PDA

View Full Version : Time for honesty?

AgentDaleCooper
23-01-2011, 03:10 PM
there was one thing in ian murray's interview that didn't ring true for me - and that was that the players were trying, and that they cared.

my assessment - they are suffering from severe apathy. this isn't to say that they consciously don't give a hoot - they just aren't motivated. they've been sliding down a slippery slope for a very long time, and it's got to the point of something similar to addiction - there's just no real will power to sort it out.

IMO what made murray seem depressed in the interview wasn't "what are we doing to this club", but "what is wrong with me?". the players seem to have retreated into themselves to some extent, just wallowing and feeling slightly sorry for themselves, while putting on a brave face for interviews - partly because it hurts too much to say they don't care.

i'd say they don't care, but it disturbs them that they don't care (murray and deeks especially), because deep down they actually do. if that makes any sense.

possibly a complete haver of a post, but hey ho.

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 03:12 PM
there was one thing in ian murray's interview that didn't ring true for me - and that was that the players were trying, and that they cared.

my assessment - they are suffering from severe apathy. this isn't to say that they consciously don't give a hoot - they just aren't motivated. they've been sliding down a slippery slope for a very long time, and it's got to the point of something similar to addiction - there's just no real will power to sort it out.

IMO what made murray seem depressed in the interview wasn't "what are we doing to this club", but "what is wrong with me?". the players seem to have retreated into themselves to some extent, just wallowing and feeling slightly sorry for themselves, while putting on a brave face for interviews - partly because it hurts too much to say they don't care.

i'd say they don't care, but it disturbs them that they don't care (murray and deeks especially), because deep down they actually do. if that makes any sense.

possibly a complete haver of a post, but hey ho.

I agree :greengrin

Nah I know what you mean

HibsMax
23-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Just a slightly different perspective and not in direct response to the OP.

Has anyone here played any sort of sport competitively and been on a losing streak? If so then I'm sure you know how much of a rut it can be and how difficult it can to get out of that rut. I know it's not football but I play pool competitively (on a team) and I have been on losing streaks e.g., 10 matches without a win, and I can promise you it had nothing to do with having no heart, motivation or commitment. With each loss comes more pressure to get a win and that added pressure doesn't make it easier to perform. So the longer you go without a win the harder it seems be able to get one.

I'm not suggesting that this will work for football, or even anyone else, but when I find myself in that position I find taking a break helps me out. Just a week or two away from the table. I know we can't give the Hibs team a break although even if we did it wouldn't change the results. :wink: