PDA

View Full Version : Have Hibs played Arsenal?

dar
24-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Just been on the tour at Emirates stadium and was wondering if we have played Arsenal before. Don't remember it in my time of watching Hibs.

Iggy Pope
24-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Just been on the tour at Emirates stadium and was wondering if we have played Arsenal before. Don't remember it in my time of watching Hibs.

Definitely a floodlit challenge iin the fifties and they battered us.

Edit: 52 - 53

Jonnyboy
24-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Lost 7-1 with Lawrie Reilly getting the Hibs goal

We also lost 5-0 at Highbury in 1926 and drew 2-2 at ER in 1955 with Reilly and Turnbull getting our goals

ScottB
24-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Isn't our strip design a tribute to Arsenal?

dar
24-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info.

Alfred E Newman
24-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Isn`t it the other way round? :wink:

Wembley67
24-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Didn't help us going into the game cocky as hell after beating the cream of England...how that backfired.

HibbyAndy
24-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Imagine the score if we played them now :hilarious

:greengrin

Newhaven
24-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Did you do the legends tour with Charlie George?

3pm
24-01-2011, 08:30 PM

Total mismatch Andy but if they keep Rankin quiet they'd have a chance!

Iggy Pope
24-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Link to the 1952 programme attached.

Not sure how to cut and paste as an attachment
:doh:

Newhaven
24-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Van Persie would be quaking in his boots against our defence :agree:

JoJo_07
24-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Yes once (http://ihibs.co.uk/team_friendly_list.php?from=78&to=500&venue=0&update=Update&page=9) anyway. Can't work out how to do a full search as Arsenal not showing in all teams (perhaps because we haven't played them in a competitive match). Great site though.

Kato
24-01-2011, 09:06 PM

We also lost 5-0 at Highbury in 1926 and drew 2-2 at ER in 1955 with Reilly and Turnbull getting our goals

One of the old Hibs books has a report that we played them in the 1930's and, wait for it, it was on the telly. Sounds bizarre but when you get given the info that John Logie Baird was working for the beeb broadcasting the first telly service from the nearby Alexandra Palace it's less so.

Found this and it makes no mention of the Hibs fixture but the experiment was seemingly repeated.

http://www.onthisfootballday.com/football-history/september-16-first-match-on-tv-arsenal-cant-lose.php

There's an outside chance it's your 1926 fixture John as Baird started trainsmitting TV pictures in January of that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Logie_Baird#First_public_demonstrations

Jonnyboy
24-01-2011, 09:37 PM
One of the old Hibs books has a report that we played them in the 1930's and, wait for it, it was on the telly. Sounds bizarre but when you get given the info that John Logie Baird was working for the beeb broadcasting the first telly service from the nearby Alexandra Palace it's less so.

Found this and it makes no mention of the Hibs fixture but the experiment was seemingly repeated.

http://www.onthisfootballday.com/football-history/september-16-first-match-on-tv-arsenal-cant-lose.php

There's an outside chance it's your 1926 fixture John as Baird started trainsmitting TV pictures in January of that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Logie_Baird#First_public_demonstrations

Sounds possible Kato :agree:

The match was played as part of the deal for Arsenal having signed goalkeeper Willie Harper some months before

Winston Ingram
24-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Van Persie would be quaking in his boots against our defence :agree:

At least our strikers would make their defence look solid for a change:greengrin

proud_and_green
25-01-2011, 04:53 AM
There used to be a very close relationship between Arsenal and Hibs and our strip did come from the Gooners.

I went down to Highbury some years ago and went to the museum (£2 to get in compared to £14 for Chelsea World of Sport) after my daughter and i came out of the museum, one of the Arsenal suits (Director of Communications i think) walked over to us and started chatting, asked where we were from, what team we supported and then offered to show us the ground. Not sure who he was but he spoke at great length and with great fondness about the relationship between Arsenal and Hibs. He showed us round - weren't allowed to stand on the pitch though,apparentl nobody was.

Dashing Bob S
25-01-2011, 04:56 AM

Leith born Hibs fan Jimmy Logie scored a hat-rick for the Gunners.

dar
25-01-2011, 06:18 AM
Did you do the legends tour with Charlie George?

Just the normal tour. Kenny Sansom was on the legends tour Yesterday.

francobaresi
25-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Did yon Baker laddie not go to Arsenal many moons ago now?

Kato
26-01-2011, 08:52 AM
There used to be a very close relationship between Arsenal and Hibs and our strip did come from the Gooners.

That's a bit of a myth. Both clubs copied the Austrian national teams' strip at the same time after they had toured the UK.

The story I heard about Joe Baker is that Arsenal were a bit worried about his fitness when he signed so they offered Joe 100 quid a goal rather than a wage. Baker scored 98 goals for them in two seasons.

Kato
26-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Whether the strip came from the Austrian national teams strip or not Arsenal difinitely used it first :agree:

Second, with Hibs a worthy third.

lapsedhibee
26-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Second, with Hibs a worthy third.

Hibs might not have copied it off Austria if they hadn't already known that Arsenal had decided to copy it.

Hibernia Na Eir
26-01-2011, 09:33 AM

to Eire ?

:stirrer:

Kato
26-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Hibs might not have copied it off Austria if they hadn't already known that Arsenal had decided to copy it.

How do you know whoever copied it for Hibs knew about Arsenal copying it?:flag:

Jim Herriot
26-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Battered? Sounds like a pretty close game to me...

lapsedhibee
26-01-2011, 10:48 AM
How do you know whoever copied it for Hibs knew about Arsenal copying it?:flag:

I don't. How do you know they didn't? You're the one that's claiming Hibs didn't copy Arsenal! :wink:

In current predicament I'd be chuffed if Hibs managed to copy something - anything - off Ipswich.

ancient hibee
26-01-2011, 11:11 AM
The second half of the 7-1 match was live on telly(not that we had one then)-rumour had it that the drinkers in the team had a good afternoon session before the game.I was at the 2-2 game -Arsenal were lucky to get the draw-ourgoalie(Miller or Hamilton I think) sold the jerseys.

Kato
26-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't. How do you know they didn't? You're the one that's claiming Hibs didn't copy Arsenal! :wink:

I'm reporting what it said in a Hibs book - that both teams copied the austrians independently.

In current predicament I'd be chuffed if Hibs managed to copy something - anything - off Ipswich.

Same here. :wink:

smack
26-01-2011, 11:35 AM

That was a high scoring game :greengrin

Sunny1875
26-01-2011, 05:32 PM
The second half of the 7-1 match was live on telly(not that we had one then)-rumour had it that the drinkers in the team had a good afternoon session before the game.I was at the 2-2 game -Arsenal were lucky to get the draw-ourgoalie(Miller or Hamilton I think) sold the jerseys.

Some things just go on and on

hibbybrian
26-01-2011, 05:45 PM

[/B]

Some things just go on and on

It was Tommy Younger in goals against Arsenal (Hamilton played in the next 2 games)

clerriehibs
05-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Is being 4 goals up & blowing it Aresenal's tribute to us?

patlowe
05-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Link to the 1952 programme attached.

Not sure how to cut and paste as an attachment
:doh:

Got a copy of this programme, it's a fascinating glimpse of the regard Hibs were held in back then.

erin go bragh
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
yes ,it was a tribute to some arsenal team or player that played in the 30s[i had it saved on my drafts but on an old phone that got broke]
ggtth

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't know if it's the case but I was told it was the Famous Fives biggest defeat in a game. They beat Man U 7-3 around this time. But Manky U didn't have a Hibs fan playing centre forward for them.

Renfrew_Hibby
06-02-2011, 09:04 AM
We do indeed owe our strip to the Gunners. Well not the Gunners but rather their manager to be more precise.
The great Herbert Chapman who was a Scot, had won back to back titles with Huddersfield Town and left to go to Arsenal where he then won 3 titles in a row which was a 1st in the English game.
I believe it was his idea to have the Arsenal tops with white sleeves as it would make players more noticable to their team mates on the pitch. With these new tops Arsenal went on to win 3 in a row and they were deemed 'special tops'. Before Chapman came Arsenal had only ever worn all red tops, which were in fact a tribute in themselves to the great Notts Forrest side when the Gunners had been formed.
Chapman became a living legend down south for his exploits with Huddersfield and Arsenal and we Scots were rightly proud of him. The 1930's had been a bad decade for The Hibees with relegation, nearly going bust and struggling badly just about every season.
Before the start of 1939/40 season the board felt the whole club needed a lift and with a bright new decade about to start a new strip would symbolise a bright new start for everyone, team and fans alike.
Up until 1939 Hibe wore a dark all bottle green top, we had worn it for about 60 years but someone on the bord deemed it gloomy and suggested a lighter green. Someone else went a bit further and suggested white sleeves as a tribute to the great Chapman, it was backed in full.
We started the season in our new strips then World War Two broke out and the strips wouldn't really see the light of day until 1945/46...
... and the Famous Five!

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2011, 09:24 AM
We do indeed owe our strip to the Gunners. Well not the Gunners but rather their manager to be more precise.
The great Herbert Chapman who was a Scot, had won back to back titles with Huddersfield Town and left to go to Arsenal where he then won 3 titles in a row which was a 1st in the English game.
I believe it was his idea to have the Arsenal tops with white sleeves as it would make players more noticable to their team mates on the pitch. With these new tops Arsenal went on to win 3 in a row and they were deemed 'special tops'. Before Chapman came Arsenal had only ever worn all red tops, which were in fact a tribute in themselves to the great Notts Forrest side when the Gunners had been formed.
Chapman became a living legend down south for his exploits with Huddersfield and Arsenal and we Scots were rightly proud of him. The 1930's had been a bad decade for The Hibees with relegation, nearly going bust and struggling badly just about every season.
Before the start of 1939/40 season the board felt the whole club needed a lift and with a bright new decade about to start a new strip would symbolise a bright new start for everyone, team and fans alike.
Up until 1939 Hibe wore a dark all bottle green top, we had worn it for about 60 years but someone on the bord deemed it gloomy and suggested a lighter green. Someone else went a bit further and suggested white sleeves as a tribute to the great Chapman, it was backed in full.
We started the season in our new strips then World War Two broke out and the strips wouldn't really see the light of day until 1945/46...
... and the Famous Five!

I have asked this question before, but have never had an answer? I seem to remember we played hearts at easter road in the early 70s, and maybe my memory is playing tricks, but i seem to remember us playing in an all green top that was bottle green, have i dreamt this? :confused:

Wing Half
06-02-2011, 10:10 AM
It was emerald green with white collar and cuffs. We wore them for the Cup Winners Cup games too.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2011, 10:26 AM
It was emerald green with white collar and cuffs. We wore them for the Cup Winners Cup games too.

Thanks, i thought i had seen something like that, and had forgotten about the collar and cuffs being white. Was it my imagination, but was that strip darker than what we used to play in at the time?

brog
06-02-2011, 10:29 AM
We continue to have a good relationship with Arsenal. About 12 years ago the great Joe Baker was our guest at London Hibs Burns Night. Joe was an honoured guest in the Highbury boardroom & a whole centre page spread in the programme was devoted to a Hibs & Arsenal legend.
Alex Cropley was our guest last year & enjoyed a tour of the Emirates & Arsenal reps come along & enjoy haggis at our Burns Night. Long may our good relationship continue.
PS, we also took Eddie Turnbull to WHL & he met Bill Nicholson. In the hospitality lounge afterwards, little Tommy Harmer, a Spurs legend, came up to Eddie & said "I remember playing you Jocks, you weren't a bad team", " Not bad" said the bold Ned, " We f***** you 5-2!" Our Eddie, always the diplomat!

Iggy Pope
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks, i thought i had seen something like that, and had forgotten about the collar and cuffs being white. Was it my imagination, but was that strip darker than what we used to play in at the time?

Here is the wonderful Alan Gordon in that very strip humbling the Lisbon giants.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Here is the wonderful Alan Gordon in that very strip humbling the Lisbon giants.

TFFT, :wink: I thought i was going daft, i was sure we had sometimes played in a darker green in those days, i remember it as a bottle green, and had bought that strip then, thinking it looked cool with my jeans. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
TFFT, :wink: I thought i was going daft, i was sure we had sometimes played in a darker green in those days, i remember it as a bottle green, and had bought that strip then, thinking it looked cool with my jeans. :greengrin

FWIW St Pats school side of the same era played in that very attire

erin go bragh
07-02-2011, 04:53 PM
... and the Famous Five!
nice 1 pal [knew our strip was linked to them,some sort of tribute ] :top marks

Ringothedog
07-02-2011, 06:13 PM

Just out of curiosity...where did you get the programme ? as it looks very much like my younger selfs writing. In fact it is my writing.

ancient hibee
07-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I have always been told by even older people than me that the change in strip was because Harry Swan wanted to play down the Irish Catholic link particularly as there was such a strong anti Catholic movement in Edinburgh at the time.