PDA

View Full Version : Question Knee ligament damage - advice

Jack
25-01-2011, 11:18 AM
My wee felly is 14. Upto about a year ago his ‘puppy fat’ was, well you know – quite fat!

He took up playing with odd shaped balls and turned into a wee powerhouse and was doing really well until …

Knee ligament damage is likely to have him out for the rest of the season, maybe / probably longer. He's devastated, per wee sole.

He’s really proud of his wee masculine body he managed to build for himself.

Canny believe there's not someone on here its not happened to before who really wanted to keep in shape.

What did you do?

Is this what happened to Zemmama?

Cheers.

Haymaker
25-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Take it slow and dont rush coming back - I did and I still suffer and mine was only small damage. Speak to a Doctor and see if you can get some free physio as well.

Twiglet
26-01-2011, 04:54 PM
The only thing I would say is go to your drs and get him a referral for physio.
I don't know if he's now considered an adult by nhs lothian, but if he is then you choose where you go if you're in Edinburgh.
When I went to get physio last October/November there was a 12 week waiting list, but at Gracemount if go in the morning there's a walk in clinic. It's only certain hours, it says on the referral form, and they only take the first 10 people as new patients that day so ge there about 30 minutes before the clinic opens. It might be a wee bit out your way, but it's worth the trip to get seen straight away, there's plenty of parking too.

Jack
26-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Cheers guys :aok:

Jay
26-01-2011, 05:22 PM
If its an option you can pay for a sports injury physio. Scott was lucky enough when he did his knee that the NHS physio who was standing in for our usual one while on maternity leave usually did just private sports injury work and had worked up at Riccarton. She had it strapped up in some wierd and wonderful ways but it did the trick.

Woody1985
26-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I've not done my knee but a mate did, he came back to fives too early after surgery andit snapped again.

He was out around two years and is fat now!

Healthy diet will probably play a big part.

EskbankHibby
27-01-2011, 01:38 PM
My wee felly is 14. Upto about a year ago his ‘puppy fat’ was, well you know – quite fat!

He took up playing with odd shaped balls and turned into a wee powerhouse and was doing really well until …

Knee ligament damage is likely to have him out for the rest of the season, maybe / probably longer. He's devastated, per wee sole.

He’s really proud of his wee masculine body he managed to build for himself.

Canny believe there's not someone on here its not happened to before who really wanted to keep in shape.

What did you do?

Is this what happened to Zemmama?

Cheers.

Depends on the specific ligament and the severity of the injury mate.

With most ligament injuries, even a complete rupture, you can still exercise but it has to be appropriate rehab at the appropriate time based on the above.

As your laddie is only 14 he will hopefully be seen quicker in Physio/Orthopaedics if your GP refers him asap.

Good luck.:aok:

EskbankHibby
27-01-2011, 01:44 PM
The only thing I would say is go to your drs and get him a referral for physio.
I don't know if he's now considered an adult by nhs lothian, but if he is then you choose where you go if you're in Edinburgh.
When I went to get physio last October/November there was a 12 week waiting list, but at Gracemount if go in the morning there's a walk in clinic. It's only certain hours, it says on the referral form, and they only take the first 10 people as new patients that day so ge there about 30 minutes before the clinic opens. It might be a wee bit out your way, but it's worth the trip to get seen straight away, there's plenty of parking too.

A great idea in principle but a truly horrific service in practice, hated by clinicians and patients alike.

The drop-in clinic is 8:30 to 9:30 Monday to Thursday i believe, very much a wait your turn service but they see around 4 patients each clinic and the rest are literally turned away.

There are minimal opportunities for the Physio's to review the patients they have initially assessed/advised in the drop-in clinic which is pretty frustrating clinically.

All the above true as of last week following discussions with patients and clinicians involved.

Jack
27-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated.

A wee update is that they still don’t know how bad / good it is as the swelling, or something (his mother is a nurse and understands this much better than I do), means they cant make a proper assessment, or whatever, and an operation is seemingly more ruled in than out.

He got physio at the Western Hospital on Tuesday and is to go back next Tuesday.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated.

A wee update is that they still don’t know how bad / good it is as the swelling, or something (his mother is a nurse and understands this much better than I do), means they cant make a proper assessment, or whatever, and an operation is seemingly more ruled in than out.

He got physio at the Western Hospital on Tuesday and is to go back next Tuesday.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

If its a cruciate injury, he will have to wait until the swelling goes down before they will be able to give a diagnosis. The physio after the operation is very hard, and its a long road, and you cant cut any corners. Good luck to the young lad, and if he's dedicated he will do it. :thumbsup: