PDA

View Full Version : Attendance

hibsbollah
26-01-2011, 09:57 PM
First week of this season vs Rangers: 17,145.
Tonight: 11,696.

Thats 5,500 down. I know a)its on TV midweek and b)not all of them will be walkups, but even assuming half of the no-shows would have paid the £27 walk up if we were playing acceptable football, thats not far off £100,000 in lost revenue for just one match:rolleyes: Theres SIXTEEN games to go before the end of the season.

Even if we don't get relegated, the financial implications of less cash through the turnstiles will be worrying Petrie. Forget sponsorship, forget TV revenue, we still get most of our revenue through the turnstiles. He can't fail to notice, the place is half empty tonight for a class A fixture:rolleyes:

Davy Mac
26-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Thats 5,500 down. I know a)its on TV midweek and b)not all of them will be walkups, but even assuming half of the no-shows would have paid the £27 walk up if we were playing acceptable football, thats not far off £100,000 in lost revenue for just one match:rolleyes: Theres SIXTEEN games to go before the end of the season.

Even if we don't get relegated, the financial implications of less cash through the turnstiles will be worrying Petrie. Forget sponsorship, forget TV revenue, we still get most of our revenue through the turnstiles. He can't fail to notice, the place is half empty tonight for a class A fixture:rolleyes:

I've lost any desire to watch at the moment and keeping the laddies from long term loss of interest is tough.

I can honestly say there is no way I would pay £60+ for the kids and I to watch Hibs even if they were worth watching.

Let the laddies in for free for the rest of the season and I'll probably come back even though watching Hibs just now is scheite.

Value for money it aint, in fact the games up the pole, schotty here comes the janny and the baw is well and truly burst for Scottish Fitba.

Slow lingering death.

BT58
26-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Am I right in thinking that was the last
Class a game this season ???

One Day Soon
26-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Yep, in many respects this is a more critical issue than relegation. If ever there was a case for a marquee signing we are living it right now.

hibsbollah
26-01-2011, 10:07 PM

Unless we end up top 6 at the split:greengrin
But we still have Hertz at home as well.

H!BEE
26-01-2011, 10:09 PM
can you blame the fans for not going.............we have been dire for over a year!

nortonhibby
26-01-2011, 10:09 PM

yes spot on:confused:

gazza88
26-01-2011, 10:13 PM
I had been a season ticket holder for 10 years. I'm 22. I used to love the games, the buzz the atmosphere. It's disappearing. Games are televised, midday, at night. and very expensive. Mr Petrie has to cut prices now. We need the stadiums buzz back and we need the fans to help the team. I thought I would never stay away until now. very sad.

Godsahibby
26-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Ive got a season ticket and I had no interest in going along tonight, couldnt even blame my decision on the game being on TV, I listened to it on the Radio!

madabouthibs
26-01-2011, 10:39 PM
The good thing about a relegation battle is increased crowds...... :duck:

Top Pans Hibby
26-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Yep, in many respects this is a more critical issue than relegation. If ever there was a case for a marquee signing we are living it right now.

Craig Paterson said as much on Radio Scotland after the game. Basically stated Board really need to invest big money on "leaders" on the park.

Never a truer word spoken........

big-mo
26-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Rangers also returned 800 tickets for tonight's game, so their percentage was also down.

LancashireHibby
26-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Noticed on telly that was an entire block in the Rangers end that was empty and wouldn't whether we'd deliberately reduced their allocation or if they just hadn't shifted them all.

greenlex
26-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Rangers also returned 800 tickets for tonight's game, so their percentage was also down.
I thought we sold tickets to Rangers fans direct or was that just last season?

Removed
26-01-2011, 11:55 PM
I never took my two boys who both have STs - are they now counted or not?

If that had been at the weekend they would have been there. Must be a few others in the same situation or adults working late, away etc. Low crowd can't be all related to our pish run but accept majority is. Biggest blame is tv imo. To easy to stay at home or go to the boozer.

turn and burn
27-01-2011, 12:10 AM
I had been a season ticket holder for 10 years. I'm 22. I used to love the games, the buzz the atmosphere. It's disappearing. Games are televised, midday, at night. and very expensive. Mr Petrie has to cut prices now. We need the stadiums buzz back and we need the fans to help the team. I thought I would never stay away until now. very sad.

theres no chance of petrie cutting prices; im sure the summer clubstore sale sticks in his throat FFS

iwasthere1972
27-01-2011, 12:12 AM

Find that hard to believe. There was a section empty (lower nearest east stand) which I would guess would hold approx 250. A few other empty seats but not that many. Reckon it was about 300 below capacity in the huns end.

hibbysam
27-01-2011, 12:37 AM

No we have hearts at home sometime in March IIRC:agree:

Steve-O
27-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Who in their right mind would pay 27 quid to watch Hibs right now?

I'd maybe be tempted if 27 quid got me into 3 games, but one? Nah.

sahib
27-01-2011, 08:12 AM
I never took my two boys who both have STs - are they now counted or not?

If that had been at the weekend they would have been there. Must be a few others in the same situation or adults working late, away etc. Low crowd can't be all related to our pish run but accept majority is. Biggest blame is tv imo. To easy to stay at home or go to the boozer.

I had been planning to go all week. I got home quick as I could, the wife got the tea ready early. Looked out at the cold and damp and thought sod it , I'm knackered and not paid till Friday and I have ESPN and that was that. However, I blame my mate who has stopped going to matches because if two or more decide to go it commits you.

The Harp
27-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Must admit I was tempted to stay at home tonight. Didn't feel up to it and the prospect of hearing the usual bile spewing from that Buckfast fuelled bunch of bigots wi' their 'No Surrender' and The Sash' almost convinced me to stay away.
However, I'm glad I went. It certainly wasn't a great game but there was effort shown by the team tonight and young Booth looks a star of the not-too-distant future.
Apart from the effect the poor recent performances had on the low turn out, the fact that most folk on a monthly salary won't have been paid since before Christmas could be another factor.

hibsbollah
27-01-2011, 08:33 AM
can you blame the fans for not going.............we have been dire for over a year!

I think you've missed the point of my post...I don't blame people for not going (I didnt for a start:greengrin) but if it continues like this then the drain to the club's bank balance could be too much for Petrie and Lindsay to ignore. Its often underestimated how much financial power us fans hold just by voting with our feet.

I'd like to think the board would respond with some urgent splashing of cash to recruit some real quality into the side (David Healy is still available!) rather than just sacking the manager and hoping that does the trick, but i'm not holding my breath.

billbee
27-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Dont think Ive seen a worse attendance v Huns

jonny
27-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Find that hard to believe. There was a section empty (lower nearest east stand) which I would guess would hold approx 250. A few other empty seats but not that many. Reckon it was about 300 below capacity in the huns end.

Rangers returned 800 unsold tickets.

Haggis Hibby
27-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Great to hear we all support thru thick and thin :rolleyes:

and before any one asks no i wasnt there,,, i have a broken ankle so cant get to games....

But i have a season ticket and would have neem if not for ankle...

surley this is the time to rally round the yeam and show our support... lets play our part in gettin out this mess we are in...

lets keep the faith :aok:

Beefster
27-01-2011, 08:55 AM
To be honest, if I didn't have the ST, I'm not sure I could be arsed going out on a cold and wet night so I wouldn't criticise anyone for not going. Whereas before I used to count the days to games against Hearts and the OF, now each game just merges into one long, relentless slog.

Baldy Foghorn
27-01-2011, 09:06 AM

April 2nd as it stands, unless it gets changed for the TV

Andy74
27-01-2011, 09:16 AM
We accuse the players of having no desire or no passion and we have Hobs fans, with tickets choosing to stay at home instead of helping out. I find that a bit sad.

Sean1875
27-01-2011, 11:27 AM
scheduled for the 2nd of april but assuming it will be moved as its down for a 3 o'clock k.o just now :agree:

GloryGlory
27-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Ive got a season ticket and I had no interest in going along tonight, couldnt even blame my decision on the game being on TV, I listened to it on the Radio!

I've got a season ticket, too, and TBH I cannot be bothered going along to ER anymore. Don't know when our next home game is, don't even care!

MB62
27-01-2011, 11:42 AM
We accuse the players of having no desire or no passion and we have Hobs fans, with tickets choosing to stay at home instead of helping out. I find that a bit sad.

What's more sad Andy is the reason people are not going back, the state our club is in.

Every time we are on the look out for a new manager (and please God, or Rod, let that be soon again) we go for the cheap, unproven option, HOPING that we can unearth a new beaut.
I'll speak for myself and my family when I say we believe Calderwood is absolutely clueless when it comes to team selections and TACTICS, and we feel Hibs are by far worse off now than we were when Yogi was in charge. Yogi had to go, but we have replaced him with somebody worse rather better so ultimately the state of the club can be blamed entirely on Petrie and the board.

There is no way in the world I will be forking out good hard earned cash to watch Hibs under Calderwood. Playing one up front and hoofing high balls to a man who can't jump, is hopeless. Right footed players on the left and vice versa, i'm baffled. A goalie who was MoTM IMO against Celtic gets dropped and a numpty replaces him.
A guy who has been to told to find another club suddenly becomes flavour of the month! what message does that send out to the like of Wotherspoon and others.
Every game there is about six changes in the side. Whatever happened to consistancy and continuity, allowing players to form partnerships?

I'm afraid I have had more than enough of this lot, starting at the very top, and I don't just mean Rod but higher. Until they starting acting like we should be the third FORCE and Farce, in Scotland, then they can get on with it without me. We suffered years of putting up with the penny pinching because we understood the situation off the park.
Now though, it's time we started concentrating on what attracts the fans along to the game, the TEAM ON THE PARK. Give us something to shout about, to get excited about, to entice me to open my wallet and donate most of its content to Hibernian Football Club, I can assure you, it wouldn't take a great deal to get me back, I WANT to go and support my team, to watch them playing football and at least TRYING to score goals.

Plenty in there for you to get stuck in to Andy :wink:

Joe Baker II
27-01-2011, 12:18 PM

There have been plenty:

7,000 for end of season games in 1979/1985
11,000 Saturday before Christmas 1985/86
A couple at least in the Williamson era (where Rangers end was full and we struggled to muster 4,000)
Others during various stages of ground development

Have heard rumours Hibs inflated the attendance last night though and that 9,500 was more realistic figure.

This is not meant to dispute the fact that SPL has serious problems, combination of prices, lack of standing areas, lack of alcohol at games, lack of atmosphere, stewarding of football, and attitudes of club officials toward supporters and reluctance to do anything meaningful about it, are affecting all SPL clubs not just Hibs. And add at ER performances plus the loss of the East Stand have put people off tihs season and last nights crowd was not a surprise.

Note I stress SPL, outwith SPL I think you will find attendances in Scotland are reasonably stable. We may not be far from time when aggregate Scottish non-SPL football attendances some weekends regularly, rather than occasionally, exceed those in the SPL (a lot of people watch junior football).

And summed up by me personally I think in fact I took 7 hours travelling through to and back from Ayr last week just because it was a non-SPL game but did not bother last night, and I in the past was usually well up for it when Rangers came to Easter Road so long as not an early kick off.

Joe Baker II
27-01-2011, 12:23 PM

I entirely agree, but mindset of some fans is that they do not care what the attendance is as long as their club wins, until SPL clubs change mindset to realise attracting supporters more important than winning, attendances in SPL will continue to fall.

Phil MaGlass
27-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Great to hear we all support thru thick and thin :rolleyes:

and before any one asks no i wasnt there,,, i have a broken ankle so cant get to games....

But i have a season ticket and would have neem if not for ankle...

surley this is the time to rally round the yeam and show our support... lets play our part in gettin out this mess we are in...

lets keep the faith :aok:

whats yir excuse for the spelling, broken hands and using yir nose:greengrin

Joe Baker II
27-01-2011, 12:26 PM

At least these guys have given club money which is more than many would do at moment, until Board's attitude towards supporters changes this will only increase.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm a season ticket holder but i wasn't there last night, neither were the 4 folk i usually go with.

I was working so had a 'legitimate' reason for not attending, the other 4 just chose not to go. Because of the season ticket i'll probably still make more games than i miss between now and seasons end BUT if a better offer comes along to do something on a Saturday/Sunday i'll no longer just dismiss it immediately because it clashes with the football.

People can brand those not going to games now bad supporters or fair weather fans all they like, it matters not a jot to me. I know how commited i've been to Hibs in the past, i went season upon season never missing a game home or away, even up until this season i never missed a home game and made at least 10 away games a season. The last couple of seasons have got too much for me, theres no fun in going to the football anymore. We are piss poor but more than that the league is shockingly poor. Scottish football in my lifetime has never been fantastic but there was always a fair few players worth watching and getting excited about accross the board, now i can barely name 5 players who i think are really good players throughout the whole league.

The decline in crowds at ER is chronic, we were getting fantastic crowds under Mowbray because we were playing decent football and trying to win games and win them well, crowds were decent under Collins until the decline started to set in, they were ok under Mixu, decent under Hughes to begin with but dropped off sharply and now they are just about as low as i can remember in a long time. There is no togtherness between fans and player, no link between the club and fans. People don't want to go and watch Hibs, it's not just a lack of walk ups, season ticket sales were down this year, it's obvious some people with season tickets aren't going every week.

I'm seriously considering not renewing next season and just picking and choosing my games (it shouldn't be too hard to get in with the number of empty seats). If that makes me a bad supporter then so be it, i frankly couldn't care less.

Zondervan
27-01-2011, 12:39 PM
According to the attendance figures handed out to the press after the game, there were 8404 fans in the home stands. Which leaves 3282 Huns.

Albion Hibs
27-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Totally agree with the exception that I find very sad, not just a bit. That is however a reflection of the mentality of a reasonably sized section of our support.

iwasthere1972
27-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Remember being at ER for a SC 3rd round match against the huns (January 2004) and there were 11,300 there. Think it was a Sunday and it was on telly.

The other 6,200 were at the cinema.

H!BEE
27-01-2011, 02:09 PM
if we only had one home game against the bigger clubs each season then the attendances would be much higher.

we need a bigger spl! last nights attendance proves it.

soupy
27-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Rangers returned 800 unsold tickets.

No they never!!!

Removed
27-01-2011, 02:26 PM
if we only had one home game against the bigger clubs each season then the attendances would be much higher

we need a bigger spl! last nights attendance proves it.

So I take it you agree with what the huns were singing then "Here to see the Rangers......." :rolleyes:

I agree we need a bigger SPL but you can't blame the crowd last night on the size of the league or how many times we play them. Piss poor run, folk skint, midweek ko, game on tv. Try all them first.

And anyway, percentage wise most Hibs fans only see the huns twice a season anyway. Haven't sold out there for yonks and we only get about 1500 tickets max. At the last game at Ibrox we were lucky if we had 400 through.

Joe Baker II
03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Remember being at ER for a SC 3rd round match against the huns (January 2004) and there were 11,300 there. Think it was a Sunday and it was on telly.

The other 6,200 were at the cinema.

11,000 was not too bad a turnout that day given Williamson factor, live on BBC I think, January, Sunday, cup so no season ticket holders entry, early kick off, minimal price reduction - it was as if club and authorities were trying to stop people going.

Attendance v Rangers last week (and probably no more Hibs fans last night at ER for St Mirren despite being a key game) was much worse.