PDA

View Full Version : Panic, Pressure or Whatever, Well done the board anyway

MB62
26-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Having been in a depressed state about Hibs for quite some time now, and basically having gave up on them recently, It is good to be able to post something positive for a wee change.
Three new signings and hopefully more to come in the next few days HAS to be treated as positive news, as regardless of the pedigree of these lads, the personnel of the Hibs team needed to be changed.
Whether the board have been panicked into making these signing due to our league position, or felt pressure from the furore of the fans or whatever the reason is, I think they need have to be given the credit for backing the manager at this time and giving him the resources to sign these lads.
I have never been a big fan of our board when it comes to the playing side, and even less of a fan of Petrie in particular, but credit where it is due, they have done what is required to be done. Without doubt, we could still be doing with a few more faces coming in before the end of the month, in particular at least one centre half, hopefully two though, and a striker, and if they were to grant me al my choices, another speedy right winger would be ideal.

So, well done the board in backing the manager, now let's see if the manager is up to the task ahead by moving us up the league.

greenlex
26-01-2011, 09:25 AM
They are only doing what they always do a d back the manager to improve the squad. The only thing they have been pressured into doing is announcing they are doing it.
I am sure the league position, form and frustration from fans focussed their efforts though.

MB62
26-01-2011, 10:43 AM
They are only doing what they always do a d back the manager to improve the squad. The only thing they have been pressured into doing is announcing they are doing it.
I am sure the league position, form and frustration from fans focussed their efforts though.

I would say three new signings in as many days, with possible/HOPEFULLY more to come, is unprecedented for our board.
I think if the ALWAYS backed the manager to improve the squad then John Collins might still be the manager today. Apparently they also informed Mixu that his player budget was non existent (although I don't know that officially) and they didn't exactly back up Williamson when Rod gave him a years notice.
They have done well the last couple days but I would like to see more come in before the 31st.

macca70
26-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Well done the Board; we were beaten/played off the park in a derby, still to score a goal in 2011, dropped to 2nd bottom in the league, knocked out the cup by a 2nd division team. Our season is basically over other than a relegation battle we could well find ourselves in.

Every memeber of the Board give yourselves a massive pat on the back :aok:

Then have a wee think how different things could have been had we been a bit mor Pro-Active rather than Re-Active and brought these new players in on the 1st day of the transfer window rather than 3 weeks into the window.

We were quick enough to do business sending Bamba out the door, why were we not so quick to bring players in:confused:

Sorry but my cup is definately half empty rather than half full at the moment.

Bad Martini
26-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Well done the Board; we were beaten/played off the park in a derby, still to score a goal in 2011, dropped to 2nd bottom in the league, knocked out the cup by a 2nd division team. Our season is basically over other than a relegation battle we could well find ourselves in.

Then have a wee think how different things could have been had we been a bit mor Pro-Active rather than Re-Active and brought these new players in on the 1st day of the transfer window rather than 3 weeks into the window.

We were quick enough to do business sending Bamba out the door, why were we not so quick to bring players in:confused:

:agree: :agree:

GreenCastle
26-01-2011, 12:23 PM
They had no real choice but to bring players in...

If nothing had happened there would have been more outrage.

Judas Iscariot
26-01-2011, 12:41 PM

:agree:

So, we've signed a injured Notts Forrest reserve, a player from a club a league below u and at the bottom of their league who's suspended and a 19 year old reserve from Celtic..

YASSSSSSSSSS

:hmmm:

Gatecrasher
26-01-2011, 12:47 PM
:agree:

So, we've signed a injured Notts Forrest reserve, a player from a club a league below u and at the bottom of their league who's suspended and a 19 year old reserve from Celtic..

YASSSSSSSSSS

:hmmm:

OR

a Good Prospect from Forest whom the fans were unhappy to leave the club

a short term solution to a problem position for us, will leave us more time to fix in the summer.

and a player who was good enough to help a 1st division team to the SC final (and a key person at that) somewhere we havent been for 10 years.

Andy74
26-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I would say three new signings in as many days, with possible/HOPEFULLY more to come, is unprecedented for our board.
I think if the ALWAYS backed the manager to improve the squad then John Collins might still be the manager today. Apparently they also informed Mixu that his player budget was non existent (although I don't know that officially) and they didn't exactly back up Williamson when Rod gave him a years notice.
They have done well the last couple days but I would like to see more come in before the 31st.

No it's not and I just don't get this impression that the last few days has been some sort of delivery from the Board that hasn't been there before.

In relation to recent windows we've done virtually nothing.

JC walked without talking to the Board about budget and within a few weeks we'd paid compo for Mixu, and I forget exactly who we brought in that same window but think it was Murray, Nish and Rankin at least who were all established players. More, including Riordan and JJ followed later for him.

Last year, when we were third (note Hearts lack of investment to keep it going) we signed the two keepers and Gow, having already brought in the likes of Stokes, Miller, McBride, Cregg and Stack in the summer. We then signed another six last window who all on the face of it looked good.

Yep, we've lost players too, most clubs have, but we keep giving the manager new players. They might well be good or bad this time, who knows, but the board try and deliver all the same as that's the manager's call.

The Falcon
26-01-2011, 12:57 PM

There appears to be a revisionist movement and reinvention of the abilities of JC (John Collins not Jesus Christ although the two appear to be getting misxed up a bit)going on at the moment. He signed around nine players and they were, universally, of a poor overall standard despite telling us how good they were. I could sign say, Peter Guggi, and claim its the boards fault because my real target was Lionel Messi. Thats easy.
It is not unpecedented as it has been done before and it is also neccessary. But I suppose we've been being told for weeks that we wouldnt sign anybody at all this window.

Dinkydoo
26-01-2011, 12:58 PM
OR

a Good Prospect from Forest whom the fans were unhappy to leave the club

a short term solution to a problem position for us, will leave us more time to fix in the summer.

and a player who was good enough to help a 1st division team to the SC final (and a key person at that) somewhere we havent been for 10 years.

:agree::agree:
:top marks

BEEJ
26-01-2011, 07:11 PM
No it's not and I just don't get this impression that the last few days has been some sort of delivery from the Board that hasn't been there before.

In relation to recent windows we've done virtually nothing.
In fact, in relation to recent January transfer windows (a more appropriate benchmark) it's about average at the moment; but it will become above average if, as suspected, we see another new face in the squad before midnight on 31st January.

Figures:
January 2010 - 3 signings
January 2009 - 3 signings
January 2008 - 5 signings
January 2007 - 1 signing

bigstu
26-01-2011, 07:20 PM
We need a striker!!!!!