PDA

View Full Version : Ask not what your club can do for you - ask what you can do for your club

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 08:45 PM
To paraphrase Mr. John F. Kennedy...

In the long history of Hibernian, only a few have been granted the role of defending its existence in its hour of maximum danger. We do not shank from this responsibility - we welcome and embrace it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with the supporters of any other club for Hibernian defines us and is part of our very essence. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our club and all who wear its colours -- and the glow from that fire can truly light not only our lives, but that of future Hibernians in generations to come.

And so, my fellow Hibernians: ask not what your club can do for you - ask what you can do for your club.

So what's it to be then folks - are you going to turn your back on your club in its hour of need, and run it down at every opportunity? Or are you going to back it with everything that you've got because your life would that bit emptier without it?

We are in dark times, and it's decision time folks. :flag:

smurf
23-01-2011, 08:50 PM
The supporters have and will continue to do their bit.

It's time it was reciprocated.

matty_f

Way to kill a thread! :greengrin

The Harp

In the long history of Hibernian, only a few have been granted the role of defending its existence in its hour of maximum danger. We do not shank from this responsibility - we welcome and embrace it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with the supporters of any other club for Hibernian defines us and is part of our very essence. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our club and all who wear its colours -- and the glow from that fire can truly light not only our lives, but that of future Hibernians in generations to come.

And so, my fellow Hibernians: ask not what your club can do for you - ask what you can do for your club.

So what's it to be then folks - are you going to turn your back on your club in its hour of need, and run it down at every opportunity? Or are you going to back it with everything that you've got because your life would that bit emptier without it?

My God, my life must be in such a mess if I'm looking for it to be enriched by that lot.:wink:

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 08:52 PM

So you'll be in the 'running it down at every opportunity' camp then? I'm shocked. :wink:

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 08:55 PM
My God, my life must be in such a mess if I'm looking for it to be enriched by that lot.:wink:

:saltireflag

It has been known. :6: :2:

:wink:

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 08:58 PM

I like it :agree:

I know where Smurf is coming from (and I agree with many things he says) We as fans can argue all day about why things have gone wrong - has been happening over the last few months on here.

It's not easy - usually easier to support something you believe in.

But if we are to move on - the support and club have to pull together.

People at the club who are getting paid to do a job must start to do their part though :agree:

Alfred E Newman
23-01-2011, 08:58 PM

I`ve already backed it to the tune of 400 notes and other than getting the fitba bits looked oot I don`t know what else we can do:dunno:

Wheat Hound
23-01-2011, 09:04 PM
According to others, the singing and chanting has never been louder or more sustained than this season and yet the football has been probably the worst ever seen from a Hibs team. The fans are still turning up in deceny numbers given the utter dross being displayed on the pitch. As said by smurf above, it's time for the staff at Hibs, board, manager and players to do their bit. We are waiting..........

sunshine1875
23-01-2011, 09:05 PM
"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in Hamilton, but only if it does not rain, we shall fight on the sand at Tannadice and the grass at St. Mirren, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our SPL status, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

John Rankin 2010 Last seen signing his pre-contact at some English 2nd Division team

Springbank
23-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Stick me down for Left Midfield.

smurf
23-01-2011, 10:05 PM
So you'll be in the 'running it down at every opportunity' camp then? I'm shocked. :wink:

Should the club make the absolutely necessary moves in the remainder of this window, then the fans will feel with justification, that their support is being reciprocated by recognition within our club of how serious our predicament is...

Indeed HAD the club (Board and Manager) prepared with the obvious urgency required before the window opened we just may have more points on the board and still be in the Scottish Cup.

That's NOT an opinion "Running down the club" its one from a frustrated supporter who like us all loves the club and is frustrated and disappointed, that the club appears not to be prepared, to take the required action, namely of taking the hit by getting many out and in.

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Should the club make the absolutely necessary moves in the remainder of this window, then the fans will feel with justification, that their support is being reciprocated by recognition within our club of how serious our predicament is...

Indeed HAD the club (Board and Manager) prepared with the obvious urgency required before the window opened we just may have more points on the board and still be in the Scottish Cup.

That's NOT an opinion "Running down the club" its one from a frustrated supporter who like us all loves the club and is frustrated and disappointed, that the club appears not to be prepared, to take the required action, namely of taking the hit by getting many out and in.

Fair enough. So, what are you going to do for the club in this hour of need?

:notworthy:

Captain Trips
23-01-2011, 10:09 PM
The only people running down the club unfortunatly play for it.

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Are you really sure about that?

What are you going to doing for the club in this hour of need? :notworthy:

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Stick me down for Left Midfield.

Good man! See if you can half that wee barsteward Templeton while you're there. :wink:

Captain Trips
23-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Are you really sure about that?

It is your opinion what the hour of need is, im not giving the club anymore money this season thats what I am doing.

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 10:22 PM
It is your opinion what the hour of need is, im not giving the club anymore money this season thats what I am doing.

So that'll be nothing then. Fair do's. :thumbsup:

Captain Trips
23-01-2011, 10:24 PM
So that'll be nothing then. Fair do's. :thumbsup:

Yup absolutly **** all:flag:

Speedy
23-01-2011, 10:32 PM

So if you're not backing the club with everything you've got then you are turning your back on it? What would you suggest the players are doing?

To answer your question I am not going to back Hibs with everything I've got because all that would do is pay one of our players for a week or two and to be honest I don't think that would be a good use of "everything I've got".

I'll still support Hibs if and when I can but I can't afford £30 a game and I certainly can't justify spending £30 every second week on something that I don't enjoy. I'm sure there are many others are in the same boat.

Shrekko
23-01-2011, 10:34 PM

Hibs fans would be in a much better position to whine and greet about the board not doing enough etc. if we could genuinely claim that the fans turn out week in, week out. We don't unfortunately.

The OP makes a fair point- the fans are always claiming they ARE the football club. Well I guess the club is only as good as it's fans in a lot of ways.

turn and burn
23-01-2011, 10:41 PM

well said. sums it up.

sleeping giant
23-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Me! I'm going to hope :greengrin
I'll hope like **** and maybe , just maybe buy 2 Happy Hibbee half time draw tickets instead of 1 :agree:

Mon the Hibs.

:thumbsup:

sleeping giant
23-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Thats the spirit son :na na:

Captain Trips
23-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Maybe ask the players etc about what they can do for club and not what it can do for you. They have the biggest influence.

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Hibs fans would be in a much better position to whine and greet about the board not doing enough etc. if we could genuinely claim that the fans turn out week in, week out. We don't unfortunately.

The OP makes a fair point- the fans are always claiming they ARE the football club. Well I guess the club is only as good as it's fans in a lot of ways.

:top marks
I will be there at every home game and the away games we Cannot afford to lose Hamilton St Mirren.

monktonharp
23-01-2011, 11:07 PM
So that'll be nothing then. Fair do's. :thumbsup:here's a wee tiny suggestion,and it may even come down to things like "six pointer" games at the likes o' Hamilton. why dont the club actually realise the real situation we are in, and decide THIS WEEK to announce that for all away games for the remainder of the season, the CLUB will provide free travel to games (buses). not the whole answer to our problems I know,but it would be some way of helping the fans/ team to get fired up for the fight that we are about to face.the press and the other side o' the toon are having a f/kin field day wi' the situation we are in,the fans are totally pished off with the lack of fight and completely amazed at things like changing goalkeepers when our last goalie was doin' no bad considering,then our manager making statements like" no grounds for concern"etc. we all know it is part of his job to talk up things re- the club but many are getting increasingly worried. we need something..............any f/cking thing to cling onto and try to assist this club from dropping out of the league. if it happens,it may take years to recover to a cetain level of support. the support is dropping like flies, and I, LIKE MOST ON HERE, can identify loads of mates/fellow Hibbies amongst us that will not be back this season,probanly next season, and possibly lost

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Maybe ask the players etc about what they can do for club and not what it can do for you. They have the biggest influence.

We cannot answer for those shysters, but we can answer for ourselves. If you are not prepared to do the needful your club you can hardly complain when the players don't give a flying one either.

hibs0666
23-01-2011, 11:09 PM
here's a wee tiny suggestion,and it may even come down to things like "six pointer" games at the likes o' Hamilton. why dont the club actually realise the real situation we are in, and decide THIS WEEK to announce that for all away games for the remainder of the season, the CLUB will provide free travel to games (buses). not the whole answer to our problems I know,but it would be some way of helping the fans/ team to get fired up for the fight that we are about to face.the press and the other side o' the toon are having a f/kin field day wi' the situation we are in,the fans are totally pished off with the lack of fight and completely amazed at things like changing goalkeepers when our last goalie was doin' no bad considering,then our manager making statements like" no grounds for concern"etc. we all know it is part of his job to talk up things re- the club but many are getting increasingly worried. we need something..............any f/cking thing to cling onto and try to assist this club from dropping out of the league. if it happens,it may take years to recover to a cetain level of support. the support is dropping like flies, and I, LIKE MOST ON HERE, can identify loads of mates/fellow Hibbies amongst us that will not be back this season,probanly next season, and possibly lost

Great idea. Has it been suggested to the club yet? We have a few Waterloos looming, and the bigger and better the backing the more we can urge the players on the park to get their shiit together. :thumbsup:

Removed
23-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Me! I'm going to hope :greengrin
I'll hope like **** and maybe , just maybe buy 2 Happy Hibbee half time draw tickets instead of 1 :agree:

Mon the Hibs.

:thumbsup:

:not worth

And I might even buy a new hat from the clubstore :greengrin

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 11:19 PM
here's a wee tiny suggestion,and it may even come down to things like "six pointer" games at the likes o' Hamilton. why dont the club actually realise the real situation we are in, and decide THIS WEEK to announce that for all away games for the remainder of the season, the CLUB will provide free travel to games (buses). not the whole answer to our problems I know,but it would be some way of helping the fans/ team to get fired up for the fight that we are about to face.the press and the other side o' the toon are having a f/kin field day wi' the situation we are in,the fans are totally pished off with the lack of fight and completely amazed at things like changing goalkeepers when our last goalie was doin' no bad considering,then our manager making statements like" no grounds for concern"etc. we all know it is part of his job to talk up things re- the club but many are getting increasingly worried. we need something..............any f/cking thing to cling onto and try to assist this club from dropping out of the league. if it happens,it may take years to recover to a cetain level of support. the support is dropping like flies, and I, LIKE MOST ON HERE, can identify loads of mates/fellow Hibbies amongst us that will not be back this season,probanly next season, and possibly lost

Buses wont happen something to do with insurance or a named individual taking resposibility for the bus. They may be able to donate money to supporters clubs who could then organise the bus. But would take responsibility for 50 radges you did not know they may tan the bus if the result goes bad. :confused:

monktonharp
23-01-2011, 11:23 PM

The OP makes a fair point- the fans are always claiming they ARE the football club. Well I guess the club is only as good as it's fans in a lot of ways.you need a reality check. Hibernian fans have almost reached the point of: what's the point.I've been there for more than 40 years, seen so many dissapointments,keep bouncing back because they are my team but everyone has their breaking point. me,I guess i'll still be here next season but there are increasing numbers that wont . I strongly feel that the club aint doing enough to even stem the tide.

snooky
23-01-2011, 11:25 PM

I thought we were just naturally slow movers in the transfer market then whoosh! - Bamba's gone. Signed sealed and delivered soon as the window opened. Jeez, how fast was that?

Anybody ever driven down a street where it's 70mph going and 20mph coming back?
Na, me neither.

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 11:31 PM

Love the free buses idea - should have been done for Ayr replay.

But for the big away games coming up that are 6 pointers it would be a big step to mending the differences between fans / players / manager and board

monktonharp
23-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Buses wont happen something to do with insurance or a named individual taking resposibility for the bus. They may be able to donate money to supporters clubs who could then organise the bus. But would take responsibility for 50 radges you did not know they may tan the bus if the result goes bad. :confused: Listen for one minute,as a bus convenor for an asscotiated supporters club, I have asked for , on various occasions............and events,for players to attend our branch functions,for tours ,comploained about tours of EMains and other issues to no effect. some of the people running or employed at Hibernian,are looking over the parephet of this ivory tower, without even shouting down to us on the other side of the moat! they need to connect with the fans,and I mean NOW! BTW, how much is a ticket for the midweek game?

Shrekko
23-01-2011, 11:44 PM
you need a reality check. Hibernian fans have almost reached the point of: what's the point.I've been there for more than 40 years, seen so many dissapointments,keep bouncing back because they are my team but everyone has their breaking point. me,I guess i'll still be here next season but there are increasing numbers that wont . I strongly feel that the club aint doing enough to even stem the tide.

I need nothing of the sort.

I've been following them for over 30 years and one thing I do know is that Hibs fans are neither particularly loyal, in the main, nor particularly fanatical or even supportive at times.

We're not like fans of say Newcastle, who can rightly point out that they are with the club week in, week out. They are more entitled than us to complain when things go wrong.

There was a thread last week from someone who had watched a game on tv then declared he wouldn't be going back this season- that sums it up in a lot of ways!!

I defend the right of anyone to go or not go but if you're really feeling so apathetic then don't be crying about other folk not doing enough.

Captain Trips
23-01-2011, 11:53 PM

I've been following them for over 30 years and one thing I do know is that Hibs fans are neither particularly loyal, in the main, nor particularly fanatical or even supportive at times.

We're not like fans of say Newcastle, who can rightly point out that they are with the club week in, week out. They are more entitled than us to complain when things go wrong.

There was a thread last week from someone who had watched a game on tv then declared he wouldn't be going back this season- that sums it up in a lot of ways!!

I defend the right of anyone to go or not go but if you're really feeling so apathetic then don't be crying about other folk not doing enough.

I was that person and I will complain whenever I feel it right to do so. Im not doing enough in some folks view bothers me not, if the club did more and the apathy didnt come from the pitch then maybe there wouldnt be a need for any of this.

Shrekko
24-01-2011, 12:22 AM
I was that person and I will complain whenever I feel it right to do so. Im not doing enough in some folks view bothers me not, if the club did more and the apathy didnt come from the pitch then maybe there wouldnt be a need for any of this.
Didnt dispute your right to complain about anything- would just say that I've more sympathy with folk who actually are giving up their hard earned to watch the rubbish we are watching.

Captain Trips
24-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Didnt dispute your right to complain about anything- would just say that I've more sympathy with folk who actually are giving up their hard earned to watch the rubbish we are watching.

Who is looking for sympathy?

lEXO
24-01-2011, 12:31 AM
I,ll tell you what i,ll be doing, going to the Rangers game and every home game like plenty other fans. More in hope than confidence mind. Saying that i have never been so peed off with a Hibs team as i am with this lot and i am finding it harder and harder to get motivated to go.I think a lot of us do plenty for our team and it,s about time they started doing a lot more for us.

monktonharp
24-01-2011, 12:41 AM

I defend the right of anyone to go or not go but if you're really feeling so apathetic then don't be crying about other folk not doing enough.ok, point 1:I am as fanatical as any geordie lad that turns up at st.james to watch their team, point 2:naw,they certainly are not more entitled than us to complain, and you must be getting me mixed up with someone who actually gives a f/ck..........when it comes to what happens to an English premier side. point 3:I wont be crying about anyone not doing enough when it comes to Hibernian supporters,they are like me,Hibernian fanatics. point 4:do you think all us disloyal fans should stop watching tv games regarding our team,playing on a wet tuesday,80 miles away in a game that given our form,is possible that is lost? wish i'd taken that day off work after all.. Sometimes think that we were moe fanatical at times, like Bsiktas fans, torch the place:rolleyes:

Shrekko
24-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Who is looking for sympathy?

Didn't say you were.

Shrekko
24-01-2011, 12:50 AM
ok, point 1:I am as fanatical as any geordie lad that turns up at st.james to watch their team, point 2:naw,they certainly are not more entitled than us to complain, and you must be getting me mixed up with someone who actually gives a f/ck..........when it comes to what happens to an English premier side. point 3:I wont be crying about anyone not doing enough when it comes to Hibernian supporters,they are like me,Hibernian fanatics. point 4:do you think all us disloyal fans should stop watching tv games regarding our team,playing on a wet tuesday,80 miles away in a game that given our form,is possible that is lost? wish i'd taken that day off work after all.. Sometimes think that we were moe fanatical at times, like Bsiktas fans, torch the place:rolleyes:

I was generalising and fine you know it.

I've already said to Carlsberg that the ones who are doing everything they can to back the club, are more than entitled to be up in arms. The ones who watch a game on telly and announce the club is getting no more money from them are probably less entitled to demand improvement from the board etc.

Not an uber fan debate just an opinion. I've been to less games than normal this season myself and am not criticising people for not going.

oldbutdim
24-01-2011, 12:56 AM
I,ll tell you what i,ll be doing, going to the Rangers game and every home game like plenty other fans. More in hope than confidence mind. Saying that i have never been so peed off with a Hibs team as i am with this lot and i am finding it harder and harder to get motivated to go.I think a lot of us do plenty for our team and it,s about time they started doing a lot more for us.

Well said that man.

I don't really see why we fans should be suffering a guilt trip - if that is what is being suggested.
I've been going virtually every week for over 40 years and I think I've paid my dues as a Hibs fan. I'd like to see some payback from the present incumbents of the jerseys, who are mainly charlatans and impostors. Why anyone should suggest that the present state of affairs at ER is anything at all do do with the fans is frankly beyond me.
The owner, Board, manager and players are culpable. Not the fans.

:cool2:

vahibbie
24-01-2011, 12:59 AM

But the "folk" we are crying about are the ones picking up the cash the supporters are being asked to shell out.
This is Hibs we are talking about and we fully realise that although we have a song called "Glory Glory", glory doesn't actually come around to often.
HOWEVER
We should expect that the players on the field put in a bit of effort, that they can do things at least to a reasonable level and that our coaches show they have the basics of coaching and managing.

Captain Trips
24-01-2011, 12:59 AM
I was generalising and fine you know it.

I've already said to Carlsberg that the ones who are doing everything they can to back the club, are more than entitled to be up in arms. The ones who watch a game on telly and announce the club is getting no more money from them are probably less entitled to demand improvement from the board etc.

Not an uber fan debate just an opinion. I've been to less games than normal this season myself and am not criticising people for not going.

What a load of utter rubbish, how do you know what matches I went to before I stated that to know if in your opinion I have as much right to complain? So because I didnt go to a match I am less entitled to complain than folk who did go? I believe I have done more than enough this season to validly complain and nobody on here sets any peramiters for this.

I stated I wasnt going back, I made the comment and you mentioned it so thats not generalising. Somebody who states not going back after watching game on telly might have been to the last 100.

Shrekko
24-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Aw FFS Carlsberg- the generalising comments were about Hibs fans as a whole not being as loyal as other sets of fans.

To clarify- folk can vote with their feet and that's fine. Others who continue to turn up and back the club are probably entitled to feel more aggrieved at what's being served up.

We've all I'm sure paid our dues with Hibs over the years and I don't blame anyone for being apathetic.

Beefster
24-01-2011, 07:02 AM
I'll turn up on Wednesday, buy a pint in BTG before having a Bovril and pie in the stadium?

If things are really bad, I'm prepared to buy a poke of chips too.

Keith_M
24-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I plan on organising a mass pitch invasion at the next game, resulting in the game being cancelled and the other side receiving an automatic 3-0 victory.

I'm not sure what else I can manage but i'll let you know.

:wink:

Captain Trips
24-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Aw FFS Carlsberg- the generalising comments were about Hibs fans as a whole not being as loyal as other sets of fans.

To clarify- folk can vote with their feet and that's fine. Others who continue to turn up and back the club are probably entitled to feel more aggrieved at what's being served up.

We've all I'm sure paid our dues with Hibs over the years and I don't blame anyone for being apathetic.

Never mind aww ffs. You mentioned the actions of myself twice in posts then say you are generalising. Hibs are no worse than newcastle or better, bet some of their fans stated they wouldnt go back as well and like me they are in minority. If you want to generalise the fans a hell of a lot more will continue to go than take my view.

Steve20
24-01-2011, 12:57 PM
We cannot answer for those shysters, but we can answer for ourselves. If you are not prepared to do the needful your club you can hardly complain when the players don't give a flying one either.

Of course people have a right to complain.

I've already gave my £400 for my season ticket. Do I have a right to complain about the players not giving a flying one then? Or must I attend all the games, and watch these gutless impostors drag Hibs down, as well to be allowed an opinion on them? :rolleyes:

lEXO
24-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Of course people have a right to complain.

I've already gave my £400 for my season ticket. Do I have a right to complain about the players not giving a flying one then? Or must I attend all the games, and watch these gutless impostors drag Hibs down, as well to be allowed an opinion on them? :rolleyes:

Thats what people forget, we are paying good money to watch guys that are getting well paid underperform every week. I go because i,ve paid my money up front, but dont blame those that dont. We are paying good cash to watch gash.

Joe Baker II
26-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Buses wont happen something to do with insurance or a named individual taking resposibility for the bus. They may be able to donate money to supporters clubs who could then organise the bus. But would take responsibility for 50 radges you did not know they may tan the bus if the result goes bad. :confused:

Very unconvincing excuse since:

a) it does not stop other clubs organising buses for supporters,

b) it has not stopped Hibs in the past from hiring buses,

c they do not provide the same logic regarding fear of place getting trashed to opening the bar in FF Stand before and after games, could the difference possibly be that they can actually make money out of opening the bar?

And if this is attitude they have toward Hibs fans it is harly surprising that many decide they have better things to do with their money rather than give it to Hibs!

Would suggest the idiot at the club (sounds rather like O'Hagan I fear) who came up with this response is an ofifcer we would do well to dispense with the services of with immediate effect!