PDA

View Full Version : Refugee etc

hibsbollah
25-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Hibs fans sing this song at Skacel for years and it never makes the news. Suddenly the Huns give it an airing and its all over the papers and the 'political correct thought police brigade gone mad' are all over it.
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Rangers-urged-to-carry-out.6700713.jp
Anti-Old Firm bias surely?:devil:

givescotlandfreedom
25-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Not a fan of this song at all (I think it's pretty tasteless) but not sure Skacel who likes to spit on fellow pros and caused a near riot at Easter Road last time can't really take the moral high ground on anything.

Jack
25-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Every time this comes up I’ll mention this – one day it will sink in. :rolleyes:

After they last won the Scottish Cup the team were on the bus coming back to Edinburgh. You'll never guess what they were singing? :agree:

Some will put it down to light hearted banter on the coach; some will excuse it as being light hearted banter from the fans. If its wrong its wrong, no matter who sings it. :dummytit:

But given all the folk who have been witnessed singing it, it seems no-one has the moral high ground with this one.

I don’t like the song, its not a pro-Hibs song.

smurf
25-01-2011, 09:45 AM
The player involved makes a fool of himself by reacting to it.

khib70
25-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Hibs fans sing this song at Skacel for years and it never makes the news. Suddenly the Huns give it an airing and its all over the papers and the 'political correct thought police brigade gone mad' are all over it.
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Rangers-urged-to-carry-out.6700713.jp
Hopefully:greengrin

The bottom line is that anyone who has ever sung this song is an erse, whoever they support.

And any spittle-flecked, vein-bulging bigot who hurls this sort of abuse for 90 minutes then runs for his maw or the polis when a player reacts to it is an even bigger erse.

Judas Iscariot
25-01-2011, 09:57 AM
The player involved makes a fool of himself by reacting to it.

:agree:

smurf
25-01-2011, 10:03 AM

I was out with some friends a few years back. One friend a Yam got talking to him... Then the friend tried to tease me with him by saying "He's a daft Hibby etc etc".

Out of the blue he bursts into "You lot call me F***** refugee!!!! why? I want to know!!!" etc etc. His body language became quite aggressive.

He's an idiot as his behaviour recently at ER demonstrated again.

And i wish looking back i had decked him.:greengrin

marinello59
25-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Either that or the song actually is racist. :dunno:

ScottB
25-01-2011, 10:09 AM

For the record I think its a pitiful song, made all the dafter by our own players not exactly all hailing from a spits distance of Easter Road...

Frazerbob
25-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Skacel must be laughing at us everytime he hears the song. He rips us (and Deek in particular) a new one every Derby. Deek getting sent off in the last few minutes of a game that is well and truely lost being a prime example.

It's not Skacel that's making a fool of himself I'm afraid!

khib70
25-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Either that or the song actually is racist. :dunno:

For the record I think its a pitiful song, made all the dafter by our own players not exactly all hailing from a spits distance of Easter Road...

:agree:Skacel is an EU citizen. He's no more a refugee than Steven Thicot, Francis Dickoh or Liam Miller

And, according to Smurf above, he actually objects to being the target of inaccurate, ignorant racist chants. Tsk tsk. eh:rolleyes:

nickwhibs
25-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Personally hate the song as it stinks of right wing-ness(?) But it's more sung in a tongue in cheek way than anything malicious. It's not like he's an actual refugee in earning 10 grand a week or whatever it is.

Keith_M
25-01-2011, 10:36 AM
:agree:Skacel is an EU citizen. He's no more a refugee than Steven Thicot, Francis Dickoh or Liam Miller

Or me, actually. FWIW, my current situation is exactly the same as Skacel's. I'm working in another part of the EU under the rules on the right to work in any country. It's nice to see some of my fellow fans have such a high opinion of me.

I think the main point about the 'song' is that it uses the term refugee in a derogatory sense. It does indeed sound very right wing.

One last point, the founders of the club we support were refugees. As they say, ENDOF.

Chaotic Hibs
25-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Its a blatantly racist song and I'm pretty disgusted that fellow hibs fans are defending it. Didn't want my first post to be so negative but there are some things you shouldn't turn away from.

scott7_0(Prague)
25-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Skacel must be laughing at us everytime he hears the song. He rips us (and Deek in particular) a new one every Derby. Deek getting sent off in the last few minutes of a game that is well and truely lost being a prime example.

It's not Skacel that's making a fool of himself I'm afraid!

:agree: Just like the old Dave McPherson song.

I was out with some friends a few years back. One friend a Yam got talking to him... Then the friend tried to tease me with him by saying "He's a daft Hibby etc etc".

Out of the blue he bursts into "You lot call me F***** refugee!!!! why? I want to know!!!" etc etc. His body language became quite aggressive.

And I wish looking back i had decked him.:greengrin

I was speaking to him in a club the last time i was back in Edinburgh, he was introduced to me, in conversation I told him I was a Hibs fan and a Sparta Fan he was polite, friendly and actually a decent guy, he talked openly about the issues past and present at Hearts and about Scottish football in general.

the song is cringe worthy more than anything else.

Keith_M
25-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Its a blatantly racist song and I'm pretty disgusted that fellow hibs fans are defending it. Didn't want my first post to be so negative but there are some things you shouldn't turn away from.

:not worth

Well done on your first post and welcome.

lapsedhibee
25-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Skacel is an EU citizen. He's no more a refugee than Steven Thicot, Francis Dickoh or Liam Miller

And in the same spirit I'd like to point out that Stevie Fulton did not, in fact, get booked for being ugly. Hibs fans must be fick to think that he did.

scott7_0(Prague)
25-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Didn't want my first post to be so negative but there are some things you shouldn't turn away from.

So why choose to make it negative.

:jamboclow:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
25-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Well said, and welcome to the board.

Admins., is there any way we can just reinstate the 18 page thread from 2005 about the song rather than have the same debate again. I just can't handle having to read someone comparing weedgies, ginger people and fatsos to refugees.

Hainan Hibs
25-01-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't think Hibs fans would sing it if he didn't show how much it annoyed him. Similiar to the "Hartley is gay" song, the majority of singers will sing it solely because it winds him up.

If anyone does sing it because he is from Eastern Europe, then they should probably fire up a Delorean and head back in time.

scott7_0(Prague)
25-01-2011, 10:46 AM
If anyone does sing it because he is from Eastern Europe, then they should probably fire up a Delorean and head back in time.

When did CZ move??

CENTRAL Europe please.:agree:

Pretty Boy
25-01-2011, 10:49 AM
The Skacel song is cringeworthy.

If it's something Rangers fans find 'funny' then that about sums up the level of it for me.

It's not big, it's not clever and it's certainly not funny.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I personally don't sing the song because it's factually incorrect and is therefore quite silly.

But racist? Do me a favour!

It's actually a lot less offensive than the song the Hearts fans sing about Merouane Zemmama being a paedophile, despite the fact that he married, and had sex with, a legally consenting adult.

If calling a player a refugee is all we have to worry about then I think we're doing pretty well.

I wasn't aware that refugees were a race anyway. :confused:

As for Skacel getting this 'abuse' because he's an Eastern European, if that's the case then why don't;

Sasa Papac
Nikica Jelavic
Tomas Cerny
Milan Misun
Marius Zaliukas
Nikola Vujadinovic
Lukasz Zaluska
Dawid Kucharski
Marian Kello
Filip Mentel
Dusan Pernis
Vladimir Weiss
Jure Travner

Who are all current SPL players from Eastern Europe, just like Skacel, get even a hint of bother from opposition fans?

I can't speak for the Rangers fans but the Hibs fans sing that song towards Rudi Skacel because, in derby matches, he is generally a fud.

Like I say, if that's all these groups have to get upset about then I think we're making great progress.

If we start going back to the days where black players are greeted on the pitch with a banana being thrown in their direction, that's when I think Scottish football needs to stop and take a breath and ask itself where it's going wrong.

lord bunberry
25-01-2011, 11:11 AM
You lot need to put the prawn sandwiches away the song is sung to to wind up the jambos the same as the mercer song its not racist and its not intended to be either the fact that he is an eu citizen means he isn't a refugee the same way as paul hartely probably isn't gay lighten up no one is being hurt or offended

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Storm in a tea-cup. There will be moral indignation for a while and then, as with what has happened with what they sing about Irish "refugees" it will be tolerated.:rolleyes:

easty
25-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I've fashioned myself a little credit card sized Singing At The Footie card and laminated it, I keep it in my wallet. On it I've got a few questions that I have to look over before singing at the footie..

Is the sing ageist?

Is the song sexist?

Is the song referring to someone as a refugee?

Is the some homophobic?

Would the song maybe upset someone that hears it?

Would the truly decent folk on Hibs.net give the song thier approval?

By the time I get through all the questions in my head and put the card back in my wallet the singing has stopped....

hibsbollah
25-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I've fashioned myself a little credit card sized Singing At The Footie card and laminated it, I keep it in my wallet. On it I've got a few questions that I have to look over before singing at the footie..

Is the sing ageist?

Is the song sexist?

Is the some homophobic?

By the time I get through all the questions in my head and put the card back in my wallet the singing has stopped....

The simple test is, Just think about if the song in question makes you look stupid, that should do it:thumbsup:

marinello59
25-01-2011, 11:44 AM
You lot need to put the prawn sandwiches away the song is sung to to wind up the jambos the same as the mercer song its not racist and its not intended to be either the fact that he is an eu citizen means he isn't a refugee the same way as paul hartely probably isn't gay lighten up no one is being hurt or offended

:faf:
I think you will find the Old Firm justify all their harmless songs using similar language as you do here. Apparently the famine song isn't racist or bigoted, it is only sung to wind the 'Tic fans up etc etc etc.

marinello59
25-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Is the sing ageist?

Is the song sexist?

Is the some homophobic?

Does anything go then or do you have boundaries. Serious question, we all have certain lines we won't cross don't we?

maturehibby
25-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Not a fan of this song at all (I think it's pretty tasteless) but not sure Skacel who likes to spit on fellow pros and caused a near riot at Easter Road last time can't really take the moral high ground on anything.

Could'nt have put it any better _ where did you get your brains from to write this ?

lEXO
25-01-2011, 12:11 PM

So anybody who doesn,t like this song is prawn sandwich eating prude.Well put your balti pie and bovril away and answer this.We play the Huns tomorrow and some Hibs fans start chanting "dirty orange b*****d" at Weiss, is that ok even though he isnt? The Stevie Fulton song was humorous, as have plenty of our songs down the years.The Mercer and Scatcel songs are like the Darren Jackson song, s**te.

Thecat23
25-01-2011, 12:24 PM
So anybody who doesn,t like this song is prawn sandwich eating prude.Well put your balti pie and bovril away and answer this.We play the Huns tomorrow and some Hibs fans start chanting "dirty orange b*****d" at Weiss, is that ok even though he isnt? The Stevie Fulton song was humorous, as have plenty of our songs down the years.The Mercer and Scatcel songs are like the Darren Jackson song, s**te.

:top marks

Not for me, and i'm not a prawn sandwich eating prude. The Fulton song is a beauty but the other songs really don't see the need if i'm honest. Just out of interest and not having a go here, is it more the young fans who sing this? 16-20's? Just when i read alot of posts the ones who like signing it there age is always about that. But like i say not having a go just be interesting to see what the young lads think is ok to sing?

soproni1
25-01-2011, 12:37 PM
It is right that the song be frowned upon, and i have found myself frowning upon it in situations. But being in the ground and seeing thousands of those t*ts and then that even bigger t*t on the pitch acting as some kind of cheerleader hits a nerve with me and i inevitably join in with the singing.

If there was another song about him which slagged him off in any way im pretty sure i would do the exact same.

Storar
25-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Does anything go then or do you have boundaries. Serious question, we all have certain lines we won't cross don't we?

It's down to the individual. If the person can't tell the difference between a mindless song at the football and actually comitting racial crimes then there's a problem.
If the person however knows that singing a song to wind up the opposition is not going to affect anyone or anything after they leave the ground then they can turn up doing the nazi goose step for all I care

easty
25-01-2011, 12:51 PM
It's down to the individual. If the person can't tell the difference between a mindless song at the football and actually comitting racial crimes then there's a problem.
If the person however knows that singing a song to wind up the opposition is not going to affect anyone or anything after they leave the ground then they can turn up doing the nazi goose step for all I care

That says it all for me, thanks. :aok:

lord bunberry
25-01-2011, 01:00 PM
:faf:
I think you will find the Old Firm justify all their harmless songs using similar language as you do here. Apparently the famine song isn't racist or bigoted, it is only sung to wind the 'Tic fans up etc etc etc.

its not the same as the old firm are singing about historical events and putting their bigoted spin on it where as we are winding up the jambos with songs that are tounge in cheek and not really offending anyone

marinello59
25-01-2011, 01:03 PM
its not the same as the old firm are singing about historical events and putting their bigoted spin on it where as we are winding up the jambos with songs that are tounge in cheek and not really offending anyone

They claim it's just banter though and they really ain't bigoted. it's just tongue in cheek.

marinello59
25-01-2011, 01:06 PM

You haven't really answered the question I asked though have you? Are all songs fair game because it's the fitba? The Old Firm fans would claim their songs are just banter between rivals and shouldn't be taken so seriously. They only do it to wind each other up apparently Are they right?

Thigh ar la
25-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I find this song incredibly embarassing and I cannot believe anyone would actually try to justify it!
It does nothing to help the general attitude towards people from other countries and if you consider the roots of the club then you wouldnt consider singing this...:flag:

Phil D. Rolls
25-01-2011, 01:16 PM

A working class hero is something to be. :faf:

Are you saying it's OK to be racist if you don't know what the consequences of your actions are?

Woody1985
25-01-2011, 01:18 PM

So of all the stuff going on at hibs and new signings you felt the need to comment on this one before any other.

Chaotic hibs. Hmmm.

Storar
25-01-2011, 01:22 PM
You haven't really answered the question I asked though have you? Are all songs fair game because it's the fitba? The Old Firm fans would claim their songs are just banter between rivals and shouldn't be taken so seriously. They only do it to wind each other up apparently Are they right?
IMO yes. I'd suggest that out of the 50,222 people that attended the Old Firm game a couple of weeks ago, not one of them has ever or will ever be up to their knees in fenian blood for example.

Alex Trager
25-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I personally don't think its a good song so do t sing it,however judging by a few posts from the people who've met him it seems he has a similar temperament to riordan and we all love it when he winds them up...and if they had a song for him no doubt it would be hurtful and vile.. Not justifying the song, just being realistic, they'd sing it cos it got to him just like riordan gets To them and skacel gets to many hibs fans. Personally I hate Kyle more, and that wee fud black

marinello59
25-01-2011, 01:28 PM
IMO yes. I'd suggest that out of the 50,222 people that attended the Old Firm game a couple of weeks ago, not one of them has ever or will ever be up to their knees in fenian blood for example.

So racist songs are OK then ?

Thecat23
25-01-2011, 01:36 PM
I personally don't think its a good song so do t sing it,however judging by a few posts from the people who've met him it seems he has a similar temperament to riordan and we all love it when he winds them up...and if they had a song for him no doubt it would be hurtful and vile.. Not justifying the song, just being realistic, they'd sing it cos it got to him just like riordan gets To them and skacel gets to many hibs fans. Personally I hate Kyle more, and that wee fud black

Just before he left Hearts I was in Le Monde, he was there with some girl and i chatted to him for a couple of mins mentioning i was a Hibby and he came across very well. Said he was leaving Hearts and said he hopeed both edinburgh clubs do well. So as much as i would like to slag him about being an @rse i can't. Still a smelly Yam though :greengrin

lord bunberry
25-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Calling someone an orange ******* whether he is or not is not the same as winding up a player who goes out of his way to get up our noses as I said in my last post no one is being offended

Storar
25-01-2011, 01:39 PM
So racist songs are OK then ?

Like I said, it depends on the individual and the situation.
Julius Malema singing 'Kill The Boer' is not ok but if some red faced Rangers fan wants to sing the famine song at Celtic Park then so what

Phil D. Rolls
25-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Calling someone an orange ******* whether he is or not is not the same as winding up a player who goes out of his way to get up our noses as I said in my last post no one is being offended

How do you know this, surely that's an opinion based on your own experience?

lord bunberry
25-01-2011, 01:41 PM
They claim it's just banter though and they really ain't bigoted. it's just tongue in cheek.

It's not my job to defend the of my point was regarding the rs song

lord bunberry
25-01-2011, 01:43 PM
How do you know this, surely that's an opinion based on your own experience?

Well who would be offended clearly not the player

Phil D. Rolls
25-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Well who would be offended clearly not the player

There is a report on this thread that he did take offence. Derek Riordan apologised to him for singing it why bother if the guy wasn't offended? So that takes the player out of the equation.

I am offended by it as a Hibs supporter that a section of our support is so stupid that they think this is funny.

marinello59
25-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Julius Malema singing 'Kill The Boer' is not ok but if some red faced Rangers fan wants to sing the famine song at Celtic Park then so what

Which individual? The singer or the target? :confused:

Storar
25-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Which individual? The singer or the target? :confused:

Well I gave an example of two singers so it was probably them I was referring to

easty
25-01-2011, 02:17 PM
There is a report on this thread that he did take offence. Derek Riordan apologised to him for singing it why bother if the guy wasn't offended? So that takes the player out of the equation.

I am offended by it as a Hibs supporter that a section of our support is so stupid that they think this is funny.

Derek Riordan didn't apologise because he was sorry, he apologised because of the situation society is now in, where he felt like he had to apologise.

In Borat the movie, there is a song called Throw The Jew Down The Well, I found that funny. I'm not advocating the throwing of jews (or anyone of any faith) down any well (or in fact wishing them any harm whatsoever).

Now my questions would be...is that racist of me? If I sang along would that be racist? Would me singing along offend you? Why is that different from singing the Rudi Skacel song?

lapsedhibee
25-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Could'nt have put it any better _ where did you get your brains from to write this ?
A pedant writes
Probably could. He's put can't when it should be can. :tsk tsk: :wink:

Exiled Hibby
25-01-2011, 02:41 PM

I think your criticism of Black amounts to a fuddist statement:greengrin

marinello59
25-01-2011, 02:44 PM
It's not my job to defend the of my point was regarding the rs song

But you are using the same defence as the Infirm fans would to justify their own ''harmless'' songs.

marinello59
25-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Well I gave an example of two singers so it was probably them I was referring to

Ah. So if the singer is not offended then its all OK then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Storar
25-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Ah. So if the singer is not offended then its all OK then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Like I said, it depends entirely on the circumstances but in some instances, yes.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2011, 03:07 PM

He'd be a right idiot though. Singing a song mocking a natural disaster that led to the deaths of about a million people. It would probably also be worth pointing out to him that thousands of those who emigrated to Scotland where Protestants from the area now known as Northern Ireland, Ulster saw a decline in population of between 15 and 18% due to both death and emigration. In later years many of these people affiliated themselves to none other than Glasgow Rangers, and if they didn't their children certainly did.

This for me is the whole thing about Scotland. Our whole history is blanketed in emigration and immigration. We've gone off to Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc etc whilst welcoming people from Ireland, Italy, Eastern Europe and more recently Pakistan and India and Easter Europe all over again as well as countless other places. Singing songs about refugees andso on is just ridiculous given how much historically we have gained from immigration and given through emigration.

bighairyfaeleith
25-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I quite enjoy singing it. :na na:

Phil D. Rolls
25-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Dog bites man. :rolleyes:

lord bunberry
25-01-2011, 03:47 PM

I don't know how you can be offended maybe ashamed or angry but not offended

Thigh ar la
25-01-2011, 03:57 PM
I will second being offended. If you know your history and all that then you will know that the clubs founders did it as a way of representing a community where such s*** was no doubt shouted at them on a regular basis on the street/workplace etc.
Also, if you have ever know anyone who has been the subject of remarks like this or being shouted at the street because their not from here then you might also understand.
And dont say that there is no connection from this to the terrace because what it is does is add an air of acceptability to those perhaps less intelligent and 'ironic' than those that sing it just for the wind up!

AndersonGGTTH
25-01-2011, 04:03 PM

You saying that makes me hate him even more now , he is a dirty basteward and i hate him (no im not jelous , why would i be?)

RUDI SKACEL CAME TO SCOTLAND ON A CRATE:scarf:

RIP
25-01-2011, 04:09 PM
There's a few individuals that have attempted to use the Hibs12thMan Singing Section as cover for their racist bile. They start these songs (Edinburgh Song, Refugee) in the hope that the bairns will join in.

The young laddies obviously dinnae ken any better but the song starters do. One of them is fairly open about his BNP membership

Unless they screw the nut and stick to supporting the team, their East Stand days are numbered IMO

Phil D. Rolls
25-01-2011, 04:09 PM

No, you don't know, you are not me, nor are you any of the other people you seem to think you speak for.

I will second being offended. If you know your history and all that then you will know that the clubs founders did it as a way of representing a community where such s*** was no doubt shouted at them on a regular basis on the street/workplace etc.
Also, if you have ever know anyone who has been the subject of remarks like this or being shouted at the street because their not from here then you might also understand.
And dont say that there is no connection from this to the terrace because what it is does is add an air of acceptability to those perhaps less intelligent and 'ironic' than those that sing it just for the wind up!

What he said. Furthermore, if you have ever worked with someone who has had this sort of nonsense, or your kids have friends who have to put up with it, and it doesn't bother you, it offends me that you think you have a place in a free society.

AndersonGGTTH
25-01-2011, 04:52 PM
There's a few individuals that have attempted to use the Hibs12thMan Singing Section as cover for their racist bile. They start these songs (Edinburgh Song, Refugee) in the hope that the bairns will join in.

The young laddies obviously dinnae ken any better but the song starters do. One of them is fairly open about his BNP membership

Unless they screw the nut and stick to supporting the team, their East Stand days are numbered IMO

glad to see your display pic was one of my photos mate ;) copyright and that hahah GGTTH

Alex Trager
25-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Here's hoping

Phil D. Rolls
25-01-2011, 05:01 PM

I sometimes wonder if threads like this act as a recruiting sergeant for the BNP. A few youngsters make ill thought out comments, they are shot down in flames, and then in steps a lurker with a PM, filling their head with serious nonsense.

lord bunberry
25-01-2011, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Filled Rolls;2708834]No, you don't know, you are not me, nor are you any of the other people you seem to think you speak for

I don't speak for anyone other than myself I have given my opinion as I see it. this thread started talking about what I consider to be an innocent song made up to wind an opposition player and has now descended into talk of the bnp and racism at er both of which I have never heard any evidence of or want to be a part of

Phil D. Rolls
25-01-2011, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=Filled Rolls;2708834]No, you don't know, you are not me, nor are you any of the other people you seem to think you speak for

I don't speak for anyone other than myself I have given my opinion as I see it. this thread started talking about what I consider to be an innocent song made up to wind an opposition player and has now descended into talk of the bnp and racism at er both of which I have never heard any evidence of or want to be a part of

Fair enough, I've obviously picked you up wrong. However, I think the refugee song is racist, by most definitions.

basehibby
25-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Have never sung this song as I think it's a pishy biggoted pile of pish

--------
25-01-2011, 08:35 PM

And, according to Smurf above, he actually objects to being the target of inaccurate, ignorant racist chants. Tsk tsk. eh:rolleyes:

Indeed. He obviously lacks an appreciation of some Hibbies' sense of humour.

Skacel isn't the idiot - it's the people who sing the song who're the idiots.

And decking him would have shown him how totally wrong he was to object to being called a refugee, how entirely those who call him that occupy the moral high ground... :rolleyes:

The_Todd
25-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I personally don't sing the song because it's factually incorrect and is therefore quite silly.

But racist? Do me a favour!

It's actually a lot less offensive than the song the Hearts fans sing about Merouane Zemmama being a paedophile, despite the fact that he married, and had sex with, a legally consenting adult.

If calling a player a refugee is all we have to worry about then I think we're doing pretty well.

I wasn't aware that refugees were a race anyway. :confused:

As for Skacel getting this 'abuse' because he's an Eastern European, if that's the case then why don't;

Sasa Papac
Nikica Jelavic
Tomas Cerny
Milan Misun
Marius Zaliukas
Nikola Vujadinovic
Lukasz Zaluska
Dawid Kucharski
Marian Kello
Filip Mentel
Dusan Pernis
Vladimir Weiss
Jure Travner

Who are all current SPL players from Eastern Europe, just like Skacel, get even a hint of bother from opposition fans?

I can't speak for the Rangers fans but the Hibs fans sing that song towards Rudi Skacel because, in derby matches, he is generally a fud.

Like I say, if that's all these groups have to get upset about then I think we're making great progress.

If we start going back to the days where black players are greeted on the pitch with a banana being thrown in their direction, that's when I think Scottish football needs to stop and take a breath and ask itself where it's going wrong.

So why don't we sing that he's a fud instead then? Where did refugee come from?

CRAZYHIBBY
25-01-2011, 08:47 PM
:greengrinknew this was a skacel thread just by the title

lEXO
26-01-2011, 01:22 AM

To you it,s an innocent song, to others it,s offensive.And thank duck you are speaking for yourself, i would hate you to be a spokesman for us.

Good for you.You must be so proud.

Dog bites man. :rolleyes:
And gets sick.

It,s ok to be ashamed or angry but not offended.How do you work that one out? I cannae stand Skatcel but if i,m going to abuse him i,m gonnae call him a Hearts ****** not a refugee ffs.If the song was about Obua would it be so innocent? Or does colour make a difference to our abuse.I obviously use the word our in the loosest terms, seeing as a lot of us cannae be arsed with veiled racism.

SmokieJoe
26-01-2011, 01:53 AM
[QUOTE=eh hibees;2708950]

Fair enough, I've obviously picked you up wrong. However, I think the refugee song is racist, by most definitions.

Kinda habitual with you aint it?

sven nil
26-01-2011, 02:54 AM

And Davy Dodds was not an elephant and I heard the whole stadium sing along ,I always reffered it as banter

bighairyfaeleith
26-01-2011, 04:21 AM
I have to say I'm quite amused at peoples offence:greengrin

joe breezy
26-01-2011, 06:07 AM
It's ignorant and stupid and in the spirit of racism. Many refugees are from African countries and black. The song infers that there is something wrong with being a refugee, the people that founded Hibs were in a sense refugees, not seeking refuge from persecution but refuge from bad conditions and at one point the famine.

When it was sung at Tynecastle it's cringeworthy, I was standing next to a mixed race lad.

If anything the song proves there are total ********s supporting every football club.

Andy74
26-01-2011, 07:24 AM
It's ignorant and stupid and in the spirit of racism. Many refugees are from African countries and black. The song infers that there is something wrong with being a refugee, the people that founded Hibs were in a sense refugees, not seeking refuge from persecution but refuge from bad conditions and at one point the famine.

When it was sung at Tynecastle it's cringeworthy, I was standing next to a mixed race lad.

If anything the song proves there are total ********s supporting every football club.
The gist of the song dies suggest there is something wrong with being a refugee, in the sane way infer that there is something wrong with being gay, fat, a bassa or a ham shanker.

Why do we care more about refugees? Too easy to put it together with racism. Lazy and missing the point in these daft songs.

It's a bit offensive of course but just about every sing we sing is and the fact some come in for comment and others don't is just hypocritical.

HibbingtonHibs
26-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Since when was being a refugee something to be ashamed of anyway?

I always think of refugees as being brave people who have faced, and beaten, much greater challenges than most of us will ever encounter.

Culturally the song just doesn't fit with Hibs, the Dnipro Appeal and all the other positive multi-cultural aspects of the club.

To partake in the singing of this song just singles you out as one of the empty heads.

hibbiedon
26-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Is the sing ageist?

Is the song sexist?

Is the some homophobic?

:top marks

marinello59
26-01-2011, 07:32 AM
The gist of the song dies suggest there is something wrong with being a refugee, in the sane way infer that there is something wrong with being gay, fat, a bassa or a ham shanker.

Why do we care more about refugees? Too easy to put it together with racism. Lazy and missing the point in these daft songs.

It's a bit offensive of course but just about every sing we sing is and the fact some come in for comment and others don't is just hypocritical.

Basically you are using the two (or three or four ) wrongs must make a right defence. Then you add in an insult to those who would condemn the song by calling them hypocrites. Yet you accuse others of producing a lazy argument?

And too easy to link abuse of refugees with racism? Why is it so easy to link the two I wonder?

bighairyfaeleith
26-01-2011, 07:34 AM

well said, the constant watering down of the football experience really gets my goat!

HibbingtonHibs
26-01-2011, 07:38 AM
well said, the constant watering down of the football experience really gets my goat!

You must really miss the pro-IRA and "F*** the Queen" songs mate.

marinello59
26-01-2011, 07:41 AM

The football experience? :thumbsup:
Perhaps instead of adding wee inflammatory posts all the time you could expand your argument a bit.

bighairyfaeleith
26-01-2011, 08:05 AM
The football experience? :thumbsup:
Perhaps instead of adding wee inflammatory posts all the time you could expand your argument a bit.

well it's a thought I suppose:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
26-01-2011, 08:05 AM
You must really miss the pro-IRA and "F*** the Queen" songs mate.

nah never sung them, do you?

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 08:20 AM
These threads take such a predictable turn. I always think it is funny the lengths people will go to seeking justification for crossing the line. It would appear you can sing anything you want as long as it is just a bit of banter.

I just wish they could come face to face with a concentration camp survivor or someone whose family were ethnically cleansed in Kosovo and see how long their slck jawed grins would last.

Because it's not how you justify the banter to us that matters, but how you justify it to them.

marinello59
26-01-2011, 08:21 AM
well it's a thought I suppose:greengrin

:greengrin

easty
26-01-2011, 10:17 AM
These threads take such a predictable turn. I always think it is funny the lengths people will go to seeking justification for crossing the line. It would appear you can sing anything you want as long as it is just a bit of banter.

I just wish they could come face to face with a concentration camp survivor or someone whose family were ethnically cleansed in Kosovo and see how long their slck jawed grins would last.

Because it's not how you justify the banter to us that matters, but how you justify it to them.

Gies peace! Seriously....have your objections all you want but don't imply that by singing the Skacel song people are belittling/not giving due respect to the ethnic cleansing in Kosovo. If that's what threads are going to end up like then you could do it to any thread....

Nish is crap.........Hey stop complaining, at least you weren't in a Nazi concentration camp. You don't know what real hard times are.

I haven't ever sung the Skacel song, not out of protest at it but simply because it's not a good song, in the same way I haven't sung along to anything by S Club 7 (or have I :greengrin). But if I did like it, the Skacel song, I would sing along and it in no way would make me a racist anymore than calling Hartley a poof doesnt make me a homophobe.

Andy74
26-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Gies peace! Seriously....have your objections all you want but don't imply that by singing the Skacel song people are belittling/not giving due respect to the ethnic cleansing in Kosovo. If that's what threads are going to end up like then you could do it to any thread....

Nish is crap.........Hey stop complaining, at least you weren't in a Nazi concentration camp. You don't know what real hard times are.

I haven't ever sung the Skacel song, not out of protest at it but simply because it's not a good song, in the same way I haven't sung along to anything by S Club 7 (or have I :greengrin). But if I did like it, the Skacel song, I would sing along and it in no way would make me a racist anymore than calling Hartley a poof doesnt make me a homophobe.

Sums up my thoughts on it.

lapsedhibee
26-01-2011, 10:41 AM

You are of course aware of Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law) FR?

discman
26-01-2011, 11:30 AM
You are of course aware of Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law) FR?

Given it was Easty that mentioned the Nazis and not FR,he mentioned concentration camps,a Brit invention,see Boer war,then its 1nil to the FR and game on! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 11:49 AM

If you say so. Although I would disagree with your logic.

It's not so much the racism that bothers me, it's the lengths people will go to prove they are not racist. It always seems to come back to "I don't think it's offensive so it can't be offensive".

Shakespeare and monkeys.

I've heard of it, and it's amusing to observe how often comparisons are made to the Nazis when racism and Xenophobia are up for discussion.

FWIW I think Rudi Skacel is a nob as well, and there are so many ways to slag him off without resorting to the fact that he has come here from another country. That's the crux of it.

RIP
26-01-2011, 11:50 AM
It's really simple is it no?

Hibernian Football Club don't want anyone singing this song anywhere near Easter Road. If anybody believes otherwise try writing to Jim Pryde. By all means continue to sing it and risk getting yer erse booted by club management

4 pages and inspite of all the moral high ground on both sides nobody's owned up - hardly surprising. My bet it's one or two particular song starters to blame. They will be keeping their heids doon I suspect :agree:

lapsedhibee
26-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Given it was Easty that mentioned the Nazis and not FR,he mentioned concentration camps,a Brit invention,see Boer war,then its 1nil to the FR and game on! :greengrin

:hmmm: Given that FR said "come face to face with a concentration camp survivor", I'm not sure he had the Boer war in mind, but I accept that the reference could have been, er, non-Nazi.

I'm not saying any more on the subject on the grounds that anything I do say might be taken down and used in evidence against me at a forthcoming trial in Nuremberg.

Except that yes, of course we invented them. We invented more or less everything worthwhile, railways in India, etc, what with us being an altogether superior people. How well is Rhodesia doing since we let Africans run it themselves? And look at the floods in Australia! Representatives shot in the US! :bitchy:

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 11:57 AM
:hmmm: Given that FR said "come face to face with a concentration camp survivor", I'm not sure he had the Boer war in mind, but I accept that the reference could have been, er, non-Nazi.

I'm not saying any more on the subject on the grounds that anything I do say might be taken down and used in evidence against me at a forthcoming trial in Nuremberg.

Except that yes, of course we invented them. We invented more or less everything worthwhile, railways in India, etc, what with us being an altogether superior people. How well is Rhodesia doing since we let Africans run it themselves? And look at the floods in Australia! Representatives shot in the US! :bitchy:

I was actually thinking of the Serbian concentration camps, but of course the chances of a refugee from there being in Scotland are practically non existent. Even if they were here I'm sure they'd see the funny side.

joe breezy
26-01-2011, 12:04 PM

I don't want the football experience to be watered down. I like standing at matches, creating an intimidating atmosphere, singing, shouting abuse (such as you Hearts *******) when appropriate

But when it comes to songs against immigrants I'd rather not be in the end that's singing those.

If I did I'd support Airdrie, Hearts, Rangers, Chelsea or Millwall but thankfully I don't.

khib70
26-01-2011, 12:11 PM

So if the Skacel song had a better groove and catchier lyrics, but retained its racist content, you'd sing it. If there was a better standard of racist songs around, you'd be happy to sing them?

And calling anyone a poof does make you a homophobe.

bighairyfaeleith
26-01-2011, 12:11 PM
It's really simple is it no?

Hibernian Football Club don't want anyone singing this song anywhere near Easter Road. If anybody believes otherwise try writing to Jim Pryde. By all means continue to sing it and risk getting yer erse booted by club management

4 pages and inspite of all the moral high ground on both sides nobody's owned up - hardly surprising. My bet it's one or two particular song starters to blame. They will be keeping their heids doon I suspect :agree:

ahem you might want to check back a few posts:greengrin

The club don't want us to get beat every week but hey ho!

I love how it's ok to sing certain things about skacel but not others. Surely abusing the guy one way or another is basically the same thing:confused:

Anyways, I'll keep singing it cos I want to, and the fact it annoys some folks on here will in no way influence my decision:greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
26-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't want the football experience to be watered down. I like standing at matches, creating an intimidating atmosphere, singing, shouting abuse (such as you Hearts *******) when appropriate

But when it comes to songs against immigrants I'd rather not be in the end that's singing those.

If I did I'd support Airdrie, Hearts, Rangers, Chelsea or Millwall but thankfully I don't.

But surely being a ****ing refugee is far less offensive than a hearts ****

I know which I'd rather be called:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Four pages in the thread took on its predicted course until:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_T_pwKfo5X1Q/TQzmFuvTXwI/AAAAAAAABvQ/9rBg8znEQ4w/s1600/jerry-garcia.jpg

I posted a picture of Jerry Garcia!

lapsedhibee
26-01-2011, 12:16 PM

That can't be right shirley. What about the people on the tellybox who call themselves Four Poofs And A Piano, and anyone on the tellybox who introduces them? :dunno:

bighairyfaeleith
26-01-2011, 12:19 PM
So if the Skacel song had a better groove and catchier lyrics, but retained its racist content, you'd sing it. If there was a better standard of racist songs around, you'd be happy to sing them?

But what if they are a poof?

Is it not just factual then?

Killiehibbie
26-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Except that yes, of course we invented them. We invented more or less everything worthwhile, railways in India, etc, what with us being an altogether superior people. How well is Rhodesia doing since we let Africans run it themselves? And look at the floods in Australia! Representatives shot in the US! :bitchy:Did the british really invent concentration camps? I think it could be argued that it was the U.S that invented them to intern Native Americans in the 1830's.

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Let's not forget the piano in all this, it has rights too you know.

Booked4Being-Ugly
26-01-2011, 12:32 PM
So were we Nazis when we sung the Stevie Fulton song, ya oder nein?

khib70
26-01-2011, 12:33 PM

You're either at the wind up, or beyond redemption. Either way:bye:

easty
26-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Aye I would sing it if I liked it (for example Borats "throw the jew down the well, so my country can be free...."). I don't think of it as racist. But what do I know and obviously your opinion from way up there on the moral highground obviously holds more sway.

As for your second point.....no, no it doesnt.

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 12:37 PM
So were we Nazis when we sung the Stevie Fulton song, ya oder nein?

Anything that is fun makes you a Nazi.

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Aye I would sing it if I liked it (for example Borats "throw the jew down the well, so my country can be free...."). I don't think of it as racist. But what do I know and obviously your opinion from way up there on the moral highground obviously holds more sway.

Dry your eyes. It's called debate, and the usual pattern is that you disagree and show proof to back up your argument rather than going "yeah but, no but", or "it's right because I say so, and so do my pals".

That song is supposed to be funny because it is slagging off racists. There is a danger with that kind of ironic humour that people get the wrong end of the stick though.

joe breezy
26-01-2011, 12:48 PM
That song is supposed to be funny because it is slagging off racists. There is a danger with that kind of ironic humour that people get the wrong end of the stick though.

Exactly, it's a Jewish actor seeing just how stupid red-necks are. Sadly I think a Borat character wouldn't have too many problems in getting people at Easter Road to join in with stupid racist songs.

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Exactly, it's a Jewish actor seeing just how stupid red-necks are. Sadly I think a Borat character wouldn't have too many problems in getting people at Easter Road to join in with stupid racist songs.

Goes back to all these stupid people who thought Alf Garnett was laughing with them instead of at them.

lapsedhibee
26-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Goes back to all these stupid people who thought Alf Garnett was laughing with them instead of at them.

Those were the days, when you could call people coons on the tellybox without raising so much as a titter.

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Those were the days, when you could call people coons on the tellybox without raising so much as a titter.

Jungle bunny was my favourite, but I always thought ****** was just a bit too functional. Spade was OK.

Amazing some of the things you could get away with. I watched an old episode of Sykes the other night and Peter Sellers kept going on and on about how good he was at pumping his organ. I'm sure the audience didn't get it.

marinello59
26-01-2011, 01:13 PM
ahem you might want to check back a few posts:greengrin

The club don't want us to get beat every week but hey ho!

I love how it's ok to sing certain things about skacel but not others. Surely abusing the guy one way or another is basically the same thing:confused:

Anyways, I'll keep singing it cos I want to, and the fact it annoys some folks on here will in no way influence my decision:greengrin

So basically you don't just sing it to wind up the opposition, you sing it to wind up everybody.
You are just on the wind up here aren't you?

marinello59
26-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Have you used Political Correctness gone mad yet? Best keep that one in reserve to destroy those who disagree with you. :agree:

easty
26-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Have you used Political Correctness gone mad yet? Best keep that one in reserve to destroy those who disagree with you. :agree:

Damn....I can't use it now!!

easty
26-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Would it have been funny if he wasn't a Jewish actor? What if it was just an non religious actor doing the same thing for comedy purposes? Would it then be against the rules?

marinello59
26-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Damn....I can't use it now!!

It's OK, wait a few more pages and it will be fine. :agree:

rainman
26-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Was in Mrs foremans in Musselburgh 4 or 5 years ago and saw him drinking in there. He was getting a bit of stick from a group of Hibbies (The word refugee might've been mentioned) to which he replied to by spitting straight in the boys face. He was lucky to get out alive that night IMO and should be hounded out of the country as far as i'm concerned.

I put him in the same category as El Hadj Deouf and Craig Bellamy. Unsavoury individuals that have a face you wouldn't tire of skelping.

joe breezy
Would it have been funny if he wasn't a Jewish actor? What if it was just an non religious actor doing the same thing for comedy purposes? Would it then be against the rules?

Would it be funny if it was sung by Nick Griffin or someone like that?
Not really.

Borat is funny because of all the twats he takes the piss out of. Like when he says to the huntsman on the horse 'does keeling the fox make you feel like a maan' and the toff goes, yes it does...

Phil D. Rolls

:whoosh:

easty
26-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Dry your eyes. It's called debate, and the usual pattern is that you disagree and show proof to back up your argument rather than going "yeah but, no but", or "it's right because I say so, and so do my pals".

You don't think that by using the ethnic cleansing argument in this thread you were taking the moral highground?

There is no 'proof' that my argument is right, nor is there any that yours is.

easty
26-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Would it be funny if it was sung by Nick Griffin or someone like that?
Not really.

I'd agree, it wouldn't....but what % of the Hibs fans singing Skacel song are BNP sympathisers? There's probably a handful but the majority? Half? A quarter? Nah.

bighairyfaeleith
26-01-2011, 01:32 PM
So basically you don't just sing it to wind up the opposition, you sing it to wind up everybody.
You are just on the wind up here aren't you?

A bit yeah, but I'm bored:big grin:

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 01:46 PM
You don't think that by using the ethnic cleansing argument in this thread you were taking the moral highground?

There is no 'proof' that my argument is right, nor is there any that yours is.

Someone asks, "what's wrong with calling someone a refugee", and I respond by saying that there are refugees who have had to flee their country to save their lives. That's not really taking moral high ground, it's explaining why I think it is wrong.

Phil D. Rolls
26-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I'd agree, it wouldn't....but what % of the Hibs fans singing Skacel song are BNP sympathisers? There's probably a handful but the majority? Half? A quarter? Nah.

:whoosh:

Pretty Boy
26-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Was in Mrs foremans in Musselburgh 4 or 5 years ago and saw him drinking in there. He was getting a bit of stick from a group of Hibbies (The word refugee might've been mentioned) to which he replied to by spitting straight in the boys face. He was lucky to get out alive that night IMO and should be hounded out of the country as far as i'm concerned.

I put him in the same category as El Hadj Deouf and Craig Bellamy. Unsavoury individuals that have a face you wouldn't tire of skelping.

So let me get this straight. He was out for a drink and a group of guys started given him abuse and maybe called him a refugee. He reacts to it and suddenly he should be hounded out the country and is an unsavoury individual.

I'm not condoning spitting in someones face but if i was out for a drink and some guys started on me for no real reason i'd probably react as well.

rainman
26-01-2011, 02:15 PM
So let me get this straight. He was out for a drink and a group of guys started given him abuse and maybe called him a refugee. He reacts to it and suddenly he should be hounded out the country and is an unsavoury individual.

I'm not condoning spitting in someones face but if i was out for a drink and some guys started on me for no real reason i'd probably react as well.

"Reacting" is a very loose phrase.

Would you spit in their face?

If so, you can get pigeon holed with the rest of the sc*m bags.

Jack
26-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Poof is once again becoming an accepted term within the gay community. Maybe take a while before it really becomes normal again.
Like so many things, like some people joining rest in the 21st century, progress is v e r y s l o w.

Pretty Boy
26-01-2011, 02:30 PM
"Reacting" is a very loose phrase.

Would you spit in their face?

If so, you can get pigeon holed with the rest of the sc*m bags.

I wouldn't spit in anyones face.

On saying that i wouldn't abuse someone in a bar and brand them a refugee either.

In fact i'd say anyone who does that is every bit as big a **** bag as the person who reacted by spitting at them.