PDA

View Full Version : Short termism

The Sea-gull
24-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Not usually an attitude I or many others advocate but it is what we need at the moment.

The Board has to decide (probably based on our performance/results against the Huns and the way other results go on Wednesday) whether to stick with CC or get someone else in, even if it is just a short term appointment with the remit to keep us up. Surley they must have already ear marked a plan B some weeks ago that would kick in if things start to get desparate (we are now about one result away from things getting that way).

If CC is not the man we cannot allow the window to pass by without any new man being allowed to get in players.

If CC is the man he has to bring in players who are built for a battle for survival. This does not mean they have to be ear marked to stay at Hibs for the next 2 or 3 years, just long enough to keep us up and we can rebuild in the summer.

The time is now for Petrie to release funds that allow a few players with experience and something to prove to come in even till the end of the season, even if they are on loan and it means that we will have to pay higher wages/bonus incentives for keeping us up.

It is a gamble I don't think we can afford not to take.

H18sry
24-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Not usually an attitude I or many others advocate but it is what we need at the moment.

The Board has to decide (probably based on our performance/results against the Huns and the way other results go on Wednesday) whether to stick with CC or get someone else in, even if it is just a short term appointment with the remit to keep us up. Surley they must have already ear marked a plan B some weeks ago that would kick in if things start to get desparate (we are now about one result away from things getting that way).

If CC is not the man we cannot allow the window to pass by without any new man being allowed to get in players.

If CC is the man he has to bring in players who are built for a battle for survival. This does not mean they have to be ear marked to stay at Hibs for the next 2 or 3 years, just long enough to keep us up and we can rebuild in the summer.

The time is now for Petrie to bring in a few players with experience and something to prove, till the end of the season, even if they are on loan and it means that we will have to pay higher wages/bonus incentives for keeping us up.

I would rather have a manager like CC pick players than an accountant. :agree:

The Sea-gull
24-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I would rather have a manager like CC pick players than an accountant. :agree:

Sorry, didn't mean he should bring in players, meant he should fund the means to bring in players. Will edit.

Beefster
24-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Calderwood will not be sacked any time soon. Rightly.

lord bunberry
24-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Calderwood will not be sacked any time soon. Rightly.

Or wrongly

hibs0666
24-01-2011, 10:21 AM

The time is now for Petrie to release funds that allow a few players with experience and something to prove to come in even till the end of the season, even if they are on loan and it means that we will have to pay higher wages/bonus incentives for keeping us up.

Hibs need to think long-term but act decisively in the short term. That means bringing in players not to see us avoid relegation but which will form the core of the team for the next three years.

Unfortunately it also means putting a serious bonus payment on the table for avoiding relegation. It seems like professional pride is not enough for a lot of these guys and the only thing that they pay much heed to is dosh.

Beefster
24-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Or wrongly

"We've got an under-performing Sales team who can't sell for ****. Come in to manage them but if you can't improve them with a wee motivational chat and some tips on selling then we'll sack you within 6 months. Don't be getting any funny ideas like changing any of the team for some proper salespeople though."

What idiot would take that job? You'd also question how serious the folk handing out the job were.

Danderhall Hibs
24-01-2011, 10:27 AM
"We've got an under-performing Sales team who can't sell for ****. Come in to manage them but if you can't improve them with a wee motivational chat and some tips on selling then we'll sack you within 6 months. Don't be getting any funny ideas like changing any of the team for some proper salespeople though."

What idiot would take that job? You'd also question how serious the folk handing out the job were.

Spot on. We've got a lot of knee-jerkers in our support.

Just Jimmy
24-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Spot on. We've got a lot of knee-jerkers in our support.

how knee jerk is watching the best hibs team in decades be systematically torn apart, never replaced, whilst our board continue to preach the same propaganda about budgets and facilities? Yet they continue to apoint unqualified poor choices as Manager, then continue to further undermine them by not allowing them a proper football budget.

Easter Road is rotten to the core, From Petries office, right the way down to the wage theives who somehow continue to be allowed to humiliate the fans each weekend.

Newhaven
24-01-2011, 09:36 PM
how knee jerk is watching the best hibs team in decades be systematically torn apart, never replaced, whilst our board continue to preach the same propaganda about budgets and facilities? Yet they continue to apoint unqualified poor choices as Manager, then continue to further undermine them by not allowing them a proper football budget.

Easter Road is rotten to the core, From Petries office, right the way down to the wage theives who somehow continue to be allowed to humiliate the fans each weekend.

:agree:

Some of us can see the problems already but others need more time.

greenlex
24-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Ultimately with hindsight poor choices but unqualified? Inexperienced yes but unqualified?

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Hence the reason he looks so comfortable in interviews cos he knows he's safe and the job in front of him.

Either that or....lets not go there.:greengrin

Just Jimmy
24-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Ultimately with hindsight poor choices but unqualified? Inexperienced yes but unqualified?

Alright perhaps we say inexperienced then? Although I would argue that the way Hughes conducted himself in the dugout whilst Falkirk manager, at Easter Road and whilst Hibs manager, made him unqualified.

Still, lets say inexperienced. surely that makes the failings of the board I allude to even more unforgiveable then?

greenlex
24-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Alright perhaps we say inexperienced then? Although I would argue that the way Hughes conducted himself in the dugout whilst Falkirk manager, at Easter Road and whilst Hibs manager, made him unqualified.

Still, lets say inexperienced. surely that makes the failings of the board I allude to even more unforgiveable then?

The previous two were inexperienced but successful. Why would it be necessary to change a working formula?
I agree after Mixu we should have went for experience as the time was right. Probably Calderwood was the man then? We will see in the fullness of time.