PDA

View Full Version : Steven Thompson (Merged)

HH81
24-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Just spoke to my Burnley mate in the office and there is rumours floating around that Thompson could be signing for Hibs.

He said he expects Thompson to leave this window, anyone else heard this?

Prawn Sandwich
24-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Just spoke to my Burnley mate in the office and there is rumours floating around that Thompson could be signing for Hibs.

That would make sense because he is injured
http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~2273949,00.html

jonny
24-01-2011, 08:16 AM
That would make sense because he is injured
http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~2273949,00.html

If it's not serious then I reckon he'd be a decent addition. Most of these rumours are nonsense though so I wont be expecting anything to happen on this one.

LancsHibs
24-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Hope there is some truth in this, would be a good addition:agree:

Coco Bryce
24-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Deek going the other way :confused:

Spike Mandela
24-01-2011, 08:45 AM
His goal ratio in the SPL is worse than Nish even though he played for Rangers. Just a thought:greengrin

Steve20
24-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Hope not.

Judas Iscariot
24-01-2011, 08:59 AM
If he's injured he'd fit in with CC's signing policy :cool2:

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-01-2011, 09:03 AM
My Dundee united chums used to tell me that he was almost the complete striker, and only had one thing missing from his game. Unfortunately, that was goals.
Seemed to follow the same path as a lot of players, Webster, McLaren, David Robertson etc, in that he seemed a decent sort that turned into a bampot as soon as the royal blue went over his head.:rolleyes:

J-C
24-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Deek going the other way :confused:

This would be a good bit of business, Deek doesn't look interested and has yet to put pen to paper on a new contract, lets be honest here, Deek doesn't deserve to get a starting place right now.

Judas Iscariot
24-01-2011, 09:07 AM
This would be a good bit of business, Deek doesn't look interested and has yet to put pen to paper on a new contract, lets be honest here, Deek doesn't deserve to get a starting place right now.

And who does like?

J-C
24-01-2011, 09:07 AM
His goal ratio in the SPL is worse than Nish even though he played for Rangers. Just a thought:greengrin

I'd take anyone who could set up goals for us just now, Duffy was a proven scorer, needs support though.

J-C
24-01-2011, 09:09 AM
And who does like?

Well not many but he's one of our senior players, I think he should be giving more than just waving his arms in the air moaning all the time, he should take a look at Murray, not the most gifted player but gives 100% all the time.

bingo70
24-01-2011, 09:13 AM

imagine your mate possibly heard the rumour from here :dunno:.....

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2118674649

I think he'd be a good signing, i'm not actually bothered about his scoring record, what he would give us is the ability to hald the ball up and bring other forwards and midfielders into play so we could start to see the goals spread throughout the team, we'd start to see the best of deeks again if he had someone like thomson up top with him so i'd be pretty disappointed if deeks was to go the other way.

IMO the lack of a striker like this has been the reason for our midfield looking so poor for so long, they do there best to get up to support the strikers but when the ball doesn't stick they're never going to be able to provide effective support to the forwards/

Hibernia Na Eir
24-01-2011, 09:15 AM
BBC reported last week that he was on CC's radar.

Beefster
24-01-2011, 09:18 AM
A battering ram of a striker so may be worthwhile.

I do hope at least one of the players signed has a wee bit of pace though.

cockneymike
24-01-2011, 09:42 AM
IMO the lack of a striker like this has been the reason for our midfield looking so poor for so long, they do there best to get up to support the strikers but when the ball doesn't stick they're never going to be able to provide effective support to the forwards/

:top marks

Totally agree - Killen did this for us, and Fletcher was beginning to, I think someone (MP or Petrie?) signed Nish expecting him to be able to. I hoped Trackys would be the guy for this job, but it would appear not.

J-C
24-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Totally agree - Killen did this for us, and Fletcher was beginning to, I think someone (MP or Petrie?) signed Nish expecting him to be able to. I hoped Trackys would be the guy for this job, but it would appear not.

Trakys seems to injure himself whenever he gets out of bed in the morning.:confused:

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Garbage striker who couldn't finish a milkshake and was capped purely on the basis of playing for the Huns.

That said he'll probably score a barrel-load is this pathetic league.

cockneymike
24-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Trakys seems to injure himself whenever he gets out of bed in the morning.:confused:

I know, its frustrating. Because he looks like he might be useful. But if he can't go more than 2 weeks without getting injured for the next 10, he's no use at all.

We need quality, but we also need availability - he may the offer the first, but plainly not the 2nd!

He's obviously more like Killen than we thought! :grr:

Riordans Boots
24-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I'd take anyone who could set up goals for us just now, Duffy was a proven scorer, needs support though.

Derek is a proven goal scorer, needs support though - :dunno:

J-C
24-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Derek is a proven goal scorer, needs support though - :dunno:

Funny feeling Deek won't be here long.

eastmainsmsh
24-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Funny feeling Deek won't be here long.

have a feeling the huns will try n take him b4 end of transfer window

Hibs On Tour
24-01-2011, 09:59 AM

But you'd swap DR for Thompson?... :cool2:

DR is far more of a proven scorer than Duffy is/was and again tops our assist charts. As for Thompson...

J-C
24-01-2011, 10:05 AM
But you'd swap DR for Thompson?... :cool2:

DR is far more of a proven scorer than Duffy is/was and again tops our assist charts. As for Thompson...

Didn't say that..........the way things look at the moment, I would bet on Riordan leaving, maybe sooner rather than later, wouldn't surprise me if Deek going to Burnley may be part of any deal. What we need is a big decent striker who can hold the ball up and if Thompson becomes available then I'd take him.

Hibs On Tour
24-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Didn't say that..........the way things look at the moment, I would bet on Riordan leaving, maybe sooner rather than later, wouldn't surprise me if Deek going to Burnley may be part of any deal. What we need is a big decent striker who can hold the ball up and if Thompson becomes available then I'd take him.

"This would be a good bit of business"

Certainly sounds like it from where I'm sitting... :wink:

No point holding the ball up if we don't have someone who can stick the bloody thing away is it?

smurf
24-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Yeah a fantastic piece of business....

Out a living legend who with half decent supply scores goals for fun...

In a player with a poorer SPL goalscoring record than Colin Nish.

truehibernian
24-01-2011, 10:32 AM
"This would be a good bit of business"

Certainly sounds like it from where I'm sitting... :wink:

No point holding the ball up if we don't have someone who can stick the bloody thing away is it?

Who knows, we may even have Leigh Griffiths on loan to do that if the rumblings are true.

J-C
24-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah a fantastic piece of business....

Out a living legend who with half decent supply scores goals for fun...

In a player with a poorer SPL goalscoring record than Colin Nish.

If deek is going and it looks even more likely now that he is, surely it's time to take of the green specs and realise that we have to start building a team without him.

Thompson isn't a prlific scorer but he's just the type of CF we need right now, big, strong and can hold the ball up. Whether deek stays or goes, Hibs will always be there, so we have to get on with things, yes Riordan's goals have dried up nd that's due to the fact we haven't got a Thompson style player in the team.

Duffy is too similar again to Riordan and can only benefit with a player like Thompson coming in, also I was replying to a post which suggested Riordan was going in the other direction. Don't think anyone stated he was infact part of any deal, remember this is all speculation and we as fans are guessing as to what may happen in the forseeable future, the fun of the january transfer window.

Hibee Daz
24-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Thomson is not the answer especially since he's injured, we should be looking at improving on what we have and not signing some **** who couldn't set the heather on fire even if he had a bloody blow torch!

No no and thrice no.

HibbyAndy
24-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Thompson? I hope to god this is only a rumour.

Seriously NO!.

heretoday
24-01-2011, 10:58 AM
If he's got a groin injury he may be firing blanks.

So he should fit in just fine.

Winston Ingram
24-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Garbage striker who couldn't finish a milkshake and was capped purely on the basis of playing for the Huns.

That said he'll probably score a barrel-load is this pathetic league.

He got his first caps when playing for Dundee United in 2002:agree:

sesoim
24-01-2011, 08:54 PM

:bitchy: Why sell Riordan when Thompson would be the ideal signing to get the best out of him?

It amazes me that anyone can possibly think selling our best player would help things. Rioirdan needs better quality beside him, then he'll start knocking the goals in.

Sell Riordan, game over.

sesoim
24-01-2011, 09:00 PM
imagine your mate possibly heard the rumour from here :dunno:.....

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2118674649

I think he'd be a good signing, i'm not actually bothered about his scoring record, what he would give us is the ability to hald the ball up and bring other forwards and midfielders into play so we could start to see the goals spread throughout the team, we'd start to see the best of deeks again if he had someone like thomson up top with him so i'd be pretty disappointed if deeks was to go the other way.

:agree: Totally agree.

greenlex
24-01-2011, 09:37 PM

That someone that signed Nish was Mixu. Why do folk keep saying otherwise?

Winston Ingram
24-01-2011, 09:46 PM
:bitchy: Why sell Riordan when Thompson would be the ideal signing to get the best out of him?

It amazes me that anyone can possibly think selling our best player would help things. Rioirdan needs better quality beside him, then he'll start knocking the goals in.

Sell Riordan, game over.

Would he? I think Merlin the Magician would struggle to get the best out of that lazy bassa at the moment

Bad Martini
24-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I have this horrible feeling having heard this burnley/deek/swap/sale stuff more than once and from various quarters there could be something in it all.

Riordan leaves ; we're ****ed.

Would possibly explain why our manager decided to drop him when we need goals. Doesn't explain why he dropped Brown when we need to save goals though.

In fact, calderwoods team selection proves or confirms nothing either way but regardless, I do hae this horrible feeling.

Winston Ingram
24-01-2011, 09:48 PM
i have this horrible feeling having heard this burnley/deek/swap/sale stuff more than once and from various quarters there could be something in it all.

Riordan leaves ; we're ****ed.

Would possibly explain why our manager decided to drop him when we need goals. Doesn't explain why he dropped brown when we need to save goals though.

In fact, calderwoods team selection proves or confirms nothing either way but regardless, i do hae this horrible feeling.

removed

Bad Martini
24-01-2011, 10:11 PM
REMOVED

Really? As opposed to the other 9 wasters (with the exception of Brown who actually saved our ass in most games he's played in, including some top class saves against the yams to save our blushes)...Riordan has had how much service of late?

OK, put simply, here's the goals this season:

Riordan 8
Miller 3
De Graaf 2
Hanlon 2
Hogg 2
Dickoh 1
Nish 1
Rankin 1

Ahem...
Bamba 2
Grounds 1
Stokes 1

...even a poor playing Riordan is scoring almost 3 times as many as our next "best" player...

When he's gone, we'll see a flurry of goals from all over the pitch, as we did against Motherwell :rolleyes:

silverhibee
24-01-2011, 10:22 PM
REMOVED

The manager was quoted as saying after the Motherwell game that the reason Deek was on the bench was that Derek had been carrying a hip knock for the last few weeks and decided to leave him on the bench.

Toaods
24-01-2011, 10:39 PM
getting back on topic re: Steven Thomson, I think he'd be a great signing and he is exactly what we need, especially for the position we find ourselves in currently with games starting to run out fast.

Anyone watch Takeshi's Castle ...the task where the competitors have to smash through a door, well who would you have your last quid on ? Thomson or Nish?

Thomson is not the youngish player who was inexperienced with D.Utd and St Mirren or the guy who showed potential with Rangers. What we will be getting is a hardened forward who wil knock over most of his markers rather like Kyle does only Thomson can actually run.

This is precisely the type of player that I hoped CC would be looking at, if not for the very long term or short term, certainly one capable of doing a very good job for the next 2-3 years.

Barney McGrew
25-01-2011, 06:13 AM
The Sun reporting this morning that we're 'close to agreeing a deal' with Burnley for him.

He's exactly the type of player we need.

down the slope
25-01-2011, 06:41 AM
The Suns piece here http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3369093/Hibs-closing-in-on-the-double.html

if you can be bothered reading it it says further on that one or two of our players have been talking to other clubs , wonder who ?.

Barney McGrew
25-01-2011, 06:47 AM
if you can be bothered reading it it says further on that one or two of our players have been talking to other clubs , wonder who ?.

If any player's agent is worth their salt, then they'll be scoping out alternatives for their client now. How many of them will find any takers for their services is another question though :greengrin

Hiber-nation
25-01-2011, 06:56 AM
The Sun reporting this morning that we're 'close to agreeing a deal' with Burnley for him.

Hope so. If anyone thinks we can sign players of a higher standard than Burnley subs then they're a bit deluded I'm afraid. Still think we'll struggle unless we get a bit of skill and pace in...

Spike Mandela
25-01-2011, 07:09 AM

Yip just what Hibs need, another striker that hardly scores.:confused:

Have we not got quite a few of them already:rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
25-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Really? As opposed to the other 9 wasters (with the exception of Brown who actually saved our ass in most games he's played in, including some top class saves against the yams to save our blushes)...Riordan has had how much service of late?

OK, put simply, here's the goals this season:

Riordan 8
Miller 3
De Graaf 2
Hanlon 2
Hogg 2
Dickoh 1
Nish 1
Rankin 1

Ahem...
Bamba 2
Grounds 1
Stokes 1

...even a poor playing Riordan is scoring almost 3 times as many as our next "best" player...

When he's gone, we'll see a flurry of goals from all over the pitch, as we did against Motherwell :rolleyes:

I'm well aware how many goals he's scored. The problem is he has scored only 1 of those in the last 10 games and when he's not scoring he's as good as a man short. The bigger problem is he isn't trying a leg either and his form is getting worse as a result. We've got a out 15 league games left and if we carry on with him stealing a jersey we'll be down by March

Leith Green
25-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Reckon if we get Thomson, could signal Deek leaving. I got a text this morning saying Riordan is defo going away to huns, the boy who text me is usually spot on with his wee snippets of info..

I'd hate to lose Riordan & especially to that shower, however I quite like the prospect of Thomson ( strong target man) playing up top with duffy (pacey goalscorer), think that could be a great combination.

Calderwood I reckon will want to gut out the existing dressing room and pretty much start from scratch, think his talk of wanting to keep Deek will prove to be nothing more than talk..

bingo70
25-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Yip just what Hibs need, another striker that hardly scores.:confused:

Have we not got quite a few of them already:rolleyes:

Or a striker thats a team player, will help hold the ball up bring others into the game and add some much needed experience and a physical eliment to the side.

Just to point out that the comment about being a team player wasn't a dig at deeks, it's just there complete opposite strikers, one is all about scoring goals, the other is all about helping the team score goals and both could be a terrific asset to the side, i certainly don't see Thomson being a replacement for deeks.

greenlex
25-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Thomson to Hibs. Riordan as part of the deal.

bingo70
25-01-2011, 08:00 AM

Can't see it unless we've got another goalscoring striker coming in.

If we've got Rooney coming in or that young lad from Newcastle then maybe.

BT58
25-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Is it a straight swap,, or do we get cash
Hope were no breaking that record for an injured
Striker,,,,,,,,LOL

Aldo
25-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Deeks goalscoring and talent is and never will be questioned IMHO however his work rate and attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Deek is Hibs for me but in the last few months apart from the Well game at ER he has done nowt. I really want him to stay but with the right attitude and a work rate that leaves him totally knacked after every game...thus I feel we will never get from him.

Thompson would be a very good signing and would give the team something we have not had since Killen/Mixu...a guy that can put himself about and give us a bit of muscle up front. Yeah I agree that he would be an excellent foil for Deek but will deek stay and see his beloved club safe or move before the window closes.

Please stay Deek and work your socks off mate...show us you do care about the club.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Deeks goalscoring and talent is and never will be questioned IMHO however his work rate and attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Deek is Hibs for me but in the last few months apart from the Well game at ER he has done nowt. I really want him to stay but with the right attitude and a work rate that leaves him totally knacked after every game...thus I feel we will never get from him.

Thompson would be a very good signing and would give the team something we have not had since Killen/Mixu...a guy that can put himself about and give us a bit of muscle up front. Yeah I agree that he would be an excellent foil for Deek but will deek stay and see his beloved club safe or move before the window closes.

Please stay Deek and work your socks off mate...show us you do care about the club.

I never understand that argument, make Riordan work harder??? Listen Riordan is never ever going to be a grafter like Rankin. Its just not the type of player he is. We have different types in all teams, and its getting the right blend thats the hard part.

If we have good players in the team, Riordan will complement that with contributing goals and assists. If we have a poor side, like we do now, his contribution will be less, and getting him to run around all over the shop makes no difference whatsoever in my opinion, other than taking him out of the positions he's most dangerous in.

RickyS
25-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I never understand that argument, make Riordan work harder??? Listen Riordan is never ever going to be a grafter like Rankin. Its just not the type of player he is. We have different types in all teams, and its getting the right blend thats the hard part.

If we have good players in the team, Riordan will complement that with contributing goals and assists. If we have a poor side, like we do now, his contribution will be less, and getting him to run around all over the shop makes no difference whatsoever in my opinion, other than taking him out of the positions he's most dangerous in.

Aldo
25-01-2011, 09:10 AM

Yip agree BH however everyone that plays at the moment needs to dig deep and fight...that includes deek. I know exactly what you are saying and this guy can score out of nothing...the problem is we are creating very little and if this is the case then should he play if he is not going to fight for everything.

I would love him to score everyweek but TBH in this team its higly unlikely that deek will flourish let alone score...isolated no support. Deek in the right team with the right players allows him to express himself...this is clearly a very testing time for him (and us)

Y

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Yip agree BH however everyone that plays at the moment needs to dig deep and fight...that includes deek. I know exactly what you are saying and this guy can score out of nothing...the problem is we are creating very little and if this is the case then should he play if he is not going to fight for everything.

I would love him to score everyweek but TBH in this team its higly unlikely that deek will flourish let alone score...isolated no support. Deek in the right team with the right players allows him to express himself...this is clearly a very testing time for him (and us)

Y
Yes i agree all the players need to fight for the cause, what i don't want though, is to see the one piece of real quality sacrificed for another player who has a bit of dig. If we go down that road we just have a team full of John Rankins. We have to get the balance right, if we do i have no doubt Riordan would flourish again, hopefully we are on the way to doing that?

Aritch
25-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I've always liked Thompson since watching the video he made when cardiff were in the fa cup final.

He looks like he has a lot of presence in the dressing room, is a good character and plays the guitar to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMiswHbF2A

smurf
25-01-2011, 09:27 AM

You couldn't make this up.

In a relegation scrap you need goals.

Steven Thompson may well do a job for us but he's never been prolific. He could be a good foil for Derek Riordan.

But the rumours are that it's a swap....

Still a good deal? And why?

truehibernian
25-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Yes i agree all the players need to fight for the cause, what i don't want though, is to see the one piece of real quality sacrificed for another player who has a bit of dig. If we go down that road we just have a team full of John Rankins. We have to get the balance right, if we do i have no doubt Riordan would flourish again, hopefully we are on the way to doing that?

The thing is BH, you are looking to someone like Derek to be the experienced head in the side because let's face it he is. He has also been given the armband a few times. His body language though (and others it has to be said) is simply shocking when the chips are down.

The body language thing had me worried a few games ago, even when we won. Derek scored twice v Well, yet only a few players looked delighted and went to really congratulate. I thought that was quite strange when at the game and others I was with spotted it too.

The argument with Zemmama over a free kick at the end of the Utd game. Not the first time these two have had a wee spat on the pitch whilst the game is going on. Again, it signifies to me the chronic lack of team spirit and togetherness. They spent longer arguing than getting on with it, setting up and taking the damn thing. I also noted only a couple of players intervened. Everyone looked on wee eggshells letting them argue. Situations like that need a right good captain or team member to literally hand the ball to the player they think will do the job and usher the other away.

Take a look at wee Zem's penalty miss at the weekend. Look at two players throw their hands in the air in disgust, and more importantly look at John Rankin. Another occasion where you are looking for Ranks, an experienced team member, to go up and give the wee man some reassurance, a pat on the back and a "chin up, come on keep going" gesture.......yet nothing.....he looks on the pitch and runs back into position.

Take a look at when Obua missed an open goal v St Johnstone in their cup defeat :greengrin......first player though to go up to him and give him a wee gee up is the boy who set up the chance, Elliott.........that for me is what is missing at Hibs. No teamwork, spirit or togetherness........I said before, they play as individuals chucked together rather than a team. CC is addressing that it's clear.

smurf
25-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Says it all.

Speedway
25-01-2011, 09:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Thompson_(Scottish_footballer)

Hibby Bairn
25-01-2011, 09:31 AM

:agree:

To paraphrase Brian Clough..."Listen son (could be Rankin or a few others) dinnae start thinking you are some kind of footballer. Just you win the ball and give it quickly to Derek at his feet."

To Deek..."Listen Deek, I dinnae want you chasing all over the pitch for the ball...let those useless bassas in midfield do that. You just sit tight in the left flank and I'll get them to give you the ball...then you do your magic"

Turnbull said much the same thing recently.

truehibernian
25-01-2011, 09:37 AM

To paraphrase Brian Clough..."Listen son (could be Rankin or a few others) dinnae start thinking you are some kind of footballer. Just you win the ball and give it quickly to Derek at his feet."

To Deek..."Listen Deek, I dinnae want you chasing all over the pitch for the ball...let those useless bassas in midfield do that. You just sit tight in the left flank and I'll get them to give you the ball...then you do your magic"

I speak with Eddie a lot and it's certainly not what he says about Derek.

Eddie is a big fan of Derek, however even the great man himself doesn't know his best position. He leans towards making Derek a centre forward alongside someone. He most definitely doesn't see him as a midfielder, left midfielder or someone who can be allowed to float.

Eddie also questions his work rate and his desire in games.

Clough used to say that about John Robertson.......but even smoking John could get by his defenders.......Derek struggles to outpace anyone these days which for me is a worry.

jonny
25-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Reckon if we get Thomson, could signal Deek leaving. I got a text this morning saying Riordan is defo going away to huns, the boy who text me is usually spot on with his wee snippets of info..

I'd hate to lose Riordan & especially to that shower, however I quite like the prospect of Thomson ( strong target man) playing up top with duffy (pacey goalscorer), think that could be a great combination.

Calderwood I reckon will want to gut out the existing dressing room and pretty much start from scratch, think his talk of wanting to keep Deek will prove to be nothing more than talk..

Is he really? You must be talking about some other "Duffy" that we're about to sign and not the one called "Darryl" that we currently have.

I'll give it to the lad, he runs about a lot - although I wouldn't describe him as particularly "pacey" I'd actually fancy myself to beat him in a sprint. As for "goalscorer" I'm afraid I'm yet to see any evidence of that. He must've played in nearly half a dozen games by now and has thus far come up short.

smurf
25-01-2011, 09:43 AM

I think ET pretty much said Deeks should be a starter for Scotland.

However, many on here know better... Lazy so and so that he is who contributes zilch...:rolleyes:

Teams with goalscorers in their side do well. Hence last season where with Stokes and Riordan we did quite well over the piece despite not being a good side or playing well.

Some on here think that removing his goals and assists we'd somehow be better....

We could be.

But only if we replace him with better.

So who is he?

Hibby Bairn
25-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I speak with Eddie a lot and it's certainly not what he says about Derek.

Eddie is a big fan of Derek, however even the great man himself doesn't know his best position. He leans towards making Derek a centre forward alongside someone. He most definitely doesn't see him as a midfielder, left midfielder or someone who can be allowed to float.

Eddie also questions his work rate and his desire in games.

Clough used to say that about John Robertson.......but even smoking John could get by his defenders.......Derek struggles to outpace anyone these days which for me is a worry.

I was just mentioning what I had read previously. This is a quote from a Scotsman article from March 2009....

"Despite being frustrated by today's coaching and by the resultant way in which football is played, Turnbull maintains a keen eye for talent, and is particularly impressed by one current Hibs player. "I'm a great Derek Riordan fan.

"I would get the best out of Riordan. He can score goals, and he can make goals.

"He's got to get the ball to his feet. I said to myself last week, watching young Lewis Stevenson: 'Lewis, just get the ball down, son, and give it to Riordan, and that's your job done. Don't give a nearly pass.'

"Never mind if there are two men round about him. Get the ball to Riordan at his feet and he'll do the rest."

Stevie Reid
25-01-2011, 10:40 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Thompson_(Scottish_footballer)

I remember being hugely surprised when Rangers signed him from Dundee Utd years ago, but he's played a lot of football since then and I would be happy with this signing. Experienced and has played at a good level, and a physical presence up front.

Trakys was a revelation against Motherwell, but sadly doesn't look like it's gonna work out for him now.

GreenCastle
25-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Looking at his record he's not got to score loads.

But if he can use his experience and link up with others - our new midfield or Riordan if still here he could be useful.

Still think Rooney is the guy we need to take us forward though but it's not going to happen :rolleyes:

Leith Green
25-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Is he really? You must be talking about some other "Duffy" that we're about to sign and not the one called "Darryl" that we currently have.

I'll give it to the lad, he runs about a lot - although I wouldn't describe him as particularly "pacey" I'd actually fancy myself to beat him in a sprint. As for "goalscorer" I'm afraid I'm yet to see any evidence of that. He must've played in nearly half a dozen games by now and has thus far come up short.

Yeah that one, the guy who has just come back from being out injured for 4 months, the one who was banging goals in Scotland whilst at Falkirk ..

You also seem to be missing the point, I reckon Duffy would relish playing alongside a big physical target man(Thomson), this would allow Duffy to play on the shoulder of the defender (where he played with falkirk) rather than chasing lost causes all day because his partner wether it be Nish who cant hold up the ball or Riordan who will never chase them himself..

happiehibbie
25-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I get Stunned by some of the comments on here Duffy for me had done nothing since coming in and I am sure he is on loan!!!
Derek Riorden is getting pelters at the moment I agree its not happening for him but

he has scored over 100 goals in the spl he had 2.5 years at celtic and did not play he has a chance of beating Boyds record for goals scord in ther SPL

Me i would dump the duff and plead with DEEK to stay

Thomson for me not a bad striker he will do a KYLE job for us the only thing i have noticed is that all the players we are linked with seem to be limping just like us at the moment

PETRIE SPLASH THE CASH NOW

3pm
25-01-2011, 11:42 AM
If he can hold the ball up it's a start...

jonny
25-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah that one, the guy who has just come back from being out injured for 4 months, the one who was banging goals in Scotland whilst at Falkirk ..

You also seem to be missing the point, I reckon Duffy would relish playing alongside a big physical target man(Thomson), this would allow Duffy to play on the shoulder of the defender (where he played with falkirk) rather than chasing lost causes all day because his partner wether it be Nish who cant hold up the ball or Riordan who will never chase them himself..

No doubt he had a good scoring record at Falkirk (27 goals in 57 games according to wiki) - just short of 1 in 2 but that was 5 years ago and also the majority of them were whilst he was playing in the 1st division (17 in 1st division). He's done very little since.
I'm not quite writing him off yet but for me he still has a lot to prove.

Kaiser1962
25-01-2011, 12:17 PM
If he can hold the ball up it's a start...

bit of a nutter to boot, which we need.

aberhibsfc
25-01-2011, 01:49 PM
More physical than we have been experiencing recently and more mobile but, and I'm just going on memory here, his goal scoring from my memory was in the region of Nade. He just doesn't score goals.

I can handle a player that puts themselves about up front but I'd expect more of a goal threat than he has demonstrated in the past, including the SPL.

aberhibsfc
25-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I get Stunned by some of the comments on here Duffy for me had done nothing since coming in and I am sure he is on loan!!!
Derek Riorden is getting pelters at the moment I agree its not happening for him but

he has scored over 100 goals in the spl he had 2.5 years at celtic and did not play he has a chance of beating Boyds record for goals scord in ther SPL

Thomson for me not a bad striker he will do a KYLE job for us the only thing i have noticed is that all the players we are linked with seem to be limping just like us at the moment

Absolutely 100%

Instead of letting him go with the masses, we should use some of this saved kitty to retain his services and get someone in such as Rooney to do the battling.

FromTheCapital
25-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Heard that he's intrested in a move to ER..... Anyone know what he's like ?

Diclonius
25-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Is it just me that can't see this guy signing at all?

Exiled Hibby
25-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Heard that he's intrested in a move to ER..... Anyone know what he's like ?
tall guy, dark hair:greengrin

easty
25-01-2011, 02:52 PM
tall guy, dark hair:greengrin

Handsome?

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Its amazing, all year we say Riordans not doing it, he's not trying, he cant score enough goals, he's up front on his own and a waste of time. Now we are linked with a centre forward who can actually stand up for longer than 2 minutes, can hold the ball up, and should help him score. What do we want, we want rid, so we can play him with someone who scored a few goals 5 years ago in the 1st division?:rolleyes:

magnificent_seven
25-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but looks like he is seeing a specialist this week:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/8808369.Double_injury_fears_for_Burnley/

JimBHibees
25-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but looks like he is seeing a specialist this week:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/8808369.Double_injury_fears_for_Burnley/

Well that will be that then.

offshorehibby
25-01-2011, 04:50 PM
He doesn't exactly set the heather alight with his goal scoring dose he.

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10413~6910,00.html

Winston Ingram
25-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I accept that Riordan will never be a Rankin for effort which is fine and I accept that.

The fact is that he is putting in next to no effort whatsoever. I'd love to see his Opta stats.

Barney McGrew
25-01-2011, 04:58 PM
You couldn't make this up.

In a relegation scrap you need goals.

Steven Thompson may well do a job for us but he's never been prolific. He could be a good foil for Derek Riordan.

But the rumours are that it's a swap....

Still a good deal? And why?

You've pretty much answered it yourself. We need a physical presence up front who can hold the ball up for the likes of Deek. If Riordan is going to get goals he needs service and at the moment he's not getting it. An experienced physical strike partner is what's needed.

ionahibby
25-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Sport bulletin on stv news saying hibs set to announce signing of thompson as well so must be some truth in the rumours

--------
25-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Sport bulletin on stv news saying hibs set to announce signing of thompson as well so must be some truth in the rumours

They probably saw it on here.

:rolleyes:

aberhibsfc
25-01-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm sorry, just can't get excited by this.

HibeeMcGinn1
25-01-2011, 06:16 PM

no they didnt, said there is interest.

Reaper
25-01-2011, 06:18 PM
If deek is going and it looks even more likely now that he is, surely it's time to take of the green specs and realise that we have to start building a team without him.

Thompson isn't a prlific scorer but he's just the type of CF we need right now, big, strong and can hold the ball up. Whether deek stays or goes, Hibs will always be there, so we have to get on with things, yes Riordan's goals have dried up nd that's due to the fact we haven't got a Thompson style player in the team.

Duffy is too similar again to Riordan and can only benefit with a player like Thompson coming in, also I was replying to a post which suggested Riordan was going in the other direction. Don't think anyone stated he was infact part of any deal, remember this is all speculation and we as fans are guessing as to what may happen in the forseeable future, the fun of the january transfer window.
:thumbsup:

--------
25-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Knew it - they read it on here and decided to give the RUMOUR legs by mentioning it on their poxy news bulletin. :greengrin

scoopyboy
25-01-2011, 06:40 PM

u sure he was at Parkhead for 2.5 years?

BT58
25-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm surprised no ones mentioned wages
even if he's only a sub, he must be on say
7-10k per week, there's no way we will pay him £5k
per week,,,,
Would rather we splashed the cash on Rooney
£300k might just do the trick

jonny
25-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm surprised no ones mentioned wages
even if he's only a sub, he must be on say
7-10k per week, there's no way we will pay him £5k
per week,,,,
Would rather we splashed the cash on Rooney
£300k might just do the trick

:agree::agree:

I'd be delighted if we got them both though

bathhibby
25-01-2011, 07:09 PM
At Fratton Park and he has started for Burnley

Hardly a sign we are going to sign him

EasterRoad4Ever
25-01-2011, 07:12 PM

:agree: Riordan is one of the few players at ER actually worth paying money to watch - and has been year after year. Yes, he's not perfect, he has problems off the field and at time on the field too, but his skill, goals and all round ability has been worth every penny. IMHO Deek is a VICTIM of the current circumstance at ER. He has literally NO ONE on his footballing wavelength. NO ONE he can look up to or on a par with him, and we as fans expect far too much from the lad. He is not a leader or captain and - in fairness - has never appeared to positioned himself as captain. He's a guy who, with some decent players around him, could be exceptional again. I'd hope that might be at Hibs, but might more likely be at another club.

Baldy Foghorn
25-01-2011, 07:27 PM
At Fratton Park and he has started for Burnley

Hardly a sign we are going to sign him

Big wages I suspect he is on as well.......

If DR is to go we should sell in this window, and do our utmost to bring Rooney in IMO......

ionahibby
25-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Must have misheard then sport in one ear missus in the other is quite difficult to do both at the same time i will have you know :greengrin

Gala Foxes
25-01-2011, 07:46 PM
As has already been posted can't see a guy on post Premiership / Championship wages at Burnley, who is playing tonight at Pompey tonight coming to Hibs

Andy74
25-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Hibs net thought Kyle was a useless huddy as well. He'd be just the type of thing we need up front. The only recent performances we've had have been when Trakys has been fit and playing well.

Shrekko
25-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Hibs net thought Kyle was a useless buddy as well. He'd be just the type of thing we need up front. The only recent performances we've had have been when Trakys has been fit and playing well.

The difference between having a guy who can win headers and also hold long balls up until support arrives and what we have most weeks i.e. long balls just coming straight back, is massive. All of a sudden midfielders will take risks and commit to pushing forward and you're winning fouls in dangerous positions etc.

fife hfc
25-01-2011, 08:58 PM

The difference between having a guy who can win headers and also hold long balls up until support arrives and what we have most weeks i.e. long balls just coming straight back, is massive. All of a sudden midfielders will take risks and commit to pushing forward and you're winning fouls in dangerous positions etc.

:top marks That is the problem we have. Nobody is willing to take a risk and make a forward run as they know we are unable to keep the ball and they will be caught out of position. This means we are under more pressure and mistakes are made. If only Mixu was still around to play.

RickyS
25-01-2011, 09:04 PM

I was talking about this tonight:top marks

CmoantheHibs
25-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Must have misheard then sport in one ear missus in the other is quite difficult to do both at the same time i will have you know :greengrin

Dont worry once youve been with the missus a while longer youll be able to block her out completely.:greengrin

HNA7
25-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Hibs net thought Kyle was a useless huddy as well.

I don't recall hibs.net taking an official stance on Kevin Kyle.

Kaiser1962
25-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Hibs net thought Kyle was a useless huddy as well. He'd be just the type of thing we need up front. The only recent performances we've had have been when Trakys has been fit and playing well.

So did the Yams when they thought he was coming here!

--------
25-01-2011, 09:23 PM

You're now an official spokesman for Hibs.net?

Andy74
25-01-2011, 10:32 PM
You're now an official spokesman for Hibs.net?

No just relaying what the general consensus was on him.