PDA

View Full Version : Chuffed with new signings (positive thread)

Hakim Sar
25-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Onwards and upwards hibs. The winds of change are upon us. next stop Rooney and steven thompson

Leithenhibby
25-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Onwards and upwards hibs. The winds of change are upon us. next stop Rooney and steven thompson

I'm with your thinking on this one :agree:

Don't expect this thread to run into pages & pages though :greengrin

AR & ST would do me nicely until the window (the real transfer window) opens again in the summer ... :cool2:

GGTTH

Purehibee_MYB
25-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm with you...enough of people moaning that these signings aren't good enough...looks like we no longer give anyone a chance...maybe some hibs fans just like to moan non-stop!!

Would love to see us get Rooney!!

Hope the new signings can help beat the huns!

Jonnyboy
25-01-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm happy to see these new guys coming in :agree:

Leithenhibby
25-01-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm happy to see these new guys coming in :agree:

:agree:

If nothing else it will rattle a few cages :cool2:

Very optimistic with the new guys :wink:

CmoantheHibs
25-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Got to agree.I think the new signings show that CC knows where the immediate problems are and what qualities are required.I think there will be a forward with physical presence and possibly that keeper thats on trial and that will be it for this window.4 or 5 is a lot for a January window but it will lessen the chaos of the close season transition.Looking forward to the summer and next season too as I think our management team have an astute eye for signings and realise what qualities are required to build a team. :flag:

BEEJ
25-01-2011, 09:44 PM
This is about adding steel and some confidence to a team that has a soft underbelly and is mentally fragile. It's also about shifting the team mindset by increasing the proportion of players in the starting 11 who see themselves with a future at the club. These signings will tick these boxes.

I expect we'll begin to see an improved attitude and team morale from here on in and that will soon translate into better performances and results.

I think we'll see more movement in this transfer window as well. My guess? Two more in and three or four leaving.

GGTTH

Toaods
25-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Calderwood has mixed up the settled easy pay packet at Hibs crew and as he said 'the squad needed freshened up'

World Beaters ? No... but they sound like honest competitors, something that has been lacking for too long in the playing squad at the club.

It won't take long to forget the vast majority of those that are about to be shown the door.

--------
25-01-2011, 09:47 PM
These are players CC and DA should know about - not the sort of blind signings I suspect we've been making towards the end of transfer windows in the past.

So yes, I'm pleased with these lads, but i hope to be a wee bit more pleased before midnight on the 31st...

:flag:

lucky
25-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I happy we have signed 3 players it shows commitment but its far to early to say they are not good enough.

Jonnyboy
25-01-2011, 09:51 PM
These are players CC and DA should know about - not the sort of blind signings I suspect we've been making towards the end of transfer windows in the past.

So yes, I'm pleased with these lads, but i hope to be a wee bit more pleased before midnight on the 31st...

De Graaf anyone? :wink:

Shrekko
25-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Worryingly De Graaf was signed in mid June 2010- nowhere near the end of a transfer window. We can't even call him a panic signing.

down-the-slope
25-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Got to agree.I think the new signings show that CC knows where the immediate problems are and what qualities are required.I think there will be a forward with physical presence and possibly that keeper thats on trial and that will be it for this window.4 or 5 is a lot for a January window but it will lessen the chaos of the close season transition.Looking forward to the summer and next season too as I think our management team have an astute eye for signings and realise what qualities are required to build a team. :flag:

:agree: and players on the way up

--------
25-01-2011, 10:00 PM

Aw jings, John! This was supposed to be a POSITIVE thread.... :brickwall

CallumLaidlaw
Can't say I know anything about any of the signings so certainly won't be knocking them just yet.
Thornhill in particular sounds promising and hopefully will be everything we hoped from De Graaf.
Towell is here to impress, either Celtic or potential buyers and can't be any worse than our current right back options.
And I have confidence that Adams is confident enough with his knowledge of Martin Scott that he will do a job for us.
We still definitely need a striker but whether it's Thompson, Rooney or another I have faith that CC and Adams will find a player to do a job

calumb
I'm excited about the new signings just because they seem to be the type of signing we should not be excited about. How many players have we signed recently that we all had high hopes for, hart and de graaf most recently, that have turned out to be muck. so i reckon these new guys are going to be brilliant.

Jonnyboy
25-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Worryingly De Graaf was signed in mid June 2010- nowhere near the end of a transfer window. We can't even call him a panic signing.

I was kinda leaning on the signed without being seen angle :greengrin

spike220
25-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Good thread, I cant wait to watch them develop into a cohesive unit and add some steel to the team.:flag:

Scooter
25-01-2011, 10:19 PM
im content. nothing to do with the players brought in but if we are told thats it. ill be fuming. need a striker and a centre half at the very minimum a striker

CRAZYHIBBY
25-01-2011, 10:26 PM
would take rooney but thompsons a poor mans garry o'connor

al bundy
25-01-2011, 10:46 PM
at last something to get excited about, who knows but this could be the start of happier times down leith

lets hope so

snooky
25-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Doddie

Nobody told me he was blind, FFS.

sahib
25-01-2011, 10:50 PM

That is a good point and quite encouraging. It doesn't mean they were the first choices. Still, they have not been bought on word of mouth or on the basis of Youtube clips etc.

snooky
25-01-2011, 10:53 PM
at last something to get excited about, who knows but this could be the start of happier times down leith

lets hope so

How our expectations have changed in the past year.
A win or even a goal would get me excited these days. :agree:

Franck Stanton
25-01-2011, 11:03 PM
would take rooney but thompsons a poor mans garry o'connor

Good enough for me then, we cant afford Gary O - so Thomson, if memory serves , would be a very good signing. In an ideal world would like a C/H as well and if we can off-load some of the wage-thieves we currently have masquarading as footballers including Smith and Stack and sign the keeper we have on trial to compete for the keepers position , I dont think anyone could realistically argue with this transfer window activity. Take a moment to reflect here, compere the squad at start of season and now, we would have 5 new players, [ a keeper, a C/H, 2 M/F and a C/F] allied with the return of Zoomer and Duffy and thats a BIG turnover in personnell, certainly give us agood enough first 11 to avoid relegation and give us time to re-build at end of season.
Oh and just as a wee footnote, having read a few of the previous posts by fellow Hibbies I detect a general uplifting of spirits, cant be a bad thing eh.

Jack
26-01-2011, 07:22 AM
For seasons and seasons we been the mouses in the SPL, manager after manager has said they’ll toughen us up and nothing has happened – we’re still just wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beasties.

They're not quite Roy Barry, but a couple of these guys could be today's equivalent. :aok:

Speedway
26-01-2011, 08:12 AM
On the upside, we appear to have signed 3 players that have been actively scouted. They're young combative and should have at least 6 months immunitiy against the inside ER apathy disease and fan attacks.

On the downside, none of them are seasoned campaigners and I still feel we could do with one or two older heads who've played at a higher level.

Hakim Sar
26-01-2011, 08:28 AM
2 young athletic midfielders with their careers infront of them - one of them scouted as a box to box sleeves rolled up kinda player and the other a physical goalscorer according to CC. Liam miller be warned IMO

We may see riordan move on and have miller up on left beside/behind Rooney????

It appears the key quote from calderwood is he is signing 'uncomplicated' players - perhaps less fragile than our current ego-dented career down the pan deadbeats we currently have.