View Full Version : It sounds so simple - but goals are going to keep us in the SPL

23-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Like all on here I am fed up discussing why we are so bad - who is to blame etc.

I want to try think ahead and how the team are going to stay in this league. Basic areas like fight, leadership, fitness and doing the basics are all missing.

CC/RP will bring in maybe 2 players maximum I would expect - any more I will be delighted but lets be realistic. 2 or 3 players isn't enough - we know the team need more changes.

So if we are wanting to stay in the SPL and not going to make major changes I would hope we can at least have a go at doing it.

Looking at the starting team yesterday - Hanlon and Dickoh (2 defenders) were the only ones who had scored a goal for us this season. Zemmama really should have had a goal with the PK but blew that chance.

Our midfielder's just don't score - Thornhill is an attacking midfielder - but he's not match fit or injured.

I would rather us lose 3v2 or 6v5 at worst as long as we stated to have a go at teams.

Deeks can be a nightmare - a luxury really - but like Stokes used to do -can score out of nothing.

Nish has been terrible but is in the top 10 SPL top scores with 62!!

Bryne, Duffy and Traksys I believe all over something different too.

I hope CC brings in a forward - ideally Rooney - but in the mean time - we can't defend - and our keepers all seem to be dodgy in one way or another.

So can I can please request we at least try and entertain and attack - Blackpool are doing it in the Premiership. Villa have spent 24 million on a forward to keep them up.

We are at a different level but at least it may get the fans back onside in the short term.

CC find and stick with an attacking team as we clearly aren't good enough at defending.

Thoughts ?

BWhiteman1972
23-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I agree, the problem is we need a midfield that can get the ball to the strikers and a manager who will get the players passing the ball on the deck rather than a hoof from back to front.

I think Rooney would be an excellent signing, but we also need at least 1 good midfielder who can not only control the ball but has the vision and ability to get the ball to the strikers. I would actually like to see us get 2 good wingers who can get in behind opposition defences and provide balls into the box.

As for the defence, it needs completely replaced.

23-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree, the problem is we need a midfield that can get the ball to the strikers and a manager who will get the players passing the ball on the deck rather than a hoof from back to front.

I think Rooney would be an excellent signing, but we also need at least 1 good midfielder who can not only control the ball but has the vision and ability to get the ball to the strikers. I would actually like to see us get 2 good wingers who can get in behind opposition defences and provide balls into the box.

As for the defence, it needs completely replaced.

Good points - hoof ball to Deeks doesn't work - I haven't seen the boy head the ball in about 3 years.

We have Zemmama as our creative player / playmaker but it's a lot to ask considering he's been out for so long.

I hope Thornhill links the midfield to the forwards - but the boy is still a bit away from playing.

CC doesn't trust the defenders - he plays long ball and never plays out the back - something that would stop Brown kicking long every time.

I would actually maybe even like to see Stevens up there again - is his cameo role at CF he did ok and at least would win some headers.

We are desperate and right now he has nothing to lose - just needs a goal / goals and results.

Liam89
23-01-2011, 05:30 PM
We've always been shaky at the back but have, in most seasons, been able to bag the goals. The problem with CC's tactics is we are playing defensively which has never worked and never will.

23-01-2011, 05:33 PM
As many have said, we need goals.

Riordan has scored more than everyone else at the club, as he has done every other season.

He's NOT a luxury right now, or at any time. Goals are what separates us often and right now, we need all the goals we can get.

The problem is Riordan is getting no supply thus having to make goals out of nothing. THat said, HE, is supplying others (see Nish miss against the yams for starters). The problems we have is a ****ty midfield who canny spray a pass, one forward who can score (from left wing/midfield) and a shoddy defence.

Other than that, we're sorted.:aok:

23-01-2011, 08:17 PM
We've always been shaky at the back but have, in most seasons, been able to bag the goals. The problem with CC's tactics is we are playing defensively which has never worked and never will.

We need to be more positive - even yesterday we didn't get many shots on goal.

2nd half of Dundee Utd 2v2 game when we were 2v0 down we went for it 2nd half and got a draw out of it.

nortonhibby
23-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Like all on here I am fed up discussing why we are so bad - who is to blame etc.

I want to try think ahead and how the team are going to stay in this league. Basic areas like fight, leadership, fitness and doing the basics are all missing.

CC/RP will bring in maybe 2 players maximum I would expect - any more I will be delighted but lets be realistic. 2 or 3 players isn't enough - we know the team need more changes.

So if we are wanting to stay in the SPL and not going to make major changes I would hope we can at least have a go at doing it.

i got a mate that works for us he takes one off the youth teams Rooney will sign a pre contract with us i was told today watch this space he will be here for the start of next season.:flag:mind you he told me to put my money on Steve Clerk as our new manager he has back tracked on that one and said RP Put an end to it because of money.

Looking at the starting team yesterday - Hanlon and Dickoh (2 defenders) were the only ones who had scored a goal for us this season. Zemmama really should have had a goal with the PK but blew that chance.

Our midfielder's just don't score - Thornhill is an attacking midfielder - but he's not match fit or injured.

I would rather us lose 3v2 or 6v5 at worst as long as we stated to have a go at teams.

Deeks can be a nightmare - a luxury really - but like Stokes used to do -can score out of nothing.

Nish has been terrible but is in the top 10 SPL top scores with 62!!

Bryne, Duffy and Traksys I believe all over something different too.

I hope CC brings in a forward - ideally Rooney - but in the mean time - we can't defend - and our keepers all seem to be dodgy in one way or another.

So can I can please request we at least try and entertain and attack - Blackpool are doing it in the Premiership. Villa have spent 24 million on a forward to keep them up.

We are at a different level but at least it may get the fans back onside in the short term.

CC find and stick with an attacking team as we clearly aren't good enough at defending.

Thoughts ?

i got a mate that works for us he takes one off the youth teams Rooney will sign a pre contract with us i was told today watch this space he will be here for the start of next season.:flag:mind you he told me to put my money on Steve Clerk as our new manager he has back tracked on that one and said RP Put an end to it because of money.

23-01-2011, 10:16 PM
i got a mate that works for us he takes one off the youth teams Rooney will sign a pre contract with us i was told today watch this space he will be here for the start of next season.:flag:mind you he told me to put my money on Steve Clerk as our new manager he has back tracked on that one and said RP Put an end to it because of money.get your mate to PM me. i'd like to know his contacts,so that i can have a wee blether wi' them. Rooney; PRE CONTRACT,aye that will gie us a boost. just exactly what we need.

24-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Looks like we aren't going to get Rooney - but some players that might give us more of a spine in the team.

I am still hopeful we increase our belief and attack teams more in the next few weeks. :agree:

24-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Good points - hoof ball to Deeks doesn't work - I haven't seen the boy head the ball in about 3 years.

We have Zemmama as our creative player / playmaker but it's a lot to ask considering he's been out for so long.

I hope Thornhill links the midfield to the forwards - but the boy is still a bit away from playing.

CC doesn't trust the defenders - he plays long ball and never plays out the back - something that would stop Brown kicking long every time.

I would actually maybe even like to see Stevens up there again - is his cameo role at CF he did ok and at least would win some headers.

We are desperate and right now he has nothing to lose - just needs a goal / goals and results.

So we've gone from a team that was too slow getting the ball up the park, to one implored to knock it long at every opportunity. No wonder the players' form has slumped - they are probably in constant confusion about what choices they should be making and what ball they should play.

24-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Goals obviously win you games, but they also lose you them if we are leaking like a sieve. For me our problems are all about the midfield, we don't have a good one.

Zemamma could be good, but has just come back from a cruciate injury, he was never the bravest and wont be anywhere near fit yet, and wont make any challenges that are 20-80 never mind 50-50.

We wont see him anywhere near back to his best for some time yet, and he will be off in the summer.

DeGraff, slow, cant tackle cant pass just a poor player who looks out of his depth to me. He may have been a decent player in the past, but thats just it, it was in the past. Creates nothing, and does not defend very well.

Murray, see De Graff.

Rankin, runs about all day but contributes very little. Always gives 100% but thats just not enough.

Galbraith, he's young and will be inconsistent, but has shown signs of improvement. The same can be said of Wotherspoon, although i'd prefer him to be given a good run at right back.

Miller, has ability imo, and with the right players around him could/should be better, who knows if that will happen, who knows if he wants to stay, but lets say most wouldn't be upset if he left.

So in a nutshell i believe if we improve the midfield, we improve the team twofold. We will score more goals, and let in less.

Over to you Colin.

24-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Goals obviously win you games, but they also lose you them if we are leaking like a sieve. For me our problems are all about the midfield, we don't have a good one.

Zemamma could be good, but has just come back from a cruciate injury, he was never the bravest and wont be anywhere near fit yet, and wont make any challenges that are 20-80 never mind 50-50.

We wont see him anywhere near back to his best for some time yet, and he will be off in the summer.

DeGraff, slow, cant tackle cant pass just a poor player who looks out of his depth to me. He may have been a decent player in the past, but thats just it, it was in the past. Creates nothing, and does not defend very well.

Murray, see De Graff.

Rankin, runs about all day but contributes very little. Always gives 100% but thats just not enough.

Galbraith, he's young and will be inconsistent, but has shown signs of improvement. The same can be said of Wotherspoon, although i'd prefer him to be given a good run at right back.

Miller, has ability imo, and with the right players around him could/should be better, who knows if that will happen, who knows if he wants to stay, but lets say most wouldn't be upset if he left.

So in a nutshell i believe if we improve the midfield, we improve the team twofold. We will score more goals, and let in less.

Over to you Colin.

Looks like we could be getting 2 semi decent players in with energy and a bit about them to supply the forwards.

I just hope these players give us energy and passion - something we have been missing.

I am hopeful we can still bring in another forward though - with some speed ( Rooney is the perfect player for us )- but seems that won't happen.

End of the season we need to still work on the spine -

New GK or sort Browns kicking out

A right back
Centre back (leader - keeps things simple)
A midfielder who scores goals

26-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Right back looks like it will be ok till end of the season.

New keeper hopefully coming in.

We need a target man or a forward who wins headers and holds the ball up for others.

Plus ideally some speed to run off that player - no pace in the team up top or outwide.

We need goals :agree: