PDA

View Full Version : Decision Making .............

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 12:10 AM
CC has failed at every turn .

1. Allegedly told Nish and McBride they can go yet continues to play them.
This must have a knock on effect as if I thought I was staying yet numpties get a game before me I would be worried for my future spreads uncertainty.

2. Drops Brown WTF arguably MOM last few games he played. Okay kicking suspect. Pulls Smith in from nowhere he shaky as F*** against Ayr yet keeps his place and costs us opening goal.

3. Right back as BH said it is like the Hokey Cokey Hart Thicot Hogg and Wotherspoon all tried. Thicot the only one who has looked anywhere near comptent yet dropped, then comes back.

4. Played Deek up front on his own on 3 or 4 occasions WTF

5. Played Duffy upfront on his own WTF

6. Played rankin at all WTF

7. Makes totally random changes to personnel and positions on a game by game basis anything from 2 - 7 changes per game. WTF

8. Has absolutely No idea of his best 11 after 3 months here. (no matter how poor they maybe)

9. No goals in 4 games before today drops Deek and plays only one upfront.

10. He took the Hibs job.

I have no confidence even if we stay up we can improve and play good football under CC I hope he proves me wrong. I want to be in his camp but boy is he making it tough to stand up for him as each decision appears more bizarrie than the last.

snooky
23-01-2011, 12:14 AM

This must have a knock on effect as if I thought I was staying yet numpties get a game before me I would be worried for my future spreads uncertainty.

2. Drops Brown WTF arguably MOM last few games he played. Okay kicking suspect. Pulls Smith in from nowhere he shaky as F*** against Ayr yet keeps his place and costs us opening goal.

3. Right back as BH said it is like the Hokey Cokey Hart Thicot Hogg and Wotherspoon all tried. Thicot the only one who has looked anywhere near comptent yet dropped, then comes back.

7. Makes totally random changes to personnel and positions on a game by game basis anything from 2 - 7 changes per game. WTF

8. Has absolutely No idea of his best 11 after 3 months here. (no matter how poor they maybe)

I have no confidence even if we stay up we can improve and play good football under CC I hope he proves me wrong. I want to be in his camp but boy is he making it tough to stand up for him as each decision appears more bizarrie than the last.

Must admit - all very valid points.
The nearest we've been to a settled side has been nae subs at half-time.

Monts
23-01-2011, 12:28 AM

Key word there

Are you sure theres not an injury involved?

Tries our established right back, not quite good enough. Tries to get a better replacement from last seasons stand-in RB, our captain, and a CH that can play RB. How can he know who to put at RB without trying them. Its not his fault its a problem position that hasnt been addressed since whitaker left. Although he should be looking for a replacement.

Our best striker. Playing with 5 in MF so we are harder to beat. You can surely see the logic

A different approach to the above strategy as Riordan not getting goals at the moment.

Every manager has played him since he arrived. There must be a reason.

Random? Or trying to change a losing team?

Do you know our best 11?

No goals means that Deek isnt scoring, so why is he immune from the drop?

i'll give you that one

:flag:

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 12:32 AM
:flag:

So No Problem then :wink:

CC making all the right moves :greengrin

snooky
23-01-2011, 12:32 AM
"3. Right back as BH said it is like the Hokey Cokey Hart Thicot Hogg and Wotherspoon all tried. Thicot the only one who has looked anywhere near comptent yet dropped, then comes back.

Tries our established right back, not quite good enough. Tries to get a better replacement from last seasons stand-in RB, our captain, and a CH that can play RB. How can he know who to put at RB without trying them. Its not his fault its a problem position that hasnt been addressed since whitaker left. Although he should be looking for a replacement."

Personally, I would say Willie Miller. It's been that long.

Monts
23-01-2011, 12:39 AM
So No Problem then :wink:

CC making all the right moves :greengrin

Not at all. He hasnt got it right yet, but he is trying and i can see what he is doing. Its not just random decisions, but he has a massive task ahead of him, and its not going to be fixed over night.

He has made mistakes, but so does every manager. His are being magnified greatly as the players arent working for him.

Monts
23-01-2011, 12:40 AM
"3. Right back as BH said it is like the Hokey Cokey Hart Thicot Hogg and Wotherspoon all tried. Thicot the only one who has looked anywhere near comptent yet dropped, then comes back.

Tries our established right back, not quite good enough. Tries to get a better replacement from last seasons stand-in RB, our captain, and a CH that can play RB. How can he know who to put at RB without trying them. Its not his fault its a problem position that hasnt been addressed since whitaker left. Although he should be looking for a replacement."

I went for whitaker as he was an automatic selection, but your right. He was never fully accepted as a decent right back while at hibs.

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 12:41 AM

Key word there I think it is well reported

Are you sure theres not an injury involved? CC quoted on Hibs website

Tries our established right back, not quite good enough. Tries to get a better replacement from last seasons stand-in RB, our captain, and a CH that can play RB. How can he know who to put at RB without trying them. Its not his fault its a problem position that hasnt been addressed since whitaker left. Although he should be looking for a replacement. Thicot dropped for what reason? Then randomly brought back

Our best striker. Playing with 5 in MF so we are harder to beat. You can surely see the logic Forgive me in all the time Deek has been at Hibs has he played this role? It did not work the 1st time why try another 3 times

A different approach to the above strategy as Riordan not getting goals at the moment. Never a lone striker in 1000 years and you know it

As far as I know every manager has dropped him :greengrin

Random? Or trying to change a losing team? You tell me if the players will not be confused or unsettled be constant change

Do you know our best 11? I think I could give it a decent stab and I would give them 3 or 4 games to prove me wrong :greengrin

No goals means that Deek isnt scoring, so why is he immune from the drop? No but try playing him up front with a partner

i'll give you that one Thanks :greengrin

Monts
23-01-2011, 12:53 AM

Key word there I think it is well reported Fair enough

Are you sure theres not an injury involved? CC quoted on Hibs website Hibs are well known for keeping things close to their chest. Try the PM board.

Tries our established right back, not quite good enough. Tries to get a better replacement from last seasons stand-in RB, our captain, and a CH that can play RB. How can he know who to put at RB without trying them. Its not his fault its a problem position that hasnt been addressed since whitaker left. Although he should be looking for a replacement. Thicot dropped for what reason? Then randomly brought back Bringing a different dimension to the back 4, who seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet. Changes need to be made.

Our best striker. Playing with 5 in MF so we are harder to beat. You can surely see the logic Forgive me know when in all the time Deek ha been at Hibs has he played this role? It did not work the 1st time why try another 3 times A lack of any real striking options and a midfield that cant cope with only 4. Can barely cope with 5.

A different approach to the above strategy as Riordan not getting goals at the moment. Never a lone striker in 1000 years and you know it Has to try something to get goals

As far as I know every manager has dropped him :greengrin Touche!

Random? Or trying to change a losing team? You tell me if the players will not be confused or unsettled be constant change Possibly, but with the performances being put in, players dont deserve to keep their place

Do you know our best 11? I think I could give it a decent stab and I would give them 3 or 4 games to prove me wrong :greengrin And if it resulted in 4 losses, then your pretty *****ed

No goals means that Deek isnt scoring, so why is he immune from the drop? No but try playing him up front with a partner
Again, it takes a player away from the midfield, and we have to stop the opposition as much if not more than we need to push forward.

i'll give you that one Thanks :greengrin
No probs :greengrin

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Forgot to add it was very bad decision to say

"I enjoyed what we did with and without the ball today"

" I enjoyed the game even though we lost 2 -0 "

Bad decision :agree:

And we can agree to disgree on the other points

matty_f
23-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Not at all. He hasnt got it right yet, but he is trying and i can see what he is doing. Its not just random decisions, but he has a massive task ahead of him, and its not going to be fixed over night.

He has made mistakes, but so does every manager. His are being magnified greatly as the players arent working for him.

I think the players are working for him, but a couple of things are conspiring against him just now.

The first is that for some of the players, working hard isn't enough - they're not good enough footballers to get by on hard work alone, and when the more talented players in the team aren't cutting it, then these guys' poorer ability stands out all the more.

Secondly, the total lack of confidence at Hibs just now. The players are firmly in the fans' firing line and none of them want to be the person to make the next mistake, so everything is very slow, very deliberate, and because of that teams are taking advantage and making life very difficult for them (as you would expect.)

Thirdly, we don't have much (if anything) in the way of inspirational players. We miss a Rob Jones type character who can spur the rest of the team on with an inspirational performance. Most of the other SPL sides have at least one in their side and that's one of the things that is making as difference.

Monts
23-01-2011, 12:58 AM
I think the players are working for him, but a couple of things are conspiring against him just now.

The first is that for some of the players, working hard isn't enough - they're not good enough footballers to get by on hard work alone, and when the more talented players in the team aren't cutting it, then these guys' poorer ability stands out all the more.

Secondly, the total lack of confidence at Hibs just now. The players are firmly in the fans' firing line and none of them want to be the person to make the next mistake, so everything is very slow, very deliberate, and because of that teams are taking advantage and making life very difficult for them (as you would expect.)

Thirdly, we don't have much (if anything) in the way of inspirational players. We miss a Rob Jones type character who can spur the rest of the team on with an inspirational performance. Most of the other SPL sides have at least one in their side and that's one of the things that is making as difference.

Cant argue with any of that. When i said they are not working for them, i meant not working out the way he wants, rather than effort.

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 01:00 AM

Totally agree on the 2nd point but it is up to CC to encourage the players to play without fear but chopping and changing the team aint gonna help that at all.

matty_f
23-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Cant argue with any of that. When i said they are not working for them, i meant not working out the way he wants, rather than effort.

Cool, I agree in that respect.

Totally agree on the 2nd point but it is up to CC to encourage the players to play without fear but chopping and changing the team aint gonna help that at all.

No, I don't think changing the team helps either. I think Calderwood probably wanted to have a look at the players and get an idea of what his best 11 was over the first few weeks that he was in charge. Unfortunately, none of the players have hit any kind of form at all, and so he's probably had to look at different combinations, different formations etc to try and get the one that best fits this group of players.

We do need a settled side, though - I've been saying that since Collins was in charge!

Sammy7nil
23-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Cool, I agree in that respect.

No, I don't think changing the team helps either. I think Calderwood probably wanted to have a look at the players and get an idea of what his best 11 was over the first few weeks that he was in charge. Unfortunately, none of the players have hit any kind of form at all, and so he's probably had to look at different combinations, different formations etc to try and get the one that best fits this group of players.

We do need a settled side, though - I've been saying that since Collins was in charge!

I heard during the Liverpool game commentary that the Pool side of 1979 only used 15 players in the league.

snooky
23-01-2011, 01:09 AM
[/B]

I heard during the Liverpool game commentary that the Pool side of 1979 only used 15 players in the league.

Likewise the League winning Dundee United side used 13 players, I believe.
As for Hibs, the Tornados and the FF teams picked themselves.
Says it all, IMO.

matty_f
23-01-2011, 01:14 AM
[/B]

Likewise the League winning Dundee United side used 13 players, I believe.
As for Hibs, the Tornados and the FF teams picked themselves.
Says it all, IMO.

:agree:

I reckon if you stopped 20 Hibs fans before the game on Wednesday and asked them who the left back is, you'd get 3 or 4 different answers - same right across the park at the moment.

Smaller squad with a tighter first team is the way forward, that's how you get team spirit, cohesion, organisation, and fluidity in your play.

CmoantheHibs
23-01-2011, 01:26 AM

Couldnt agree more.I think there are players trying but when confidence is at its lowest ebb then things tend to go against you.For sure there is a lack of character in the squad but a few good signings in key positions and things may change big time.

hibiedude
23-01-2011, 08:29 AM

Can't argue with the points your raise but it can't just be we have the wrong man in charge yet again

We need top to bottom changes starting with petrie then the players and the way the is being run- the wage cap in place will always have us buying sub-standard players.

Hibs have won just eight points from a possible 39 since Colin Calderwood took over and that alone tells us he's the wrong man.

Assistant manager Derek Adams is starting to show his frustration at the lack of passion /commitment coming from the players.

You only have to listen to Calderwood’s post match interviews when states the players played well in patches when we all know that’s rubbish……why cant he slate the players publicly because telling them things will improve for the better isn’t working in fact its getting worse.

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 09:27 AM
You only have to listen to Calderwood’s post match interviews when states the players played well in patches when we all know that’s rubbish……why cant he slate the players publicly because telling them things will improve for the better isn’t working in fact its getting worse.

I wasn't at the game, but on the radio the commentators also suggested that we played well in patches and had control of a lot of the game; on the Hibs TV highlights we also seemed to be playing well moving forward - we had a fair few chances/opportunities and with better finishing we should have had a couple of goals at least. This is not rubbish, surely? Calderwood also said in his post-match interviews that everybody can see what went wrong, but he is - in all fairness - also entitled to point out what went right on the park. Slating players devoid of any confidence in public will not help an already worsening situation. Confidence is an important factor in playing football, I don't understand why CC is not getting more out of players that can play much better, but I do understand his attempts to not paint an entirely black picture . Calderwood may not be getting everything right, but not everything is wrong.

matty_f
23-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I wasn't at the game, but on the radio the commentators also suggested that we played well in patches and had control of a lot of the game; on the Hibs TV highlights we also seemed to be playing well moving forward - we had a fair few chances/opportunities and with better finishing we should have had a couple of goals at least. This is not rubbish, surely? Calderwood also said in his post-match interviews that everybody can see what went wrong, but he is - in all fairness - also entitled to point out what went right on the park. Slating players devoid of any confidence in public will not help an already worsening situation. Confidence is an important factor in playing football, I don't understand why CC is not getting more out of players that can play much better, but I do understand his attempts to not paint an entirely black picture . Calderwood may not be getting everything right, but not everything is wrong.

Good post. :agree:

hibiedude
23-01-2011, 09:58 AM

I hear what your saying but our form isn’t just down to lack of confidence-playing players that have been told that if they can find a club they can leave ……. That tells me that they are not in the manager’s future plans…..but they get a game

The Radio commentators also mentioned the words woeful when describing our play as did BBC final score summing up.

There seems to be a lottery each week regarding who plays …..Surly finding a settled team is just as important as having a team that’s confidant.

PeeJay
23-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I hear what your saying but our form isn’t just down to lack of confidence-playing players that have been told that if they can find a club they can leave ……. That tells me that they are not in the manager’s future plans…..but they get a game

The Radio commentators also mentioned the words woeful when describing our play as did BBC final score summing up.

There seems to be a lottery each week regarding who plays …..Surly finding a settled team is just as important as having a team that’s confidant.

They may not be in CC's future plans, but they are on the payroll - if he feels he can use them he should - thought McBride was OK yesterday - as was Nishy, even Rankin had his moments (from what I saw or heard, that is).

The rotation principle is something practised at other clubs - even ones who are on a roll (Bayern München over here for example) - personally I think he's trying to fool the opposition, as they never know who's going to turn out for us on match day :rolleyes:

You're correct about woeful - we can all see that, still I think confidence shouldn't be underrated - Riordan's game at Ayr was awful, but then he looked so nervous - unlike him really, I feel.

MrSmith
23-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Actually, I think Petrie is interfering in team selection! He has probably told CC to play all the players at some point to gain some interest from other clubs in the hope he can get some money for them!!

This is what a business man would do and will make perfect sense to MT Petrie.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-01-2011, 10:18 AM
If CC dropped every player from the first team squad he's told to find a new club in the past month, we'd struggle to get a full XI on a Saturday.

He's p1ssing with the stunted, shrivelled, wart-infected, lazy and limp cock that he's got at the moment. A good scrub (clearout) and a couple of viagras (new signings) and we'll stiffen up no problem.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Actually, I think Petrie is interfering in team selection! He has probably told CC to play all the players at some point to gain some interest from other clubs in the hope he can get some money for them!!

No chance.

matty_f
23-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Absolute drivel. Petrie's best chance of making money it's keeping the team in the spl, not flogging under-performing players.
When will people accept that petrie isn't some scrooge figure, miserly going around the football club trying to make life difficult for everyone in some grand plan to milk the club out of every last penny?

MrSmith
23-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Well that's the gamble eh!

Pray you can stay in the SPL with the players at your disposal while putting them in the shop window in hope to sell them on!

Dangerous game to play however, its dangerous times down Easter Road way!

greenlex
23-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Some of the decision making on the park is a much bigger problem than decision making elsewhere IMO.
The decision making particularly in the final third smacked of a team without any confidence whatsoever. Stating the obvious I know but true never the less.

truehibernian
23-01-2011, 11:02 AM

If you pop into The Bailie you can perhaps see if Willie fancies dusting down the boots, taking oot the falsers, and getting stripped........drinks in there now and again and is a top man. Maybe see if we could get Calum Milne on the other flank to to scare the opposition into urinating into their shorts :greengrin

EVENTUALLY
23-01-2011, 11:11 AM
CC needs to decide who his best team are and stick with them, that's the first thing. Then he needs to drill and drill and drill a formation and stick with it.

He appears to prefer Dickoh, Hanlon, Murray and Riordan ahead of the others in the squad. Fine. Of the rest I would suggest that Zemmama, Wotherspoon, Booth and Miller provide a decent technical level to be amongst the next picks. No doubt Thornhill will play as soon as he is fit. The goalie position is up for grabs but IMHO it is between Brown and Stack (CC has blundered in bringing Smith back, but at least he now knows that he does not inspire confidence). Galbraith is the only guy who offers pace.
I think Welsh, Stephens Duffy and Byrne should be around the bench.

He needs to go and get a big Centre Forward from somewhere who has balance, strength and is savvy. Nish and Trakys should never have been anywhere a Hibs shirt in their lives. The £2million pound slush fund that is being used to avoid the requirement of accessing an overdraft needs dipping into to get Rooney in Now.

Hibs are in big big trouble and next week is huge. Rangers were excellent against Hearts and will be hurting having lost that game, not to mention the wounds Hibs inflicted at Ibrox. Dundee Utd are a very dogged team and I think Houston is a good tactician who will set his team up to get a quick goal against us as everyone can see the massive affect it has on the team and support.

E.T. is a Hibee
23-01-2011, 11:11 AM
:agree:

I reckon if you stopped 20 Hibs fans before the game on Wednesday and asked them who the left back is, you'd get 3 or 4 different answers - same right across the park at the moment.

Smaller squad with a tighter first team is the way forward, that's how you get team spirit, cohesion, organisation, and fluidity in your play.

If I was asked I would say "we dont have one".

snooky
23-01-2011, 11:19 AM
CC needs to decide who his best team are and stick with them, that's the first thing. Then he needs to drill and drill and drill a formation and stick with it.

He appears to prefer Dickoh, Hanlon, Murray and Riordan ahead of the others in the squad. Fine. Of the rest I would suggest that Zemmama, Wotherspoon, Booth and Miller provide a decent technical level to be amongst the next picks. No doubt Thornhill will play as soon as he is fit. The goalie position is up for grabs but IMHO it is between Brown and Stack (CC has blundered in bringing Smith back, but at least he now knows that he does not inspire confidence). Galbraith is the only guy who offers pace.
I think Welsh, Stephens Duffy and Byrne should be around the bench.

He needs to go and get a big Centre Forward from somewhere who has balance, strength and is savvy. Nish and Trakys should never have been anywhere a Hibs shirt in their lives. The £2million pound slush fund that is being used to avoid the requirement of accessing an overdraft needs dipping into to get Rooney in Now.

Hibs are in big big trouble and next week is huge. Rangers were excellent against Hearts and will be hurting having lost that game, not to mention the wounds Hibs inflicted at Ibrox. Dundee Utd are a very dogged team and I think Houston is a good tactician who will set his team up to get a quick goal against us as everyone can see the massive affect it has on the team and support.

:top marks On the button.

truehibernian
23-01-2011, 11:28 AM
If I was asked I would say "we dont have one".

Totally agree, and not just with the left back area.

Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, United......all have settled centre half pairings, week in, week out.

Our midfield changes like the weather and has done for three seasons. We have no "stick on" right mid or left mid. We have no strike pairing that week in, week out, you could hang your hat on to nick a goal or two.

Our keepers must feel like it's a tombola, but that said, it was utterly ridiculous and mismanagement to allow Hughes to sign as many for an SPL club.

Some of the youngsters have been good enough (based on what we have seen this last year), the likes of Lee Currie must be spewing when he sees McBride and Ranks get first pick. Booth was always good enough for me, and Stephens looks fit and athletic.

Far too many pro's (and I use the term loosely) at the club too. Top to toe there has been football mismanagement and a distinct lack of football knowledge and research done into the signings that have been sanctioned and negotiated.

I honestly think that the club would benefit from a Director of Football, rather than have five bloody goalkeepers !!! As I posted yesterday, the Board need to look closely at their failings in recruitment too.........would any of us here, responsible for recruiting, put a guy/girl into a mid term position, who had had 13 jobs in 10 years. Would you hire a guy whose sickness record over a two year period showed up for work 25 times due to illness and sickness ?? Cue Michael Hart........and so on..........and so on............what about our "dot cotton" keeper Graham Stack......would you sign a professional into any position who had only shown what he/she is all about 7 times in 2 years at 4 different employers ???

The Board sanctioned these moves, and gave the manager far too much respect (Hughes) in choosing good candidates........all in the hope that he uncovered a "gem"......it's really not rocket science to see that there were no gems in that bunch, just wee lumps of coal !

greenlex
23-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, United......all have settled centre half pairings, week in, week out.

Our midfield changes like the weather and has done for three seasons. We have no "stick on" right mid or left mid. We have no strike pairing that week in, week out, you could hang your hat on to nick a goal or two.

Our keepers must feel like it's a tombola, but that said, it was utterly ridiculous and mismanagement to allow Hughes to sign as many for an SPL club.

Some of the youngsters have been good enough (based on what we have seen this last year), the likes of Lee Currie must be spewing when he sees McBride and Ranks get first pick. Booth was always good enough for me, and Stephens looks fit and athletic.

Far too many pro's (and I use the term loosely) at the club too. Top to toe there has been football mismanagement and a distinct lack of football knowledge and research done into the signings that have been sanctioned and negotiated.

I honestly think that the club would benefit from a Director of Football, rather than have five bloody goalkeepers !!! As I posted yesterday, the Board need to look closely at their failings in recruitment too.........would any of us here, responsible for recruiting, put a guy/girl into a mid term position, who had had 13 jobs in 10 years. Would you hire a guy whose sickness record over a two year period showed up for work 25 times due to illness and sickness ?? Cue Michael Hart........and so on..........and so on............what about our "dot cotton" keeper Graham Stack......would you sign a professional into any position who had only shown what he/she is all about 7 times in 2 years at 4 different employers ???

The Board sanctioned these moves, and gave the manager far too much respect (Hughes) in choosing good candidates........all in the hope that he uncovered a "gem"......it's really not rocket science to see that there were no gems in that bunch, just wee lumps of coal !
Putting aside your Director of Football paragraph are you suggesting that Petrie or the Board should have interfered with the footballing side when the manager wanted to sign players rather than back him?:confused:

snooky
23-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Dross? :cool2:

hibiedude
23-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Davie Proven piece in the NOTW is hard but true;

Colin Calderwood relying on this Hibs team to save his job stating trigger happy cheif executive Rod Petrie has emptied a succesion of managers while flogging every decent player the club produces .

he goes on to say he's seen some poor Hibs teams over the years but none with the lack of guts we saw at Ayr in midweek

Now we have a shiny new Ground at Easter Road but no team to fill it.......time to put the teamsheet before the balance sheet.

truehibernian
23-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Putting aside your Director of Football paragraph are you suggesting that Petrie or the Board should have interfered with the footballing side when the manager wanted to sign players rather than back him?:confused:

In a way, yes I am, but it would be better that these discussions about targets are with someone with really good football knowledge.

I am perhaps being simplistic yes, but we signed players who over seasons had had limited appearances at the top level, had been injured, or had off field problems. It's a recipe for disaster IMHO.

Of course I take the point that there would be times where the manager's opinions and job would be questioned and undermined........but we all should be working for the benefit of the club, and there are times when even the most stubborn of managers need to compramise or be told "no John, don't like the look of this one mate".

You watch some first division games in Scotland and tell me that players at Dunfermline, Raith, Falkirk or Dundee are any less good than the likes of Hart and Trakys ? These are the leagues we really should be looking at, and signing the young talent there, who want to progress on to bigger things. We stopped doing that years ago and I don't know why.

I do think it would help having someone who could work alongside the manager, even researching targets and sourcing scouts. But I do take your point too.

snooky
23-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Davie Proven piece in the NOTW is hard but true;

Colin Calderwood relying on this Hibs team to save his job stating trigger happy cheif executive Rod Petrie has emptied a succesion of managers while flogging every decent player the club produces .

he goes on to say he's seen some poor Hibs teams over the years but none with the lack of guts we saw at Ayr in midweek

Now we have a shiny new Ground at Easter Road but no team to fill it.......time to put the teamsheet before the balance sheet.

Not a dig at your post hibiedude but ....

"Davy Provan, Gourock University. Studying the bleeding obvious"

He's my favourite pundit :not worth

:fibber:

greenlex
23-01-2011, 11:52 AM
In a way, yes I am, but it would be better that these discussions about targets are with someone with really good football knowledge.

I am perhaps being simplistic yes, but we signed players who over seasons had had limited appearances at the top level, had been injured, or had off field problems. It's a recipe for disaster IMHO.

Of course I take the point that there would be times where the manager's opinions and job would be questioned and undermined........but we all should be working for the benefit of the club, and there are times when even the most stubborn of managers need to compramise or be told "no John, don't like the look of this one mate".

You watch some first division games in Scotland and tell me that players at Dunfermline, Raith, Falkirk or Dundee are any less good than the likes of Hart and Trakys ? These are the leagues we really should be looking at, and signing the young talent there, who want to progress on to bigger things. We stopped doing that years ago and I don't know why.

I do think it would help having someone who could work alongside the manager, even researching targets and sourcing scouts. But I do take your point too.

I agree to an extent. I actually think that is why Derek Adams was brought in.
He should know whats what in the lower leagues and Calderwood should know down souths lower leagues.
I think we fell for the imbalance of looking down south after Mowbrays success in that market and was possibly one of the factors of appointing Coliins as manager with his experiences of not only England but abroad too. That actually brought us Thicot and Joneliet and Gutuessi to name three. They might have been outstanding successes if Collins had been better at utilising them.
DOF works abroad but for whatever reason even in England there is a resistance to use this system. Who knows maybe Hibs can trailblaze once more in Scotland and appoint one that works out.

hibiedude
23-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Not a dig at your post hibiedude but ....

"Davy Provan, Gourock University. Studying the bleeding obvious"
He's my favourite pundit :not worth

:fibber:

No offence taken :wink:

The point he is making is bleeding obvious we have sold all our assets and we have gone through a host of managers and were getting worse as each game goes by so perhaps the people making the decisions at the club (RP) are the ones that now need replacing. :wink: