PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ian Murray still playing?

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Carrying on from the Smith thread, Ian Murray is finished, and has been for quite a while.

We have tried him at left back and that was a mistake. Skinned for pace and little contribution when on the ball.

Midfield, booked most weeks, and subbed too. Gets in the way and some folk think thats his good bits. Slow and ponderous in possession, little ability on the ball, and does get the odd tackle in now and again, but more often than not is chasing shadows.

Centre half, Ayr United need i saw any more?

The two new midfielders have to be better than we currently have, if not we are in deep trouble?

magnificent_seven
26-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Carrying on from the Smith thread, Ian Murray is finished, and has been for quite a while.

We have tried him at left back and that was a mistake. Skinned for pace and little contribution when on the ball.

Midfield, booked most weeks, and subbed too. Gets in the way and some folk think thats his good bits. Slow and ponderous in possession, little ability on the ball, and does get the odd tackle in now and again, but more often than not is chasing shadows.

The two new midfielders have to be better than we currently have, if not we are in deep trouble?

I posted this in another thread, he has been finished for months. Never been the same player that we had in his first spell. It kind of saddens me a little on how bad he has actually become, what with the injuries he has had. Was an excellent player before he sold his soul to the Huns. A shadow of his former self now.

3pm
26-01-2011, 11:24 PM
He was at fault for the 1st goal.

H!BEE
26-01-2011, 11:25 PM
he is still playing cause uptil about 3 weeks ago he was the only player who cared, tried and actually put a tackle in!

legs are away, bit like degraph.

Will always be a legend in my book, esp for the 1973 shaved into his head for the derby! and i do love his mis-timed challenges, esp that one in gorgie just a few weeks ago!!!!

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

a guy behind me in the east shouted the other week "get him murray" pure quality so it was!!!!

truehibernian
26-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Have to agree. Tonight Nid and McBride were simply awful and found wanting for pace and bite. McBride in particular is just soooooo slooooooow it's untrue.

Don't know quite Nid's best position in the side, but perhaps at centre half where all he needs to do is get his head and body into things and clear lines :confused:

Towell looked a good addition despite the mistake, and Booth looks like he will fit in perfectly. Delighted to see we now have full backs that look like they want to get forward, pick a pass and have energy........and Towell's throw-in's are as good as a set piece.....as long as we have someone other than that useless huddy Nish to aim at......only thing he did positive tonight was collect a booking !

Hibercelona
26-01-2011, 11:26 PM
I've always regarded Murray as one of our best players. :confused:

He isn't perfect, but he's one of the few players (if not the only one) who doesn't shy out of tackles and other challenges.

MrRobot
26-01-2011, 11:34 PM

He isn't perfect, but he's one of the few players (if not the only one) who doesn't shy out of tackles and other challenges.

Thats true but he is allowing the players he is marking to wander about too much now, isn't closing down enough. I dont think we should get rid, deffo a good squad player but I can't see a start every week and getting 90 minutes. He isnt marking as he should be, the only thing he has at the moment is that he cares and doesnt shy from a tackle. IMO Stevenson should be in the heart of midfield. Reminds me of Murray a bit, doesnt shy a tackle and actually cares.

Hibercelona
26-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Thats true but he is allowing the players he is marking to wander about too much now, isn't closing down enough. I dont think we should get rid, deffo a good squad player but I can't see a start every week and getting 90 minutes. He isnt marking as he should be, the only thing he has at the moment is that he cares and doesnt shy from a tackle. IMO Stevenson should be in the heart of midfield. Reminds me of Murray a bit, doesnt shy a tackle and actually cares.

Totally agree. :agree:

So he still offers more than any other player on the pitch. :greengrin

Our other players don't mark properly, they can't make a 2 yard pass, and they wimp out of every single challenge.....

We even have Nish who now does a Konte and ducks instead of headering. :boo hoo:

The Voice Of Reason
26-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I think that Murray is having to take inhections before he plays.

Basiclly, he is "Friar Tucked" and it is evident for all to see.

blackpoolhibs
26-01-2011, 11:50 PM
I think that Murray is having to take inhections before he plays.

Basiclly, he is "Friar Tucked" and it is evident for all to see.

If thats true, he's doing himself and the team no favours. :boo hoo:

The Voice Of Reason
26-01-2011, 11:53 PM
If thats true, he's doing himself and the team no favours. :boo hoo:

That was what I was told tonight at the game (by someone who is well connected) :agree:

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2011, 12:01 AM
That was what I was told tonight at the game (by someone who is well connected) :agree:

While it is an excuse for his poor form, i don't really care about him. Its Hibs i care about, and he should be nowhere near a shirt for that team. He's a liability, although to be fair he's not alone. :boo hoo:

Albion Hibs
27-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Cant believe a lot of the comments above, albeit it is the same old drivel as usual, started by Mr Paul Hartley. Murray was one of our better players tonight, I will assume the usual basis of he is finished as the fact he was subbed and it makes those who use the phrase think they know something about football.

Just out of interest where any of the above haters at the game tonight? He covered more ground than any other midfielder, that added to the fact he showed he has more pace over a decent distance than younger players like Booth etc in recent weeks - I will give you the fact he will not be the quickest over 10-15m but I think he has shown over half a pitch or more he has more in his tank than the majority of those around him.

I would finish by saying it is quite entertaining that so many on here think he is finished yet our current manager and previous two rate him as starting 11 every week, they clearly dont think "he is past it" / "his legs have gone" - classic. Why do you think that is? Do you think it is because they dont have as much knowledge of the sport as the average Hibs.Netter? Or maybe they dont have the benefit of watching on the TV / highlights?

LaMotta
27-01-2011, 12:05 AM
While it is an excuse for his poor form, i don't really care about him. Its Hibs i care about, and he should be nowhere near a shirt for that team. He's a liability, although to be fair he's not alone. :boo hoo:

But who should play instead of him? As poor as he may be he offers more than anyone else in the midfield right now.

The Harp Awakes
27-01-2011, 12:09 AM
I think there are a good few other players to worry about in the Hibs squad than Ian Murray. He may be struggling just now but the desire and commitment are still there which is more than can be said about quite a few others.

David@EasterRoad
27-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Think Murray is still fit enough to do a job for us but he needs some help in the midfield. Not technically brilliant but if he had a couple of decent midfielders beside him he could just keep it simple in possession instead of trying to play.

Wotherspiniesta
27-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Cant believe a lot of the comments above, albeit it is the same old drivel as usual, started by Mr Paul Hartley. Murray was one of our better players tonight, I will assume the usual basis of he is finished as the fact he was subbed and it makes those who use the phrase think they know something about football.

Just out of interest where any of the above haters at the game tonight? He covered more ground than any other midfielder, that added to the fact he showed he has more pace over a decent distance than younger players like Booth etc in recent weeks - I will give you the fact he will not be the quickest over 10-15m but I think he has shown over half a pitch or more he has more in his tank than the majority of those around him.

I would finish by saying it is quite entertaining that so many on here think he is finished yet our current manager and previous two rate him as starting 11 every week, they clearly dont think "he is past it" / "his legs have gone" - classic. Why do you think that is? Do you think it is because they dont have as much knowledge of the sport as the average Hibs.Netter? Or maybe they dont have the benefit of watching on the TV / highlights?

^^^^^

Ian Murray's mum.

The Voice Of Reason
27-01-2011, 12:27 AM
^^^^^

Ian Murray's mum.

:tee hee:

Hibby Gav
27-01-2011, 12:54 AM
He..unlike most others, cares...gives a and yes is a bit 'enthusiastic sometimes...but he lives and loves the shirt...if we had 10 more like him we wouldn't be where we are..just my opinion......
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

billbee
27-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Think hes taking pain killers, legs slowin down a bit, wish we had more like him,
O1 IM

Mikey
27-01-2011, 08:45 AM
He's still playing because he's one of the few options we have. With Scott, Thornhill and possibly Polssen likely to go straight into the first team it could be that we'll see a lot less of him.

But at the moment there's no-one else!

GreenPJ
27-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Its funny that because Murray is a good hibbee when he cares then that is good enough to suggest that he is in the team and deserves his place despite his shortfalls but when someone like Rankin gives 110% its not good enough because he is just crap and trying isn't enough.

I think it is a shame for Murray just now as everyone can see that he is struggling with injury and whilst he gives his all it does effect his performance (first touch is more of a pass).

I would keep him in the squad and use him every second game or so to give his body the chance to recover as much as it can. He has to be the sitting midfielder or sweeper role (which of course we don't play) for me.

RIP
27-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Ian's playing days are all but over but should he be considered a possibility as Assistant to Calderwood once that donkey adams gets his 5 year ban?

Beefster
27-01-2011, 08:51 AM
In a decent team, Murray would no longer be any more than a squad player. In that team though, in the absence of any real talent or skill from any of them, Murray's effort and determination are of more value than the contributions of most of the players.

Taz_hibee
27-01-2011, 09:22 AM
In a decent team, Murray would no longer be any more than a squad player. In that team though, in the absence of any real talent or skill from any of them, Murray's effort and determination are of more value than the contributions of most of the players.

In a decent team he would not have to cover for the useless players around him and run himself into the ground, IMO he is subbed because he is ****ed covering their *****
He is one of the only players along with the younger guys who gets pass marks most weeks & IMO will contribute much more with the new midfielders along side him.

machibby
27-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Sorry but have to disagree, to say he was one of our better players last night is far from the truth. He looked well of the pace of the game and was as has been said chasing shadows. As for being picked every week, then yep I agree he does show commitment to the cause that few others match and still has a part to play.
Idea position on the bench, as what we need right now are players a similar desire matched with a greater pace and energy.

Judas Iscariot
27-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Wow..

I actually agree with one of your posts :thumbsup:

joe breezy
27-01-2011, 09:51 AM
In the games I've seen him play he's one of the only players who looks like he cares and has real talent.

If we are to ask why he's still playing the same question must be raised of all the others I suppose.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Murray is well past it.

Yes he goes flying into tackles, snaps at people and looks like he cares. But how many of these tackles is he forced to make because he was caught in posession or because he misplaced a pass? A fair percentage from what i see on a weekly basis.

He offers little in the way of creativity, i don't care what Albion Hibs says he is slow, especially over 10-15 yards(the most important distance on a football field) and he isn't shoring up the midfield to any great extent were we are looking unlikely to concede goals.

I've no doubt we will get those who claim he has added 'bite' or 'fight' to our mifield. Have resuslts improved sine he was put into his 'best position' of centre midfield. Do we look any more solid and/or creative? Hard work is all very well in a midfielder but there still has to be a certain level of footballing ability and i am seeing very little of that from Ian Murray.

(i'd add he is far from the only one any of this could be levelled at)

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Murray is well past it.

Yes he goes flying into tackles, snaps at people and looks like he cares. But how many of these tackles is he forced to make because he was caught in posession or because he misplaced a pass? A fair percentage from what i see on a weekly basis.

He offers little in the way of creativity, i don't care what Albion Hibs says he is slow, especially over 10-15 yards(the most important distance on a football field) and he isn't shoring up the midfield to any great extent were we are looking unlikely to concede goals.

I've no doubt we will get those who claim he has added 'bite' or 'fight' to our mifield. Have resuslts improved sine he was put into his 'best position' of centre midfield. Do we look any more solid and/or creative? Hard work is all very well in a midfielder but there still has to be a certain level of footballing ability and i am seeing very little of that from Ian Murray.

(i'd add he is far from the only one any of this could be levelled at)

Nail hit firmly on head. :top marks And will he improve, not a chance? He's been shuffled around trying to find him a position he can play in, but has been a huge liability wherever he's played.

He may be injured, and thats unlucky, but Hibs don't need injured unfit players who cant run, not now not ever.

Paul.

J-C
27-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Murray is suffering from arthritis in his hips and unfortunately it looks like it's deteriorating, you can see by the way he runs his hips are not as flexible as they should be. He gets by with anti inflamatory and pain killing injections, I'd give him till the end of the season and he may actually retire, right now though he seems to be a hinderance at times and his pace is begining to show all too often.

truehibernian
27-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Don't know if anyone else has noticed though, the chronic lack of pace that McBride has. And I mean chronic !

When he loses the ball, he turns and runs like a toddler chasing after a ball on a beach into a headwind.......I burst out laughing at his attempt to chase back a ball he had lost. Reminded me of my son as a 4 year old, head up, arms working faster than the legs.......priceless :rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
27-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Why does Murray still a jersey? Well, sentiment is a powerful force. After all, that fat Hun bird was meant to be going out with me but she was still sleeping with you behind my back.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Why does Murray still a jersey? Well, sentiment is a powerful force. After all, that fat Hun bird was meant to be going out with me but she was still sleeping with you behind my back.

:tee hee: