PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the highlights on Hibs TV - Graeme Smith - OH MY GOD !

The Voice Of Reason
23-01-2011, 09:29 AM
How bad is that clown Smith in goals. WTF was he doing for the first goal (and arguably the 2nd goal - what happened to commanding the 6 yard box?)

Does Calderwood want the sack ? That can be the only reason for dropping Brown and playing "Coco the clown" in goals. :confused:

How Smith is a professional goalkeeper is beyond me. :brickwall

The Harp Awakes
23-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I think Coco the Clown has a double in the dugout

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 09:34 AM
How bad is that clown Smith in goals. WTF was he doing for the first goal (and arguably the 2nd goal - what happened to commanding the 6 yard box?)

Does Calderwood want the sack ? That can be the only reason for dropping Brown and playing "Coco the clown" in goals. :confused:

How Smith is a professional goalkeeper is beyond me. :brickwall

Well you could also ask what the Hibs back four were doing for the first goal - three Motherwell players converging on Smith and our lot all a few steps behind? For the second we could also ask Thicot what he was doing, surely it was his job to defend that ball? Not exonerating Smith in any way, but he alone wasn't to blame, I feel.

James70
23-01-2011, 09:37 AM
If that had been Ma-kalambay there would have been 10 pages about him on here by now.

Is this just another indication that many supporters just don't care any more?

When you consider the stick that previous keepers have received and deservedly so it seems that Smith is getting off lightly yet he could easily be the worst of the lot.

We could have had a draw yesterday if Brown had been in goals.

greenlex
23-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Well you could also ask what the Hibs back four were doing for the first goal - three Motherwell players converging on Smith and our lot all a few steps behind? For the second we could also ask Thicot what he was doing, surely it was his job to defend that ball? Not exonerating Smith in any way, but he alone wasn't to blame, I feel.
First goal is entirely down to Smith. He had room and plenty of it to collect that ball. Even after it bounced his attempts to keep it out were comedy gold. To think Makalamby got hounded out of the club for much much less.
Duffy didnt cover himself in glory for the second but for me Thicot is the defender there and is more culpable.
In both goals situation the player responsible did not command the area they were defending. Basic defending mistakes. Eye on the ball and make it yours.

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 09:47 AM
First goal is entirely down to Smith. He had room and plenty of it to collect that ball. Even after it bounced his attempts to keep it out were comedy gold. To think Makalamby got hounded out of the club for much much less.
Duffy didnt cover himself in glory for the second but for me Thicot is the defender there and is more culpable.
In both goals situation the player responsible did not command the area they were defending. Basic defending mistakes. Eye on the ball and make it yours.

IMO Maka was by far much worse than Smith - the Aberdeen at P. game alone :faf:

Disagree in part about the first goal - he is certainly to blame, but put yourself in his position a fast ball into the box and lots of Motherwell players charging at you ... not a Hibby in sight - didn't help matters.

greenlex
23-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Disagree in part about the first goal - he is certainly to blame, but put yourself in his position a fast ball into the box and lots of Motherwell players charging at you ... not a Hibby in sight - didn't help matters.
You said it yourself a fast ball into the box. The six yard box. Irrespective of who is or isnt around you go to meet it. If you cant catch it you punch it as hard as you can. Its indicative of the decision making on the park at the moment and is part down to lack of confidence. I do feel in Smiths case its probably 75% lack of ability though.

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 09:55 AM
You said it yourself a fast ball into the box. The six yard box. Irrespective of who is or isnt around you go to meet it. If you cant catch it you punch it as hard as you can. Its indicative of the decision making on the park at the moment and is part down to lack of confidence. I do feel in Smiths case its probably 75% lack of ability though.

Fair point, Brown wouldn't have been beaten by it, I feel - he's a great shot stopper - his kicking (miserable as it is) cannot be the sole reason he is not in the team - don't get that at all.

greenlex
23-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Fair point, Brown wouldn't have been beaten by it, I feel - he's a great shot stopper - his kicking (miserable as it is) cannot be the sole reason he is not in the team - don't get that at all.
I dont get it either. There must be more to it than just the kicking. Injury or up to no good or something.

The Voice Of Reason
23-01-2011, 10:22 AM

It is the 6 yard box, he should be commanding it, end of.

The guy is a dud, up there with De Graaf.

Something must be wrong behind the scenes with Brown....either that or CC is actually trying to get the sack (or is completely incompetent).

sahib
23-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I dont get it either. There must be more to it than just the kicking. Injury or up to no good or something.

Or sold subject to medical or something.:worried:

eastmainsmsh
23-01-2011, 10:34 AM
If that had been Ma-kalambay there would have been 10 pages about him on here by now.

Is this just another indication that many supporters just don't care any more?

When you consider the stick that previous keepers have received and deservedly so it seems that Smith is getting off lightly yet he could easily be the worst of the lot.

We could have had a draw yesterday if Brown had been in goals.

Yves was a better keeper than lot of them even Brown .....destroyed confidence he will be a cracking keeper i bet at swansea

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Calderwood has proved beyond doubt he does not have a clue. Stevie wonder wouldn't have that clown anywhere near a jersey at easter road, yet he actually drops the most consistent keeper we have had in years for him. All that while we still have Graham Stack on the books. Shocking, absolutely shocking.

SMAXXA
23-01-2011, 11:20 AM
How anyone can defend that clown is beyone me, regardless of how many plares were infront of him he should have saved it, schooldboy stuff its unreal. I agree with the comments re brown how ge is not in the team is beyond me, really starting to think were are f&cked, canny buy a goal and cant keep them out. Bad combination!

How bad were some of the attempts on goal, Rankin, Zouma, Nish, Mcbride unreal.

Capt Mainwaring
23-01-2011, 03:46 PM
How Smith ever managed to get near the First XI after the 6- 6 game last season is beyond me.

He's a bungling clown of the highest order. No command of his area, inept handling and punching, and inspires no confidence in defenders or fans alike. Root him out of the club at the first opportunity.

I read in Calderwood's Interview that he thinks he has 3 good goalkeepers at the club and they are all competing for the position. That's worrying!!

Wake up Colin - idiots like Smith will get us relegated and you sacked!!!

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 03:53 PM
If you haven't seen it yet - it really is that bad !!

What are you doing Smith ? :rolleyes:

Brown or Stack for the rest of the season.

Brown if fit :agree:

rj hibs
23-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Maka was much better because he could redeem himself for his mistakes. Smith is a joke, he just flaps whenever a cross come near him and he has no redeeming qualities.

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Maka was much better because he could redeem himself for his mistakes. Smith is a joke, he just flaps whenever a cross come near him and he has no redeeming qualities.

Not particularly bothered about defending Smith, but he has done nothing on a par with the clown that was Makalambay - I refer again to the Aberdeen game ( how did he redeem himself for that one by the way?) or the Hearts one or the St Mirren one or ... still doesn't really matter now.

Anyway if Brown is injured or in the huff or whatever - we only have Smith because Stack still has a back injury apparently: so we have no choice, unless we play one of the field players in goal?.

millarco
23-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Not particularly bothered about defending Smith, but he has done nothing on a par with the clown that was Makalambay - I refer again to the Aberdeen game ( how did he redeem himself for that one by the way?) or the Hearts one or the St Mirren one or ... still doesn't really matter now.

Anyway if Brown is injured or in the huff or whatever - we only have Smith because Stack still has a back injury apparently: so we have no choice, unless we play one of the field players in goal?.

Saved the penalty in the second half of the Aberdeen game and had a good record at Tynie, 2 clean sheets and MOTM performances out of 3 IIRC. Don't really want to get back into the Maka debate as there isn't much point, but for me Smith blends into the overall mediocrity at the club just now. Doesn't have any real strengths, decent shot stopper but no more than that. Should have been binned in the summer along with Stack, at least both should be gone this time round. Brown has been the only decent performer this season, a bit ridiculous that he seems to have been dropped given the alternatives. Hope he's back for Wednesday night.

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 04:17 PM
If Smith was in goals for the recent derby it would have been at least 5v0.

Our record of keepers Vs the keepers the yams have had over the years is a cringe worthy.

Jim44
23-01-2011, 04:18 PM

I agree our defenders left Smith isolated but I still think a decent keeper would have easily saved it. I reckon Smith wasn't looking at the ball because he was bricking himself and had his eye on the Motherwell players.

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Saved the penalty in the second half of the Aberdeen game and had a good record at Tynie, 2 clean sheets and MOTM performances out of 3 IIRC. Don't really want to get back into the Maka debate as there isn't much point, but for me Smith blends into the overall mediocrity at the club just now. Doesn't have any real strengths, decent shot stopper but no more than that. Should have been binned in the summer along with Stack, at least both should be gone this time round. Brown has been the only decent performer this season, a bit ridiculous that he seems to have been dropped given the alternatives. Hope he's back for Wednesday night.

Sure - anyway, it seems we are stuck with Smith, because Brown being dropped must be for a reason (?) and unless that is resolved we only have Smith. If confidence is a problem in the team generally (as I believe it is) then Smith is as good or as bad as the rest of them. If he plays I hope he plays well, I'd rather have Brown in goal though.

Holmesdale Hibs
23-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I think the defense are collectively at fault for both goals.

That aside, Brown is one of our most consistent performers and possibly our player of the season. So, on those grounds, he should never have been dropped.

Might be ***** at kicking but so are the rest of the team at the moment. I'm not convinced its that much of an issue but if it is then I'd rather see a defender taking the kicks than have Brown dropped.

benrocky
23-01-2011, 04:27 PM
How Smith ever managed to get near the First XI after the 6- 6 game last season is beyond me.

He's a bungling clown of the highest order. No command of his area, inept handling and punching, and inspires no confidence in defenders or fans alike. Root him out of the club at the first opportunity.

I read in Calderwood's Interview that he thinks he has 3 good goalkeepers at the club and they are all competing for the position. That's worrying!!

Wake up Colin - idiots like Smith will get us relegated and you sacked!!!

That's exactly what he wants re making somthing like 30 odd changes to team in last 6 games asking to be fired so blatant.

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I think the defense are collectively at fault for both goals.

That aside, Brown is one of our most consistent performers and possibly our player of the season. So, on those grounds, he should never have been dropped.

Might be ***** at kicking but so are the rest of the team at the moment. I'm not convinced its that much of an issue but if it is then I'd rather see a defender taking the kicks than have Brown dropped.

We are really bad at marking wide set pieces.

We are confused - do we man mark ? Are we defending zonal or are we playing the offside trap.

The ball that was delivered was easily catchable if Smith hadn't fallen over and acted like it was his 1st ever game in goals.

99% Smiths Fault

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Anyone think Gordon Marshall could help the keepers?:wink:

IWasThere2016
23-01-2011, 04:51 PM
The 'goalkeeping' for the first goal is pathetic.

Smith is utterly useless and Yogi's worst signing - just ahead of Hart and De Graaf .. All three are on decent wages too :grr:

How CC could re-instate Smith for the Ayr game and then give him the jersey again is just staggering!

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 04:57 PM
The 'goalkeeping' for the first goal is pathetic.

Smith is utterly useless and Yogi's worst signing - just ahead of Hart and De Graaf .. All three are on decent wages too :grr:

How CC could re-instate Smith for the Ayr game and then give him the jersey again is just staggering!

Correct of course, but we are kidding ourselves on if we lay it all at his door: 3 Motherwell players charge the ball - not a Hibs man in sight apart from Smith...the problems are much more deep-rooted than "it's the goalie's fault", surely?

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Correct of course, but we are kidding ourselves on if we lay it all at his door: 3 Motherwell players charge the ball - not a Hibs man in sight apart from Smith...the problems are much more deep-rooted than "it's the goalie's fault", surely?

Charge the goalie ?

Come on - if he can't stand up and catch a ball under a little bit of pressure - the Motherwell players were around the 6 yard box. Smith was on his line.

We didn't follow runners but that should have made it easier in a strange way - less bodies in the way.

Smith was at fault for the goal :greengrin

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Charge the goalie ?

Come on - if he can't stand up and catch a ball under a little bit of pressure - the Motherwell players were around the 6 yard box. Smith was on his line.

We didn't follow runners but that should have made it easier in a strange way - less bodies in the way.

Smith was at fault for the goal :greengrin

I fully accept his bad goalkeeeping - I just keep wondering what our guys were doing? :na na:

greenlex
23-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I fully accept his bad goalkeeeping - I just keep wondering what our guys were doing? :na na:
Giving him space to come and collect?:greengrin

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Expecting the "goalkeeper" to make a routine save I would see any keeper on Sunday make down my local park ? :greengrin

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Giving him space to come and collect?:greengrin

Ah, this is why our guys held back - OK got it ... at last! :agree:

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Expecting the "goalkeeper" to make a routine save I would see any keeper on Sunday make down my local park ? :greengrin

Are any of them available then ? :cool2:

WhileTheChief..
23-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Was told by an SPL player from another club that Brown and CC had a huge argument after the Celtic game and that he's finished with us. Stack still injured so that only leaves Smith. Maybe the story of loooking at another keeper makes sense.

No idea if true or not.

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Are any of them available then ? :cool2:

:greengrin

Not as far as I am aware - they have heard about the Hibs goalkeeping curse. :shocked:

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2011, 05:40 PM
In the Aberdeen game he kicked at Millar to get a foul which he would got 99 times out of 100 ... He's that useless he'll likely be playing in the premiership next year.
He was too good for you pal and too good for the Brain of Britain that binned him!

Stop it,:faf: even if Swansea get promoted, he will be on the bench at best, but probably punted to Wrexham or Port Talbot. :wink:

GreenCastle
23-01-2011, 05:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9371171.stm

All 3 views are horror shows :agree:

hibeedonald
23-01-2011, 06:07 PM
we literally had all the chances! can see why Colin is being a wee but positive compared to recent weeks

Wotherspiniesta
23-01-2011, 06:27 PM
we literally had all the chances! can see why Colin is being a wee but positive compared to recent weeks

We had all the chances after conceding two soft goals and Motherwell taking their foot off the gas.

Just like the game at Aberdeen. Just like the game at Ayr. Just like the game at Inverness.

We just keep gifting teams a lead.

Oh, and Graeme Smith is hopeless. Worse than Zibi.

PaulSmith
23-01-2011, 06:28 PM

The game was over after 'well scored their first goal, compounded by another a few mins later. It's irrespective how Hibs played thereafter IMO.

McCalls's Motherwell hadn't scored again anyone prior to yesterday.

We need 3 players that will lead the club out of the sheite and to take onto next season, the chances of this are slim.

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Just seen the highlights..

I thought that Smith was chucking games before but now I'm CONVINCED!

What a ****ing joke, terrible, laughable, embarrasing at the 1st and not any better at the 2nd..

Mind you, CC is the joker playing him!

WTF!?

Rankin's miss in the 2nd half too?

Seen better stuff today with the Hibs.net tea
than what was served up yesterday!!

Why pick players he's told to find new clubs?

Pathetic and inept management..

down the slope
23-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I see Maka's agent is back on here again and highjacking the thread , Smith might be bad but i have never seen him jump over the ball and a gift a goal. Anyway the BBC highlights-or lowlights are up and we had more chances than them ,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9371171.stm

There seems a woefull lack of confidence and there are players out there who should not be near our team but we have what we have until the new season, what we also lack is a bit of fire in the belly-Hamilton get points where we curl up and die so running a form line through the two teams at the moment it does not look good but then again my betting form aint that good, just ask the bookies !.

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 06:40 PM
In the Aberdeen game he kicked at Millar to get a foul which he would got 99 times out of 100 ... He's that useless he'll likely be playing in the premiership next year.
He was too good for you pal and too good for the Brain of Britain that binned him!

This sort of "logic" is exactly like Maka's goalkeeping - something's wrong with it.:na na:

marinello59
23-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Just seen the highlights..

I thought that Smith was chucking games before but now I'm CONVINCED!

What a ****ing joke, terrible, laughable, embarrasing at the 1st and not any better at the 2nd..

Mind you, CC is the joker playing him!

WTF!?

Rankin's miss in the 2nd half too?

Seen better stuff today with the Hibs.net tea
than what was served up yesterday!!

Why pick players he's told to find new clubs?

Pathetic and inept management..

Worse than Zemmama's? Was it pathetic inept management to play him?

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm guessing the Swansea manager knows better than you :wink:

By all accounts Maka's a decent guy, so if he's got all the mistakes out of his "system" good luck to him :greengrin

yekimevol
23-01-2011, 06:58 PM
this boy is worse than zibi !!!!!!!!

Hiber-nation
23-01-2011, 07:09 PM
He'll never get mistakes out his system.But he'll still be recognised as a top goalie.
Did you see the Liverpool game yesterday?
Reina had two or three really bad errors of judgment .. Would have looked bad if goals resulted. Got a clean sheet and not a word about what might have happened.
He's considered to be one of the best in the world.
I guess in football you weigh up the pros and cons of a player and make your choice.
Nice bloke, Smith I hear. :greengrin

Maka just edges him, then Dorus De Vries then Reina.

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 07:10 PM
He'll never get mistakes out his system.But he'll still be recognised as a top goalie.
Did you see the Liverpool game yesterday?
Reina had two or three really bad errors of judgment .. Would have looked bad if goals resulted. Got a clean sheet and not a word about what might have happened.
He's considered to be one of the best in the world.
I guess in football you weigh up the pros and cons of a player and make your choice.
Nice bloke, Smith I hear. :greengrin

Fair point - didn't see the Liverpool game, indeed even the mighty Oliver Kahn was known to make mistakes - but don't tell him I told you:greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BvKbdAZHTk (Numbers 3, 2 and 1 - now this is the type of "motivated" goalkeeper we need)

burghhibs
23-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Please PLease Please never let SMITH play for HIbs again!!!!:taxi

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Worse than Zemmama's? Was it pathetic inept management to play him?

Has Zouma been openly told to find a new club?

Nut!

Don't know how people can blindly defend repeated instances of ineptitude from CC..

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Has Zouma been openly told to find a new club?

Nut!

Don't know how people can blindly defend repeated instances of ineptitude from CC..

Who are the players that have all been openly told they can leave?

BEEJ
23-01-2011, 08:22 PM
All we know from CC is that every player in that situation 'knows where they stand' - or words to that effect.

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2011, 08:25 PM
All we know from CC is that every player in that situation 'knows where they stand' - or words to that effect.

Cheers - I hadn't seen a list or anything so wondered where all these "openly told he can leave" comments were coming from.

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2011, 08:25 PM

McBride, Rank, Hogg, Nish..

joebakerforever
23-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Has there been anything in the media regarding why Brown was replaced ?

If not, perhaps some of those lazy tv/newspaper journos should be asking Calderwood what the reason was for Brown's absence.

Like the majority on here I find it unbelievable that Brown was dropped because of performance levels ?

Mind you I noticed Hogg was on the subs bench whilst Stephens was left in the cold again :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2011, 08:29 PM
McBride, Rank, Hogg, Nish..

That looks like a good place to start to me. 3 of them would be on my list of the 1st 5 I'd want rid off as well.

Well done the manager.

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2011, 08:32 PM
That looks like a good place to start to me. 3 of them would be on my list of the 1st 5 I'd want rid off as well.

Well done the manager.

But why keep playing players he's asked to find new clubs as he doesn't rate them :doh:

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2011, 08:34 PM
But why keep playing players he's asked to find new clubs as he doesn't rate them :doh:

I'd imagine it's cos there's nobody else just now? I'd also suspect he hoped that they'd show some professionalism and still try a bit.

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I'd imagine it's cos there's nobody else just now? I'd also suspect he hoped that they'd show some professionalism and still try a bit.

Well there's other options available than the 3 I mentioned, hence why they've hardly kicked a ball between them in weeks..

Why would any of these guys bother their erse fir CC after him telling them that?!

They've got NO future at Hibs so they certainly won't want to risk a serious injury playing for us which would leave them unemployed in a few months..

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Well there's other options available than the 3 I mentioned..

Why would any of these guys bother their erse fir CC after him telling them that?!

They've got NO future at Hibs so they certainly won't want to risk a serious injury playing for us which would leave them unemployed in a few months..

Why would they try? To try and get another job? As it stands they are out of work in May and their performances over the last wee while mean they'll likely be moving into a part-time job.

I'm not sure who the other (better) options would be tbh.

gunny1875
23-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Im new to hibs.net and im frsustrated just like all hibbys cos this season is going the same way as 98, this lot are worse.the priority in my eyes is the training ground and how the team is set up, everyone should know there job , i agree our keepers are mince but they are are part of a shocking defence, CC was an international defender, how hw cannny sort it out is part of the problem.

nortonhibby
23-01-2011, 09:06 PM
We are about to sign a new keeper watch this space:flag:

KiddA
24-01-2011, 01:16 AM
It looked like he just let the first goal go in :confused:

My 11 year old step son could have saved that and he is not even a keeper :agree:

Gala Foxes
24-01-2011, 04:43 AM
no surprises with Smith - should never have got to wear the jersey again after Ross County away last season and 6-6 shambles at Fir Park

Cropley10
24-01-2011, 07:05 AM
It looked like he just let the first goal go in :confused:

Smith is at it. He must be. He cannot be that bad.

I have serious doubts about Smith - he should never play for Hibs again. End of.

Judas Iscariot
24-01-2011, 09:19 AM

I have serious doubts about Smith - he should never play for Hibs again. End of.

:agree:

Hard at it the Hertz ****..

The Voice Of Reason
24-01-2011, 12:03 PM

I think he actually is that bad....it is frightening.

He should never play for Hibs again. Useless oaf.

basehibby
24-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not getting into the "have a go at Smith" routine but suffice to say, going by recent form, I believe that if Brown had been in goals he may well have prevented BOTH of Well's goals.

This asks big questions of Calderwood - you could actually say that the difference between winning and losing that game was ....
1) Calderwood - for needlessly dropping Brown and hence arguably costing the side 2 goals.
2) The Ref - for not allowing advantage at the penalty when Rankin seemed about to score, and having stopped play prematurely, only awarding a yellow card to the Motherwell player who handled deliberately in the box.

Of course Zemama and Smith were also culpable, but their mistakes would not have happenned if it wasn't for the 2 points outlined above.

JimBHibees
24-01-2011, 03:46 PM

I would imagine putting them in the shop window hoping someone will try and sign them. Thought Nish seemed to be trying harder than previously on Saturday, won a few headers also. I would have hoped Nish and/or Rankin could possibly be makeweights in any deal for Rooney though I wouldnt be surprised if Mixu wants to take Nish back to Killie as I think Sammon will be away this window probably to Celtic.