PDA

View Full Version : NHC Aston Villa

PaulSmith
22-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Relegation trouble, then one impact signing, gives everyone a lift and they get 3 points and something to build on.

fatbloke
22-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Relegation trouble, then one impact signing, gives everyone a lift and they get 3 points and something to build on.

What happened?

PeterboroHibee
22-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Tbf they had a pretty good team to start with, just lacked a cutting edge up front.

I do agree with your point though, one or two good signings can give the whole place a lift. Not any old cheap dross but actually buying one or two bits of quality could be enough to get us out of the mess we are in (not that its going to happen however).

Judas Iscariot
22-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Deep in a relegation battle, one of the bigger clubs in England, so what does there chairman do?

Splashes the cash to buy a much needed striker from a rival league club who has just scored the winner tonight against Man City..

We're in the same situation..

But what do we do?

Now, before everyone gets there knickers in a twist I'm not suggesting RP starts buying players for ridiculous fees but we need new players..

Adam Rooney anyone?

Kaiser1962
22-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Deep in a relegation battle, one of the bigger clubs in England, so what does there chairman do?

Splashes the cash to buy a much needed striker from a rival league club who has just scored the winner tonight against Man City..

But what do we do?

Now, before everyone gets there knickers in a twist I'm not suggesting RP starts buying players for ridiculous fees but we need new players..

Adam Rooney anyone?

If Hibs sign Adam Rooney would you then be happy?

Ed De Gramo
22-01-2011, 06:38 PM

But what do we do?

Adam Rooney anyone?

True

We need a decent striker and we need a centre half.

Was gonna say Midfielder but we've got Thornhill so would be wrong for me to comment until judged

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2011, 06:40 PM
We need more than 1 midfielder.

Www1875hfc
22-01-2011, 06:42 PM
What chance 1 or 2 players will come in before wednesday.
A. To add to the gate
B. To appease the supporters

:dunno:

Bad Martini
22-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Why not play our best keeper for a start? First goal was down to the numpty between the sticks today. Ball bounced through him in an almost casper fashion and he flapped for the second......that changes the game, instills zero confidence = another loss.

Cost to play best keeper at ER right now = **** all.

Cost to play that numpty = contributed towards another loss....

Judas Iscariot
22-01-2011, 06:44 PM
If Hibs sign Adam Rooney would you then be happy?

Yes, would you?

Kaiser1962
22-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes, would you?

Absolutely.

But we need to toughen up as well. We are not looking forward to the physical contests that are coming our way whereas this is meat and drink to St. Mirren and Hamilton cos they do it most years.

Would be happier with a couple of yard dug type hairy arsed old pros who would kick their granny out the way though.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Absolutely.

But we need to toughen up as well. We are not looking forward to the physical contests that are coming our way whereas this is meat and drink to St. Mirren and Hamilton cos they do it most years.

Would be happier with a couple of yard dug type hairy arsed old pros who would kick their granny out the way though.

Simon Mensing

LancashireHibby
22-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I'd be pleased if we signed Rooney, but I'd be disappointed if he was our only signing apart from Thornhill.

matty_f
22-01-2011, 10:26 PM
We need more than 1 midfielder.

Yes please.

Simon Mensing

No thanks - hankering after players like Mensing, who has been knocking around the SPL for a while without troubling the interests of any of the bigger teams, is why we are in the position we're in.

By all means get a big tough barsteward in, but let's set out sights a bit higher, please.

jonny
22-01-2011, 11:20 PM

burst my 6 team accumulator for about £170. :grr:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Yes please.

No thanks - hankering after players like Mensing, who has been knocking around the SPL for a while without troubling the interests of any of the bigger teams, is why we are in the position we're in.

By all means get a big tough barsteward in, but let's set out sights a bit higher, please.

Football snobbery won't save us.

Mensing is exactly the type we need. It weakens a relegation opponent and he would bring the attitude for survival that our dressing room is lacking.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-01-2011, 11:40 PM

One 18m impact signing, what are you trying to say? Who comparatively speaking are you after?

sesoim
22-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Mensing is exactly the type we need. It weakens a relegation opponent and he would bring the attitude for survival that our dressing room is lacking.

I don't know much about Mensing, but I would agree with your sentiments. When teams get relegated they usually sign a couple battlers to help the team dig out results. These players are usually sold again once the job is done. Well, we probably need the same thing to save us from relegation.

Ideally I'd like every player we sign to be long term players that we can build a decent team around, but we have one serious job on our hands now - and I wouldn't be bothered who we sign at the moment as long as they can grind out results until the summer. Then we can build.

sesoim
22-01-2011, 11:48 PM
One 18m impact signing, what are you trying to say? Who comparatively speaking are you after?

Are there any more Sauzee's out there? :wink:

matty_f
22-01-2011, 11:59 PM

Mensing isn't the answer though, St Mirren have as much chance as us of going down. It's not snobbery, it's just trying not to throw good money after bad.

Like I said, we could do with a hard player in the side, but we need one better than Mensing, IMHO.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Mensing isn't the answer though, St Mirren have as much chance as us of going down. It's not snobbery, it's just trying not to throw good money after bad.

Like I said, we could do with a hard player in the side, but we need one better than Mensing, IMHO.

How about Essien. Would he do?

J-C
23-01-2011, 12:15 AM

The only difference being is Villa don't have a bunch of money grabbing wage thieves dragging the team down to a lower division, 1 good signing aint changing anything at ER.

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2011, 12:17 AM
How about Essien. Would he do?

That's a bit extreme but he'd be a great signing. Maybe it would be better if we looked for someone that might be within out budget though?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-01-2011, 12:27 AM
That's a bit extreme but he'd be a great signing. Maybe it would be better if we looked for someone that might be within out budget though?

Good idea.

Simon Mensing (Hamilton) might conceivably be within our budget.

matty_f
23-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Good idea.

So would several amateur players, if we're doing extremes maybe we could just go for one of the hard players from there?

I would like to think that there are players within our budget at a higher standard than Simon Mensing that we could bring to the club. No disrespect to Mensing, but we've taken players from 'smaller' SPL clubs over the last few years, and none of them have improved the side to any great degree.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-01-2011, 12:57 AM
So would several amateur players, if we're doing extremes maybe we could just go for one of the hard players from there?

I would like to think that there are players within our budget at a higher standard than Simon Mensing that we could bring to the club. No disrespect to Mensing, but we've taken players from 'smaller' SPL clubs over the last few years, and none of them have improved the side to any great degree.

Unashamed snobbery.

Mensing has a good range of passing. Scores goals. Can play in several positions. Good at set pieces. Experience of playing in the SPL. Experience of playing for SPL survival. Can tackle. Shows passion and drives his team on. Has dig and presence.

Dismissing the guy on account of playing for a "smaller" SPL club has a whiff of Old Firm supporter about it. What, specifically, is your objection? Other than he plays for a smaller club?

reservoir hibee
23-01-2011, 01:09 AM
i dont think snobbery is the word to use but i do agree with mattie f

we need someone who inspires the fans as well as the players around him in my opinion!!

i dont know enough about mensing...but from what i know personally i would not have him

matty_f
23-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Unashamed snobbery.

Mensing has a good range of passing. Scores goals. Can play in several positions. Good at set pieces. Experience of playing in the SPL. Experience of playing for SPL survival. Can tackle. Shows passion and drives his team on. Has dig and presence.

Dismissing the guy on account of playing for a "smaller" SPL club has a whiff of Old Firm supporter about it. What, specifically, is your objection? Other than he plays for a smaller club?

Because he's not good enough, IMHO. Nothing against signing players from smaller clubs if they're good enough, but a guy who's never hit the heights in the SPL and has flited around teams like St Mirren are not going to be good enough to get us out of this situation.

We've taken players like that already - Cregg is in a similar mould (at least he was when he was at Falkirk), didn't cut it at Hibs. McBride is on his way out, Rankin is one of the most criticised players in the side, closely followed by Nish. Remember David Van Zanten?

I couldn't give a toss if you think it's got a touch of the Old Firm about it, frankly, I'd rather have an OF attitude to signing players (i.e. try to sign the good ones), than the St Mirren or Hamilton attitude. If Mensing was that good St Mirren wouldn't be in the same relegation trouble we're in.

No problem buying from smaller clubs, or even buying players I haven't heard of. They just have to be good enough, Mensing isn't, IMHO.

HNA8
23-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Guys, this was a very interesting discussion about Simon Mensing, but it may be worth pointing out he plays for Accies, not St. Mirren.

:cool2:

matty_f
23-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Guys, this was a very interesting discussion about Simon Mensing, but it may be worth pointing out he plays for Accies, not St. Mirren.

All the more reason not to sign him then! :greengrin

The Falcon
23-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Your an Administrator? And you've been a member for EIGHT YEARS? And this is your FIRST POST? And you know who Simon Mensing plays for?

I think we should be told ........:-)

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-01-2011, 09:19 AM

:greengrin

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I stated in the thread earlier that nobody expects RP to pay millions of pounds for players but would it really cost THAT much to sign say Rooney now?

Him and a couple others could be the difference between us staying up rather than going down..

Bet the signing option is far more cost effective than the relegation option..

Or does RP know something we don't ans there's going to be NO relegation this year hence the lack of signings :hmmm:

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Good idea.

He might be. But is he worth the money? I'm not fussy if CC signs players I've heard of as long as they're going to improve the team.

PaulSmith
23-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Because he's not good enough, IMHO. Nothing against signing players from smaller clubs if they're good enough, but a guy who's never hit the heights in the SPL and has flited around teams like St Mirren are not going to be good enough to get us out of this situation.

We've taken players like that already - Cregg is in a similar mould (at least he was when he was at Falkirk), didn't cut it at Hibs. McBride is on his way out, Rankin is one of the most criticised players in the side, closely followed by Nish. Remember David Van Zanten?

I couldn't give a toss if you think it's got a touch of the Old Firm about it, frankly, I'd rather have an OF attitude to signing players (i.e. try to sign the good ones), than the St Mirren or Hamilton attitude. If Mensing was that good St Mirren wouldn't be in the same relegation trouble we're in.

No problem buying from smaller clubs, or even buying players I haven't heard of. They just have to be good enough, Mensing isn't, IMHO.

I'm sure that you'd have a much different opinion if we sign reserves from Notts Forest, players from Ross County...you know where I'm coming from, sorry its double standards IMO.

matty_f
23-01-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sure that you'd have a much different opinion if we sign reserves from Notts Forest, players from Ross County...you know where I'm coming from, sorry its double standards IMO.

You are missing my point, I'm not bothered where the player comes from do long as he betters the team. Mending, imho, won't. He's been around a good while and hasn't shown himself to be anything other than a bottom of the table player. There is limited potential there. Mowbray signed some of the best players I've seen at hibs, most of them were completely unknown but they were better than what we had.
That is all that matters to me. Mensing is not good enough I'm my opinion. He'd be like signing an ian black, paddy cregg, or john rankin. We need better.

HibeeSince85
23-01-2011, 07:07 PM
You are missing my point, I'm not bothered where the player comes from do long as he betters the team. Mending, imho, won't. He's been around a good while and hasn't shown himself to be anything other than a bottom of the table player. There is limited potential there. Mowbray signed some of the best players I've seen at hibs, most of them were completely unknown but they were better than what we had.
That is all that matters to me. Mensing is not good enough I'm my opinion. He'd be like signing an ian black, paddy cregg, or john rankin. We need better.

Exactly, what is this love in with a below average player, it's no snobbery from Matty, me or anyone else who thinks he's not up to the job, I guarantee you if we were to sign Mensing within 6 months he would be getting the same stick as the other below average players that Hibs are currently full of just now.

PaulSmith
23-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Exactly, what is this love in with a below average player, it's no snobbery from Matty, me or anyone else who thinks he's not up to the job, I guarantee you if we were to sign Mensing within 6 months he would be getting the same stick as the other below average players that Hibs are currently full of just now.

My point is , and its quite brutal, is that some posters on here would back almost anyone that the Board and CC signed tomorrow.

matty_f
23-01-2011, 07:47 PM
My point is , and its quite brutal, is that some posters on here would back almost anyone that the Board and CC signed tomorrow.
A hibs fan being optimistic about signings? well I never!
Fwiw, if cc and the board signed mensing tomorrow I'd be massively underwhelmed, but I'd still support him as a hibs player. I didn't want us to sign nish, because I knew what he was like as a player, and I was excited about de graaf as I didn't know about him and he'd come with a good pedigree.
Perhaps more people should just give up and label everything the club does as pish, that way nobody gets disappointed and we can all be miserable together.

reservoir hibee
23-01-2011, 07:52 PM
A hibs fan being optimistic about signings? well I never!
Fwiw, if cc and the board signed mensing tomorrow I'd be massively underwhelmed, but I'd still support him as a hibs player. I didn't want us to sign nish, because I knew what he was like as a player, and I was excited about de graaf as I didn't know about him and he'd come with a good pedigree.
Perhaps more people should just give up and label everything the club does as pish, that way nobody gets disappointed and we can all be miserable together.

jeezo is it really that bad just now???

glad im on the other side of the world

nortonhibby
23-01-2011, 08:49 PM

er you got a spare 18 million in your pocket ? an impact signing for us yes Kennny Miller 100k a week ? yes he would have scored yesterday:greengrin do you think RP Would sanction this ?

PaulSmith
23-01-2011, 09:02 PM
er you got a spare 18 million in your pocket ? an impact signing for us yes Kennny Miller 100k a week ? yes he would have scored yesterday:greengrin do you think RP Would sanction this ?

Aye, great reply. Taking it to the ridiculous extreme again.

Judas Iscariot
23-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Let's not talk ***** eh

The Falcon
24-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Let's not talk ***** eh

Theres a lot of that on here. I always thought that was the whole purpose of the thing?