PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood could ask board to break transfer record?!

StarMan10
24-01-2011, 06:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9372385.stm

Spike Mandela
24-01-2011, 06:57 PM

yeah right. Then why the **** does he not??

The_Todd
24-01-2011, 06:59 PM
"I haven't been told they are not there," the Hibs boss said when asked if such resources were available.

In other words, he could ask. He wouldn't get.

Sammy7nil
24-01-2011, 07:02 PM
"I haven't been told they are not there," the Hibs boss said when asked if such resources were available.

In other words, he could ask. He wouldn't get.

I could have a 24" knob but I dont ! :wink: It is much bigger

hibbie02
24-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Something going oink just flew past my window. The Tache would have heart failure!!! :agree:

Sir David Gray
24-01-2011, 07:04 PM
No danger that we'll pay more than £700,000 for a player in the next week.

Spike Mandela
24-01-2011, 07:05 PM
We always appear to be open to ridicule.

We don't choose headlines but 'Hibs manager aims high in transfer market' is then followed by signing.....Martin Scott of Ross County.

Why do we always look so foolish:confused::dummytit:

wazoo1875
24-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Something going oink just flew past my window. The Tache would have heart failure!!! :agree:

I genuinely don't think he would, i think he would point at his office door, calmly say oot and then pish himself laughing where he sat :greengrin

Saorsa
24-01-2011, 07:07 PM
He's right, he could ask, but he'd be better no wasting his breath :agree:

wazoo1875
24-01-2011, 07:08 PM
No danger that we'll pay more than £700,000 for a group of players in the next millenium.

Fixed :wink:

ScottB
24-01-2011, 07:18 PM
1. Enough of the 'spend lots = good players' claptrap.

2. Folk demand comments from the club about spending and player acquisition strategy, they get them then promptly declare them all nonsense.

3. So we might be signing a guy from Ross County, big deal! Who the hell are we like to consider that to be beneath us? Aye a player from a Scottish Cup Finalist side from a division that's seen plenty players go on to success in the SPL, the Championship and now ones heading off to the Premiership. But no, First Division players are a sign of tight fistedness at Hibs apparently, unless it's Leigh Griffiths of course.

Honestly, let's see what happens in the rest of the month and how our new signings acutally play rather than judging them on where they've come from, 2 minute YouTube clips or that they look fat in a photo on Google Images!!

SloopJB
24-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Christ, you must have one helluva big door.

Removed
24-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I could ask my missus to take it up the **** and I'd have more chance of a that than CC breaking the transfer record

Future17
24-01-2011, 07:28 PM

2. Folk demand comments from the club about spending and player acquisition strategy, they get them then promptly declare them all nonsense.

3. So we might be signing a guy from Ross County, big deal! Who the hell are we like to consider that to be beneath us? Aye a player from a Scottish Cup Finalist side from a division that's seen plenty players go on to success in the SPL, the Championship and now ones heading off to the Premiership. But no, First Division players are a sign of tight fistedness at Hibs apparently, unless it's Leigh Griffiths of course.

Honestly, let's see what happens in the rest of the month and how our new signings acutally play rather than judging them on where they've come from, 2 minute YouTube clips or that they look fat in a photo on Google Images!!

:top marks

Wembley67
24-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Would love it of this actually happened.....talk about backtrack.net

Matty_Jack04
24-01-2011, 07:32 PM

:top marks

ScottB
24-01-2011, 07:34 PM

No doubt if we did beat the record it would just have been done so it could be used as a 'stick to beat anyone who dares to question the Board' judging by the reactions to us apparently spending £3 million on players in recent seasons.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 07:34 PM

If it did it would only be because of pressure from this messageboard, nothing else. :greengrin

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I could ask my missus to take it up the **** and I'd have more chance of a that than CC breaking the transfer record

Ok I'll say it....

But your missus quite likes that 65BD :greengrin

Spike Mandela
24-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Calm yourself Scotty B:wink:

Nobody is saying a Ross County player is beneath us(far from it) but it is a wee bit away from the headine in the article of 'aiming high':greengrin.

As for the spend lots = good players claptrap equation well we would actually have to try it first to see if it worked. It is CC that mentioned breaking club transfer record after all

The closest I can remember us getting to doing this was when we signed the likes of Sauzee, Latapy Mixu, Zitelli and De la Cruz. Claptrap right enough:greengrin

greenlex
24-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Nobody is saying a Ross County player is beneath us(far from it) but it is a wee bit away from the headine in the article of 'aiming high':greengrin.

As for the spend lots = good players claptrap equation well we would actually have to try it first to see if it worked. It is CC that mentioned breaking club transfer record after all

The closest I can remember us getting to doing this was when we signed the likes of Sauzee, Latapy Mixu, Zitelli and De la Cruz. Claptrap right enough:greengrin
Nope he was asked the question.
Typical hibs.net at the moment though. I reckon this could go to 4 pages on the back of a random hack question he answered.

BEEJ
24-01-2011, 07:40 PM
We always appear to be open to ridicule.

We don't choose headlines but 'Hibs manager aims high in transfer market' is then followed by signing.....Martin Scott of Ross County.

Why do we always look so foolish:confused::dummytit:
The question was answered 'in principle' (not concerning this particular transfer window) and so the headline should more accurately read:

Calderwood would not rule out asking board to break club transfer record for the right player.

But of course that's too long a headline and also its far better to make it 'topical' and slightly controversial by relating it to the club's current woes and need for transfers, thereby meaning the piece will grab much more attention.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 07:40 PM

I am told a certain Mr. Harper cost us a pretty penny.

ScottB
24-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Oh there's enough of it on other threads! Obviously spending big on guys like that is a good idea, but then conversely our recent big spending attempts include Miller and O'Brien! It was more a comment aimed at those who think players can only be good if they cost lots!

So far they've done exactly what people wanted them to do, CC bringing in a player he's worked with in England and Adams a guy from his experience in the First Division.

SMAXXA
24-01-2011, 08:02 PM
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/photos/broken-piggy-bank.jpg

CRAZYHIBBY
24-01-2011, 08:08 PM
If he asks Petrie to smash the transfer record he'll be found in the darkest corner of Easter road with a sock in his mouth:confused:

snooky
24-01-2011, 08:13 PM
"Calderwood could ask board to break transfer record?! "

CRACK! ............ There goes CC's copy of "Chanson D'amour" :wink:

Aldo
24-01-2011, 08:21 PM
:faf:

2 hopes......ones boab the other is Nay.

Dont make me laugh...we are in the ***** big time and we missed out on Stewart for me is a very big mistake...both he and Courier will come back to haunt us BIG...mark my word

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-01-2011, 08:26 PM

If we do break the record I think I'll have stretched mine to that size.

The Voice Of Reason
24-01-2011, 08:30 PM

:faf: Quality ! LOL !!!

Ray_
24-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I am told a certain Mr. Harper cost us a pretty penny.

He did, but Hibs got a bit more for the far better player we sold to replace the outlay we paid for Harper [Alex Cropley]. Harper never worked too well for Hibs, more so for the players that we had to let go to accommodate him & not because he never had the quality to score goals.

In his last game in hibs colours, he got five goals in a reserve outing, while the hibs first eleven were struggling for goals. That struggle lasted several years until we had players like Irvine, Durie & Cowen join the club in the eighties.

During Hibs lean spell in front of goal, during the latter seventies, Harper was still banging them in for Aberdeen.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 09:09 PM
But he was a Scottish record signing at the time was he not?

The point being that sometimes its not as easy paying big bucks and the players looking at the big money, disappointingly, dont want to play for Hibs these days. At least Harper chose to come to us then, I doubt he would do it today.

He did, but Hibs got a bit more for the far better player we sold to replace the outlay we paid for Harper [Alex Cropley]. Harper never worked too well for Hibs, more so for the players that we had to let go to accommodate him & not because he never had the quality to score goals.

In his last game in hibs colours, he got five goals in a reserve outing, while the hibs first eleven were struggling for goals. That struggle lasted several years until we had players like Irvine, Durie & Cowen join the club in the eighties.

During Hibs lean spell in front of goal, during the latter seventies, Harper was still banging them in for Aberdeen.

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Christmas eve the wife said to me she'd let me do that for the first time ever, if i got the xmas tree down from the loft.

I said yes please, and proceeded to bend her over the kitchen table, after she asked if i could get the tree up now, i said i'd give it a bash but there was barely room for my wee man.

Ray_
24-01-2011, 09:17 PM
But he was a Scottish record signing at the time was he not?

The point being that sometimes its not as easy paying big bucks and the players looking at the big money, disappointingly, dont want to play for Hibs these days. At least Harper chose to come to us then, I doubt he would do it today.

Different days, Hibs kept most of their big names back then[Cropley being the exception] & Harper stated that he choose Hibs due to the quality of the players.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Different days, Hibs kept most of their big names back then & Harper stated that he choose Hibs due to the quality of the players.

Absolutely. I dont think there is any doubt Harper was a good player/goalscorer but, for whatever reason, it didnt really work at Hibs, which is the point I was trying to put across.

While our two signings so far, and those we have been "linked with", are not high profile they all seem have a decent physical presence and a reputation of having a bit of fight about them, something we are seriously lacking.

Ray_
24-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Absolutely. I dont think there is any doubt Harper was a good player/goalscorer but, for whatever reason, it didnt really work at Hibs, which is the point I was trying to put across.

While our two signings so far, and those we have been "linked with", are not high profile they all seem have a decent physical presence and a reputation of having a bit of fight about them, something we are seriously lacking.

Hope so, but being in the position where we are [league & cups] and constantly being in a position where we need to empty players who are dead wood, says an awful lot about our transfer strategy over recent years.

Tricla
24-01-2011, 10:37 PM

Sense spoken on Hibs.net!

:shocked:

ScottB
24-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Hope so, but being in the position where we are [league & cups] and constantly being in a position where we need to empty players who are dead wood, says an awful lot about our transfer strategy over recent years.

Consider the rate of turnover in the teams around us as well though, it's the reason why no team has ever managed to keep the coveted third spot to itself long term, the very nature of our clubs existence is trying to acquire or develop good players who will move on, while trying to punt the ones who don't work out.

By its nature it makes it difficult to have anything to build on for long term consistency.

PeeJay
25-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Different days, Hibs kept most of their big names back then[Cropley being the exception] & Harper stated that he choose Hibs due to the quality of the players.

Not sure about that - according to "King Joey" he came because he wanted to play with players like Cropley, Brownlie, Gordon and O'Rourke - all of whom were sold off within a few months of his arrival. He really wanted to go to Aberdeeen anyway...

Exiled Hibby
25-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Not sure about that - according to "King Joey" he came because he wanted to play with players like Cropley, Brownlie, Gordon and O'Rourke - all of whom were sold off within a few months of his arrival. He really wanted to go to Aberdeeen anyway...

Spoke to him at a function a couple of years back. He said he only signed for Hibs because he had realised Everton wasnt for him and it was his only way back to Scotland. He later got his return to the sheep that he wanted.
All this was said in front of an audience of sheep fans so may have been a bit of playing to the crowd involved, but I certainly thought his heart was never in playing for us.

Keith_M
25-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Christmas eve the wife said to me she'd let me do that for the first time ever, if i got the xmas tree down from the loft.

I said yes please, and proceeded to bend her over the kitchen table, after she asked if i could get the tree up now, i said i'd give it a bash but there was barely room for my wee man.

:greengrin

H18sry
25-01-2011, 11:48 AM
The last time we broke the transfer record, UDLC made a healthy profit when sold, for the bank balance :agree:

Franck is God
25-01-2011, 01:03 PM
pretty much all the players we have paid fees for in recent years have moved on for a significant profit.

For example if CC went to the board and said he must have Rooney now but it will cost £250k to secure his services but he sees potential for a larger sell on fee in a couple of years then it would be worth consideration.

Regardless of what the media like to peddle we have paid plenty money in compensation/fees for players and our wage budget is higher than most in the SPL, our players are not paupers!

PeeJay
25-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Spoke to him at a function a couple of years back. He said he only signed for Hibs because he had realised Everton wasnt for him and it was his only way back to Scotland. He later got his return to the sheep that he wanted.
All this was said in front of an audience of sheep fans so may have been a bit of playing to the crowd involved, but I certainly thought his heart was never in playing for us.

In his "KIng Joey" book he suggests he was shattered to find out that on the day he signed for Hibs he got home only to find out that Aberdeen had been after him on the phone, but - no mobiles back then - so he couldn't be contacted, had to come to us ... says it all really. He got booed off the field for scoring five goals for us, which says a lot about Hibs fans perhaps?:wink:

jacomo
25-01-2011, 03:26 PM
The last time we broke the transfer record, UDLC made a healthy profit when sold, for the bank balance :agree:

True, but the fact he played in the 2002 World Cup was the main reason for that.

erin-go-bragh87
25-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Is our record fee paid not 800,000 for De La Cruz. I can't see us spending more than that at any time in the near future!

Dinkydoo
25-01-2011, 03:38 PM
:faf:

2 hopes......ones boab the other is Nay.

Dont make me laugh...we are in the ***** big time and we missed out on Stewart for me is a very big mistake...both he and Courier will come back to haunt us BIG...mark my word

Why in the name of christ would you want that wee ginger prick back at Hibs?