PDA

View Full Version : Why no red card?

Monts
23-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Deliberate handball in the box, with 2 hibs players at the back post.

How was that not preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity?? :confused:

matty_f
23-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Thought the same.:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
23-01-2011, 08:46 PM

Because it fell to Rankin :agree:

Monts
23-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Because it fell to Rankin :agree:

Just because it was a million to one, doesnt stop it being an opportunity :wink:

greenlex
23-01-2011, 08:49 PM
The only reason he wasn't red carded was the ref didn't think it was deliberate.

Monts
23-01-2011, 08:52 PM
The only reason he wasn't red carded was the ref didn't think it was deliberate.

Why does that matter?

If a player was brought down accidentily with a mistimed challenge it would still be red. Why is a mistimed leap different?

Same outcome.

Wotherspiniesta
23-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Then may I suggest that the official get his optical organs examined.

6 game touchline ban for me!

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Never a red in a million years.

If a Hibs player had been sent off fo that we would be going crazy

Monts
23-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Never a red in a million years.

If a Hibs player had been sent off fo that we would be going crazy

Really??

I dont think there could be any complaints if a hibs player handled the ball so the opposition couldnt have a free shot 6 yards out.

steviehibsleith
23-01-2011, 08:59 PM

I was under the impression the directive was " a foul denying a goalscoring opportunity "
not "a deliberate foul denying a goalscoring opportunity "

The Falcon
23-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Has anybody suggested that it might be a conspiracy?

:greengrin

The Falcon
23-01-2011, 09:01 PM

If its not deemed deliberate I dont think its a penalty?

Speedy
23-01-2011, 09:04 PM

:agree:

If the hand ball wasn't deliberate then it's not a foul.

steviehibsleith
23-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Hope we dont have any players who deliberately give away a penalty . Every one of the 50 I gave away were accidents :wink:

LancashireHibby
23-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I was under the impression the directive was " a foul denying a goalscoring opportunity "
not "a deliberate foul denying a goalscoring opportunity "

Handball and 'fouls' are treated differently AFAIK.

Speedy
23-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Handball and 'fouls' are treated differently AFAIK.

Page 37 of this document.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

Or search for "goalscoring".

Hibs07p
24-01-2011, 06:18 AM
If the ref had played advantage, and Rankin ballooned it over the bar, we would all have said the ref should have given a penalty. As far as I'm concerned, the ref gave us an advantage by awarding the penalty, we blew it! Never a red card in my opinion, but other refs would have given one, that is the inconsistencies that gets on everyone's thrupenny bits. Either that, or they are incompetent, talking of which, what is Charlie Richmond up to nowadays?

Titch
24-01-2011, 07:11 AM
If the ref had played advantage, and Rankin ballooned it over the bar, we would all have said the ref should have given a penalty. As far as I'm concerned, the ref gave us an advantage by awarding the penalty, we blew it! Never a red card in my opinion, but other refs would have given one, that is the inconsistencies that gets on everyone's thrupenny bits. Either that, or they are incompetent, talking of which, what is Charlie Richmond up to nowadays?

if he plays advantage and he balloons it over then surely he has to take it back for a pen.

Monts
24-01-2011, 07:15 AM
if he plays advantage and he balloons it over then surely he has to take it back for a pen.

Nope, if he plays advantage and we have a shot, we wouldnt then get another advantage ie another shot from the penalty spot.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Nope, if he plays advantage and we have a shot, we wouldnt then get another advantage ie another shot from the penalty spot.

Spurs and Nani anyone?

Keith_M
24-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Surely the question should be,

"Why cant any Hibs player put the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards out with only the goalie to beat?"

Wellfan1984
24-01-2011, 09:16 AM
If you think being body checked while going for a header by your own guy when it would have been called a foul in American Football delibrate then you need your eyes examined mate.

(not to mention it was because of the header by his own player that knocked it onto his hand)!

Penalty defo but an unlucky one on Saunders part as he could not do anything about it - so technically should it have been a penalty? :wink:

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2011, 10:24 AM
If you think being body checked while going for a header by your own guy when it would have been called a foul in American Football delibrate then you need your eyes examined mate.

(not to mention it was because of the header by his own player that knocked it onto his hand)!

Penalty defo but an unlucky one on Saunders part as he could not do anything about it - so technically should it have been a penalty? :wink:

I agree with you, and in fact if the ball had been deflected away from Rankin that may have been reason to give the penalty. As it was, it was handed :wink: to Rankin on a plate. Imo the game should have carried on, and even though we are not very good at the moment, he surely would have scored?

delbert
24-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Just to clarify folks, a penalty in that situation can be awarded even if the handball is not deemed to be deliberate, but the referee feels that the hand or arm is in an unnatural position, those are the 2 qualifiers for awarding a free kick when the ball strikes a hand or arm. If the referee believes neither of the 2 apply, play continues, simples

Speedy
24-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Just to clarify folks, a penalty in that situation can be awarded even if the handball is not deemed to be deliberate, but the referee feels that the hand or arm is in an unnatural position, those are the 2 qualifiers for awarding a free kick when the ball strikes a hand or arm. If the referee believes neither of the 2 apply, play continues, simples

Again taken from the laws of the game(see link page 34)

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2010_11_e.pdf

"A free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player...handles the ball deliberately(except the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)"

Edit: Just looking through the rules, here's one I hadn't heard of:

"if a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team's own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team". Same applies for an indirect free kick

Monts
25-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Again taken from the laws of the game(see link page 34)

"A free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player...handles the ball deliberately(except the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)"

Edit: Just looking through the rules, here's one I hadn't heard of:

"if a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team's own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team". Same applies for an indirect free kick

So there isnt any special case for handball instead of a foul?

Therefore it should be a red for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity...

Speedy
25-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Page 37 of this document.

Or search for "goalscoring".

So there isnt any special case for handball instead of a foul?

Therefore it should be a red for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity...

Aye. That was covered in the above post but I couldn't be bothered writing it out because it was a pdf. Here's a screen shot though:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs246.snc6/179422_1845087568561_1281796326_2186603_4347563_n. jpg