PDA

View Full Version : Towell De Graff & Relegation

Speedway
27-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Three questions for discussion:

1. Does anyone agree with me that a 19 year old Celtic Reserve with 1 first team game to his credit looked sharper, fitter, hungrier and more football minded than the rest of our team? Real shame he blotted his copy book or else it would have been a strong debut.

2. Does anyone agree that De Graff, whilst of no use to us whatsoever, rarely misplaces a pass and whilst he has a Tigana-like allergy to holding on to the ball, has decided his pass before he even receives the ball?

3. Hibs like to finish in the bottom two places every ten years or so. Early 80's Early 90's, Late 90's and now early 10's. What does it matter if we get relegated? Seriously. What does it matter?

truehibernian
27-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I liked Towell and thought he was excellent, and including the mishap with the backpass. Good going forward, always looking to get the ball moving, decisive and what a throw the lad has. It's as good as a corner or set piece when we get to the edge of the opposition box. The backpass was poor, but for a 19 year old to get the chin up and continue where he left off is encouraging. Good to see the crowd give both Booth and Towell some much needed encouragement.

De Graaf......can't agree Speedway. Yes he passes, but it's side to side and not to anyone in any real penetrating area. It's hurried. He also doesn't track back, and unless the pitch suddenly became the size of a matchbox, he is most definitely not the "box to box" midfielder that was promised.

Relegation.......because of my love of Hibernan, it wouldn't matter to me if they were in the East of Scotland league, I would still support them. But realistically, we are better than that and we should be challenging year in year out for honours and Euro places. We have a soft soft underbelly, a lack of real discipline, and more crucially a lack or real determined leadership on the pitch.....and that includes having players that are unanimously respected by all around them. There is no "fear factor" at Hibs.....it's still touchy feely, smiles and jokes........I was angry last night but have simmered, but when you see young Derek laughing and joking on the bench when you are 2-0 down and looking like you are on the end of a humping, for me, it shows a real lack of understanding and sorry (I know it sounds dinosaury) a lack of respect. I would be utterly raging and face tripping me. Maybe I am just being too harsh.....who knows.

BEEJ
27-01-2011, 10:46 AM
3. Hibs like to finish in the bottom two places every ten years or so. Early 80's Early 90's, Late 90's and now early 10's. What does it matter if we get relegated? Seriously. What does it matter?
How many seasons do you think it would take us to clamber back into the 10 team SPL?

What would the financial consequences of this next 'great adventure' be for the club?

Wakeyhibee
27-01-2011, 10:55 AM

About £2-3m lighter than we are already in contracts to be honoured with a lack of TV revenue

Would give RP an excuse to stay on longer to create more financial stability (conveniently forgetting its his investments that got us here)

Any new prospects coming through if there are any would be sold even more quickly than they do now to balance the books.

Meanwhile we would be promised new faces only to get Darlingtons reserve CB or Halifax's 3rd string potwasher.

The additional debt would neatly dovetail into when the mortage repayments on the stands start negating for 5 years any investment in the team.

After that another 10 year cyclical relegation puts us a further £5m in debt so no more investment in the team.

After that the training facility will be out of date and need replacing - no more investment in the team.

After that man steps foot on Pluto - RP invests in cold training facilities on Pluto - Another Hibernian First but no new players FFS !!!!!

After that Hibs win the 2120 Scottish Cup playing 1-1-8 attacking football against an All Star Mars select XI in zero gravity.

.....I'm all for relegation if RP can see that far into the future

lucky
27-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I agree Towell looked the part. de Gaffer can play football but does not have the pace for the SPL. Relegation will seriously harm Hibs as such we much spend a little to stay up

brog
27-01-2011, 11:18 AM

1. Does anyone agree with me that a 19 year old Celtic Reserve with 1 first team game to his credit looked sharper, fitter, hungrier and more football minded than the rest of our team? Real shame he blotted his copy book or else it would have been a strong debut.

2. Does anyone agree that De Graff, whilst of no use to us whatsoever, rarely misplaces a pass and whilst he has a Tigana-like allergy to holding on to the ball, has decided his pass before he even receives the ball?

Good post, I thought Towell was excellent & I thought De Graff did well also, mind you that may be because he replaced McBride who turned in the most inept 45 minutes in a Hibs jersey that I can remember. In fact, that may be the best news from last night because I doubt we'll ever see K McB play for Hibs again. afraid I can't agree with point 3 although I understand the sentiments.

Cropley10
27-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Good OP.

Towell - looking forward to seeing more of him, hopefully we can swap him for Hart plus cash.

De Graff - last night edge of their box, back to goal, goes to play a 1-2 but the other player doesn't continue his run. He must think at time WTF. Likewise when he and Hanlon kept passing to each other - I think Ed was saying pass it out wide, to Booth, Galbraith... I'd really like him to come good, but he can't run properly.

Relegation - no thanks. Only if it meant we learned what got us there and changed things. We should be nowhere near relegation.

greenlex
27-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Good OP.

Towell - looking forward to seeing more of him, hopefully we can swap him for Hart plus cash.

De Graff - last night edge of their box, back to goal, goes to play a 1-2 but the other player doesn't continue his run. He must think at time WTF. Likewise when he and Hanlon kept passing to each other - I think Ed was saying pass it out wide, to Booth, Galbraith... I'd really like him to come good, but he can't run properly.

Relegation - no thanks. Only if it meant we learned what got us there and changed things. We should be nowhere near relegation.
Agree with entire post.:agree:
There is a football brain in DeGraff but the body isnt in sync with it.

Cropley10
27-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Agree with entire post.:agree:

Incredible! :faint: :greengrin

greenlex
27-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Incredible! :faint: :greengrin
Couldnt believe it myself as I was typing it. :greengrin

IFONLY
27-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Good OP.

Oh aye Celtic would really want/need Hart

IFONLY
27-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Nothing much except lower income, attracting lesser players than we are doing at the moment(if that is at all possible) , the prospect of being in that division for a couple of seasons etc. etc .etc.

Sammy7nil
27-01-2011, 12:46 PM
I agree Towell looked the part. de Gaffer can play football but does not have the pace for the SPL. Relegation will seriously harm Hibs as such we much spend a little to stay up

Probably about right, I thought De Ghost had his best game last night that was not difficult.

joebakerforever
27-01-2011, 12:59 PM

1. Apart from the error, he was ok, but Booth put in a better shift than any other Hibs player. I did appreciate he can throw a ball accurately and some distance which is more than any of the present team can do.

2. Still likely to be caught in possession and often looks to pass backwards rather than forwards. Still think he is too slow.

3. You're having a laugh. The fact that the gates will plummet and revenue will decline sharply and we might end up like Dundee in the mire for yonks ?

Get real.

Gatecrasher
27-01-2011, 01:06 PM

I thought he played well, he ticked all of the qualities above and even put some of our 1st team players to shame - i will also say the same for Booth

De Graff looks lost a lot of the time, i dont think he is adjusting to the SPL at all. A shame IMO as he looked like a decent player, but its not working out.

It matters for the managers budget if anything else, to keep what tv money coming in and allows us to keep the players we want to keep and may even get ones we couldnt get if we were to go down. Although being relegation was probably a good thing for us last time round

my opinions in bold above

Green_one
27-01-2011, 01:09 PM
1. Fine he might be a good wee player but he confirmed my concerns by making a critical mistake. That is what happens when you are short of experience. At the end of the day he goes back to Celtic.
2. De Graff - waste of space - not geared for Scottish game. Has some signs of being a decent player in the past
3. Relegation is a killer and we were fortunate to get back up in a oner last time.

The fact that you are including 3 is an indication of all our thoughts.

Houchy
27-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Oh aye Celtic would really want/need Hart

:tee hee: That's what I was thinking

Celtic: if you want him, he's £100,000

Hibs: We'll give you £80,000 plus Hart

Celtic: £150,000 if you're wanting us to take Hart too.

Speedway
27-01-2011, 01:10 PM
1. Apart from the error, he was ok, but Booth put in a better shift than any other Hibs player. I did appreciate he can throw a ball accurately and some distance which is more than any of the present team can do.

2. Still likely to be caught in possession and often looks to pass backwards rather than forwards. Still think he is too slow.

3. You're having a laugh. The fact that the gates will plummet and revenue will decline sharply and we might end up like Dundee in the mire for yonks ?

Get real.

What happened to gates last time when a relegated side got replaced by an all conquering side, one division down?

Wakeyhibee
27-01-2011, 01:39 PM
What happened to gates last time when a relegated side got replaced by an all conquering side, one division down?

they went up !!
1998 - 1999 10220
1999 - 2000 12070
2000 - 2001 10793
2001 - 2002 11588

Speedway
27-01-2011, 01:42 PM
they went up !!
1998 - 1999 10220
1999 - 2000 12070
2000 - 2001 10793
2001 - 2002 11588

exactament.

people pay to watch a winning side and don't to watch a losing side.

Attendances would improve in division 1 if it was akin to last time.

smurf
27-01-2011, 01:43 PM
they went up !!
1998 - 1999 10220
1999 - 2000 12070
2000 - 2001 10793
2001 - 2002 11588

You've got that wrong.

We were in the First Division season 1998-1999.

Overall the average gate went down by around 2000.

This was in the main though down to the much reduced away support in the SFL.

The actual Hibs support stayed more or less the same.

Anyone thinking being relegated "Wouldn't matter" is mental.

Our finances would take a battering. Our credibility as a club even more so.

smurf
27-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Attendances would improve in division 1 if it was akin to last time.

Not true and no evidence to back this up.

Attendances at ER fell by around 30,000 season 1998-1999 in the SFL from 1997-1998 SPL.

Around 600K.

Look at the drop in our turnover the year 1998-1999 when out of the SPL.

Speedway
27-01-2011, 01:51 PM
You've got that wrong.

We were in the First Division season 1998-1999.

Overall the average gate went down by around 2000.

This was in the main though down to the much reduced away support in the SFL.

The actual Hibs support stayed more or less the same.

Anyone thinking being relegated "Wouldn't matter" is mental.

Our finances would take a battering. Our credibility as a club even more so.

Again, and I'm not at it here, what does it matter if your statement is correct?

IFONLY
27-01-2011, 01:55 PM

We had a good team then Sauzee, Latapy,Mixu etc. We dont have anywhere near that quality now. IMO we have lost fans who will never return. Attendances might go up but revenue will go down, just like the last time.

DCI Gene Hunt
27-01-2011, 01:57 PM
What does it matter? What, the fact that we are playing utter keech and rapidly heading for the 1st Div, and if we do get relegated whilst continuing to play to the poor standard we are we will not be returning to the SPL in a hurry?

Can you confirm that what you are saying is that this does not matter?

G :brickwall

Speedway
27-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Not true and no evidence to back this up.

Attendances at ER fell by around 30,000 season 1998-1999 in the SFL from 1997-1998 SPL.

Around 600K.

Look at the drop in our turnover the year 1998-1999 when out of the SPL.

Hibs attendances or away fans?

Speedway
27-01-2011, 01:58 PM
What does it matter? What, the fact that we are playing utter keech and rapidly heading for the 1st Div, and if we do get relegated whilst continuing to play to the poor standard we are we will not be returning to the SPL in a hurry?

Can you confirm that what you are saying is that this does not matter?

G :brickwall

If we go down, so what?

Seriously, so what?

IFONLY
27-01-2011, 02:00 PM
If we go down, so what?

Seriously, so what?

God loves a smart arse so they say, why not try being one somewhere else. Cant stand people who try to court controversy.

superfurryhibby
27-01-2011, 02:04 PM

I have gazed into my crystal ball and it tells me that the fans will not buy into any great adventure nonsense this time around. It says that seasons ticket sales will plummet, as will revenue from Tv money, sponsorship, spl league placement cash and many more knock on effects.

Very optimistic/ naive view being taken here, don't believe it for moment

AS for De Graff-sorry seen nothing to suggest that he has what it takes to make a difference.

Towell played well enough and didn't look out of place, shame about gifting the goal and effectively the game. He had a mixed start.

DCI Gene Hunt
27-01-2011, 02:06 PM
If we go down, so what?

Seriously, so what?

Do you support Hibs?

I think most of us who support our team want to see them do as well as possible. Playing pish poor and failing at every hurdle is not a "so what" matter. At least not to fans... :hmmm:

G

smurf
27-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Hibs attendances or away fans?

Actual Hibs support within ER was pretty static. The fall came from the fall in away fans.

Financially, the drop was horrific for the club despite the support pretty much staying with us. I'm not so sure they would this time though for many reasons....

I DO find the irony in this thread pretty remarkable....

If I or any others in the so called "Anti boardroom brigade" started a thread calling for the board to somehow find the money to invest an additional one to two million quid on the park now to avoid relegation....

From posters like you we would get all sorts of ridicule and incredulity at the suggestion.

We can't gamble with our finances. That's financial suicide. You are against the club. Are you a Yam?. Etc etc.

But hey Relegation? That's ok.

Speedway
27-01-2011, 02:12 PM
God loves a smart arse so they say, why not try being one somewhere else. Cant stand people who try to court controversy.

Have a rest.

I have gazed into my crystal ball and it tells me that the fans will not buy into any great adventure nonsense this time around. It says that seasons ticket sales will plummet, as will revenue from Tv money, sponsorship, spl league placement cash and many more knock on effects.

Very optimistic/ naive view being taken here, don't believe it for moment

AS for De Graff-sorry seen nothing to suggest that he has what it takes to make a difference.

Towell played well enough and didn't look out of place, shame about gifting the goal and effectively the game. He had a mixed start.

Agree with the view on the great adventure although die hards will just suck up whatever they're fed to a degree. I think the shareholders are now entitled to an EGM to see what provisions the board are making for going down.

Do you support Hibs?

I think most of us who support our team want to see them do as well as possible. Playing pish poor and failing at every hurdle is not a "so what" matter. At least not to fans... :hmmm:

G

No DCI, I've been here since the late 90's and have over 8,000 posts whilst reporting alongside Mikey and others from various AGMs and other club events down the years, I don't support Hibs.

Speedway
27-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Actual Hibs support within ER was pretty static. The fall came from the fall in away fans.

Financially, the drop was horrific for the club despite the support pretty much staying with us. I'm not so sure they would this time though for many reasons....

I DO find the irony in this thread pretty remarkable....

If I or any others in the so called "Anti boardroom brigade" started a thread calling for the board to somehow find the money to invest an additional one to two million quid on the park now to avoid relegation....

From posters like you we would get all sorts of ridicule and incredulity at the suggestion.

We can't gamble with our finances. That's financial suicide. You are against the club. Are you a Yam?. Etc etc.

But hey Relegation? That's ok.

Who said it was OK?

steviehibsleith
27-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Good OP.

I have thought for a while DeGraff is ok but lacking a bit of pace but he always gives a 100% and weather its defending or attacking he pops up attacking at the end last night he won flick on that Nish couldnt reach and when defending hes at least backtracking maybe not getting in the finish that we all would like but i genuinely belive he needs more help - In games playing alongside zemmamma, riordan, galbraith, wotherspoon yes he looks headless but maybe if the names mentioned did there defensive duties as all midfielders should do then then pehrhaps he wouldnt have to chase everywhere slowly .

Im not saying hes great but many other players are getting a easy time of the fans cos they are young or a hibbie . As many posts have said he did ok last night well lets get off his back and support him as goes for all other players who want to start trying.

smurf
27-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Who said it was OK?

What does it matter? Splitting hairs in your attempt to be controversial.

Speedway
27-01-2011, 03:21 PM
What does it matter? Splitting hairs in your attempt to be controversial.

No, not splitting hairs and not controversial.

C'mon Yams, get stuck into this Hibee ***** would be a more controversial thing to say and much easier.

My point is different. My point is that in every era of HIbs on the internet age, the loud faction of fans have been critical, looking for positive change whilst only contributing negativity, as if players and the club can't hear what they shout, read what they post and it has no effect etc :doh:

Their contribution to the solution is to exacerbate the problem. It's not as if the abuse is well thought out and it's not as if individuals have collected their facts and gone to the club to present their concerns and entered into a dialogue as a result is it?

No, they just spout on here.

'So shall we just smile and applaud everthing then and pretend nothing's wrong?' is the usual brain-free comment that comes next in response. Except I'm not saying we should do that either.

I'm saying, since fans are not happy under any manager (apparently no Hibs manager since Duffy has had a 'Plan B' and at least the last 4 have been 'Tactically Clueless' as designated by the Tactically Clueless on here) then what does relegation matter?

You won't starve, you won't lose your job (unless you worked for the club and in which case it won't take you long to find another one) Your children won't die and your house won't be repossessed if Hibs are relegated.

Hibs will play football in a different league and might just stand a chance of winning something. We'll still be in the Scottish and therefore still have a route to Europe, we'll have crap playing for us just like we do now (ooops, can't use 'we' I'm not a Hibs fan...forgot, sorry)

We go down, we go up, we get knocked out, we go through, we win, we lose, we finish 6th, we finish 8th, we finish 4th.

What does it matter?

benrocky
27-01-2011, 05:54 PM
I have thought for a while DeGraff is ok but lacking a bit of pace but he always gives a 100% and weather its defending or attacking he pops up attacking at the end last night he won flick on that Nish couldnt reach and when defending hes at least backtracking maybe not getting in the finish that we all would like but i genuinely belive he needs more help - In games playing alongside zemmamma, riordan, galbraith, wotherspoon yes he looks headless but maybe if the names mentioned did there defensive duties as all midfielders should do then then pehrhaps he wouldnt have to chase everywhere slowly .

Im not saying hes great but many other players are getting a easy time of the fans cos they are young or a hibbie . As many posts have said he did ok last night well lets get off his back and support him as goes for all other players who want to start trying.

He will never be a player treats the ball like a hot tattie gets rid as soon as he gets it punt him move on

superfurryhibby
27-01-2011, 06:12 PM

C'mon Yams, get stuck into this Hibee ***** would be a more controversial thing to say and much easier.

My point is different. My point is that in every era of HIbs on the internet age, the loud faction of fans have been critical, looking for positive change whilst only contributing negativity, as if players and the club can't hear what they shout, read what they post and it has no effect etc :doh:

Their contribution to the solution is to exacerbate the problem. It's not as if the abuse is well thought out and it's not as if individuals have collected their facts and gone to the club to present their concerns and entered into a dialogue as a result is it?

'So shall we just smile and applaud everthing then and pretend nothing's wrong?' is the usual brain-free comment that comes next in response. Except I'm not saying we should do that either.

I'm saying, since fans are not happy under any manager (apparently no Hibs manager since Duffy has had a 'Plan B' and at least the last 4 have been 'Tactically Clueless' as designated by the Tactically Clueless on here) then what does relegation matter?

You won't starve, you won't lose your job (unless you worked for the club and in which case it won't take you long to find another one) Your children won't die and your house won't be repossessed if Hibs are relegated.

Hibs will play football in a different league and might just stand a chance of winning something. We'll still be in the Scottish and therefore still have a route to Europe, we'll have crap playing for us just like we do now (ooops, can't use 'we' I'm not a Hibs fan...forgot, sorry)

We go down, we go up, we get knocked out, we go through, we win, we lose, we finish 6th, we finish 8th, we finish 4th.

What does it matter?

Football is in many ways ridiculous but there again so is life. It is random and the only meaning it has are the ones we attach to it.

For what it's worth you don't need a computer to feel pissed off at Hibs. I was oot with two older boys last week and they were both very animated about what's going on at ER, they had a combined age of 138 and they have never used a PC in their puffs.

Cropley10
27-01-2011, 07:10 PM

What does it matter?

Football is the most important of life's least important things.

Of course it's not really important, in the grand scheme of things. It's a game - but it's also a release, entertainment, pride, rivalry, history and everything else besides.

We've all be told to be patient, good times are round the corner, Hertz will go bust soon, and so on - but right now we're going backwards not forwards.

Removed
27-01-2011, 07:15 PM
We've all be told to be patient, good times are round the corner, Hertz will go bust soon, and so on - but right now we're going backwards not forwards.

But is that not part of Speedway's point? We are always going backward then forwards then back again. Why worry?

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2011, 07:25 PM
But is that not part of Speedway's point? We are always going backward then forwards then back again. Why worry?

I wish i knew that answer? I wish i didn't give a toss, but i do and thousands others too? In fact i think Hibs are a lot more important in folks life than they care to admit.

Removed
27-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I wish i knew that answer? I wish i didn't give a toss, but i do and thousands others too? In fact i think Hibs are a lot more important in folks life than they care to admit.

:agree: but if we get relegated I will continue to support the team I love. We've suffered before and will again. If not this season then another. It's just an unfortunate fact of life if you're a Hibby.

Speedway
27-01-2011, 08:25 PM

That's exactly my point 65bd, thank you.

Allant1981
28-01-2011, 04:56 AM
if we got relegated id be really pee'd off, i dont want to watch crap like stirling or morton coming to ER, i want to see hibs challenging with the best teams in the country. I look forward to derby games(even if we dont win) Yip we had fun going to crappy wee stadiums the last time but i dont fancy it again and i dont fancy seeing hibs go without the revenue that the SPL brings.

1st division can go :bye: