PDA

View Full Version : Lack of confidence

bingo70
23-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I think even the 95% of fans that know cock all about football can work out that this squad is really struggling for confidence and IMO thats the main factor behind our horrendous run of form just now, our players aren't great and there's areas we need to improve but we're better than we're showing right now, case in point being against Ayr, for our faults we've got better players than them and i don't think many could argue with the way we set up against them.

How does CC go about fixing this though when he's trying to convince them that they're good players but then he's telling them they're not getting new deals as he obviously doesn't want them for next year?

CC has been making mistakes but i'm absolutely convinced we'll be a different team next year as long as we stay up and he's got this issue out the road but i reckon this is the reason we've not seen the upturn in form you usually get from a new manager.

thoughts?

greenlex
23-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree Bingo. Hopefully a few signings this week will add a bit of bite and steel defensively. A goal or two and a result or two and we stay up. Release the dross in the summer and sign players to kick on next season.
Simples :greengrin

bingo70
23-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I agree Bingo. Hopefully a few signings this week will add a bit of bite and steel defensively. A goal or two and a result or two and we stay up. Release the dross in the summer and sign players to kick on next season.
Simples :greengrin

I concur, i've been fancying us to get a win for a few weeks now, i just think it's going to take a ball bouncing of someones arse in a goalmouth scramble in the 94th minute before the players believe they can win the nwhen we do hopefully we can build from there.

I think CC has got a hell of a tough job on just now though and not just because our players are pish (yes i can see the irony in calling them pish then complaining about there lack of confidence), although TBF he's not helping himself by dropping our keeper and replacing him with that donkey smith and also making 6 or 7 changes every week, IMO to try and install some confidence he needs to be fielding a settled side and start convincing them they can win games, just now he's trying to convince about 20 players of this when if he fielded a settled side he could probably get away with convincing 6 or 7.

s.a.m
23-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I agree with you about the confidence thing - what proportion of that is due to the contract situation is hard to judge, but it's bound to make things more complicated at the least. Perhaps he needs to select some of them for keeping - at least for a year or two - so we have at least a small group of players who know that they're staying, and are in this together. I'm waffling, but I wonder how you go about creating a side with a stake in our future out of what's there? Dunno if this is the answer, but I think it might be easier for CC to work with players who have had the uncertainty removed from them.

BroxburnHibee
23-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I think even the 95% of fans that know cock all about football can work out that this squad is really struggling for confidence and IMO thats the main factor behind our horrendous run of form just now, our players aren't great and there's areas we need to improve but we're better than we're showing right now, case in point being against Ayr, for our faults we've got better players than them and i don't think many could argue with the way we set up against them.

How does CC go about fixing this though when he's trying to convince them that they're good players but then he's telling them they're not getting new deals as he obviously doesn't want them for next year?

CC has been making mistakes but i'm absolutely convinced we'll be a different team next year as long as we stay up and he's got this issue out the road but i reckon this is the reason we've not seen the upturn in form you usually get from a new manager.

thoughts?

Agree with this Bingo.

Yesterday we actually started quite well I thought and were passing the ball about and controlling the game.

Then Smith gifted the goal and all belief just disappeared.

Noticeable after that not one of them was willing to keep the ball (apart from Booth maybe) and do something with it.

Cant see what can change it tbh unless we get a lucky win from somewhere.

Motherwell didn't have to work hard for that win yesterday - we gift wrapped it with 2 ridiculous pieces of defending and 1 stupid shot from a player that many on here thought would be the solution to all our problems.

woodyloon
23-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Agree with the thoughts on lack of confidence. You can see that they are trying to be so deliberate with the passes, and most of the time there passes are easily read by the oppisition players.

When a player gets the ball he is either unsure on his options or other players start hiding, hence the player dithers on the ball, then he turns back, or tries a pass thats not on, or just passes anywhere to get rid of it, or ends up losing possession.

IMO I still fear that there is a deep rooted problem within ER. Maybe the players aren't good enough. I personally feel that even although we have let our better players move on, especially our main goalscorer, but the players left IMO should still be good enough to get us better results than we are getting.

It is over a year since our results and performances have started to go downhill,( I thought we might of got a lift after beating Rangers and Motherwell) but my biggest worry is how many players are playing well below there capibilties. I appreciate ever player at some point will lose form, but most professional players can play through this till they regain there form, maybe even getting dropped for a bit. But no squad can compete with the amount of players we have out of form at the same time, you can maybe carry one or two through a game but not, 6,7 or 8 players.

BEEJ
23-01-2011, 02:18 PM
what proportion of that is due to the contract situation is hard to judge, but it's bound to make things more complicated at the least. Perhaps he needs to select some of them for keeping - at least for a year or two - so we have at least a small group of players who know that they're staying, and are in this together. I'm waffling, but I wonder how you go about creating a side with a stake in our future out of what's there?

Dunno if this is the answer, but I think it might be easier for CC to work with players who have had the uncertainty removed from them.
:agree: Not waffle at all.

Both lack of confidence AND lack of identity with the club's current circumstances are the two biggest issues for the team on the field of play.

offshorehibby
23-01-2011, 04:00 PM
I think if we had a goal scorer this season things might be a bit different