PDA

View Full Version : Matt Thornhill

Largshibby
23-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but according to the sunday mail CC hopes to add to the squad before the Rankers game because MT is sidelined through injury!!!

Surely if he is injured he would have failed the medical (supposedly being undertaken this weekend) therefore we would not be signing him? Don't think I can cope with another Daryll Duffy on top of everything else.

bingo70
23-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but according to the sunday mail CC hopes to add to the squad before the Rankers game because MT is sidelined through injury!!!

Surely if he is injured he would have failed the medical (supposedly being undertaken this weekend) therefore we would not be signing him? Don't think I can cope with another Daryll Duffy on top of everything else.

Calderwood said when we signed him that he was injured and hadn't trained for a couple of weeks so i doubt if its a serious injury as it was something we were aware of.

Good that he hopes to have new faces in for wednesday though, hope they're bloody good cos they need to be :wink:

Sir David Gray
23-01-2011, 04:31 PM
How can he possibly have passed a medical if he is injured? :confused:

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Perhaps its a gash to his head, or a wrist injury, or even a slight sprain on his ankle. Its not a serious injury apparently.

bingo70
23-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Cos his injury might be something like a damaged wrist, you could still get an idea of his overall fitness without him being fit enough to play a game.

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.espnstar.com/rss-feed/detail/item569762/?

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2011, 04:50 PM
CC you crack me up, Calderwood felt his players' attitude and performance were "excellent" and saw a "tremendous resolve" among his charges to correct their poor run of results.

:faf::faf:

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 04:54 PM
CC you crack me up, Calderwood felt his players' attitude and performance were "excellent" and saw a "tremendous resolve" among his charges to correct their poor run of results.

He should really just not do interviews or send Adams out.

He is coming out with some real nonsense and it's not helping the cause.

sundo1875
23-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Has he had a medical yet ? Nothing official yet saying he is confirmed As a hibs player

Sir David Gray
23-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Perhaps its a gash to his head, or a wrist injury, or even a slight sprain on his ankle. Its not a serious injury apparently.

Cos his injury might be something like a damaged wrist, you could still get an idea of his overall fitness without him being fit enough to play a game.

Fair points. :agree:

I just don't want the same to happen with this guy as what happened with Duffy and he can't play until March or April. If it's only going to be an injury for a week-10 days and there is nothing more complex that that, then I can deal with that.

We need our new signings to be fit and ready to play ASAP.

Wheat Hound
23-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Agree. Just about threw ma pc out the window when I read that the interview. The increasingly deluded words of an increasingly desperate man.

vahibbie
23-01-2011, 04:57 PM

It's been a wee while since we had a manager that could talk to the media without sounding like a total erse.
You sometimes think they are at a completely different game:confused:

tamig
23-01-2011, 04:58 PM

I just don't want the same to happen with this guy as what happened with Duffy and he can't play until March or April. If it's only going to be an injury for a week-10 days and there is nothing more complex that that, then I can deal with that.

Duffy got injured after he signed. It's the nature of the game. There are no gurantees that any player will escape injury. Any time.

JE89
23-01-2011, 05:00 PM

Jamie Rednapp passed a medical at Spurs on crutches apparently.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2011, 05:01 PM
This boy seems fairly keen to come but signing players just now that are not match fit and can't go straight into the team is almost beyond belief.

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I wonder how fit you have to be at the moment to play for Hibs?

The part timers looked fitter than us over 2 games:dunno:

Sir David Gray
23-01-2011, 05:06 PM
It's been a wee while since we had a manager that could talk to the media without sounding like a total erse.
You sometimes think they are at a completely different game:confused:

He certainly wasn't at the same game that I was at yesterday.

I said in another thread last night that we were ok in the second half, but no more than that. We had two shots on target in the entire match and one of them came from a hopeful shot from a defender, 30 yards out that didn't trouble the goalkeeper in the slightest.

If that's the level of performance that Calderwood is expecting from the players then we are in a lot more trouble than even I originally thought we were.

Houchy
23-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Matt T actually passed his medical first thing on Saturday but was deemed to be "Off his heid" and sent straight to the loony bin and can't play until further investigations are completed into his mental state.:greengrin:agree:

He was last heard saying "I'm fine, I know what i'm doing:crazy:"

benrocky
23-01-2011, 05:20 PM

If he turns out to be as good as Duffy it would be another mistake.
Who out of all the signings in the past 18months has proved to be good !!!!!!!!!
It sums up the attitude of both board and management at the moment why would we even be interested in a player or players that has been out on loan for last season and maybe even longer, can't get regular games for own club having only played one this season.
Not wishing to knock the lad down but having never heard of him hope he proves me wrong.
But is this the only type of player we can afford or buy.
And above all to buy a player who they know is injured beggers believe :confused:

Davy Mac
23-01-2011, 05:23 PM
This boy seems fairly keen to come but signing players just now that are not match fit and can't go straight into the team is almost beyond belief.

:agree:

Do you not know by now, it's all part of the bigger picture - och no - dinnae worry we'll no be relegated, plenty time to turn around our season..:offski:

ForeverHibs93
23-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Matt T actually passed his medical first thing on Saturday but was deemed to be "Off his heid" and sent straight to the loony bin and can't play until further investigations are completed into his mental state.:greengrin:agree:

He was last heard saying "I'm fine, I know what i'm doing:crazy:"

Here's hoping the guy gets fit ASAP, we need something new

snooky
23-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Jamie Rednapp passed a medical at Spurs on crutches apparently.

Maybe he took Louise along as a distraction.

Or, the doctor said "Aw him! I ken his faither"

sahib
23-01-2011, 05:39 PM
If he turns out to be as good as Duffy it would be another mistake.
Who out of all the signings in the past 18months has proved to be good !!!!!!!!!
It sums up the attitude of both board and management at the moment why would we even be interested in a player or players that has been out on loan for last season and maybe even longer, can't get regular games for own club having only played one this season.
Not wishing to knock the lad down but having never heard of him hope he proves me wrong.
But is this the only type of player we can afford or buy.
And above all to buy a player who they know is injured beggers believe :confused:

I know exactly what you mean. :agree:
He might be a good signing but we could do with players who have regular first team experience

greenlex
23-01-2011, 06:08 PM
He certainly wasn't at the same game that I was at yesterday.

I said in another thread last night that we were ok in the second half, but no more than that. We had two shots on target in the entire match and one of them came from a hopeful shot from a defender, 30 yards out that didn't trouble the goalkeeper in the slightest.

If that's the level of performance that Calderwood is expecting from the players then we are in a lot more trouble than even I originally thought we were.
It could also be argued that two shocking pieces of defending apart we played better than of late and better than Motherwell over the whole match so thats something to be positive about.
We certainly didnt put in the performance of a team struggling at the foot of the table and two goals down.
Not scoring and their two goals apart there actually was a wee bit to be pleased about. Enjoyable no but I suppose its all relative.

RMQ1967
23-01-2011, 06:29 PM
It could also be argued that two shocking pieces of defending apart we played better than of late and better than Motherwell over the whole match so thats something to be positive about.
We certainly didnt put in the performance of a team struggling at the foot of the table and two goals down.
Not scoring and their two goals apart there actually was a wee bit to be pleased about. Enjoyable no but I suppose its all relative.

Spot on - thought we popped it about pretty well. Zemamma looks like he's getting back to his best (if you try to forget about the missed pen & failure to pass when he was clean through).

Didn't derserve to get beaten for the performance but losing goals like the ones we've been gifting would be the downfall of any team.

JimBHibees
23-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Agree thought we were ok and just need to cut out the ridiculous mistakes. Thought we had a bit more energy about the team than previously. A couple of decent players required probably McLean from Falkirk and Rooney would see a big improvement.

PaulSmith
23-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Spot on - thought we popped it about pretty well. Zemamma looks like he's getting back to his best (if you try to forget about the missed pen & failure to pass when he was clean through).

Didn't derserve to get beaten for the performance but losing goals like the ones we've been gifting would be the downfall of any team.

Yip, but really easy to not be pressed by the opposition when they are two goals up after 25 mins.

We'll probably look as good again on Wednesday as Rangers will let us play a bit but will still win the game by two clear goals due to the fact that we cant score, they can defend, we can't defend and Jelovic will be in for Lafferty.

greenlex
23-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Yip, but really easy to not be pressed by the opposition when they are two goals up after 25 mins.

We'll probably look as good again on Wednesday as Rangers will let us play a bit but will still win the game by two clear goals due to the fact that we cant score, they can defend, we can't defend and Jelovic will be in for Lafferty.
Bit Harsh Paul. For weeks we havent passed or created chances. Do you really think a Motherwell side that have been struggling too of late sat back and said bring it on? I am all for critsising when its due but it isnt merited after Saturday.
We are a team low in confidence and we should take a wee bit out of the game.
If Calderwood who is trying to get them picking up points instead of shipping them is pleased with aspects of the game I think we should be looking and asking ourselves why instead of writing the guy of and dismissing the performance. Its easy to be critical when at the end of the day we are beaten again.
If we can defend we can get something from the game on Wednesday. We might nick it but we might blow them away by three goals.:rolleyes:

PaulSmith
23-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Bit Harsh Paul. For weeks we havent passed or created chances. Do you really think a Motherwell side that have been struggling too of late sat back and said bring it on? I am all for critsising when its due but it isnt merited after Saturday.
If Calderwood who is trying to get them picking up points instead of shipping them is pleased with aspects of the game I think we should be looking and asking ourselves why instead of writing the guy of and dismissing the performance. Its easy to be critical when at the end of the day we are beaten again.
If we can defend we can get something from the game on Wednesday. We might nick it but we might blow them away by three goals.:rolleyes:

Bar the mistake fi Craigan for the Zemamma chance and the penalty Motherwell cruised the game and Riordan free kick apart I'm struggling to think of anymore?

Of course Well sat back and allowed us to play in front of their back four, I was there and witnessed the entire 88 mins thar I was there.

CC is protecting the players and giving them public support, nowt wrong with that but if he truely believes what he is saying rather than trying to protect the players then he's not the man to take us forward for the battle that we're in.

joebakerforever
23-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Your view of the match certainly contrasts with Derek Ferguson who was covering the match for Radio Scotland.

He did not think Motherwell were under any pressure once they went two goals up and appeared to express genuine concern as to what direction Hibs were heading :worried:

silverhibee
23-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Surely he would have had his medical done over the weekend, and if so and he passed it Hibs would put it up on the there OS straight away to give the fans a wee lift that he has passed his medical.
I am starting to have doubts that wee will see any new face's this window.

And while i am at it, wee have had talks with Adam Rooney on two occasions over the last few weeks, but thats it, talks, how hard is it to table a bid of £100k to ICT for AR services now and offer the player £4000 a week wages, is that too hard for the board to do. If they knock it back fair do's, but atleast it would show the fans wee are trying to get players in.
Since SL & RP read the boards, WTF is happening, seven days to go and ticking and still nothing bar a player who is injured and waiting to pass a medical.
You couldnae make it up if you tried.
Infact it wouldn't surprise me if wee bring in no players this window but lose a couple on the last day of the window.

greenlex
23-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Bar the mistake fi Craigan for the Zemamma chance and the penalty Motherwell cruised the game and Riordan free kick apart I'm struggling to think of anymore?

Of course Well sat back and allowed us to play in front of their back four, I was there and witnessed the entire 88 mins thar I was there.

CC is protecting the players and giving them public support, nowt wrong with that but if he truely believes what he is saying rather than trying to protect the players then he's not the man to take us forward for the battle that we're in.
**** knows Paul maybe he is delighted we restricted it to just the two mistakes at the back

James70
23-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I think we have already accepted relegation as a certainty and are preparing for life in the 1st division.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2011, 10:22 PM

Opinions, eh?

I thought Zemmama was hopeless in the first half (capped off with him taking an atrocious penalty kick) and pretty anonymous in the second half.

Not the performance I would expect from one of our top players.

I would agree that our overall performance wasn't that much worse than Motherwell's, Smith didn't have a save to make in the second half, but when you consider that their recent run of results before yesterday was just about as bad as ours, that was a match that we should have been looking to get at least a point out of.

We are far too easy to play against and teams don't have to do anything particularly special to score against us. At the other end of the pitch, if you don't score in five consecutive matches, you don't deserve to win many matches.

matty_f
24-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Surely he would have had his medical done over the weekend, and if so and he passed it Hibs would put it up on the there OS straight away to give the fans a wee lift that he has passed his medical.
I am starting to have doubts that wee will see any new face's this window.

And while i am at it, wee have had talks with Adam Rooney on two occasions over the last few weeks, but thats it, talks, how hard is it to table a bid of £100k to ICT for AR services now and offer the player £4000 a week wages, is that too hard for the board to do. If they knock it back fair do's, but atleast it would show the fans wee are trying to get players in.
Since SL & RP read the boards, WTF is happening, seven days to go and ticking and still nothing bar a player who is injured and waiting to pass a medical.
You couldnae make it up if you tried.
Infact it wouldn't surprise me if wee bring in no players this window but lose a couple on the last day of the window.

He's had his medical, and no mention of him failing it, though he won't feature against the huns (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/John-Hughes-backs-Colin-Calderwood.6699997.jp?articlepage=2)

Big90inOz
24-01-2011, 06:38 AM
We need players in NOW, anything less than 7-9 points in Feb we will be in sh*t upto our necks.
First signing is injured ? You couldn't make it up unless it's hibs of course.

Beefster
24-01-2011, 07:14 AM
If we end up announcing a pre-contract with Rooney but don't pull out all the stops to get him now, the Board are negligent and all the bull**** last week about realising the position we are in and backing the manager fully is just that - bull****.

As for Thornhill, I've no problem with signing an injured player. If he's the right guy for Hibs and has a short-term problem, I don't see why we wouldn't sign him for 2.5 years just because he might miss a week or two at the beginning.

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 08:25 AM
If we end up announcing a pre-contract with Rooney but don't pull out all the stops to get him now, the Board are negligent and all the bull**** last week about realising the position we are in and backing the manager fully is just that - bull****.

As for Thornhill, I've no problem with signing an injured player. If he's the right guy for Hibs and has a short-term problem, I don't see why we wouldn't sign him for 2.5 years just because he might miss a week or two at the beginning.

I think if ICT knock back a bid then, under the circumstances, there should perhaps be announced as an indication of the efforts made.

Although he may already have agreed terms elsewhere.

jonny
24-01-2011, 08:40 AM
I think we have already accepted relegation as a certainty and are preparing for life in the 1st division.

we're too big to go down :duck:

Seriously, I dont think anyone is accepting relegation as a certainty and personally I reckon we'll claw our way out of the mire that we're currently in. At the moment it is difficult to see where a win (or even a goal!) is coming from, but theres still a week or so to bring in a couple of new faces to freshen things up and theres lots of games still to play.
I've still got faith that CC and the board will get it right. If, by the end of the transfer window we haven't brought another couple in then my opinion might change but as it is I reckon we'll be OK.

Hamilton and St Mirren are horrendous as well. Might be our saving grace in the end.

JimBHibees
24-01-2011, 10:09 AM

I hear what you are saying and would be amazed if we didnt try and get him now however we are at the mercy of whether ICT want to sell him, they may be ok with him playign for the rest of the season and leaving.