill” – a look into the pitfalls of having a foreign owner.

“Silent Witness” – Steven Craven chats to Dougie McDonald

jdships
29-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I did read to the bottom of it, and where did I say I was in favour of it? All I commented upon was the fact that people are jumping up and down because they thought to investigate something.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll see that there is no business there for them and not go with it, but hey, that gets in the way of good slating on the internet.

Where did I say you "were in favour " of it " ?
All I was doing was replying to your rather pointed remark " I'd hate to have people running my business who don't actually investigate possibilities before dismissing them. "
As you say never let the facts/truth get in the way of a good story

jdships
29-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I have not really followed this story but surely the SPl should explore every possible avenue for improving it's income. I take it you don't have the facts and figures in front of you, anymore than I do. People make assumptions, perhaps the deal they get from the duopoly of ESPN and Sky is so poor that other options are now goers.

Look at SPL reports in newspapers and on line and the "facts" are there for you to see .
The "practicality's" were well documented the last time this was mooted and basically what is being put forward now is the same .
Agree with what you say re Sky/ESPN but media experts I have spoken with agree there is no chance that a "One League " TV channel could stand alone without serious subsidy

Steve-O
29-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Exactly.

And now they've admitted it's "likely to merely be a bargaining tool" Sky and ESPN will probably offer even less in the knowledge that SPL TV could NEVER take off and survive without a marked increase in the quality of the league, which of course cannot happen without more money coming in.

Ah, the old catch 22...