PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Jean-Francois Lescinel

Hibhibhooray
24-01-2011, 07:15 AM
http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hibs_set_to_swoop_for_swindon_defender_jeanfrancoi s_lescinel_624169/index.shtml

Beefster
24-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Is it just me or is it slightly depressing that we may be relying on a League One reserve to sort out our problem left-back position? It hardly indicates 'full, committed backing of the manager'.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Is it just me or is it slightly depressing that we may be relying on a League One reserve to sort out our problem left-back position? It hardly indicates 'full, committed backing of the manager'.

If we even sign him, IF, can we watch him play before we castigate the guy?

The reality is that this is the market we are in. And look on the bright side, at least he's not a midget :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
24-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Well he sounds foreign to me, so I'm sold:thumbsup:

LancsHibs
24-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Anyone remember him at the Bairns?

smurf
24-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Yip. Agreed.

Beefster
24-01-2011, 08:03 AM
If we even sign him, IF, can we watch him play before we castigate the guy?

The reality is that this is the market we are in. And look on the bright side, at least he's not a midget :greengrin

Who's castigating the guy? I know nothing about him other than he was at Falkirk for a short spell, couldn't get a contract at Aberdeen and is a reserve at Swindon now.

I still stand by the comment that a League One reserve, in our situation, isn't good enough, I'm afraid. This isn't a Sproule, who just hasn't had a chance at a bigger club, or a Murphy who just can't break into the team at a Premiership club or even a Hart who has proven himself in the SPL at some point.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Yip. Agreed.

So who should he be targeting thats affordable, available and willing to come here?

Beefster
24-01-2011, 08:05 AM
So who should he be targeting thats affordable, available and willing to come here?

We have a scouting network, right? I even read that we have a Scouting Co-ordinator last week.

Cropley10
24-01-2011, 08:07 AM

I give up. You tell us?

And in any case it's not our job to do the suggesting or hiring.

But I think it's fair to say that now is not the time to be 'gambling' the Club immediate future on more players no-one else wants.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Who's castigating the guy? I know nothing about him other than he was at Falkirk for a short spell, couldn't get a contract at Aberdeen and is a reserve at Swindon now.

I still stand by the comment that a League One reserve, in our situation, isn't good enough, I'm afraid. This isn't a Sproule, who just hasn't had a chance at a bigger club, or a Murphy who just can't break into the team at a Premiership club or even a Hart who has proven himself in the SPL at some point.

Thats fair comment but perhaps this a short term deal in a position where we are weak. Perhaps, having made approaches and been knocked back, CC believes he is better than what we have and feels he can get something out of him.

We are operating in a market where Scunthorpe, on crowds of under 5k, can offer our club captain a significantly better deal than we can and outbid all SPL clubs (outside the OF and even then, just now thats a maybe) on the SPL's current leading scorer.

It sucks.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 08:13 AM
I give up. You tell us?

But I think it's fair to say that now is not the time to be 'gambling' the Club immediate future on more players no-one else wants.

We dont even know if we're signing this guy? No-one wanted Murphy when we signed him. Perhaps we have seen something that we can use. I am not particularly thrilled either but I do think, if he is a target and we sign him, he should be given a chance.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 08:14 AM
We have a scouting network, right? I even read that we have a Scouting Co-ordinator last week.

We do! Christ....give me a minute here :greengrin

jonny
24-01-2011, 08:19 AM
has this rumour been posted anywhere else? whats the reliability of Hibees Mad? Im not convinced this is true but if it is then I'll give the guy a chance - CC has obviously seen something in him that he thinks would add to the squad.

smurf
24-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Are you at all confident to suggest that he appears to be potentially better than we have?

Ray_
24-01-2011, 08:22 AM
has this rumour been posted anywhere else? whats the reliability of Hibees Mad? Im not convinced this is true but if it is then I'll give the guy a chance - CC has obviously seen something in him that he thinks would add to the squad.

:greengrin Not a dig at the reported target, but CC see's something in Rankin, Nish & Smith, that's why he plays them!

Wilson
24-01-2011, 08:27 AM
We need signings. Calderwood has to get his own guys in and get this team sorted. We should give him the benefit of the doubt over his targets - it is his job to find hibs class players on the cheap after all.

Hibbyradge
24-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Are you at all confident to suggest that he appears to be potentially better than we have?

Our manager clearly does.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 08:29 AM

No I'm not and would much rather it was someone who was perhaps more familiar to us. But as Beefster pointed out Michael Hart was and Yogi chased him for months. This is perhaps the other side of that argument that just because he's known, or unknown, dosent mean its gonna work out.

Mikey
24-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Our manager clearly does.

Maybe it's another one of Rod's signings :wink:

jonny
24-01-2011, 08:33 AM
:greengrin Not a dig at the reported target, but CC see's something in Rankin, Nish & Smith, that's why he plays them!

True enough....

To an extent I can understand the inclusions of Rankin and Nish - basically because we have very little options in their positions. On the other hand I have no idea what the man is thinking when he picks Smith, once is fair enough, he wants to see him in a competitive match but after his clangers against Ayr, particularly the moment when the ball was slowly bouncing towards him to catch and he managed to chest it out for a corner, it is beyond me why he'd select him again - surely after his mistakes in the Well game he'll be dropped for good.

Despite what he's saying in interviews, he's obviously not happy with the performances and thats why he keeps changing the team.

Im still onside with him at the moment and think he'll keep us up, which all things considered would be a success this season.

I still think that the rumour is not true - Hibs tend to conduct all transfer business very quietly (the Rooney thing was made public by ICT) and Id be surprised to learn that Hibs Mad had insider information that no-one else does.

bingo70
24-01-2011, 08:50 AM

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-backs-Colin-Calderwood.6699997.jp?articlepage=3

They seem pretty sure he'll be signing for us.

Agree with the concerns about this guy TBH, i'm normally pretty positive about any new signings and convinced they'll be the next big thing but i'm strugglint to even find any straws i can clutch on to hear.

True enough....

To an extent I can understand the inclusions of Rankin and Nish - basically because we have very little options in their positions. On the other hand I have no idea what the man is thinking when he picks Smith, once is fair enough, he wants to see him in a competitive match but after his clangers against Ayr, particularly the moment when the ball was slowly bouncing towards him to catch and he managed to chest it out for a corner, it is beyond me why he'd select him again - surely after his mistakes in the Well game he'll be dropped for good.

Despite what he's saying in interviews, he's obviously not happy with the performances and thats why he keeps changing the team.

Im still onside with him at the moment and think he'll keep us up, which all things considered would be a success this season.

Agree with all of that.

I've been backing him and am sure he'll get it right next season as long as we stay up, however i'd be lying if i didn't admit the alarm bells are starting to ring with the lack of transfer activity and his decision to drop Brown for Smith.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-01-2011, 08:59 AM

On that criteria, we would never have touched Rob Jones then?

bingo70
24-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Rob Jones was player of the year at Grimsby before we signed him so the fact he was playing well attracted our interest.

This guy appears to be out the picture at Swindon after being rejected at aberdeen and only managing a handfull of appearances for Falkirk so i don't think there's any comparison to the Jones signing.

matty_f
24-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Rob Jones was player of the year at Grimsby before we signed him so the fact he was playing well attracted our interest.

This guy appears to be out the picture at Swindon after being rejected at aberdeen and only managing a handfull of appearances for Falkirk so i don't think there's any comparison to the Jones signing.

Did he not knock back aberdeen in favour of swindon?

bingo70
24-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Did he not knock back aberdeen in favour of swindon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Francois_Lescinel

not according to the ever reliable wikipedia

Mikey
24-01-2011, 09:10 AM
If he can clear a ball and has the right attitude he's just what we need right now.

Does the article say that he was rejected by Aberdeen? From reading that I got the impression that he chose Swindon instead of them!

Bamba was slated by many when he first arrived too :wink:

jonny
24-01-2011, 09:14 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-backs-Colin-Calderwood.6699997.jp?articlepage=3

They seem pretty sure he'll be signing for us.

I cant see anything about the Swindon bloke on your link mate. 1 Of the comments refers to us signing an injured player but I think that means Thornhill.

bingo70
24-01-2011, 09:15 AM
If he can clear a ball and has the right attitude he's just what we need right now.

Does the article say that he was rejected by Aberdeen? From reading that I got the impression that he chose Swindon instead of them!

I hope your right, i'm not going to go out my way to provide too much of an argument against him signing as i've obviously never seen the guy play and pressumably CC has but tbh my thougths are leaning more to being concerned than excited at the prospect of him coming in.

Had a quick peak at a Swindon town forum to see if there was any news, the general concensus was that they appeared to be disapointed to be losing a squad player although he wasnae that good but he did have a good attitude so who knows, he may be the next Jimmy Boco :greengrin

bingo70
24-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I cant see anything about the Swindon bloke on your link mate. 1 Of the comments refers to us signing an injured player but I think that means Thornhill.

Calderwood is believed to be considering a move for Swindon Town defender Lecsinel Jean-Francois. Only Aberdeen had conceded more goals than Hibs before Saturday's matches and Calderwood is ready to make the 6ft 2 in Haiti international one of several new signings in the next eight days.

Jean-Francois can play at left-back or in the heart of the defence. He made ten appearances for Falkirk in 2006-07 before leaving to join French club Guingamp. He also played in a trial for Aberdeen against Brechin City in 2008 but opted to join Swindon instead

page one :wink:

in fairness i did miss the bit about him opting for swindon instead of aberdeen and not failing to win a deal like it says in his wiki page so hopefully thats the correct version.

HFC 0-7
24-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Yip!!

We are fighting relegation here, not trying to split the old firm. CC has probably had to lower his expectations on the signing front to people that can do the simple things easily and help us out of relegation. This guy, if true, should be coming to hibs busting a gut if he has not been getting a game elsewhere. At least he seems to have experience playing in the position, something we dont really have at ER as the players that play in that position change every other week.

jonny
24-01-2011, 09:20 AM

It would appear not bud
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Francois_Lescinel

Trialled with the Dons 6 months before he signed with Swindon.

We'll wait and see if anything happens with him, if it does then I'm sure he'll get a fair(ish) chance to prove himself.

Mikey
24-01-2011, 09:21 AM
but he did have a good attitude

That's a lot of what we need right now.

bingo70
24-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Yip!!

We are fighting relegation here, not trying to split the old firm. CC has probably had to lower his expectations on the signing front to people that can do the simple things easily and help us out of relegation. This guy, if true, should be coming to hibs busting a gut if he has not been getting a game elsewhere. At least he seems to have experience playing in the position, something we dont really have at ER as the players that play in that position change every other week.

We shouldn't be signing players on that basis as thats not where we're wanting to be longer term, if he's only good for a relegation battle and no better than that then thats the ultimate panic signing and a waste of a wage.

truehibernian
24-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I think we need to look beyond the football snobbery and be realistic. Hibernian are in the midst of a relegation battle. Swindon, whether we like it or not, are probably on a footballing par at present.

The player fits a profile of what we are after in building a squad. Tall, appears athletic, still young but has a full season under his belt with a side who I think reached the play-off's ??

I also liked the fact that Swindon fans seem to love the guy due to his commitment and attitude.

We all appear to write off players before they even kick a ball for our club........we are a strange bunch sometimes.

I do worry however that we are not looking at real experience, even short term, to drive us out the situation we are in.

Velma Dinkley
24-01-2011, 09:23 AM
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/748980/?UserKey=0
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/7529189.stm

Hibbyradge
24-01-2011, 09:24 AM
he did have a good attitude

He'll not fit in.

Mikey
24-01-2011, 09:26 AM
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/748980/?UserKey=0
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/7529189.stm

I didn't realise it was two and a half years ago. A lot could have changed in that time.

Beefster
24-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Jones was one of Grimsby's top players and they were gutted to lose him after they failed to win promotion IIRC.

Spike Mandela
24-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I think we need to look beyond the football snobbery and be realistic. Hibernian are in the midst of a relegation battle. Swindon, whether we like it or not, are probably on a footballing par at present.

The player fits a profile of what we are after in building a squad. Tall, appears athletic, still young but has a full season under his belt with a side who I think reached the play-off's ??

I also liked the fact that Swindon fans seem to love the guy due to his commitment and attitude.

We all appear to write off players before they even kick a ball for our club........we are a strange bunch sometimes.
I do worry however that we are not looking at real experience, even short term, to drive us out the situation we are in.

Considering our current position and lack of quality in the squad it would appear people were right to write off previous acquisitions.

On the face of it most sensible people would suggest that this is not a signing that is likely to instill a confidence in the support that quality is going to improve and relegation be avoided.

Wilson
24-01-2011, 09:41 AM
We shouldn't be signing players on that basis as thats not where we're wanting to be longer term, if he's only good for a relegation battle and no better than that then thats the ultimate panic signing and a waste of a wage.

Well that was only a poster's take on it and not Calderwood's. I imagine Calderwood will be simply looking for players that are an improvement on what we have. If we do that enough across the squad then relegation wont be an issue. Couple that with a summer exodus and we'd be in a good place to kick on from for next season.

HFC 0-7
24-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Its clear though that CC primary targets have not been able to sign for whatever reason. He is now at the time where he either gets a player in that can stop relegation and become a squad player when better players come in, or keeps trying to get a quality player that may not happen in which case we will have no signings a team headed for division 1. Relegation just isnt an option, as we have 16 players out of contract at the end of the season he can afford to be buying squad players now and play them to avoid relegation.

Would you rather he keeps trying to get quality in only for the deal not to happen and then have this squad of players to try and get us out of relegation? I think if he sees a player that is better than we have then sign them.

truehibernian
24-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Considering our current position and lack of quality in the squad it would appear people were right to write off previous acquisitions.

On the face of it most sensible people would suggest that this is not a signing that is likely to instill a confidence in the support that quality is going to improve and relegation be avoided.

True, but looking at his first signing (Thornhill) and the general agreement amongst Forest fans that they are surprised, shocked and disappointed to lose him, then it gives me a good feeling about things on the signing front.

I know messageboards are sometimes not the best place to get a good resume on a player, but they were all pretty perplexed as to why Forest would let him go.

Compare that to the Falkirk forums about Cregg and McBride, and also Dutch forums about Dickoh..........Swindon fans seem to rate and like this boy so given they watch him week in week out, it's not a bad place to start rating him.

I get what you are saying though..........I still want a couple of real seasoned pro's, but they are hard to come by at this time of year.

Spike Mandela
24-01-2011, 09:52 AM
True, but looking at his first signing (Thornhill) and the general agreement amongst Forest fans that they are surprised, shocked and disappointed to lose him, then it gives me a good feeling about things on the signing front.

I know messageboards are sometimes not the best place to get a good resume on a player, but they were all pretty perplexed as to why Forest would let him go.

Compare that to the Falkirk forums about Cregg and McBride, and also Dutch forums about Dickoh..........Swindon fans seem to rate and like this boy so given they watch him week in week out, it's not a bad place to start rating him.

I get what you are saying though..........I still want a couple of real seasoned pro's, but they are hard to come by at this time of year.

I understand what you are saying but also recall Newcastle forums being surprised at them releasing AOB to come to Hibs. Coincidentally he is now at Swindon, hmmmm:confused::wink:

truehibernian
24-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I understand what you are saying but also recall Newcastle forums being surprised at them releasing AOB to come to Hibs. Coincidentally he is now at Swindon, hmmmm:confused::wink:

Real tin hat on time here but I think with the right manager and crucially (all important word) confidence, AOB could have been a better player at Hibs.

You know when sometimes you can pinpoint a game or a moment where a career comes to an end or at least a players confidence comes to a crashing halt ? I think the Gretna home game, where we eventually won 4-2 was a defining moment in Alan's Hibs career and how the fans took to him.

I think it was just a minute in and his pace, which was frightening, took him past a Gretna player easily......he then conspired to roll a shot past the post when it was easier to score. Had that gone in, on his debut, I think he would have flourished. He then got a niggly injury and he was not the most hardy of footballers in the tackle shall we say. The minute the fans were on his back it was his downfall. Towards the end of his short stay he was committed and certainly worked hard. I just think with a goal or two it would have been oh so different. A definite player who can only really perform when confident......so thus over the course of a season it makes him a liability.

Spike Mandela
24-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Real tin hat on time here but I think with the right manager and crucially (all important word) confidence, AOB could have been a better player at Hibs.

You know when sometimes you can pinpoint a game or a moment where a career comes to an end or at least a players confidence comes to a crashing halt ? I think the Gretna home game, where we eventually won 4-2 was a defining moment in Alan's Hibs career and how the fans took to him.

I think it was just a minute in and his pace, which was frightening, took him past a Gretna player easily......he then conspired to roll a shot past the post when it was easier to score. Had that gone in, on his debut, I think he would have flourished. He then got a niggly injury and he was not the most hardy of footballers in the tackle shall we say. The minute the fans were on his back it was his downfall. Towards the end of his short stay he was committed and certainly worked hard. I just think with a goal or two it would have been oh so different. A definite player who can only really perform when confident......so thus over the course of a season it makes him a liability.

Oh dear, never mind tin hat you'll need a suit of armour.:devil:

Revisionism is a wonderful thing:wink:

truehibernian
24-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh dear, never mind tin hat you'll need a suit of armour.:devil:

Revisionism is a wonderful thing:wink:

I still recall going tonto bonkers at him when I thought he had taken a far too heavy touch round Boruc in the 2-0 squiggler game............called all the names under the son one second, then hero worship the next :greengrin

J-C
24-01-2011, 10:17 AM
IIRC we all thought Bamba's signing was a decent one at the time, he came from Dunfermline......now I'd say Swindon in the grand sceme of things are a far bigger club than them. English Div 1 is a good division, put it this way, we'd struggle to beat the top half dozen clubs there right now.

Beefster
24-01-2011, 10:28 AM
IIRC we all thought Bamba's signing was a decent one at the time, he came from Dunfermline......now I'd say Swindon in the grand sceme of things are a far bigger club than them. English Div 1 is a good division, put it this way, we'd struggle to beat the top half dozen clubs there right now.

Bamba was an Ivory Coast internationalist and stand-out in the Dunfermline team. I'm not arguing that Swindon are a bigger club but it's not similar circumstances.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-01-2011, 10:46 AM

What about Paul Fenwick then?

J-C
24-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Bamba was an Ivory Coast internationalist and stand-out in the Dunfermline team. I'm not arguing that Swindon are a bigger club but it's not similar circumstances.

TBH I don't think Bamba was quite an Ivory Coast regular when at Dunfermline, his profile changed when he came to ER, earning all his 18 caps while playing here and it wasn't hard to be a stand out at Dunfermline was it?

Iain G
24-01-2011, 10:49 AM
he did have a good attitude

That, at the moment, is probably a good enough reason to sign him then :agree:

jonny
24-01-2011, 10:52 AM
A little off topic but Im wondering why this thread hasn't been branded with the "Greggs" tag.
There is nothing official about our interest in this guy and the only source is the HibsMad web site.

Swindonfan
24-01-2011, 04:54 PM
On our local BBC radio wiltshire at dinner time, they said that Killie maybe getting our third choice left back Callum Kennedy on loan and Hibs were after our defender Lescinel Jean-Francois. Dont know if this is for certain but it is from our local bbc and not any funny website.

Lecsinel did play for falkirk before he came to us. Has played in central defense and at left back. Is out of contract in the summer. He is capable of playing to a very high level. Looks strong, got a bit of pace, good in the air. Can over play at times but not bad on the ground.

HOWERVER he makes mistakes and alot of them. As i like hibs id say dont do it. Even thou we are desperate for defenders as at present we are looking to replace the whole back line it seems. Dont know if anything been said up your way. As said was on local bbc radio so maybe something in it. Hope things turn around for you asap.

wazoo1875
24-01-2011, 05:01 PM
On our local BBC radio wiltshire at dinner time, they said that Killie maybe getting our third choice left back Callum Kennedy on loan and Hibs were after our defender Lescinel Jean-Francois. Dont know if this is for certain but it is from our local bbc and not any funny website.

Lecsinel did play for falkirk before he came to us. Has played in central defense and at left back. Is out of contract in the summer. He is capable of playing to a very high level. Looks strong, got a bit of pace, good in the air. Can over play at times but not bad on the ground.

HOWERVER he makes mistakes and alot of them. As i like hibs id say dont do it. Even thou we are desperate for defenders as at present we are looking to replace the whole back line it seems. Dont know if anything been said up your way. As said was on local bbc radio so maybe something in it. Hope things turn around for you asap.

Thanks for the info, sounds a bit like Sol Bamba, looked like a world beater one minute and then a bit of a bombscare the next. Like the fact that you say he's strong, pacey and good in the air though :cool2:

jonny
24-01-2011, 05:05 PM

It's a rumour thats been thrown around on here already today. Seems like there might be something in it after all. Is he playing regularly for Swindon? Not sure if this lad will be the answer or not but we need to try something. Big and strong is a good start

Swindonfan
24-01-2011, 05:14 PM
It's a rumour thats been thrown around on here already today. Seems like there might be something in it after all. Is he playing regularly for Swindon? Not sure if this lad will be the answer or not but we need to try something. Big and strong is a good start

Hes a good guy , popular as a person. Hes Hatian and lost his 11 year old sister in the disater there. He didnt tell anyone but manager and chairman and kept playing. He did really well last year. This year hes had injuries but he played on saturday in our loss at bristol rovers.

Hes about to become a dad, so if Hibs are offering a 2 year deal maybe he will see that as some security. Last year we had Gordon Greer ex killie who was the been there done it guy who organised our defence. Now we have all young ones and there is no organisation at all so we doing rubbish. Lexy isnt rubbish by any means. BUT he does make mistakes.

greenlex
24-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Hes a good guy , popular as a person. Hes Hatian and lost his 11 year old sister in the disater there. He didnt tell anyone but manager and chairman and kept playing. He did really well last year. This year hes had injuries but he played on saturday in our loss at bristol rovers.

Hes about to become a dad, so if Hibs are offering a 2 year deal maybe he will see that as some security. Last year we had Gordon Greer ex killie who was the been there done it guy who organised our defence. Now we have all young ones and there is no organisation at all so we doing rubbish. Lexy isnt rubbish by any means. BUT he does make mistakes.
He would be crucified by hibs fans. We are not very forgiving.

Hibs90
24-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Sounds like we are preparing for Division 1 with all the players being mentioned.

Thornhill who's hardly kicked a ball for Forrest, This dude who is rather gash and a Ross County sub.

Inspiring stuff Calderwood and Petrie.

HibsMax
24-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I give up. You tell us?

You're right, it's just our job to complain about:
1. the lack of signings,
2. the quality of the signings,
3. the lack of noise from the club re: signings.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to question someone's decision making then you should at least be able to suggest a viable alternative. It's all too easy to sit behind a keyboard and say, "Not good enough, not good enough" on repeat.

Let's wait and see if the players being brought in ARE good enough. Who cares where they came from, they might actually be able to do a job at Hibs.

HibsMax
24-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds like we are preparing for Division 1 with all the players being mentioned.

Thornhill who's hardly kicked a ball for Forrest, This dude who is rather gash and a Ross County sub.

It's all well and good berating Hibs for their performances but shouldn't we really wait and see how good these signings turn out before getting too down?

For the most part I think the complaints are deserved but unless anyone out there has a crystal ball then I think we kinda have to wait and judge the players on their performances as opposed to their origins.

Swindonfan
24-01-2011, 05:26 PM
He would be crucified by hibs fans. We are not very forgiving.

Yeah, i was at game v Aberdeen after Caldwell had signed his pre contract at celtic. He got it in the neck all game. Thou was fair enough.

When Calderwood was at Newcastle he came to watch swindon a few times last year looking at Charlie Austin no doubt. He would have seen a few games at our level. Im gobsmacked he wasnt ready with a list as long as your arm on Jan 1st.

Im surprised he isnt in for Kevin Amankwa at swindon, a right back who was maybe the best right back in the league until about march when he got injured. Hes out of contract in summer and we are playing Paul Caddis so hes probably available. If you could get him performing like he was last year hes miles better than Hart.

Is the suggestion of league restrucuring a hinderance on hibs getting players in ? They must be crazy looking to make league 10 teams.

HibsMax
24-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Im gobsmacked he wasnt ready with a list as long as your arm on Jan 1st.
You know that he didn't have a list as long as his arm?

Im surprised he isnt in for Kevin Amankwa at swindon, a right back who was maybe the best right back in the league until about march when he got injured. Hes out of contract in summer and we are playing Paul Caddis so hes probably available. If you could get him performing like he was last year hes miles better than Hart.
"surprised he isnt in for Kevin Amankwa" (are you sure he hasn't made inquiries?)
"maybe the best right back"
"probably available"
"If you could get him performing..."

That's a LOT of uncertainty. I'm not saying you are wrong about the guy but if Colin and his staff are expected to look at injured guys who might be good and might be available then the list would be a long one indeed. And we don't even know if an approach has been made. Or do we?

greenlex
24-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, i was at game v Aberdeen after Caldwell had signed his pre contract at celtic. He got it in the neck all game. Thou was fair enough.

When Calderwood was at Newcastle he came to watch swindon a few times last year looking at Charlie Austin no doubt. He would have seen a few games at our level. Im gobsmacked he wasnt ready with a list as long as your arm on Jan 1st.

Is the suggestion of league restrucuring a hinderance on hibs getting players in ? They must be crazy looking to make league 10 teams.
The problem getting players in is three fold. We dont pay decent enough wages. The SPL is perceived (probably rightly) as poor. Hibs are near the bottom of that piss poor leauge.
10 teams is a joke. There are few fans wanting it but the moneymen at clubs seem to think its a good idea. We were there before and it was awful never mind the relegation issues.

Swindonfan
24-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Local radio just had swindon manager Danny Wilson asked about Lexy to hibs and he said he didnt know anything about that and there had been no bids.

JimBHibees
24-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Dont think Scott is a sub he has played most games for Ross County AFAIK is 24 and clearly has ability having bossed the midfield twice against Hibs last season and ran the show v Celtic also. Sounds like the sort of player we should be signing.

HibsMax
24-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Local radio just had swindon manager Danny Wilson asked about Lexy to hibs and he said he didnt know anything about that and there had been no bids.

So he'll be starting on Wednesday night then. :)

hibbill2002
24-01-2011, 05:57 PM

LTYF:rolleyes:

Hibs90
24-01-2011, 06:02 PM
LTYF:rolleyes:

:greengrin

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 06:08 PM
1. the lack of signings,

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to question someone's decision making then you should at least be able to suggest a viable alternative. It's all too easy to sit behind a keyboard and say, "Not good enough, not good enough" on repeat.

Let's wait and see if the players being brought in ARE good enough. Who cares where they came from, they might actually be able to do a job at Hibs.

Well said that man.

Some people are of the opinion we can pick and choose who we sign and that big fees guarantee success. We cant and it dosent (I am told Joe Harper anyone who remembers).

We used to be a reasonably big fish in a smallish pond. Our pond has shrunk and so have we.

KiddA
24-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Yet another ex Falkirk player :bitchy: :duck:

:wink:

Spike Mandela
24-01-2011, 06:47 PM
So he'll be starting on Wednesday night then. :)

Not a target according to this.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9372385.stm

sesoim
24-01-2011, 09:16 PM
It's all well and good berating Hibs for their performances but shouldn't we really wait and see how good these signings turn out before getting too down?

For the most part I think the complaints are deserved but unless anyone out there has a crystal ball then I think we kinda have to wait and judge the players on their performances as opposed to their origins.

:agree: On this occasion I totally agree. If it was the summer and we had time to line up the "perfect" signings, then I would be concerned. But we are severely up s*** creek here. I remember Alex McLeish signings loads of players when we were on our way down, and actually in, the First Division. Some worked, some didn't. We are in the same position now where I'd rather we signed 6 or 7 players and half of them were successes, than hum and haw and barely get anyone in.

If we don't make changes, I think we all know we WILL go down. Risks have to be taken, I doubt many signings could actually make us worse.

Cropley10
24-01-2011, 10:20 PM
1. the lack of signings,

Very good - equally I think sitting at a keyboard typing 'well who would you sign' is a pretty poor argument.

If I give you an alternative - you and the falcon will come up with lots of reasons why we couldn't possibly sign that player.

I've always given every player every chance but I'm getting really weary at watching these 85 players who've been through this Club in the past 5 years. We've said "who cares where they came from, they might actually be able to do a job at Hibs" but in reality they haven't.

But hey you live in the US - so don't have to put up with it first hand I guess.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Very good - equally I think sitting at a keyboard typing 'well who would you sign' is a pretty poor argument.

If I give you an alternative - you and the falcon will come up with lots of reasons why we couldn't possibly sign that player.

I've always given every player every chance but I'm getting really weary at watching these 85 players who've been through this Club in the past 5 years. We've said "who cares where they came from, they might actually be able to do a job at Hibs" but in reality they haven't.

But hey you live in the US - so don't have to put up with it first hand I guess.

I think one of the posters researched the players that had went to all SPL clubs and we were pretty average in the amount of players we have used. McLeish once had 83 players on the books at once so what does that prove?

Its very easy to sit and criticise players as not being what you want but football is all about opinions and some,not all, of the Forest and County guys rate these players . If you stopped trying to beat Petrie at every opportunity perhaps people would listen more to you and Smurf because occasionaly your points are reasoned and, at times, pertinent and worthy of discussion.

But we are now doing what you guys suggested we wouldnt, that is get in some players, and now we are doing that you have stopped complaining that we havent signed anybody and now you are complaining that the players we are signing are not good enough.

Yet, as already said, you offer no alternative.

Cropley10
24-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I think one of the posters researched the players that had went to all SPL clubs and we were pretty average in the amount of players we have used. McLeish once had 83 players on the books at once so what does that prove?

Its very easy to sit and criticise players as not being what you want but football is all about opinions and some,not all, of the Forest and County guys rate these players . If you stopped trying to beat Petrie at every opportunity perhaps people would listen more to you and Smurf because occasionaly your points are reasoned and, at times, pertinent and worthy of discussion.

But we are now doing what you guys suggested we wouldnt, that is get in some players, and now we are doing that you have stopped complaining that we havent signed anybody and now you are complaining that the players we are signing are not good enough.

Yet, as already said, you offer no alternative.

REMOVED

Lets see where we end up at the end of the Season. This signing policy has been going on for years and it hasn't worked. QED.

GloryGlory
25-01-2011, 07:59 AM
:agree: On this occasion I totally agree. If it was the summer and we had time to line up the "perfect" signings, then I would be concerned. But we are severely up s*** creek here. I remember Alex McLeish signings loads of players when we were on our way down, and actually in, the First Division. Some worked, some didn't. We are in the same position now where I'd rather we signed 6 or 7 players and half of them were successes, than hum and haw and barely get anyone in.

If we don't make changes, I think we all know we WILL go down. Risks have to be taken, I doubt many signings could actually make us worse.

Guggi, Marinkov and Holsgrove come to mind as some of the dross that McLeish signed.

The Falcon
25-01-2011, 08:50 AM
REMOVED

Lets see where we end up at the end of the Season. This signing policy has been going on for years and it hasn't worked. QED.

Aaawwww thats a pity :boo hoo:

Cropley10
25-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Aaawwww thats a pity :boo hoo:

Patronising troll :troll:

SlickShoes
25-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Guggi, Marinkov and Holsgrove come to mind as some of the dross that McLeish signed.

Marinkov was signed along with sauzee really only as a translator as Franck didnt speak any english at the time.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Marinkov was signed along with sauzee really only as a translator as Franck didnt speak any english at the time.

I don't believe this, most Europeans speak some English, and when i spoke to him he spoke very good English, certainly far too good, that he'd just learnt it since arriving in Scotland.:confused:

Peevemor
25-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't believe this, most Europeans speak some English, and when i spoke to him he spoke very good English, certainly far too good, that he'd just learnt it since arriving in Scotland.:confused:

Also, he made his debut the same day as Franck - away to Falkirk.

I doubt GJP would have played a translator in one the of the biggest matches of the season.

The Falcon
25-01-2011, 11:18 AM

I'm hurt and wounded by that :faf:

HNA7
25-01-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm hurt and wounded by that :faf:

You pair have been asked to give it a rest so it's time for a couple of days break for you both.

See you on Thursday.

aberhibsfc
25-01-2011, 11:39 AM

I accept the Guggi and Holsgrove, but disagree with Marinkov. I thought he looked a decent player who unfortunately was having some personal issues which saw him leave the club sooner than I would have liked.

1two
25-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Remember that peach of a goal guggi scored?

I can't remember what else he done mind you!

JimBHibees
25-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Remember that peach of a goal guggi scored?

I can't remember what else he done mind you!

Can remember a classic News of the Screws headline along the lines of, 'Guggi made me go Ga Ga'. :faf:

Kaiser1962
25-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Thats what I was told by a guy at Scarborough, who was a mate of Marinkov. And not on the beach either!

Same guy told me later that Franck signed Lilian Martin (sp?) to "sort out" the dressing room ructions at the time. Martin wasnt a great footballer but apparently indestructible in a fight and Franck's mate.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Thats what I was told by a guy at Scarborough, who was a mate of Marinkov. And not on the beach either!

Same guy told me later that Franck signed Lilian Martin (sp?) to "sort out" the dressing room ructions at the time. Martin wasnt a great footballer but apparently indestructible in a fight and Franck's mate.

He certainly didn't do much on the park for us in his one and only appearance. Had played at a good level though.

Walter
25-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I liked Marinkov, I remember watching him win every header in a match (at least close to every header). Thought he was a right good commander. And I liked Guggi too, thought he was a bit silky!

I was 13 at the time though.

Just looked Guggi up, apparently he played in the 1996 Uefa Cup Winners Cup final!

Stevie Reid
25-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I liked Marinkov, I remember watching him win every header in a match (at least close to every header). Thought he was a right good commander. And I liked Guggi too, thought he was a bit silky!

I was 13 at the time though.

Just looked Guggi up, apparently he played in the 1996 Uefa Cup Winners Cup final!

Yep, was well documented at the time. Just shows you the lengths and expense that Hibs were prepared to go to to make sure that we got in the new SPL at the first time of asking due to the crazy money that was on offer there.

HibsMax
26-01-2011, 03:50 PM
An argument that I have never used. I've not actually complained about any of our signings and I never do before we get a chance to see them in action at Hibs.

I've never given any reasons why we couldn't possibly sign any player, never mind lots of reasons. I have given possible suggestions as to why we might not be attracting the kind of players we would all like to see here.

Good point, it really adds weight to your argument. :aok: Since you're closer to ER this must hurt you a lot more than me.....

Cropley10
26-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Good point, it really adds weight to your argument. :aok: Since you're closer to ER this must hurt you a lot more than me.....

Aye it does Max.

You see I've got a hard choice to make - do I renew 2 season tickets so I can watch SFL football next season or not? Cos if I don't - my team will be worse off. But then again I really, really don't want to go and watch Div 1 football, at all.

I was there again tonight Max and do you know what - there's an absolutely enormous job to do - because we are utterly, utterly awful.

So spare me the lectures and spare me the cunning logic and accept that we're in a mess and the Club is at fault. We have crap players for a reason. There's no point pretending that certain people are blameless - or because I can't come up with a better suggestion or a better player I don't have a valid point.

Oh and one other thing, I wrote

"I've always given every player every chance but I'm getting really weary at watching these ... players who've been through this Club in the past 5 years. We've said "who cares where they came from, they might actually be able to do a job at Hibs" but in reality they haven't."

I noticed you didn't reply to that part - which was a bit selective of you.