PDA

View Full Version : Craig Brown Interview in Times (Not a 'wish we had got him' thread)

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I am just reading the Sunday interview with Craig Brown in the times.

The near immediate turn around we have witnessed is no real surprise after reading about his attitude and treatment of players, staff etc.

His first line to the players at Aberdeen was "imagine getting paid for staying fit, for your hobby...your love?"

The interview develops talking about good manners. He mentions "i like to treat players the way i would want to be treated myself, but players need, no want discipline".

He seems to know exactly how to treat people and he mentions "i cant abide anyone confusing kindness with softness". Brown found out that a Serbian defender's (he had playing for him) Dad had a heart attack. Brown personally made sure he was on the next flight back to Belgrade. Conversely, following last week's win over St Mirren brown was said to be irate, launching into a riot after he noticed complacency in his player's eyes.

The best part is the way he has galvanised the club. Brown and Knox gathered every single member of staff together in a room, from groundsman to cook. They introduced themselves and said if anyone needed anything not to hesitate in coming for help or advice!!

Although i would have loved him to be at Hibs with this attitude, i generally just think we could do with more guys like this in Scottish football. It's a real shame he is in his twilight years as Scottish football is rotten at the moment. This rot is perfectly encapsulated at Hibs with players (i use that term loosely) with absolutely no respect for the job they do and the greater responsibility that it holds.

Brown uses the word 'privilege', you'd be hard pushed to find a current Hibs player who knows what that means.

RickyS
23-01-2011, 12:55 PM

The near immediate turn around we have witnessed is no real surprise after reading about his attitude and treatment of players, staff etc.

His first line to the players at Aberdeen was "imagine getting paid for staying fit, for your hobby...your love?"

The interview develops talking about good manners. He mentions "i like to treat players the way i would want to be treated myself, but players need, no want discipline".

He seems to know exactly how to treat people and he mentions "i cant abide anyone confusing kindness with softness". Brown found out that a Serbian defender's (he had playing for him) Dad had a heart attack. Brown personally made sure he was on the next flight back to Belgrade. Conversely, following last week's win over St Mirren brown was said to be irate, launching into a riot after he noticed complacency in his player's eyes.

The best part is the way he has galvanised the club. Brown and Knox gathered every single member of staff together in a room, from groundsman to cook. They introduced themselves and said if anyone needed anything not to hesitate in coming for help or advice!!

Although i would have loved him to be at Hibs with this attitude, i generally just think we could do with more guys like this in Scottish football. It's a real shame he is in his twilight years as Scottish football is rotten at the moment. This rot is perfectly encapsulated at Hibs with players (i use that term loosely) with absolutely no respect for the job they do and the greater responsibility that it holds.

Brown uses the word 'privilege', you'd be hard pushed to find a current Hibs player who knows what that means.

i wish we had him

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 01:28 PM

He is no doubt a good manager, however Scotland fans grew to hate him for negative footie and 3 - 4 yeras ago he was seen as a joke figure living on past glories who had done nothing at club level.

How people can get it totally wrong eh !

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-01-2011, 01:57 PM
It is pretty amazing how the press can misconstrue an image of somebody.

I envisaged him to be a boring, dour guy. A few folk who know him laughed at me and said if he walked into the room he would be "everybody's mate" within 5 or 10 minutes!!

Looking back he took Scotland to major championships which is near impossible given the last decades efforts to qualify. He was slated at the time for negative football but he got Scotland there, i think he played to the current player's strengths ie. defence!!!

Capt Mainwaring
23-01-2011, 02:01 PM
He is no doubt a good manager, however Scotland fans grew to hate him for negative footie and 3 - 4 yeras ago he was seen as a joke figure living on past glories who had done nothing at club level.

How people can get it totally wrong eh !

Indeed. That will be the same Scotland Manager that got us to a World Cup and a European Champoinship - remember them!!

KeithTheHibby
23-01-2011, 02:19 PM
He is a bit of a ****ger too, top bloke.:greengrin