PDA

View Full Version : Memories of the 98/99 season

zlatan
26-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Saying as we're going back down let's reminisce about that spiffing season.

The 2-1 win at Brockville with Derek Collins swerving wondergoal was a highlight for me but my favourite day out was a trip to sunny Stranraer where we recorded a 4-0 win towards the end of the season. It was a glorious day, the league was won and it's the only game I've thrown the ball back to a player :cool2:

Also some top bants on show when some pished guy grabbed the linesman shoulder and said that he was within touching distance if he got anything wrong.

What are your favourite memories of the great adventure so the young cubs on here can know what to look forward to?

woodyloon
26-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Greenock Morton, Midweek game right at the start of the season and waiting for the turnstiles to open, time to kick off is getting close, then a bloke associated to Morton opens a door (think he had a chippy in his hand), and craps himself when he see how many Hibs supporters are waiitng to get in.

Same game, big stretch limo turns up and the bloke who is manning the road up to the players entrance obviously thinks it's someone famous so lets the driver continue up the road. When the doors open a crowd of Hibs supporters pile out of the limo.

LaMotta
26-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Greenock Morton, Midweek game right at the start of the season and waiting for the turnstiles to open, time to kick off is getting close, then a bloke associated to Morton opens a door (think he had a chippy in his hand), and craps himself when he see how many Hibs supporters are waiitng to get in.

Same game, big stretch limo turns up and the bloke who is manning the road up to the players entrance obviously thinks it's someone famous so lets the driver continue up the road. When the doors open a crowd of Hibs supporters pile out of the limo.

Barry Lavety's injury time winner at Cappielow was a highlight that night!

Two late goals from Yogi to salvage a 3-3 draw at Ayr....

H!BEE
26-01-2011, 10:17 PM
morton first game of the season was it no, that was a dire game......stood behind the goals, cold dark rainy night.....lavety magic.......sure they hated him from his st mirren days........

latapy and sauzee just made it look easy! Anyone remember that peter gugi(or something like that) played a few games then dissappeared..........

the day we won the league sure it was at partick or hamilton.....players came oot with the we are back t-shirts, the pitch invasion, all the hibees bouncing! pure relief we was going back up!!!

Come on hibs i canny take another season doon there!!!!!!!

GET IT SORTED CC!!!!!!!!!

Mixu62
26-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Away to Clydebank at Dumbarton's old groud, the appropriately named Boghead. Think it was Kevin Harpers last goal for us. 2-2 draw, with an impressive travelling support, especially as it was the same day as a Scotland game.

LaMotta
26-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Beating "Premier League" Aberdeen 1-0 in the League Cup with a late Stevie Crawford Penalty.

Thumping Airdrie every time we played them.

AgentDaleCooper
26-01-2011, 10:24 PM
cappielow, first game of the season - my vegetarian grandad had to make do with a cheeseburger without the burger. poor chap.

Bishop Hibee
26-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Watched Hibs losing 1-2 at home to Stranraer before going to Oz for a year. Mates asked me if there was room to be smuggled out in my luggage so they wouldn't have to suffer. Turned out OK in the end!

Patchy internet access in those days and I relied mainly on the tiny results column for Scottish Div 1 in the Aussie papers.

TamHibs
26-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Easter Road v Falkirk last day of the season when we lifted the trophy! Really dont want to experience it again though!

NadeAteMyLunch!
26-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Defo 3-3 away to Ayr with the two late goals :agree: Magic atmosphere. Our home New Yr 'derby' against Raith, think we won 5-1, was a stroll in the park, we were 1 up after about 15 seconds. Worst moment by a country mile was going thru to Perth for the Saints cup game confident of a win after stickin Aberdeen out in the previous round. Was locked out the stadium due to a big travelling support and eventually got thru the turnstyle jst as Saints made it 4-0 :boo hoo: So So bad.

James.
26-01-2011, 10:41 PM

I remember that Ayr game well. Pretty sure wee Russ made his debut for us that day.

LaMotta
26-01-2011, 11:02 PM
I remember that Ayr game well. Pretty sure wee Russ made his debut for us that day.

Aye - think he did.

I remember coming away thinking he looked like he might be a bit useful...

Sauzee had only played a couple of games for us at that point too.

SteveHFC
26-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Hibs 5-1 Raith Rovers. :not worth

KWJ
26-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Aye - think he did.

I remember coming away thinking he looked like he might be a bit useful...

Sauzee had only played a couple of games for us at that point too.

Sauzee's debut was far later when we won away to Falkirk. Hartley and I think an Ivo Den Bieman OG.

The Ayr match had wee Russ wear number 4 and give Big Tony a hug before the match, looked like his 5 year old son such was the height difference!

The limo was class, well done to those guys.

Harper's last goal was indeed the Clydebank 2-2 draw where he jumped the tiny sponsor board. That was also the game where they listed their season ticket holders in the programme, sold £2 cups of juice straight from a 2Ltr Irn Bru bottle and had "special pies".

Guggi was great. Archie Lovell was a striker who banged home 2 sizzlers against Airdrie away. Justin Skinner would score the odd cracker. Our young up and comings were Kenny Miller, Scott Bannerman, Mark Dempsie, & Eric Paton with Tam McManus & Emilio Bottligieri getting their debut in the last game against Stranny.

Paul Lovering, Paul Holsgrove, Barry Prenderville, Ollie the goalie getting beaten by Paisley Panda, Mixu signing for us.

It was good times, but I don't want them back!

Munson7
27-01-2011, 02:50 AM
The Ayr game for me too, the atmosphere was amazing and I'm sure had they won that night they would have went quite a few points clear of us, it really was a big point that night. They had a cracking young forward that year, sure he scored that night too, cannae mind his name though...

Sauzee's free kick against Falkirk I think it was, last game of the season possibly.

As everyone has said it was a good year but don't want to do it again!!

Steve-O
27-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Winning the title at Firhill was pretty good too :agree:

PA: Can all fans please stay off the pitch at the end of the game.

Final whistle goes...about 3000 run straight on the pitch :greengrin

I recall that 3-3 Ayr game as well, was right down the front for the equaliser...think I was on my out when we were 3-1 down with about 1 minute to go!

Home games to Raith (5-1) and Ayr (3-0? / 4-1?) were pretty good too.

Loads of other good games too...almost all of them finishing 4-0 Hibs :cool2:

supershotmo
27-01-2011, 08:14 AM
The Ayr game for me too, the atmosphere was amazing and I'm sure had they won that night they would have went quite a few points clear of us, it really was a big point that night. They had a cracking young forward that year, sure he scored that night too, cannae mind his name though...

Sauzee's free kick against Falkirk I think it was, last game of the season possibly.

As everyone has said it was a good year but don't want to do it again!!

Was it not Luke Rodgers.

iainm
27-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I remember a game at Starks park not long afer Russel had joined us. You could tell he was class and one supporter shouted out

"Has that wee guy no' got ten brothers"

Made me laugh!!

And before that game we were in the club just down from the ground. It was full of Hibbies giving it the old 'cheer up Jimmy Jeffries' I think Hertz were going through a dodgy patch at the time having cashed in on their cup win and spent their SMG windfall on class players like Gordan Petric

Looking back I enjoyed it, but I don't think we would find it quite as easy next time if the worst came to the worst

heretoday
27-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Watched Hibs losing 1-2 at home to Stranraer before going to Oz for a year. Mates asked me if there was room to be smuggled out in my luggage so they wouldn't have to suffer. Turned out OK in the end!

Patchy internet access in those days and I relied mainly on the tiny results column for Scottish Div 1 in the Aussie papers.

That Stranraer game was the low point. It was a lovely, sunny day I seem to recall.:rolleyes:

Munson7
27-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Was it not Luke Rodgers.

Just took me ages to find out lol, it was Glynn Hurst I was thinking of.

Craig_in_Prague
27-01-2011, 11:44 AM

was my 18th birthday! so was delighted we won.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Remember a game away at Airdrie were some guy behind me shouted at Stuart Lovell to '**** off back to Bondi beach you useless Aussie barsteward'. Lovell went on to score 2 goals and came right over to where the guy was sitting and gave him a big GIRFUY. To be fair to the guy he quickly changed his tune and told Lovell that his football skills were 'almost as good as thon Shane Warne boy at the cricket'.

There was some quality banter that season in the stands. I think a lot of it was gallows humour to start with but as we got better and started to walk away with the league it became a pretty enjoyable season. Still don't want to go through it again.

Ritchie
27-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Have to admit, the great 1st division adventure was one of my favourite seasons.

Running on the pitch at firhill after betting Hamilton to secure promotion was brilliant.

Had it's lows to though.... Can still remember Jason youngs screamer at ER when stranrar beat us 2-1.

I saw Jason young the same night in Penicuik buying the pink in our local newsagents in penicuik.

Told him he spoile my weekend :greengrin

The Falcon
27-01-2011, 01:15 PM
cappielow, first game of the season - my vegetarian grandad had to make do with a cheeseburger without the burger. poor chap.

Known elsewhere as a "Cheese Roll" :greengrin

H!BEE
27-01-2011, 01:16 PM
lol stranraer, "A TRAILIST" never forget that announcement. took one hell of a slagging from the morons after that game.

do we still hold the record points and goals scored for that season?

sixtwo
27-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Probably attended more games that season than any other. I liked the feeling of watching a winning team but there was always that feeling that we shouldn't be there.
I remember when shell olafsson scored for dundee utd to send us down. It was a horrible, gut wrenching moment.
I never, ever want to experience that again!

Craig_in_Prague
27-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Probably attended more games that season than any other. I liked the feeling of watching a winning team but there was always that feeling that we shouldn't be there.
I remember when shell olafsson scored for dundee utd to send us down. It was a horrible, gut wrenching moment.
I never, ever want to experience that again!

Got any money to travel to Australia then or something from say start of April to end of May?

aberhibsfc
27-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Fond memories, except the day we went down. I fell out with my family, we were having a day out and a meal and I was in such a cernaptious mood.

I'd like them to remain memories, I don't want to go back down there. It's not as easy to get back up.

Hibs were not afraid to snap up a lower league player here and there. We were accused of behaving like the OF in Div 1, snapping up the oppositions best players. I remember us playing Clyde, I think it was, and they had a stand out player Tom Smith whom we snapped up a few weeks later. I think he could have went onto be a great player for us, unfortunately injury cut his career short. What a good wee player though. Some I guess were not as effective.

stoneyburn hibs
27-01-2011, 02:09 PM
It was a lifetime memory for me : First game back in the premier league after winning the 1st division, my laddie who was 6 at the time was randomly picked out of the crowd in the FF stand by an official , to help raise the championship flag !

Very proud moment , and i was sitting bubbling in my seat.:flag:

LaMotta
27-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Sauzee's debut was far later when we won away to Falkirk. Hartley and I think an Ivo Den Bieman OG.

Aye think I was getting the timing of the 3-3 Ayr Game in October mixed up with our 3-1 win there in February, which was Sauzee's second game for us:greengrin

MCC Hibs
27-01-2011, 06:19 PM
After vowing not to go to any games that season i ended up missing 3.Anybody else remember the yellow footprints everywhere coz the steps at Broadwood had just been painted?

Broken Gnome
27-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Hibs v Morton. Latapy corner, Sauzee volley. Brilliant.

The Stirling cup game was a sore one too.

Mikey
27-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Saying as we're going back down let's reminisce about that spiffing season..............

What are your favourite memories of the great adventure so the young cubs on here can know what to look forward to?

Dearie me.

zlatan
27-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Dearie me.

Come Michael, join the circle and share with us.

Irish_Steve
27-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I remember wee Russ`s home debut with awe. Usual punt from someone like Hughes upfield and as the ball comes down from about 50,000 million feet, Russ traps it stone dead on the end of his boot - I think me and my bro just spontaneously applauded after picking our chins up from the floor - had been a while since we havd seen skill like that

Hiber-nation
27-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Some of Justin Skinner's play that season reminded me of Pat Stanton, strolling through every game against these *****y wee teams and chipping in with the odd screamer. He got found out big time in the SPL mind you!

Must admit it was brilliant waking up on a Saturday morning knowing you were going to win and be entertained into the bargain. But it can't be allowed to happen again.

tamig
28-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Just took me ages to find out lol, it was Glynn Hurst I was thinking of.

Aye, him and Gary Teale used to give us big problems. I wished at the time we'd gone for Hurst. He was a cracking player and he was part of that FC United squad who did all right in the FA Cup this season.