PDA

View Full Version : who is correct, Yogi or board

DoonTheSlope
21-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Yogi on STV "give Colin investment, something I never had" and " I can't talk about the Stokes deal, however it was a good deal" inferring it was not expensive to the Hibernian board.

PaulSmith
21-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Yogi on STV "give Colin investment, something I never had" and " I can't talk about the Stokes deal, however it was a good deal" inferring it was not expensive to the Hibernian board.

Wonder why he can't talk about it, in fact why could Mixu not go into details either about his time at ER?
What have they both got to lose, is there some agreement that they are not allowed to in the pay off?

GreenCastle
21-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Watched it - said he had Mixu's players and only brought 3 in - McBride / Cregg and Stokes..

Yogi wasn't the right man and the results showed this but there is a common trend - that link between manager and board ( JC, Mixu, Yogi and the board).

There is probably a clause in the contract that they can't talk about it / sell the story.

Wotherspiniesta
21-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Something he never had?

Stokes, Miller, McBride, Cregg, Galbraith, Stack, Hart, Duffy, Smith, Brown, Dickoh...

:rolleyes:

greenlex
21-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Wonder why he can't talk about it, in fact why could Mixu not go into details either about his time at ER?
What have they both got to lose, is there some agreement in the pay off?
I would hope so Paul. It wouldnt be in the clubs interests to have details of transfer deals and the way we deal in the public domain. IMO.

DoonTheSlope
21-01-2011, 11:00 PM
I would presume there is a confidentiality clause in place some kind of deal agreed when they left. Financial penalty if they discuss certain club details, although I may be wrong the former managers not keen to go public.

ScottB
21-01-2011, 11:00 PM
How much more investment / how many more players did he need?

Seems to me he had more than enough from the supply side, perhaps if he had made better use of what he had!

greenlex
21-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Watched it - said he had Mixu's players and only brought 3 in - McBride / Cregg and Stokes..

Yogi wasn't the right man and the results showed this but there is a common trend - that link between manager and board ( JC, Mixu, Yogi and the board).

There is probably a clause in the contract that they can't talk about it / sell the story.
Are de Graff, Trakys, Stephens and Hart figments of my imagination?

GreenCastle
21-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Are de Graff, Trakys, Stephens and Hart figments of my imagination?

I think when Yogi said that he maybe meant players he bought ?

De Graff does sometimes come across as an optical illusion on the pitch sometimes :wink::greengrin

PaulSmith
21-01-2011, 11:05 PM
How much more investment / how many more players did he need?

Seems to me he had more than enough from the supply side, perhaps if he had made better use of what he had!

Without anyone going banannas at the question is their a list of players that left the club during Hughes reign.

Fletcher
Jones
Benji
Stokes

are the ones I can recall.

Gus Fring
21-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Rewound it on Sky+ to type out a few quotes

Started by saying "Its a tough place to work" and I got the impression he doesn't buy the excuse of the players not being CC's as he "Inherited Mixu's Players and only brought in McBride, Stokes and wee Paddy Cregg who's now at St Mirren"

When pressed on why its a tough place to work he said "Look at John Collins, he was made to sell 8-9 Million worth of players and won them a Cup Final but he's no there anymore either"

Also he seemed to think he should still be manager as he said "I got them 4th and into Europe and I sit here out of a job"

Had a wee pop at fans too "The word says it all, supporters, you canny criticise or bully players, their giving their best"

Summarised by saying we should "Gie Colin a chance, and gie him investment, something I never had,I got Stokes and I couldn't really tell you the deal, but it was a great bit of business, but gie him time to build his own team"

GreenCastle
21-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Started by saying "Its a tough place to work" and I got the impression he doesn't buy the excuse of the players not being CC's as he "Inherited Mixu's Players and only brought in McBride, Stokes and wee Paddy Cregg who's now at St Mirren"

When pressed on why its a tough place to work he said "Look at John Collins, he was made to sell 8-9 Million worth of players and won them a Cup Final but he's no there anymore either"

Also he seemed to think he should still be manager as he said "I got them 4th and into Europe and I sit here out of a job"

Had a wee pop at fans too "The word says it all, supporters, you canny criticise or bully players, their giving their best"

Summarised by saying we should "Gie Colin a chance, and gie him investment, something I never had,I got Stokes and I couldn't really tell you the deal, but it was a great bit of business, but gie him time to build his own team"

That sounds about right :agree:

Yes he did get into Europe but we were terrible for so long and that 6v6 game still makes me angry.

I wanted him and Mixu to do well but really wasn't sure they were the right choices.

Collins I feel was - but not supported properly.

Newhaven
21-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I got Stokes and I couldn't really tell you the deal

Nobody will come out from the club and admit it but Stokes was sold due to gambling issues and bring a negative influence on the team.

sesoim
21-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Hughes showing selective memory again. The wage bill last season was £4.8M, which is way more than Mowbray had to play with. True enough, Hibs didn't pay much for transfer fees, but I think in these days of the Bosman ruling that would be risky.

Based on wage bill alone, Hughes should have been getting better results from his team. Yes, he did get us to 4th, but as we all know, the teams was stinking from the end of January and still is. The fact that he signed a hell of a lot of duds didn't help.

Last week on the radio he was going on about trying to increase the quality rather than quantity at the club. Well why the hell didn't he just sign three decent players in the summer rather than stretch the wage budget out to sign 7 duds?

Frankly, I wish Hughes would b*gger off abroad and take a job like Bobby Williamson so we don't have to listen to him anymore.

Gus Fring
21-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Without anyone going banannas at the question is their a list of players that left the club during Hughes reign.

Ma-Kalambay
Fletcher
Jones
Benji
Stokes
McCormack
Cregg
Van Zanten
Chisholm

If memory serves

Also did yogi not sign Stack,Smith and Brown on his goalie binge and I think he signed Galbraith as well? So defo more than the 3 he claims, unless he meant thats who we paid fee's for,

He seems to be trying out a wee media career, he was Co-Commentator on BBC for the Celtic game and I'm sure he was a pundit on one of the televised games recently as well? Maybe the derby?

Mikey
21-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Yogi signed a lot more players than he mentions there. It's difficult for him to argue that he hadn't been backed.

He's right about the supporters though.

EskbankHibby
21-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I would presume there is a confidentiality clause in place some kind of deal agreed when they left. Financial penalty if they discuss certain club details, although I may be wrong the former managers not keen to go public.

So say nowt or tell us everything Yogi.

I find his response tiresome, tell us if you were ******* cos your hands were tied or your ******* cos your *******.

Being humpty cos you got the bullet does not count.

sesoim
21-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Yes he did get into Europe but we were terrible for so long and that 6v6 game still makes me angry.

I wanted him and Mixu to do well but really wasn't sure they were the right choices.

I reckon Collins MIGHT have been a decent manager - if he had already managed someone else first. I don't think he deserved to walk straight into the job without having done an "apprenticeship" first. Did he think he was above managing, say, a Raith or Cowdenbeath first? To me, all managers should do a year or two with a lower division club before they get a decent job anywhere.

Again, it comes back to this mentality some chairman have that if you've played for your country it is assumed that you will be a good manager. It's cost a lot of teams over the years and it's cost us a few times now.

Newhaven
21-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Ma-Kalambay - not missed
Fletcher - missed
Jones - missed
Benji - not missed
Stokes - missed
McCormack - not missed
Cregg - not missed
Van Zanten - not missed
Chisholm - not missed

If memory serves

Also did yogi not sign Stack,Smith and Brown on his goalie binge and I think he signed Galbraith as well?

He got rid of a lot of dead wood in that list.

Fletch and Jones were always going to leave and the Stokes saga is well documented

GreenCastle
21-01-2011, 11:24 PM
We really should have got 3rd last season after a good start but blew that and sneaked into 4th :agree:

NOVEMBER 2009 it all went seriously wrong - you could even argue further back then that things were going down hill.

Edit - FEB 2010 - Not November 2009.

matty_f
21-01-2011, 11:26 PM

I find his response tiresome, tell us if you were ******* cos your hands were tied or your ******* cos your *******.

:top marks

If there were people above him at the club working against him then we should know about it, but it contradicts what both he and the board were saying when he was under pressure.

To only rattle off a few names - even neglecting Liam f***ing Miller, who was a real coup for the club FFS! - is pretty poor and reeks of self-preservation.

Collins walked as well - Yogi makes out that he was sacked, he wasn't.

greenlex
21-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Nobody will come out from the club and admit it but Stokes was sold due to gambling issues and bring a negative influence on the team.

I get the feeling Yogi was being evasive about the incoming deal rather than the outgoing one Barry. Suits his I didnt get any investment speel now.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2011, 11:28 PM

Fletcher
Jones
Benji
Stokes

Fletcher
Stokes
Jones
O'Brien
Gray
McNeil
Chisholm
van Zanten
Cregg
Makalambay
McCormack
Benjelloun
Keenan
Campbell
Gow
Johansson
Park
Russell

Wotherspiniesta
21-01-2011, 11:30 PM
We really should have got 3rd last season after a good start but blew that and sneaked into 4th :agree:

NOVEMBER 2009 it all went seriously wrong - you could even argue further back then that things were going down hill.

Thats twice now.

Where are you getting this date from? February was when it went downhill. :aok:

ScottB
21-01-2011, 11:31 PM

Fletcher
Jones
Benji
Stokes

Plenty left, Fletch and Jones aside most weren't missed and Stokes was punted for his off field problems.

That isn't a sign of him not being backed, we got far longer out of Fletcher than anyone could have reasonably expected and a good deal, Jones made no secret of his desire to move South for family reasons, both fair enough.

Besides, the players left were replaced by the 10 odd Yogi wheeled in. If he's seeking to try and redeem himself on his transfer record, he's barking up the wrong tree! Brown aside I don't see a single one that would be worth staking his reputation on!

At the end of the day, he got to sign Stokes and Miller, who together are presumably the largest outlay on 2 players in some time in terms of fees, signing on fees and wages.

Newhaven
21-01-2011, 11:32 PM
O'Brien
Gray
McNeil
Keenan
Campbell
Gow
Johansson
Park
Russell

Good god - O'Brien and Keenan. They've done well since leaving Hibs :agree:

GreenCastle
21-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Thats twice now.

Sorry you are right - Feb 2010 was when results wise we really started to loose it.

I am not sure why I keep saying November ? :greengrin

Newhaven
21-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I get the feeling Yogi was being evasive about the incoming deal rather than the outgoing one Barry. Suits his I didnt get any investment speel now.

Ah cool Alex - wouldn't watch the programme if you paid me :greengrin

I must admit to being very surprised when Stokes came and made his debut at Falkirk in 2009

Wotherspiniesta
21-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Sorry you are right - Feb 2010 was when results wise we really started to loose it.

I am not sure why I keep saying November ? :greengrin

November is usually the time of year when things start going pear shaped for Hibs.

Fortunately we didn't have to worry about that this year though :thumbsup:

greenlex
21-01-2011, 11:38 PM
November is usually the time of year when things start going pear shaped for Hibs.

Fortunately we didn't have to worry about that this year though :thumbsup:
Oh yes we do its only January. :greengrin

sahib
21-01-2011, 11:40 PM

His negative influence got us into forth place. Thank goodness that has been lifted from the team. I sometimes think these are cover stories put out by the management. Like "weapons of mass destruction" etc.

The Harp Awakes
21-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I reckon Collins MIGHT have been a decent manager - if he had already managed someone else first. I don't think he deserved to walk straight into the job without having done an "apprenticeship" first. Did he think he was above managing, say, a Raith or Cowdenbeath first? To me, all managers should do a year or two with a lower division club before they get a decent job anywhere.

Again, it comes back to this mentality some chairman have that if you've played for your country it is assumed that you will be a good manager. It's cost a lot of teams over the years and it's cost us a few times now.

Totally agree with you. Collins tenure was the biggest chance Hibs have had for decades to break through and seriously challenge the Old Firm. However, his lack of management experience ended up damaging him and the board didn't back him so he walked.

I'd have JC back in a minute as he will have learned from the mistakes and he had the ambition to take Hibs to the next level at that time. Sadly having lost him our next level now is mid-table mediocrity.

greenlex
21-01-2011, 11:48 PM
His negative influence got us into forth place. Thank goodness that has been lifted from the team. I sometimes think these are cover stories put out by the management. Like "weapons of mass destruction" etc.
Couple of things Sahib if he had been a better pro.
a - it might have got us third or second
b-Maybe we are in the position we are in regards attitude because of the likes of him. All speculation on my part of course.

Jonnyboy
21-01-2011, 11:49 PM

:kettle:

The Harp Awakes
21-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Agreed. I could have put up with a gambler and a negative influence in our team if we continued to have a player who scores 20+ goals a season from scraps as he did last season + perform for us the way he did for the opposition last Saturday at Easter Road:rolleyes:

Selling Stokes at the start of the season has probably been one of the biggest mistakes the Hibs Board have made in recent years and has massively increased the pressure on themselves due to the predicament we find ourselves in now:cool2:

matty_f
21-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Totally agree with you. Collins tenure was the biggest chance Hibs have had for decades to break through and seriously challenge the Old Firm. However, his lack of management experience ended up damaging him and the board didn't back him so he walked.

I'd have JC back in a minute as he will have learned from the mistakes and he had the ambition to take Hibs to the next level at that time. Sadly having lost him our next level now is mid-table mediocrity.

Collins second-biggest flaw as a manager (after the obvious alienating all the players issue), is that he hadn't enough experience of wheeling and dealing in the transfer market, and had a very limited knowledge of the market in which Hibs are able to deal in.

He could obviously tell a player - he wanted Naismith and Barry Robson, but didn't work out that we had virtually no chance of getting them. It meant that he ended up having agents sending loads of players on trial and picking up first teamers from there, who were clearly not good enough.

RIP
21-01-2011, 11:54 PM
We have had 85 players in the past 5 years and less than a dozen were brought in by the coaches

Yogi only got Stokes, Cregg and McBride

Collins got Makalambay, Craig got o'Brien IIRC

Mixu - JJ

Is that it? My memory is going.

Board meddling hastened the departures of Collins, Mixu and Hughes

Working at Hibs is like having one arm tied behind your back

Nae wonder Paw Broon told Petrie tae bolt

sahib
21-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Couple of things Sahib if he had been a better pro.
a - it might have got us third or second
b-Maybe we are in the position we are in regards attitude because of the likes of him. All speculation on my part of course.

Stretching credulity springs to mind. :greengrin

RickyS
22-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Agreed. I could have put up with a gambler and a negative influence in our team if we continued to have a player who scores 20+ goals a season from scraps as he did last season + perform for us the way he did for the opposition last Saturday at Easter Road:rolleyes:

Selling Stokes at the start of the season has probably been one of the biggest mistakes the Hibs Board have made in recent years and has massively increased the pressure on themselves due to the predicament we find ourselves in now:cool2:

could not agree more:top marks

greenlex
22-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Stretching credulity springs to mind. :greengrin

Absolutely. :agree:
If he had been a better Pro he wouldnt have been at Hibs in the first place. :wink:

marleyhib
22-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Collins second-biggest flaw as a manager (after the obvious alienating all the players issue), is that he hadn't enough experience of wheeling and dealing in the transfer market, and had a very limited knowledge of the market in which Hibs are able to deal in.

He could obviously tell a player - he wanted Naismith and Barry Robson, but didn't work out that we had virtually no chance of getting them. It meant that he ended up having agents sending loads of players on trial and picking up first teamers from there, who were clearly not good enough.

To be fair tho we could all tell Naismith and Barry Robson were good players and we also knew we couldn't afford their wages.

I think you are right about his lack of experience, maybe a bit naive/arrogant too.

ScottB
22-01-2011, 12:14 AM
We have had 85 players in the past 5 years and less than a dozen were brought in by the coaches

Yogi only got Stokes, Cregg and McBride

Collins got Makalambay, Craig got o'Brien IIRC

Mixu - JJ

Is that it? My memory is going.

Board meddling hastened the departures of Collins, Mixu and Hughes

Working at Hibs is like having one arm tied behind your back

Nae wonder Paw Broon told Petrie tae bolt

Eh? Are you suggesting every other player that has come to the club arrived with no say on the part of the managers??

Just off the top of my head, Hughes spoke to Miller personally about him coming to the club for example, never mind the vast hoard of ex Falkirk players we got, unless they too were just bought by the Tasche too aye?

The only 2 players I've seen any suggestion of being Board signings are Rankin and Nish.

hibsbollah
22-01-2011, 12:19 AM

This argument does my nut in. He scored goals. Lots of them. Thats the influence he had on the team. Everyone knows he drank and gambled. So what? Those two vices are hardly unknowns in scottish football.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Where they are now;

Fletcher-Wolves (English Premiership)
Stokes-Celtic (Scottish Premier League)
Jones-Scunthorpe (English Championship)
O'Brien-Swindon (English League One)
Gray-Ostersunds (Swedish fourth division)
McNeil-Raith Rovers (Scottish first division)
Chisholm-Arbroath (Scottish third division)
van Zanten-St Mirren (Scottish Premier League)
Cregg-St Mirren (Scottish Premier League)
Makalambay-Swansea (English Championship)
McCormack-Ross County (Scottish first division)
Benjelloun-Ismaily (Egyptian Premier League)
Keenan-Adelaide United (A-League)
Campbell-Dumbarton (Scottish second division)
Gow-Notts County (English League One)
Johansson-TPS Turku (Finnish Premier League)
Park-Clyde (Scottish third division)
Russell-unknown

I think it's fair to say that, with the exception of Fletcher, Stokes and probably Makalambay, none of those players who left whilst Hughes was manager are now playing for a club as big as Hibs.

I think that says it all about the kind of players that we had under Hughes and I think the same can be said of the current lot.

Going through them, if they were to leave tomorrow, which division of British football would our current players be playing at next week?

My guesses are;

Brown-English Championship
Smith-English League One/lower SPL
Stack-Lower English Championship/SPL
Thicot-lower English League One/Scottish first division
Dickoh-English League One/lower SPL
Hart-lower SPL/English League One
Hanlon-lower English Championship/SPL
Hogg-English League One/lower SPL
Murray-lower English Championship/upper English League One
Wotherspoon-lower English Championship/SPL
Galbraith-lower English Championship/SPL
Zemmama-average English Championship side
de Graaf-English League One/Scottish first division
Rankin-English League One/lower SPL
Stevenson-English League One/Scottish first division
McBride-English League One/lower SPL
Miller-lower English Championship/SPL
Nish-English League One/SPL
Riordan-average-lower English Championship
Trakys-lower English League One

I've not really seen enough of Booth, Byrne, Horner, Welsh, Taggart, Stephens and Duffy yet to make an informed opinion.

sahib
22-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Eh? Are you :agree:Just off the top of my head, Hughes spoke to Miller personally about him coming to the club for example, never mind the vast hoard of ex Falkirk players we got, unless they too were just bought by the Tasche too aye?

The only 2 players I've seen any suggestion of being Board signings are Rankin and Nish.
:agree:
Most of our players were just dumped outside the stadium by their former clubs. Petrie didn't have the heart to turn them away. He is a ****ing saint that man. De Graaf was rescued from the north sea by a fishing boat after his last club set him adrift in a dinghy.

ScottB
22-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Most of our players were just dumped outside the stadium by their former clubs. Petrie didn't have the heart to turn them away. He is a ****ing saint that man. De Graaf was rescued from the north sea by a fishing boat after his last club set him adrift in a dinghy.

I always knew the Tasche was a shrewd operator, but damn, such a kind hearted soul too!

We are truly honoured to bask in the glow of his mouser.

Removed
22-01-2011, 12:32 AM

I had recorded that and just watched it. I really don't know how Yogi has the brass neck to sit there on national tv and say ''I got them to 4th and now I'm out of a job''

Totally deluded :crazy: and it's a bit embarrasing imo

YetholmHibee
22-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Hughes showing selective memory again. The wage bill last season was £4.8M, which is way more than Mowbray had to play with. True enough, Hibs didn't pay much for transfer fees, but I think in these days of the Bosman ruling that would be risky.

Based on wage bill alone, Hughes should have been getting better results from his team. Yes, he did get us to 4th, but as we all know, the teams was stinking from the end of January and still is. The fact that he signed a hell of a lot of duds didn't help.

Last week on the radio he was going on about trying to increase the quality rather than quantity at the club. Well why the hell didn't he just sign three decent players in the summer rather than stretch the wage budget out to sign 7 duds?Frankly, I wish Hughes would b*gger off abroad and take a job like Bobby Williamson so we don't have to listen to him anymore.

Can't argue with that. Spot on.

There seems to be a lot of 'protecting my erse' from everybody lately.

It's no my fault, I did my bit perfectly. :rolleyes:

Removed
22-01-2011, 12:42 AM
This argument does my nut in. He scored goals. Lots of them. Thats the influence he had on the team. Everyone knows he drank and gambled. So what? Those two vices are hardly unknowns in scottish football.

If a player does what he is paid to do I really couldn't give a toss what he does in his private life as long as he stays within the laws of the land.

Stokes was paid to score goals. I pay to watch Hibs hopefully score more goals than the opposition and win football matches. What goes on down at East Mains, in their own homes, the casino or George Street is the least of my worries as long as the ball keeps on getting put in the back of the net.

ScottB
22-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Fact is, since Collins our best signings have been almost all eye bleedingly obvious; Riordan, Murray, Stokes, Brown, Miller on the odd occasion he bothers. Only Bamba stands out as a bit of an unknown that came good.

The rest were all average to middling. So it would appear that Mixu and Hughes at least could pick up a good player when they wanted to (though possibly only if it was a stupidly obvious one) but certainly Hughes seemed to want to sign as many players as possible, thus diluting the level of player he could get, I mean come on, 3 keepers in 6 months, 2 of them in one month! And only the last of them was good!

While it appears to have been something of a Hughes 'masterplan' to ship so many players out this summer, a fair number of them are duds he himself brought in. That says it all about his dealings in the transfer market!

ScottB
22-01-2011, 12:47 AM

If a player does what he is paid to do I really couldn't give a toss what he does in his private life as long as he stays within the laws of the land.

Stokes was paid to score goals. I pay to watch Hibs hopefully score more goals than the opposition and win football matches. What goes on down at East Mains, in their own homes, the casino or George Street is the least of my worries as long as the ball keeps on getting put in the back of the net.

Well aye, to an extent. But wasn't the stories about trying to borrow money off the squad, turning up drunk for training etc?

It's all well and good saying 'it's all fine as long as you keep scoring' but you end up either having one rule for one player and one rule for the rest, or accept everyone acting like that. Neither being a good option and indeed, may go someone to explaining the general state and attitude of our current crop as it is.

As far as I'm concerned these guys can do what they like in their own time, just as me and you can, but that life must stay at home and not infringe on their ability to do their jobs, just like any of the rest of us.

Removed
22-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Well aye, to an extent. But wasn't the stories about trying to borrow money off the squad, turning up drunk for training etc?

It's all well and good saying 'it's all fine as long as you keep scoring' but you end up either having one rule for one player and one rule for the rest, or accept everyone acting like that. Neither being a good option and indeed, may go someone to explaining the general state and attitude of our current crop as it is.

As far as I'm concerned these guys can do what they like in their own time, just as me and you can, but that life must stay at home and not infringe on their ability to do their jobs, just like any of the rest of us.

Stokes ''Can you lend me a few quid/couple of grand'' (edit as applicable as I don't know)

Player A: ''No''

Player B : ''No''

etc etc. How hard can that be?

And yes, there should be a code of conduct and penalty if it impacts on his ability to do his job. That's for the management to implement. I don't see the players turn up for training, I only read about it on here so take it with a pinch of salt. I saw him on the park on a Saturday though scoring goals. That's how I judge a player, not by some rumours, half truths and in the know stories on a message board.

ScottB
22-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Stokes ''Can you lend me a few quid/couple of grand'' (edit as applicable as I don't know)

Player A: ''No''

Player B : ''No''

etc etc. How hard can that be?

And yes, there should be a code of conduct and penalty if it impacts on his ability to do his job. That's for the management to implement. I don't see the players turn up for training, I only read about it on here so take it with a pinch of salt. I saw him on the park on a Saturday though scoring goals. That's how I judge a player, not by some rumours, half truths and in the know stories on a message board.

Indeed. But then conversely, I'm sure the Board were aware of his value, both on the pitch and as an asset. We all like to think of Petrie as the penny pinching type, so for him to allow such a guy to go on the cheap, however bad his conduct may or may not have been, it was obviously bad enough for the Board to be happy to let him go on the cheap.

But as you say, we only know dribs and drabs

Removed
22-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Indeed. But then conversely, I'm sure the Board were aware of his value, both on the pitch and as an asset. We all like to think of Petrie as the penny pinching type, so for him to allow such a guy to go on the cheap, however bad is contact may or may not have been, it was obviously bad enough for the Board to be happy to let him go on the cheap.

But as you say, we only know dribs and drabs

And what isn't known is often made up or exaggerated imo

Andy74
22-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Wow. Everyone suddenly saying the board have invested now when it suits to have a go at Hughes!

Toaods
22-01-2011, 02:43 AM

:agree:..as there is no official requirement to record a reason for the transfer of any player, I doubt that anyone on here or the media for that matter(note the lack of credible stories) would be able to defend themselves in a court if required, having stated the guy was sold because of.... A, B or C.

It's all chinese whispers and other such nonsese usually borne out of petty jealousy from lesser earning players.

All this alleged high-octane drinking, 'B'-ing and gambling has really ruined his career in the last year right enough...:faf:

Part/Time Supporter
22-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Can't argue with that. Spot on.

There seems to be a lot of 'protecting my erse' from everybody lately.

It's no my fault, I did my bit perfectly. :rolleyes:

Including the board.

Don't blame us, we've spent £3M on signing players.

(I don't doubt that's true, but its the purpose of saying it.)

The Falcon
22-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Last week on the radio he was going on about trying to increase the quality rather than quantity at the club. Well why the hell didn't he just sign three decent players in the summer rather than stretch the wage budget out to sign 7 duds?

Frankly, I wish Hughes would b*gger off abroad and take a job like Bobby Williamson so we don't have to listen to him anymore.

I think the managers, be it JC, Mixu or Yogi, all thought that they WERE signing decent players and its only, when events on the pitch prove they havent that they bitch and moan.

Stokes has been done to death and I agree that I could put up with him being a helmet if he scored 20+ goals a season but, when Celtic were interested, he was gone to the point of even not turning up for training with the rest of the squad so what could we do?

Comments on Hughes are spot on.

carnoustiehibee
22-01-2011, 09:29 AM
surely alot of the blame has to lie at the scouting system at hibs,:confused: and after that the managers for not saying "what him,he canny even run properly"

most of the players brought in over the last few seasons you wonder how the managed to make it pro in the first place.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Wow. Everyone suddenly saying the board have invested now when it suits to have a go at Hughes!

You couldn't make this up. There are thread after thread slaughtering the board for not backing the manager, then we have this one saying the opposite. :confused: :tee hee:

TornadoHibby
22-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Thats twice now.

Try December 2009 after the Aberdeen game away which we managed to win 2-0 thanks to a wonderful goalkeeping performance by Makalamby in horrible playing & handling conditions on the coldest day I have ever personally watched football! :agree: :cool2:

lapsedhibee
22-01-2011, 11:08 AM
most of the players brought in over the last few seasons you wonder how the managed to make it pro in the first place.

Bit harsh. Most were certainly not good enough for the upper end of the SPL, but some went on to perform perfectly adequately in lower leagues - for example Showumni when he moved down to the SFL.

matty_f
22-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Try December 2009 after the Aberdeen game away which we managed to win 2-0 thanks to a wonderful goalkeeping performance by Makalamby in horrible playing & handling conditions on the coldest day I have ever personally watched football! :agree: :cool2:

What were our results in january?

TornadoHibby
22-01-2011, 12:45 PM
What were our results in january?

Here's (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Fixtures/0,,10290~2009,00.html) a link for you to check those results out for yourself! :wink:

In my opinion, the rot had already set in by December 2009 and apart from one or two decent results after that, the slippery slope to where we are now had already been well & truly stepped onto! :agree:

11 wins out of 41 SPL matches up to last week's match is not exactly top 6 material now is it? :dunno:

matty_f
22-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Here's (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Fixtures/0,,10290~2009,00.html) a link for you to check those results out for yourself! :wink:

In my opinion, the rot had already set in by December 2009 and apart from one or two decent results after that, the slippery slope to where we are now had already been well & truly stepped onto! :agree:

11 wins out of 41 SPL matches up to last week's match is not exactly top 6 material now is it? :dunno:

No, it's bottom three material. Was anyone suggesting it was top 6 form?

TornadoHibby
22-01-2011, 12:57 PM
No, it's bottom three material. Was anyone suggesting it was top 6 form?

Of course not but you were perhaps trying to "persuade" me that my assessment of when the poor run started was premature I suspect! :agree: :cool2:

The Falcon
22-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Bit harsh. Most were certainly not good enough for the upper end of the SPL, but some went on to perform perfectly adequately in lower leagues - for example Showumni when he moved down to the SFL.

The guy at Falkirk was a different guy. If thats who your referring to. If not then I apologise.

greenlex
22-01-2011, 01:02 PM
The guy at Falkirk was a different guy. If thats who your referring to. If not then I apologise.
Doh!!! Every time. :greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
22-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Here's (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Fixtures/0,,10290%7E2009,00.html) a link for you to check those results out for yourself! :wink:

A win at Parkhead, a win at home to St Mirren and a demolition of Hamilton. That's a rot I could get used to! :cool2:

BEEJ
22-01-2011, 01:31 PM

I had recorded that and just watched it. I really don't know how Yogi has the brass neck to sit there on national tv and say ''I got them to 4th and now I'm out of a job''

Totally deluded :crazy: and it's a bit embarrasing imo
:agree: In denial. Preservation of the ego.

:hilarious

No-one could ever accuse you of being inconsistent on this one! Like a dug with a bone.

matty_f
22-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Of course not but you were perhaps trying to "persuade" me that my assessment of when the poor run started was premature I suspect! :agree: :cool2:
Yep. It gets earlier with time. Come next season we will have folk on here telling us we got 4th by being on a horrendous run from the start of the season.

WindyMiller
22-01-2011, 01:47 PM

And he, of course, has become management legend wherever he's went.
:rolleyes:

ScottB
22-01-2011, 01:55 PM
The amount of revisionism with regards to Collins on here is getting a bit much.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the guy, still do. In different circumstances I think he could have been a big hit with us or elsewhere.

But!

He started well, indeed, Collins team is about the only Hibs side in recent memory that could, for me at least, get stuck in and win ugly when needed. He won a Cup, obviously. However, towards the end our form had long since headed south, his signings throughout were abysmal, there's no other word for it, and his first choice signing targets were insane.

It's easy for us to blame Petrie for Collins failings, and while he undoubtedly played a role, his failure at the places he's went on to, and inability to secure a long term role speak volumes.

Collins would have been an ideal number 2 to an experience manager, or under an experienced guy as Director of Football, but I suspect his ego wouldn't have stood for it, nor a possible apprenticeship in the lower leagues.

TornadoHibby
22-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Yep. It gets earlier with time. Come next season we will have folk on here telling us we got 4th by being on a horrendous run from the start of the season.

I think if you were interested enough, which you won't be, to check my posts over the relevant period, you would find that I have not wavered from that Aberdeen game as being the definate start of the decline in my opinion! :wink: :cool2:

Do you really believe your second sentence sentiment? :confused:

IWasThere2016
22-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Of course, you'll fail to see Yogi's selective use of the facts :rolleyes:

IWasThere2016
22-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Yogi signed a lot more players than he mentions there. It's difficult for him to argue that he hadn't been backed.

He's right about the supporters though.

Really?!? He should recognise a bully right enough :cool2:

sixtwo
22-01-2011, 02:46 PM

That game made me angry too but when I think about it now, we scored 6 goals and got a point.
Going into the same fixture today I doubt we'll score one goal and doubt we will get a point!