PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood interview on hibs tv

Hibee87
21-01-2011, 10:26 AM
says brown smith and stack are all in contention for the number 1 spot.

brown was dropped on tuesday night to try and shake things up and keep a clean sheet. not being funny but WTF brown has probibly been our best player all season, kicking aside he has made some brilliabnt saves including the one that got us the replay in the frst place. If a change of keeper is going to be looked at the stack should be the number 1 back up. smith is murder and he proved that on tuesdya ngiht flapping at corners not catchign simple balls etc.

brown should be number one end of.

H18sry
21-01-2011, 10:44 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10290,00.html

Baldy Foghorn
21-01-2011, 10:52 AM
It amazes me that CC admits thats he needed to freshen things up, but drops the only player who has performed well consistently all season......

Why did Hibs also post that they have signed Thornhill pending a medical, when the lad is currently injured and could quite possibly fail said medical?

SMAXXA
21-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Begars Believe IMO, hes been our best player this season, kicking needs to improve tho. Shake things up, try shaking the other 10 diddys outfield up! I can see where he is coming from to an extent to find this winning formula but changing the keeper I wouldnt have though would have been the answer.

Stack on Saturday then?

PeeJay
21-01-2011, 10:54 AM
It amazes me that CC admits thats he needed to freshen things up, but drops the only player who has performed well consistently all season......

Why did Hibs also post that they have signed Thornhill pending a medical, when the lad is currently injured and could quite possibly fail said medical?

I think he dropped Brown for his inability to kick the ball - he's obviously looking at the whole picture - think it was the wrong move myself - he's the better shot stopper, maybe we should play the ball out from the back - on the ground?

JimBHibees
21-01-2011, 10:58 AM

I think they are assuming that he only has a short term injury which wont be a problem. If he fails a medical, he fails a medical and doesnt join. All they are saying is that all terms have been agreed and 99% will join. probably trying to put some positive news out there.

GreenCastle
21-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I think he dropped Brown for his inability to kick the ball - he's obviously looking at the whole picture - think it was the wrong move myself - he's the better shot stopper, maybe we should play the ball out from the back - on the ground?

He doesn't trust the defence :agree:

Brown is the more complete keeper - his kicking off the ground is terrible but least occasionally comes off his line and makes some very good saves.

Got a feeling Stack will play Sat...

Sir David Gray
21-01-2011, 11:09 AM
It really does beggar belief that he drops the one player out of the entire squad who has played consistently well all season.

Brown's the only player we have who could quite honestly go to the manager with a straight face and ask him why he was dropped.

If it wasn't for Mark Brown, we wouldn't have had that replay on Tuesday night because we would have been knocked out at Easter Road.

fishybeaver
21-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Think Stack may also play...when CC started he did say everyone would get a chance, think this would have a bearing on why Smith played against Ayr

Delboy*
21-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Smith is a rocket.

I like Stack, especially his mentality.

Now shoot me down in flames for this but...Brown looks decent and has pulled off some great saves but his kicking is just totally unacceptable for me.
To kick a ball a certain distance and to drop it into a selected area is such a basic skill that I just cant believe he is so bad at it.
Im not saying to bomb him for it, though he has to improve in this area if he is to be the established no1.

Its between Stack n Brown for me.
Smith must not play in our team.

How is the young lad coming on, anyone know?

smurf
21-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Mark Brown is by far the better goalkeeper. Kicking not the best but IMO it's probably the least important part of his job as a 'Goalkeeper'.

I think his dropping was a poor decision.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-01-2011, 11:19 AM
The fact that we even got to a replay was down to Brown. He gives our back four a bit of confidence. I was willing to believe that Brown was injured but at a time when we need consistency, surely dropping our only consistent player is a real head scratcher at best. Mind you, if we pile into the players for not doing the very basics, the Manager deserves it as well.

ps. Not saying that Brown would have saved the Ayr goal, but Smith had a rotten game. His gloves were about as sticky as they were in the 6-6 debacle.:rolleyes:

greenlex
21-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Pressurised by impatient fans I think. Highly unusual and unlike Hibs to say anything till the ink is dry. If it doesn't materialise it's just another stick to beat Petrie with IMO.

Bad Martini
21-01-2011, 11:20 AM
That is a ****ing criminal mistake to make.

Brown's the only player of late who has prevented losses from turning into humiliations.

Proves Calderwood does not have a ****ing clue.

ENDOF

matty_f
21-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Brown has been getting pelters for his kicking for the last couple of home games, he was putting us back under pressure time after time against Celtc, and while I agree that he is the best shot stopper out the three, he'd have fewer shots to stop if we kept the ball from the goalkeeper's distribution.

I don't blame Calderwood for trying it, though personally I'd have kept Brown in (and would re-instate Brown).

GreenCastle
21-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Stack has a presence but is a line keeper. Rarely comes out for anything.

Think about how Brown played at the derby and that will do for me.

His kicking needs improved and I agree I am not sure how you can be a pro without being able to kick the ball properly :confused:

The trouble we have had with GK's over the years I just want someone to do the basics - not much to ask.

Brown should be spending everyday at East Mains improving his kicking - you can see by the way he runs up he's going to shank it.

Delboy*
21-01-2011, 11:31 AM
That is a ****ing criminal mistake to make.

Brown's the only player of late who has prevented losses from turning into humiliations.

Proves Calderwood does not have a ****ing clue.

ENDOF

Would only be criminal if, after giving Smith the nod and witnessing himself first hand that he's a rocket, CC ever gives him a start again.

I like Brown and think it was harsh for him to have been dropped but am i the only one that has felt he has let in some goals that he should have saved, failed epicly to just kick the ball and looked shaky when dealing with passbacks?

truehibernian
21-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Have to play devils advocate here and agree with CC.

Brown has indeed made many good saves these last few games. However the defensive unit as a whole is still conceding goals, cheap ones at that, and there is not a commanding presence in that penalty box. CC is clearly showing his hand and saying that he is not impressed with anybody in the backline.

The clincher for me would have been Brown's consistently bad kicking, either from a back pass with time to deal, or indeed ball from hand. A professional goalkeeper should not find the byeline so consistently and put the ball directly out of play, sorry, but he shouldn't. It was picked up by all the pundits v Celtic too. This concedes needless possession, puts the team under instant pressure and get the fans agitated.

Good goalkeeper he certainly is, but he like all the others needs to know that his performance all round is below par. Harsh, but I think true.

Hibernian should not have as many goalkeepers as they do anyway.......a quite simply ludicrous decision by Hughes. Two solid keepers, a youthful understudy. At one point we had Smith, Stack, Brown, Maka and Flynn. Wages could have been put to far far greater use.

sahib
21-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Stack has a presence but is a line keeper. Rarely comes out for anything.

Think about how Brown played at the derby and that will do for me.

His kicking needs improved and I agree I am not sure how you can be a pro without being able to kick the ball properly :confused:
The trouble we have had with GK's over the years I just want someone to do the basics - not much to ask.

Brown should be spending everyday at East Mains improving his kicking - you can see by the way he runs up he's going to shank it.

If JC was still here, we would never have noticed the deficiency. He would have been throwing it out by hand and building from the back.

The Falcon
21-01-2011, 08:27 PM
If JC was still here, we would never have noticed the deficiency. He would have been throwing it out by hand and building from the back.

Agree although there are time that you need to clear your lines.

Most of the time you are only kicking away possession. Sometimes it comes of but mostly not.

HibeesLA
21-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Brown has been getting pelters for his kicking for the last couple of home games, he was putting us back under pressure time after time against Celtc, and while I agree that he is the best shot stopper out the three, he'd have fewer shots to stop if we kept the ball from the goalkeeper's distribution.

I don't blame Calderwood for trying it, though personally I'd have kept Brown in (and would re-instate Brown).

Could it be that he looked at a game against Ayr, and decided that this was a better game to try a keeper change, than against the likes of the strikeforce that Celtc have?

Also, we had Leighton who was a great shot stopper, all round pretty good keeper, but made you sick when someone passed the ball back to him. I don't remember as much outcry about Leighton as we have now about Brown.

PaulSmith
21-01-2011, 08:30 PM
what did CC say in regards to planning for this Jan transfer window?

greenlex
21-01-2011, 08:40 PM
what did CC say in regards to planning for this Jan transfer window?
Not sure Paul as I havent heard or saw it. Petire did say in his statement and I quote.
"We have been working consistently with Colin since he arrived to identify how we can improve things in this Transfer Window and again in the Summer. The lack of new faces so far is not a 'policy decision' or the lack of effort from the Manager and his coaching staff or willingness and resource from the Board. This is a difficult window in which to make changes and things tend to happen towards the end of the window rather than at the start of it. We've done it before and we will do it again."
They have been active since Calderwood was appointed.

PeterboroHibee
21-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Its good to have competition for places, but Smith certainly doesnt offer it. Hes such a terrible goalkeeper, really hope he isnt in goal against Motherwell.

Stacks a decent enough keeper but his injury problems mean hes going to be in and out of the team. Not really good enough for a first choice keeper, the back line needs to be consistant for any sort of understanding to be formed between the players (the fact ours drastically changes nearly every week is ridiculous, very poor management).

It was a poor decision by CC, maybe he did just want to have a look at another keeper but Browns been our best player, so harsh for him to be dropped. Yes his kicking isnt great, but if CC didnt insist on that horrible hoofing tactic, he could easily play the ball out to the defence.