PDA

View Full Version : If Newcastle were in the SPL where would they come?

Francis_Begbie
23-01-2011, 09:07 PM
If Newcastle were in the SPL where would they come? I'm biased but I think we'd win it with our current side. I had a row with a Rangers fan in the pub last night and he was saying we'd be third at best based on the fact they beat our reserves 2-1 in a friendly, so who's talkin pish me or him, and if the North East teams came in to the SPL would you welcome them?

Speedy
23-01-2011, 09:14 PM
If Newcastle were in the SPL where would they come? I'm biased but I think we'd win it with our current side. I had a row with a Rangers fan in the pub last night and he was saying we'd be third at best based on the fact they beat our reserves 2-1 in a friendly, so who's talkin pish me or him, and if the North East teams came in to the SPL would you welcome them?

They'd be challenging for the title. I don't think they are good enough to say they'd definitely win it. Same applies for Sunderland.

No I wouldn't welcome them. Mainly because Sunderland are my second team and I wouldn't like to see them compete directly with Hibs. I can't imagine why they'd ever want to join our 'sweaty jock pub league' anyway.

SMAXXA
23-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Mate given our current situation and more pressing issues I personally couldnt give a flying you know what where Newcastle would come in the SPL. Incedently I think they would come behind Sunderland if they were in the league :wink:

bod
23-01-2011, 09:33 PM
If Newcastle were in the SPL where would they come?

from the south

iwasthere1972
23-01-2011, 09:51 PM
They would obviously come way high man.

LancashireHibby
23-01-2011, 10:18 PM
They'd win it with their current side, no problem.

djs69
23-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Sunderland would finish second behind them!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Never engage Old Firm mongs in debates about football. No good will come from it :tsk tsk:

Winston Ingram
24-01-2011, 07:05 AM
They'd finish 2nd if Sunderland were in it

LancsHibs
24-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Top, with ease! (probably)

pacorosssco
24-01-2011, 07:33 AM

newcastle and sunderland would easily win spl.

compare wage bills, compare players. is there any celtic or rangers players that would get in teams at newcastle/ sunderland. mcgregor at newcastle is about it

celtic and rangers bottom championship team. look at middlesboro thats a mix of the two

would we welcome newcastle sunderland? dont see why theyd be remotely interested

Billy Whizz
24-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Newcastle are gash. Apart from the Top 6 or so team in the Premiership, the others are pretty poor.
I think they only have about 3/4 decent players.

Hibby Bairn
24-01-2011, 07:49 AM
This is the same league where Charlie Adam is now one of the hottest properties, where Gary Caldwell is captain of his side and where our own Sol Bamba will be plying his trade within 12 months (imo)? 3rd behind OF.

PeeJay
24-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Symptomatic of a misguided English belief that they are inherently better at all things to do with football than, e.g. the Scottish. You may not have noticed, but Hibs are currently struggling in a relegation battle and this despite the fact that we "stuffed" :wink: Blackpool on their own patch at the start of the season - you couldn't even beat our second team (which is NOT VERY GOOD EITHER) - on your own training ground a couple of weeks back :cool2: and we have second division teams up here that can stuff our top performers just like that! Granted the part timers such as those at Ayr might not always beat you, but the SPL would not let you just turn up and walk away with it ... Rangers fans comments are generally implausible anyway, you have no case ... unless it's one full of thet horrible Brown Ale stuff :na na: ?

jonny
24-01-2011, 08:00 AM
With their current squad they'd probably win the league.
After a couple of seasons with the massively reduced revenue they'd be forced to sell off their most highly paid players and whilst would still be one of the biggest clubs and would compete with Rangers and Celtic they'd by no means be the biggest fish in our small pond.

HH81
24-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Although he is a bit of a clown, Barton could walk in the spl and be the best player by a mile.

Phil MaGlass
24-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Northampton could win our league

Hainan Hibs
24-01-2011, 10:54 AM
3rd or 2nd, the Old Firm would pull out all the stops to buy the league.

However, a comparison can't really be made with the gulf in money between the two leagues.

Put Hibs in the Premiership with the SKY money etc and I think we'd be staying in the league at least.

I do feel too many people buy into the SKY hype over English football. A league where the crab and Gary Caldwell get regular games is not something to get the knob out and have a fiddle over.

steakbake
24-01-2011, 10:54 AM
They'd be challenging for the title. I don't think they are good enough to say they'd definitely win it. Same applies for Sunderland.

No I wouldn't welcome them. Mainly because Sunderland are my second team and I wouldn't like to see them compete directly with Hibs. I can't imagine why they'd ever want to join our 'sweaty jock pub league' anyway.

Yeah, in a good year possibly 2nd or run close for 1st. In an average year, they'd be best of the rest but probably faring better than 3rd place normally does - they'd run 2nd place close.

Jack
24-01-2011, 11:38 AM
If they were in the SPL with the loss of cash they would be in administration within days and nothing but a memory well before the season ended.

There's two shovels, take your pick?

3pm
24-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I was at the game on Saturday. It wasn't great and neither were Newcastle.

RoxburghHibs
24-01-2011, 11:50 AM
If Newcastle were in the SPL they would have to release the majority of their current squad as they wouldn't be able to afford them.

So I'd say probably top 6

mr mojo risin
24-01-2011, 12:18 PM
They would win it easy. The EPL is miles ahead of SPL.

iwasthere1972
24-01-2011, 02:32 PM
They would win it easy. The EPL is miles ahead of SPL.

Maybe so but they wouldn't be getting millions of pounds of Sky. They would be getting scraps like the rest of us in the SPL.

libernian
24-01-2011, 04:00 PM

compare wage bills, compare players. is there any celtic or rangers players that would get in teams at newcastle/ sunderland. mcgregor at newcastle is about it

celtic and rangers bottom championship team. look at middlesboro thats a mix of the two

would we welcome newcastle sunderland? dont see why theyd be remotely interested

nah mate i dont thinkso. look all those guys fae rangers gavin rae, chris burke, mcnaughton and others like charlie adam n that who i dont see getting a game for rangers.

plus, i think mcgregor is better than gordon

steakbake
24-01-2011, 04:04 PM
nah mate i dont thinkso. look all those guys fae rangers gavin rae, chris burke, mcnaughton and others like charlie adam n that who i dont see getting a game for rangers.

plus, i think mcgregor is better than gordon

I reckon they'd be yo-yo teams like WBA. In a good year, they'd hold their own in the EPL. In a bad year, they'd be up and down.

Hibiza
24-01-2011, 04:05 PM
win it by at least 6 points

wazoo1875
24-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Sorry bud, but this is a stupid post(no offence), if Newcastle and Sunderland were in our league they would have the same pish TV money as the rest of us and would therefore not have the same players in their current teams.
Also to suggest that the old firm would be bottom of the championship is IMO garbage if they played down there and had the same resources as the rest they would be up challenging eventually.
Like it or not both Rangers and Celtic are massive clubs.

Hibs90
24-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Newcastle would finish 3rd and possible challenge for 2nd IMO. All this talk saying they would walk it is nonsense.

pacorosssco
24-01-2011, 04:23 PM
]Sorry bud, but this is a stupid post(no offence), if Newcastle and Sunderland were in our league they would have the same pish TV money as the rest of us and would therefore not have the same players in their current teams.
Also to suggest that the old firm would be bottom of the championship is IMO garbage if they played down there and had the same resources as the rest they would be up challenging eventually.
Like it or not both Rangers and Celtic are massive clubs.[/QUOTE]

No offence taken

I compare the current teams at this moment in time. I would still say Sunderland and Newcastle are miles better than rantic right now and with their current squads would walk our league.

If we are going to factor in change in revenue then celtic and rangers are similar to newcastle and sunderland in that they would probably attract same type of player. If they came up here and had share of revenue theyd still be as big as rantic and if rantic went down there they could go for players the calibre of newcastle sunderland with an increased budget but wouldnt break in to Mutd Man City Arsenal Tottenham Chelsea Liverpool status for a long long time if ever.

Both the current Celtic and Rangers team would not get promoted from the championship.

Agree they are big clubs but look at them already. Losing fans in numbers and factor in not winning every week and not getting their own way it wouldnt be the bed of roses they think. Agree with the post of them being like West Brom.

Speedy
24-01-2011, 04:52 PM
No offence taken

I compare the current teams at this moment in time. I would still say Sunderland and Newcastle are miles better than rantic right now and with their current squads would walk our league.

If we are going to factor in change in revenue then celtic and rangers are similar to newcastle and sunderland in that they would probably attract same type of player. If they came up here and had share of revenue theyd still be as big as rantic and if rantic went down there they could go for players the calibre of newcastle sunderland with an increased budget but wouldnt break in to Mutd Man City Arsenal Tottenham Chelsea Liverpool status for a long long time if ever.

Both the current Celtic and Rangers team would not get promoted from the championship.

Agree they are big clubs but look at them already. Losing fans in numbers and factor in not winning every week and not getting their own way it wouldnt be the bed of roses they think. Agree with the post of them being like West Brom.

I think the English game is massively overrated. Celtic and Rangers would both be mid table in the English Premier League this year. I'd say they were around the level of Fulham/Bolton.

Their league is obviously far better than ours when comparing teams in similar positions but I don't think teams like Wigan, West Brom, Wolves, Blackpool etc. are any better than Rangers, Celtic and, on current form, Hearts.

joe breezy
24-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Not read the rest of the thread but the answer is first...easily

PeeJay
24-01-2011, 04:53 PM
]Sorry bud, but this is a stupid post(no offence), if Newcastle and Sunderland were in our league they would have the same pish TV money as the rest of us and would therefore not have the same players in their current teams.
Like it or not both Rangers and Celtic are massive clubs.

No offence taken

Agree they are big clubs but look at them already. Losing fans in numbers and factor in not winning every week and not getting their own way it wouldnt be the bed of roses they think. Agree with the post of them being like West Brom.[/QUOTE]

a) If the OF or Hibs were in the EPL they/we would have more money to buy better players - just as Newcastle currently does and therefore they/we would be able to compete

b) If Newcastle came to the SPL they would not have the money to keep their high-profile players and you would suffer from the same problems as other clubs up here

c) You cannot transplant Newcastle to the SPL with English TV revenue: the money would be greatly reduced in the SPL - to make the "concept" realistic you have to have equal playing fields for everyone: (SPL money or EPL money).

d) Seems to me you are comparing Newcastle with the OF - yet your trophy cabinet is not exactly overflowing is it?

e) BTW, I peronally believe that the EPL ONLY appears to be so magnificent because of all the foreign players in it: they are only there because of the money involved. If the Bundesliga had televison revenue equivalent to that in the EPL, German clubs would be in the finals of European competitions even more than currently is the case because we would be able to afford more of the "better" foreigners (although I wouldn't be expecting any Newcastle players to be involved here?).:greengrin

iwasthere1972
24-01-2011, 05:00 PM
If Newcastle were in the SPL where would they come?

Scotland.

Now where do I collect my prize?

pacorosssco
24-01-2011, 05:49 PM
a) If the OF or Hibs were in the EPL they/we would have more money to buy better players - just as Newcastle currently does and therefore they/we would be able to compete

- Newcastle would still get a full house and therefore have as much dosh as Rangers Celtic despite difference in tv money up here and would therefore still compete for league as they would have similar revenues and while I agree if Rantic moved south and had more revenue they would improve they would be no bigger than Newcastle and would be open to relegation . Wouldnt challenge for league for years if at all .

b) If Newcastle came to the SPL they would not have the money to keep their high-profile players and you would suffer from the same problems as other clubs up here

- agree but would still be a 45,000 supported club ensuring a title challenge. Chance to regularly win and collect silverware may see them become even better supported

c) You cannot transplant Newcastle to the SPL with English TV revenue: the money would be greatly reduced in the SPL - to make the "concept" realistic you have to have equal playing fields for everyone: (SPL money or EPL money).

- the question was would Newcastle win league up here. With their current squad . Yes they would as would Sunderland. Under equal playing fields I see them as similar maybe with Sunderland being the poor relation

d) Seems to me you are comparing Newcastle with the OF - yet your trophy cabinet is not exactly overflowing is it?

- Again a question was asked and I have given a response. I am not a Newcastle or Sunderland fan . Hibs cabinet is rarely overflowing sadly. . Rangers and Celtic only win league in current set up so comparison is fair as they are similarly supported clubs.

e) BTW, I peronally believe that the EPL ONLY appears to be so magnificent because of all the foreign players in it: they are only there because of the money involved. If the Bundesliga had televison revenue equivalent to that in the EPL, German clubs would be in the finals of European competitions even more than currently is the case because we would be able to afford more of the "better" foreigners (although I wouldn't be expecting any Newcastle players to be involved here?).:greengrin[/QUOTE]

- Without doubt Bundesliga is a better league to watch but they money is in England and many Newcastle and Sunderland players could get a club in Germany. How many SPL players could.

The_Todd
24-01-2011, 05:57 PM
If you mean Newcastles current squad then you'd walk the league.

If you meant it you had an SPL budget you'd turn it into a 3 horse title race.

Dashing Bob S
25-01-2011, 05:02 AM
If Spartans had the same resources as Real Madrid, would they be in SPL by now?

seanraff07
25-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Newcastle would win the league easy.. Nolan, Barton, Carroll... no other team in the SPL has players of that standard.:agree:

StevieC
25-01-2011, 11:54 AM
If Newcastle were in the SPL they would have to release the majority of their current squad as they wouldn't be able to afford them.

You'd actually find that they wouldn't need to cut much of the current squad, as the majority of the players will be on Championship wages following relegation. Big earners (Duff, Given, etc.) were emptied 2 seasons ago and many players had to take wage cuts when they went down. They were replaced with players like Williamson/Best/Harper/Simpson/Carrol who will have been on much lower wages.

Crowds are also up and with gate money close to £2m each home match they'd certainly have more money than the Old Firm to spend.

PeeJay
25-01-2011, 12:04 PM
You'd actually find that they wouldn't need to cut much of the current squad, as the majority of the players will be on Championship wages following relegation. Big earners (Duff, Given, etc.) were emptied 2 seasons ago and many players had to take wage cuts when they went down. They were replaced with players like Williamson/Best/Harper/Simpson/Carrol who will have been on much lower wages.

Crowds are also up and with gate money close to £2m each home match they'd certainly have more money than the Old Firm to spend.

The question was how they would do in the SPL - do you think they'g get big crowds for St. Johnstone, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Motherwell ...us even, I wonder? Surely they wouldn't be able to maintain the wage structure: their good players would "head south" - where the money is?

Steve20
25-01-2011, 12:10 PM
The Newcastle squad just now would win the SPL by a distance. The SPL is absolutely awful. You just have to see a team like Hearts are challenging for the title this season, FFS.

StevieC
27-01-2011, 10:49 AM
The question was how they would do in the SPL - do you think they'g get big crowds for St. Johnstone, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Motherwell ...us even, I wonder? Surely they wouldn't be able to maintain the wage structure: their good players would "head south" - where the money is?

They had 44,000 for a league game against Doncaster Rovers last season, I'd like to think Hibs, Hearts and even the likes of Kilmarnock and Motherwell could be viewed as better opposition than Doncaster Rovers.

I'm pretty sure they could maintain their wage structure but they might well struggle to attract the likes of Barton. However, they'd certainly be able to attract a better level of player than Celtic or Rangers can at the moment.