PDA

View Full Version : At last! A signing! Matt Thornhill signs (Merged)

GloryGlory
21-01-2011, 09:04 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110121/thornhill-signs_2262950_2272077

Matt Thornhill. :thumbsup:

Edit: Still subject to medical!!!!

ArmadaleHibs
21-01-2011, 09:05 AM
hibs have confirmed the signing of thornhill from forrest subject to medical:flag:

lucky
21-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Its a start. Hopefully he turns out to be a player. I like the Tache line on the facilities in every release about signings

R'Albin
21-01-2011, 09:06 AM
it only took 21 days! still good signing by the sounds of it:thumbsup:

Cropley10
21-01-2011, 09:08 AM
No pressure on the young man eh!

col02
21-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Good luck to the young lad and a first chance for an assessment of Calderwoods signing policy. Hopefully a couple more on their way that will add a bit bite to our team.

ArmadaleHibs
21-01-2011, 09:14 AM
on forrest forums a few fans say they are sorry to see him leave as they thought he had a lot to offer. looks like we may have got a freeby with a bit of potential

jonny
21-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Great news :thumbsup:

PaulSmith
21-01-2011, 09:18 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110121/thornhill-signs_2262950_2272077

Matt Thornhill. :thumbsup:

Edit: Still subject to medical!!!!

Well done the Board..very unlike Hibs to confirm a signing subject to anything though but I sincerley hope that there are another 2 to come in.

jonny
21-01-2011, 09:19 AM
on forrest forums a few fans say they are sorry to see him leave as they thought he had a lot to offer. looks like we may have got a freeby with a bit of potential

It says "terms agreed with Nott'm Forest" on the website so doubt he's free, probably just a nominal fee though - anyhow, glad to see him arrive.
:flag:

spike220
21-01-2011, 09:19 AM
A 6ft 1" midfielder 22 years old who can score goals and put people through!

He will link up very well with some of young new talent pushing through.

Well done the board and CC, lets push ahead now with one or two more!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GGTTH

frazeHFC
21-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Finally :thumbsup:A new player.

ArmadaleHibs
on the forrest sites it states that its a free transfer. You may be right tho, even if theres a fee i would imagine its very little

EH6 Hibby
Hopefully he will be a good signing, it's a bit odd for this to be announced before the medical though is it not? Makes me think there won't be anyone else announced this weekend.

frazeHFC
21-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Finally :thumbsup:

GloryGlory
21-01-2011, 09:21 AM
A 6ft 1" midfielder 22 years old who can score goals and put people through!

GGTTH

When you put it like that, he sounds just like Edwin de Graaf! :greengrin

GloryGlory
21-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Hopefully he will be a good signing, it's a bit odd for this to be announced before the medical though is it not? Makes me think there won't be anyone else announced this weekend.

:agree: Probably just the pressure the club is under to be shown to be doing something.

PeeJay
21-01-2011, 09:23 AM
If he is so good why is he not getting a game - anyone know - just interested, I don't know the guy at all?

spike220
21-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I think this is strong indication that CC sees the problem is our midfield. They dont work hard enough to generate anything for the strikers (hence Deek playing out of position so often). The other problem is the Midfield let our defence get over run and dont tackle, we should be putting in more tackles in the midfield and less in the back four.

CRAZYHIBBY
21-01-2011, 09:24 AM
not hibs class:na na:

frazeHFC
21-01-2011, 09:24 AM
If he is so good why is he not getting a game - anyone know - just interested, I don't know the guy at all?

Well they have Moussi and Cohen in centre mid so hard to get in ahead of them.

Who cares though, hopefully he does it for us.

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2011, 09:25 AM
The Matty Jack role. But is he Hibs class?

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2011, 09:25 AM
not hibs class:na na:

Too quick for me.

matty_f
21-01-2011, 09:26 AM
A medical over the weekend-it's a pity we won't have him in time to play motherwell by the sound of it.

The rebuilding has begun, though...

spike220
21-01-2011, 09:27 AM
When you put it like that, he sounds just like Edwin de Graaf! :greengrin

I have seen a pint of milk turn quicker than de Graaf and he could not hit a barn door from 3feet!

SlickShoes
21-01-2011, 09:28 AM
If this guy isn't the second coming of Russell Latapy / Franck Sauzee then hes going to get pelters.

I hope everyone can give him a chance and not get on his back and hopefully he will enjoy his time at hibs.

Welcome to hibs!

IWasThere2016
21-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Fantastic :thumbsup:

ps - 2 more please in the next 10 days! :wink:

spike220
21-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Another thing this lad is 22, Edwin de Graaf is almost 31 years old he only gonna go downhill from here

MrRobot
21-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Fantastic... Now just Rooney, another midfielder and a couple defenders. Glad we finally signed somebody.

spike220
21-01-2011, 09:32 AM
If this guy isn't the second coming of Russell Latapy / Franck Sauzee then hes going to get pelters.

I hope everyone can give him a chance and not get on his back and hopefully he will enjoy his time at hibs.

Welcome to hibs!

Aye, I hope we give him at least 5-6 games before drawing any conclusions on the lad, he has got to find feet and settle in. Go on lad get into them!!!!!!!!

Steve20
21-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Good news. :thumbsup:

Another 3 or 4 please. :greengrin

Stuarty1875
21-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Good news at last.

Welcome to Hibs Matt :thumbsup:

spike220
21-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I haven't been so excited about a signing in a long, long time!

I have got a good feeling on that this is the begining of something special.

:flag:

Hibbyradge
21-01-2011, 09:38 AM
I wonder how much we paid for him.

He scored 5 goals in 38 appearances for Forest, but hasn't played for the first team since August.

From the Forest website:

Name: Matt Thornhill
Nationality: English
Date of Birth: 11/10/1988
Height: 6' 1" (185cm)
Weight: 13st 10lbs (87.16kg)
Previous
Clubs: Brighton, Cheltenham
Position: Midfielder

Another player about whom Forest have high hopes for the future.

An energetic midfielder with a keen eye for goal, he made 28 appearances last season - including 16 starts - and scored three times, including a precious match-winner at Crystal Palace.

Nottingham born and bred, he's a graduate of the Forest Academy system.

He made his debut during the 2007-08 season ... and wasted little time in opening his goal account for the club at senior level.

He was on target in a 4-0 demolition of Leyton Orient and doubled his tally two months later with a precious equaliser against Southend.

Both of those goals were scored after he had joined the action as a substitute but Thornhill also started five games and impressed many observers with the maturity of his displays.

The former Academy product made his debut as a substitute in a Carling Cup tie at Chester in August '07 and just days later stepped off the bench to make his first appearance in League One against Swansea at The Liberty Stadium.

offshorehibby
21-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Excellent news Rooney and a 'good' CH next please.

cheltenhamhibee
21-01-2011, 09:46 AM
right i'm ready to shot down in flames, as a regular at Whaddon road i've seen the lad play a wee bit, he's not a bad player at all, but i'm sorry guys he's not the messiah and i do feel that we might have hoped for more, it does smack me as being a cheap option once more to appease the fans, he's no better than Jennison Myrie Williams or James Wesolovski who were also both on loan at Cheltenham and they hardly set the world on fire in the SPL !!! i honestly hope the kid does well and makes a big difference but i cant see it to be honest

Hibbyradge
21-01-2011, 09:51 AM
right i'm ready to shot down in flames, as a regular at Whaddon road i've seen the lad play a wee bit, he's not a bad player at all, but i'm sorry guys he's not the messiah and i do feel that we might have hoped for more, it does smack me as being a cheap option once more to appease the fans, he's no better than Jennison Myrie Williams or James Wesolovski who were also both on loan at Cheltenham and they hardly set the world on fire in the SPL !!! i honestly hope the kid does well and makes a big difference but i cant see it to be honest

If he's better than what we've got, and he can put in a tackle, he'll do for me.

Gatecrasher
21-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Fantastic news :aok:

R'Albin
21-01-2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10308~2272076,00.html

says it was on a free:agree:

Leithenhibby
21-01-2011, 09:56 AM

RP will be delighted :greengrin

Still money for more signings then!!!..

matty_f
21-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Good stuff, this will be one of the reasons that Calderwood was brought to the club - like Mowbray did, he'll have a good knowledge of players in England and so hopefully has unearthed a gem that can flourish in the SPL.

DAVE1875
21-01-2011, 09:59 AM
At last a signing, going to reserve judgement until he plays, hopefully not another AOB: More hype than good performances. Still welcome to Hibs Mr. Thornhill :cool2:

J-C
21-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Sounds like a good signing, one that at one point looked to be not going ahead according to some sources, so well done. :thumbsup:

Again the standard of ER and EM are the biggest draws regarding players coming, not the football club itself then eh!..............ah well it is a start and a player CC knows very well, also a bit of height in the middle for a change.:flag:

cheltenhamhibee
21-01-2011, 10:05 AM
If he's better than what we've got, and he can put in a tackle, he'll do for me.

dont get your hopes up, i hope the laddie does well, as to whether he's better than what we already have !!! we'll just have to wait and see, i do have to say tho that the signing hasn't made me want to start jumping through hoops, and i feel a little bit underwhelmed by it

Thecat23
21-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Good luck to the lad, he's going to need it.. first loose pass BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cool2:

matty_f
21-01-2011, 10:07 AM
dont get your hopes up, i hope the laddie does well, as to whether he's better than what we already have !!! we'll just have to wait and see, i do have to say tho that the signing hasn't made me want to start jumping through hoops, and i feel a little bit underwhelmed by it

What I'd hope to get from him is specific attributes that Calderwood sees are missing in the team at the moment.

We don't need the guy to be Zidane, we need him to improve the team and often it's not the best players that make the biggest contribution to a team.

Calderwood knows him and clearly must feel that he's got what the team needs. Here's hoping!

J-C
21-01-2011, 10:12 AM
What I'd hope to get from him is specific attributes that Calderwood sees are missing in the team at the moment.

We don't need the guy to be Zidane, we need him to improve the team and often it's not the best players that make the biggest contribution to a team.

Calderwood knows him and clearly must feel that he's got what the team needs. Here's hoping!

He's also got a good first name eh! :wink::cool2:

matty_f
21-01-2011, 10:14 AM
He's also got a good first name eh! :wink::cool2:

It might not be the best first name, but it's in the top one.:agree:

(wee nod to a Nottingham legend there...)

Austinho
21-01-2011, 10:18 AM
http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23488

What the Forest fans are saying.

JimBHibees
21-01-2011, 10:19 AM

I agree CC's comments are around him having a goal threat from midfield and also a great work ethic that allied to the fact he is young and 6'1 sounds like an improvement to me.

Pity he isnt in for tomorrow.

JimBHibees
21-01-2011, 10:22 AM

They all sound pretty positive.

Hibs90
21-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Uninspiring if im being honest. Goalscoring midfielder? He's scored 8 goals ffs. Won't judge the guy properly till he plays though so welcome Matt.

J-C
21-01-2011, 10:24 AM

All very positive and sorry to see him go, looks promising.

Jack
21-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Has anyone seen his website, I canny find it :confused:

scoopyboy
21-01-2011, 10:30 AM
2 and a half year deal according to Forest web site.

J-C
21-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Has anyone seen his website, I canny find it :confused:

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=428816781

:greengrin

scoopyboy
21-01-2011, 10:32 AM
RP will be delighted :greengrin

Still money for more signings then!!!..

Although we didn't pay Forest a fee we may well have to pay the player a big signing on fee, if as I suspect he will be taking a large drop in wages.

Wilson
21-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Uninspiring if im being honest. Goalscoring midfielder? He's scored 8 goals ffs. Won't judge the guy properly till he plays though so welcome Matt.

I think the official site stated that he has goalscoring potential. I think we should keep that term in mind rather than be expecting him to knock in a brace every other week.

I don't think anybody will figure this lad to be Sauzee or Latapy. Hibs are obviously signing him on potential so I'd liken it more to the signings of Brebner and Caldwell. In that regard he will prove rough around the edges but if he is going anywhere in the game then he'll already do the basics right and find that Hibs is a good place to come and improve (quickly!).

Best of luck Matt.

Barney McGrew
21-01-2011, 10:35 AM

:hilarious

"i like goin out dwn town to hav a gd time wit my boys"

I'm sure he'll fit into our squad very well then :wink:

Scooter
Although we didn't pay Forest a fee we may well have to pay the player a big signing on fee, if as I suspect he will be taking a large drop in wages.

any more in the pipe line scoopy

supersauzee
Finally just the lift we needed!! :greengrin get rid of 3 or 4 dead wood from the sqaud and bring in another 6 or so players and we are good! hopefully the team can just concentrate on pulling ourselves back into the top 6 and the board get the fingers oot and get more signings in!!!

I have always been behind CC, its the boards fault we are in this position so they must back CC and get the team out of it! We cant be a club that sacks managers every few months coz if we do all the money we have made over the past 5 or 6 years will be paid out in compensation to managers that the board dont back with some much needed resources to strengthen the team!!:greengrin

Craig_in_Prague

Exactly.

There's generally always a fee required (for someone half decent) I would have thought; either to the club or player or in some cases both.

this sounds like a positive signing to me. My friend in work is a Forest fan and has good things to say about the guy. Forest are also a team doing very well so not easy to break in. It's someone CC will trust and someone that'll work for CC.
Still plenty years ahead of him as well.

Just hope the fans don't expect all too much too soon.

cheltenhamhibee
21-01-2011, 10:37 AM

doesn't any manager who makes a signing have those hopes ? doesn't any fan also have those hopes about the signed player ? and all to often the player inevitably ends up to be a disappointment (especially at Hibs for the last 3 or four seasons) there is a young lad at Cheltenham now called Marlon Pack on loan from Pompey who plays in the central midfield and if we had signed him i would've been pleased as i think he would be a better player for what we need at the moment, but thats just my opinion

steviehibsleith
21-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Its a signing and even though I know nothing about the lad just by this action hopefully the out of contract 16 players will see what is coming.
They are not having contract extensions or talks so they better buck up or they are out and probably playing in a lower league on a lower pay.
CC has made his intentions and so have hibs new blood is coming and I hope this can invigorate the existing players who want to play for Hibs.

The Voice Of Reason
21-01-2011, 10:42 AM
The new guy will be fine. Lets face it, he is already on to a winner as he will definately be better than De Graaf !

Disclaimer - the "better than De Graaf" statement was made on the safe assumption that the new lad can :-

1. Run properly
2. Control a ball
3. Pass a ball to a fellow team member

The Harp

According to one poster he was getting paid peanuts ... that'll suit Rod then. :rolleyes:
Anyway, hope he does well for us, and the sooner the better.

Beefster

I don't know why he hasn't played more but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Stokes, Killen, Riordan, Brown, Murphy and loads more all came to Hibs having struggled to get a game at their previous club.

HFC 0-7
21-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Sometimes players just dont fit in with certain styles of play etc. If CC knows him he may know that he will be the exact player hibs need in the style CC wants to adopt. All we need at this point is someone that grafts, can tackle and has a bit of composure. I will reserve judgement until I see him in a hibs jersey.

GloryGlory
21-01-2011, 10:46 AM
The new guy will be fine. Lets face it, he is already on to a winner as he will definately be better than De Graaf !

Disclaimer - the "better than De Graaf" statement was made on the safe assumption that the new lad can :-

1. Run properly
2. Control a ball

4. Hit the ball into an empty net.

johnrebus
21-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Good news. :thumbsup:

Another 3 or 4 please. :greengrin

Delighted we have finally signed someone with a bit of history and a lot of potential, but would rather the club now looked quality rather than quantity.

Rooney at ICT would not come cheap, but should be affordable - just.

Would be happy if he was the only other signing.

The season is ****ed anyway, so lets just stay up and get it sorted in the summer?

:cool2:

DAVE1875
21-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Says on Wikipedia he's been given the number 26 shirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Thornhill

I know wikipedia is just what other people say but until it appears on the offical site am going with this

Hibbyradge
21-01-2011, 10:56 AM

The Forest fans seem to disagree with you.

Hibbyradge
21-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Uninspiring if im being honest. Goalscoring midfielder? He's scored 8 goals ffs. Won't judge the guy properly.

Fixed that for you. :greengrin

HibbyKeith
21-01-2011, 11:02 AM
All subject to a medical, hes not trained for two weeks so CC needs him to prove his short term fitness.

Will be good to see a new face at Easter Road again. just hope the fans don't get carried away and heap too much pressure on the guy, like anyone joining a new club he will need time to settle himself into a new team.

Was interesting to hear CC's latest interview, when asked what the situation was about new transfer targets,he said hes waiting on phone calls from 2 or 3 more players.

Speedway
21-01-2011, 11:08 AM
All subject to a medical, hes not trained for two weeks so CC needs him to prove his short term fitness.

Will be good to see a new face at Easter Road again. just hope the fans don't get carried away and heap too much pressure on the guy, like anyone joining a new club he will need time to settle himself into a new team.

Was interesting to hear CC's latest interview, when asked what the situation was about new transfer targets,he said hes waiting on phone calls from 2 or 3 more players.

Hibs TV or BBC, HK?

HibbyKeith
21-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Hibs TV or BBC, HK?

Hibs TV

JimBHibees
21-01-2011, 11:13 AM

How do you know that?

HibbyKeith
21-01-2011, 11:15 AM
How do you know that?

CC's latest Hibs TV interview.

jdships
21-01-2011, 11:17 AM

SO ? :confused:

JimBHibees
21-01-2011, 11:17 AM
CC's latest Hibs TV interview.

Ok cheers. :thumbsup:

HibbyKeith
21-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Ok cheers. :thumbsup:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110121/boss-on-team-and-transfers_2262950_2272478

Jim44
21-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Unfortunately I think that lany of the players we are likely to pick up during this window will be this type........ Not really involved in their club's first-pick side and looking for a move or hoping for a loan move. Beggars can't be choosers.

jdships
21-01-2011, 11:25 AM

:agree:
That's the way it works with "Frees" !!
Know of one who picked up £15000 beginning of this season when signing for an SPL club

RIP
21-01-2011, 11:40 AM
He's nearly 14 stone and only 6' 1". The NHS class that as overweight

15 pounds heavier than Chris Hogg !!

Heavier yet 3 inches shorter than Sol Bamba !!

Only 22 - nae wonder it's dependent on a medical

Fat Bar Steward !!!!!!!!:devil:

Hibee Daz
21-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Welcome to Hibs Matt.

3 or 4 more new faces please of a semi decent pedigree, to lift the mood and instill a bit of hope!

Speedway
21-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Medical is today but won't play tomorrow.

woodythehibee
21-01-2011, 12:24 PM
How long is the contract?

Sir David Gray
21-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't know anything about him but I'm just glad that we've finally made a signing.

At the very least, he couldn't possibly make our midfield any worse...could he? :pray:

jane_says
21-01-2011, 12:25 PM

"i like goin out dwn town to hav a gd time wit my boys"

I'm sure he'll fit into our squad very well then :wink:

Sir David Gray
21-01-2011, 12:26 PM

I think Sky Sports News said earlier it was 2.5 years.

Jim44
21-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Medical is today but won't play tomorrow.

This probably means that he could be 'blooded' in the midweek game at ER against Rangers, in which, on paper, we are likely to take a severe hammering. I don't know if this is desirable thing for a new young player. Maybe he should make his debut a week on Saturday against D Utd. :dunno:

Dinkydoo
21-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Thank god, time to turn this potential train wreck around.

Welcome to Hibs Matt :flag:

half.time.draw.
21-01-2011, 12:34 PM
If he is any good he will sign for Celtic in the summer:greengrin

--------
21-01-2011, 12:34 PM

1. The NHS guidlelines are averages - a lot depends on your build.

2. Did a Google 'Images' search - the lad looks a bit of a bruiser - what we've been needing. Broad rather than fat, IMO.

Aitchy
21-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Good vibes.

Jack
21-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Says on Wikipedia he's been given the number 26 shirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Thornhill

I know wikipedia is just what other people say but until it appears on the offical site am going with this

I am under the impression that numbers are given for the season – even if the player, Sol Bamba, leaves. If that’s the case he’ll have to think of another number!

hibsbollah
21-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Favourite Film- 'White Chicks':rolleyes:
Another intellectual in the Hibs dressing room...

Brooster
21-01-2011, 01:05 PM
This probably means that he could be 'blooded' in the midweek game at ER against Rangers, in which, on paper, we are likely to take a severe hammering. I don't know if this is desirable thing for a new young player. Maybe he should make his debut a week on Saturday against D Utd. :dunno:

Are you being serious?

7Hero
21-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Solid utility player used to come on as sub a lot in midfield but could play up front and occasionally full back. Rarely started for Forest so should suit you well!!!!!!!!

a reply from my forest pal..

scoopyboy
21-01-2011, 01:25 PM
any more in the pipe line scoopy

Certainly hope so.

Haven't heard any update on Gary Harkins / Willo Flood but still after Rooney obviously, although I think unlikely now that Butcher has let the cat out the bag.

Matt Thornhill was at East Mains either last Thursday or Friday (as players were arriving for training) so he was one of the players CC was referring to when he said we might resurrect one or two. Stalled last weekend over wages Hibs were prepared to pay so I take it we offered him more.

HH81
21-01-2011, 01:28 PM

The thing is some players perform better for different managers. Now I'm not saying this was the case at Cheltenham but I have seen it happen with loads of players.

Time will tell.

Hibernia Na Eir
21-01-2011, 01:32 PM

its a known fact that muscle weighs heavier than fat, so im guessing this lad is an Arni!

GreenPJ
21-01-2011, 01:44 PM
its a known fact that muscle weighs heavier than fat, so im guessing this lad is an Arni!

:greengrin Would you like a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks sir.

since90plustwo
21-01-2011, 01:47 PM

they have really good centre mids. young lad breaking through was always gonna be hard but hes played a fair bit. sorry if its been answered already

calder45a
21-01-2011, 02:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9369624.stm

The midfielder, who has been injured for the past few weeks, is pleased to have made the move to Edinburgh from City Ground after making only one appearance for the club this season. "Colin is a manager who I believe will get the best out of me and I'm delighted to have the chance to play for him again," he said.

Kaiser1962
21-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Another thing this lad is 22, Edwin de Graaf is almost 31 years old he only gonna go downhill from here

I would also think that the manager has actually seen him play.

poolman
21-01-2011, 02:36 PM

I'ts about 14 inches :greengrin

http://i53.tinypic.com/icsjgo.jpg

Hibbyradge
21-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I just received an email from one of my Nottingham based clients in which he says,

"Matt Thornhill has a lot of potential, he’s a midfield player that will go from box to box and will score his share of goals.

Colin Calderwood played him quite a lot at Forest, but under Billy Davies he hasn’t played at all this season and has been out on loan.

I think if he is given a decent run in the team he will flourish, I hope so".

Sounds promising. I just hope he gets the time to settle in before he's labelled as "not Hibs class". :rolleyes:

ancient hibee
21-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Jeez-I was quite optimistic until I saw "box to box".

Kaiser1962
21-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I just received an email from one of my Nottingham based clients in which he says,

"Matt Thornhill has a lot of potential, he’s a midfield player that will go from box to box and will score his share of goals.

Colin Calderwood played him quite a lot at Forest, but under Billy Davies he hasn’t played at all this season and has been out on loan.

I think if he is given a decent run in the team he will flourish, I hope so".

Sounds promising. I just hope he gets the time to settle in before he's labelled as "not Hibs class". :rolleyes:

You would appear to be a bit late already.

hibiedude
21-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Sounds a good prospect lets give the guy a chance

sesoim
21-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Its a start. Hopefully he turns out to be a player. I like the Tache line on the facilities in every release about signings

:agree: Yeah. Much as it is nice, nobody really needs " top class facilities" to do a dump.

cheltenhamhibee
21-01-2011, 03:18 PM
The Forest fans seem to disagree with you.
forest fans probably think the SPL is like the blue square premier down south !!!! the opinion in england is Scottish fitba is pish (and they're not that far off the mark)

down-the-slope
21-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Good start...would rather have players on the way up...rather than on the way down.

The Tache will see at 22 and 14st...he represents age and weight good value investment.

The Manager will know how much scruitiny his first signing will get...so showing a lot of faith...so its good its someone he knows...

Notice that manager notes 'good work ethic' as one of main attributes....hope some others take note :wink:

Hibbyradge
21-01-2011, 03:25 PM
forest fans probably think the SPL is like the blue square premier down south !!!! the opinion in england is Scottish fitba is pish (and they're not that far off the mark)

See post 108.

hiblander
21-01-2011, 03:26 PM

and do i care what an Englishman thinks ??

.....No ! :aok:

sesoim
21-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Good vibes.

:agree: Yeah, thanks for posting the link. The general consesus is that he was a good player who couldn't get a game due to a couple of other good players.

I wonder what fans of other teams will think when they check up OUR comments on some of our players leaving! :wink:

supershotmo
21-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Google image for Matt Thornhill and there is a spitting image of Pat Stanton.

Wilson
21-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Google image for Matt Thornhill and there is a spitting image of Pat Stanton.

Pat should know better at his age.

CropleyWasGod
21-01-2011, 03:47 PM
and do i care what an Englishman thinks ??

.....No ! :aok:

:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2011, 03:50 PM
FFS does he know any players from teams he's not managed or been an assistant at? This is getting just like Yogi signing players from Falkirk. :offski:

DAVE1875
21-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I am under the impression that numbers are given for the season – even if the player, Sol Bamba, leaves. If that’s the case he’ll have to think of another number!

Thank you Captain Obvious. The number 12 shirt is free so he doesn't HAVE to have number 26 is all I'm saying

Hibee Daz
21-01-2011, 03:58 PM

1. Run properly
2. Control a ball

:faf:

Purehibee_MYB
21-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Glad to see we've finally got someone... And happy to see he has potential...according to Forest fans at least

Largshibby
21-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I've not heard of him to be honest but Thornhill is a large village just 3 miles from where I was born and its quite nice. If thats anything to go by he should do fine.:aok:

cheltenhamhibee
21-01-2011, 04:25 PM
See post 108.
and your point is what exactly ?

persevere1875
21-01-2011, 04:30 PM
To be fair to the lad, and Im sure Cheltenhamhibee will be one of the first to agree, when he was at Cheltenham he was playing in an absolutely shocking Cheltenham team devoid of any confidence, I spoke to a few of the guys at Cheltenham and they reckoned he was a good prospect, good enough to extend his loan from an initial one month to six. We'll just have to see if CC can get more out of him but he'll defo put a tackle in so thats a start.

Dr Jimmy
21-01-2011, 04:33 PM
To be fair to the lad, and Im sure Cheltenhamhibee will be one of the first to agree, when he was at Cheltenham he was playing in an absolutely shocking Cheltenham team devoid of any confidence, I spoke to a few of the guys at Cheltenham and they reckoned he was a good prospect, good enough to extend his loan from an initial one month to six. We'll just have to see if CC can get more out of him but he'll defo put a tackle in so thats a start.

He might not notice he has left......!

persevere1875
21-01-2011, 04:33 PM
He might not notice he has left......!

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2011, 04:36 PM

If he can do that then use the ball wisely, then that will be a huge improvement.:pray:

Speedway
21-01-2011, 04:43 PM

He should fit in well with the super confident devil may care Hibbies then.

Ultimately I think, that if he plays well, opens up opposition defences, contributes his share of goals and lifts the team; he'll probably get a starting berth more often than not.

The Falcon
21-01-2011, 04:44 PM
He should fit in well with the super confident devil may care Hibbies then.

Ultimately I think, that if he plays well, opens up opposition defences, contributes his share of goals and lifts the team; he'll probably get a starting berth more often than not.

If he tackles just ONE person a game will that not be worth his place alone?

ancienthibby
21-01-2011, 04:48 PM
If he tackles just ONE person a game will that not be worth his place alone?

Speedway NEVER uses the sarcastic button when he posts!!:devil:

cheltenhamhibee
21-01-2011, 04:48 PM

He's coming to the worst team Hibs team in my living memory (duffy jim and blobby included) a team completely devoid of any confidence !!! he did a decent job at Cheltenham dont get me wrong and i hope he can do a job for us, i just cant help feeling underwhelmed by the signing, maybe i should put on my green tinted glasses like some do on here and think everythings just fine and dandy :thumbsup:

persevere1875
21-01-2011, 04:56 PM
He's coming to the worst team Hibs team in my living memory (duffy jim and blobby included) a team completely devoid of any confidence !!! he did a decent job at Cheltenham dont get me wrong and i hope he can do a job for us, i just cant help feeling underwhelmed by the signing, maybe i should put on my green tinted glasses like some do on here and think everythings just fine and dandy :thumbsup:

Had we been in a better position than we currently are Id have to agree with you, not the most inspiring signing we've ever seen having, like yourself, watched him, BUT and its a big BUT, The Hibs midfield with the exception of Rankin, all be it usually a week late, just dont put the tackles in, preffering to shadow players until they've moved the ball on and as such the midfielder concerned's responsibilty. At least we know this lad will get in about people in the middle of the park and that has to be an improvement wouldnt you say ?

persevere1875
21-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Had to sit down there for a minute, I think I came very close to praising Rankin, ye gods whats the world coming too :wink:

Wilson
21-01-2011, 05:00 PM

That is uncalled for.

We have been waiting for a signing and Calderwood has made one. We can't know what to expect from Calderwood's Hibs until he gets his own guys in so hopefully this is the first of a few now and in the summer.

I'm happy that the work is being done behind the scenes and am choosing to be optimistic given Thornhill's potential. Green tinted glasses have nothing to do with it.

If Thornhill proves to be the only signing then that may well be underwhelming. However, we are not signing one player to do it all on his own. This should be a positive signing in a rebuilding job that will hopefully see better quality brought in all over the park.

Mikey
21-01-2011, 05:12 PM

doesn't any manager who makes a signing have those hopes ? doesn't any fan also have those hopes about the signed player ? and all to often the player inevitably ends up to be a disappointment (especially at Hibs for the last 3 or four seasons) there is a young lad at Cheltenham now called Marlon Pack on loan from Pompey who plays in the central midfield and if we had signed him i would've been pleased as i think he would be a better player for what we need at the moment, but thats just my opinion

and your point is what exactly ?

You're trying desperately to turn folk against him before he's even kicked a ball. Keep it up and you might manage to get him booed when he makes his debut.

Wilson
21-01-2011, 05:14 PM
FFS does he know any players from teams he's not managed or been an assistant at? This is getting just like Yogi signing players from Falkirk. :offski:

Our next manager should have Barcelona on his CV. Get it sorted Petrie! :wink:

DAVE1875
21-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Frank Rijkaard is looking for work :wink:

lapsedhibee
21-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Thank you Captain Obvious. The number 12 shirt is free so he doesn't HAVE to have number 26 is all I'm saying

They should get the same number as the bus they were first spotted on. Wasn't Jordi Cruyff number 26 when he signed for us? :dunno:

markom127
21-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Has anyone seen him play? Is he any good? Is he a strong or fast player ect?

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Now we are talking. :greengrin

SloopJB
21-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Has anyone seen him play? Is he any good? Is he a strong or fast player ect?

Colin Calderwood has, the first piece of the mechanism which will help the team turn the corner.
Moan Thornhill
Moan Calderwood
Moan the Tache
Moan the Hibs

Kaiser1962
21-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Looks promising at least.

erin go bragh
21-01-2011, 07:51 PM
not according to the forest forum[said he was on peanuts] also said in the en ,that he will be the 1st of many signings in this window:top marksyes please
ggtth

Big Frank
21-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the Hibs Matt:aok:

trev the hat
21-01-2011, 08:01 PM
:flag: A very warm welcome to Hibs Matt :flag:

Jim44
21-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Are you being serious?

Serious about what? a) Us getting a 'doing' from Rangers or b) not playing Thornhill?

a) I don't think I'm in a minority here. b) I repeat what I say and consider also the fact that his fitness, both physical and match fitness are unknown.

lucky
21-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Heard it was the tour of George Street that swung the deal. FACT :greengrin

davidw
21-01-2011, 09:30 PM
No doubt this has already been mentioned, but (because I am sad) I looked at the Forest Forum website and they're all saying good things: http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23488

I remember looking at a Falkirk forum website when Clegg and McBride were signed (as I was still sad then) and they were all laughing their t*ts off. So - it's gotta be progress...!

Wilbur
21-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Did they get him through McEwan Fraser? We can sell your player in 21 days! :wink:

hibsbollah
21-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Heard it was the tour of George Street that swung the deal. FACT :greengrin

We don't sign abstainers. Its the Hibs way:agree:

bigl
22-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Looks promising at least.
shame he's injured:confused:

The Falcon
22-01-2011, 08:10 AM
shame he's injured:confused:

If you read the links to Forest website :cool2:

cheltenhamhibee
22-01-2011, 10:01 AM
You're trying desperately to turn folk against him before he's even kicked a ball. Keep it up and you might manage to get him booed when he makes his debut.

why the hell would i want to try turn people against him :idiot:, i'm being honest in what i say, and its only my opinion, if you dont agree then fair enough, but please dont come on spouting crap like this !!! i might well be right in what i say, i might be wrong and i hope to god i am, time will tell i suppose

Booked4Being-Ugly
22-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Sorry if it's been covered but what position in Midfield does he play?

Lucius Apuleius
22-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Sorry if it's been covered but what position in Midfield does he play?

The bit in front of the defence and behind the strikers.:agree:

jax67
22-01-2011, 10:42 AM

All that Thornhill needs to do to impress me is the simple things well. None of our centre midfielders{other than Miller on a good day} can make passes to other Hibs players. I'd love to see Rankins stats not only for incomplete passes, but percentages of passes made directly to the opposition. Murray and Mcbride also come into that category. Not Degraf though, he cant get close enough to the ball to make a pass or a timely tackle. Do the simple things well Thornhill, and you will do for me. Welcome to the famous Edinburgh Hibees!!:agree:

hibsbollah
22-01-2011, 10:49 AM
The bit in front of the defence and behind the strikers.:agree:

Centre midfield, but looks to have filled in a few other positions as well.

He's not getting a game behind Majewski, who's a Polish international and could probably play in the Premier League, and McGugan who is very highly rated and scoring loads of goals from midfield.

From reading that forum he's very well rated, this could be an excellent signing:agree:

Greenblood70
22-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Exactly the type of signing we should be making. Young up and coming player who the manager knows well.

By the sounds of things from the Forest fans forum he's been a bit unlucky not to have broken through. Reckon we've got ourselves a more than useful player here.

Now for a RB, rest of a midfield, couple of strikers and a centre half:greengrin

stu in nottingham
22-01-2011, 11:10 AM
There are one or two fan comments about Thornhill in this Nottingham Post story:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/nottinghamforest/forest/Thornhill-reunited-Calderwood-Forest-allow-free-transfer-Hibs/article-3129896-detail/article.html

I'm told that Billy Davies is not the greatest at giving young players an opportunity and that Matt Thornhill may have suffered from this a little.

GREEN WARLORD
22-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Muscle is heavier than fat, something the NHS frequently omit :wink:

Diclonius
22-01-2011, 12:33 PM
He passed his medical yet?

greenlex
22-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Without wishing to stir it does anyone know how the medical went?
The way things are going at Hibs at the moment I am a wee bit nervous.

Spike Mandela
22-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Improve that lot Mr Thornhill. No pressure then.:rolleyes:

Saorsa
22-01-2011, 05:28 PM
He passed his medical yet?If he watched that today he'll probably break his leg so he'll fail.

The Harp Awakes
23-01-2011, 10:29 AM
The Sunday Mail reporting this morning that he's injured.

Magic. We eventually get a player in and he's injured:confused:

Spike Mandela
23-01-2011, 12:21 PM

:faf::faf::faf:Tell me you are kidding? Joke from top to bottom, honestly:faf::faf:

Beefster
23-01-2011, 12:29 PM

:faf::faf::faf:Tell me you are kidding? Joke from top to bottom, honestly:faf::faf:

This isn't news.

From Calderwood on Friday:

"We're very hopeful that Matt Thornhill from Nottingham Forest will join us shortly. We have concluded a deal with the player and the club - subject to him being able to prove his fitness. It is not a long term injury, but he has missed two or three weeks of training.'

If it's a minor injury, I don't see why that would stop us signing someone regarded as the right player for the club.

We're getting into the realm of absolutely everything Hibs, or anyone connected to them, do being criticised, justified or not.

greenlex
23-01-2011, 12:31 PM

We have a small window to sign players.
Thornhill is one identified early in that window that Calderwood hinted at as a "Stumbling Block/injured"
He is still injured. He has agreed to sign for us but its obviously subject to medical. Fans impatience has led to us announcing this. The only peculiar thing IMO is announcing it before its a done and dusted.

Spike Mandela
23-01-2011, 12:42 PM
We have a small window to sign players.
Thornhill is one identified early in that window that Calderwood hinted at as a "Stumbling Block/injured"
He is still injured. He has agreed to sign for us but its obviously subject to medical. Fans impatience has led to us announcing this. The only peculiar thing IMO is announcing it before its a done and dusted.

Sorry greenlex but the window is the same size for every team. It is the same size every year and comes along at the same time every year. Is it unreasonable to expect Hibs to be ready for it and to get what they require?

Surely it is farcical to consider signing an injured player unless it was say 1 game he was missing. How long is reasonable to wait for the 'right' player which is the excuse given every time even though we don't appear to have signed the 'right' players.

We are already out the cup and are second bottom of the league how bloody patient are fans meant to be? Any more patient and it is practically to the point of uncaring apathy.

We need a quick fix,NOW.

BEEJ
23-01-2011, 12:49 PM
This isn't news.

From Calderwood on Friday:

"We're very hopeful that Matt Thornhill from Nottingham Forest will join us shortly. We have concluded a deal with the player and the club - subject to him being able to prove his fitness. It is not a long term injury, but he has missed two or three weeks of training.'

If it's a minor injury, I don't see why that would stop us signing someone regarded as the right player for the club.

We're getting into the realm of absolutely everything Hibs, or anyone connected to them, do being criticised, justified or not.
:agree:

As you say, it's not news. But it is frustrating.

greenlex
23-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Sorry greenlex but the window is the same size for every team. It is the same size every year and comes along at the same time every year. Is it unreasonable to expect Hibs to be ready for it and to get what they require?

Surely it is farcical to consider signing an injured player unless it was say 1 game he was missing. How long is reasonable to wait for the 'right' player which is the excuse given every time even though we don't appear to have signed the 'right' players.

We are already out the cup and are second bottom of the league how bloody patient are fans meant to be? Any more patient and it is practically to the point of uncaring apathy.

We need a quick fix,NOW.
If its the right player as long as it takes.
The club have been working with Calderwood from when he arrived to identify what he needs. Just because players are not arriving early in the window everyone is being impatient. We will not sign every first or even second targeted list of players. Even loans will be dependent on other factors. Its like a domino effect. One player leaves freeing up money to get another freeing up money at that club and so on. We have money to spend but we need to spend it wisely. Add to that the poor draw of the SPL and within that the position Hibs are in that SPL its very easy to see the difficulties Calderwood is having. We will get other players in this window but a quick fix could and probably would backfire as has been proven with some final day signings of the last few windows. We need to hold our nerve here. Patience is definately needed. One week to go lets hope there are no panic buys this time round.

Spike Mandela
23-01-2011, 01:02 PM
The club have been working with Calderwood from when he arrived to identify what he needs. Just because players are not arriving early in the window everyone is being impatient. We will not sign every first or even second targeted list of players. Even loans will be dependent on other factors. Its like a domino effect. One player leaves freeing up money to get another freeing up money at that club and so on. We have money to spend but we need to spend it wisely. Add to that the poor draw of the SPL and within that the position Hibs are in that SPL its very easy to see the difficulties Calderwood is having. We will get other players in this window but a quick fix could and probably would backfire as has been proven with some final day signings of the last few windows. We need to hold our nerve here. Patience is definately needed. One week to go lets hope there are no panic buys this time round.

My point is though greenlex is we use this same reasoning (excuse) every year.

We always sign players every window. Interesting that you quote final day signings as backfiring quick fixes,but surely signings at the end of the window was us waiting patiently for the 'right' player. :confused:

Unlike other years though, Hibs situation is grave. Hibs for once should have stepped out their comfort zone, targetted their first choice targets and gave them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Instead we are scrambling about signing injured players and waiting for the usual flotsam and jetsam washing up that is unsigned near the end of the window.

BEEJ
23-01-2011, 01:03 PM

We will get other players in this window but a quick fix could and probably would backfire as has been proven with some final day signings of the last few windows.

We need to hold our nerve here. Patience is definately needed. One week to go lets hope there are no panic buys this time round.
How are 'final day signings' deemed to be 'quick fixes'? :greengrin

BEEJ
23-01-2011, 01:11 PM
My point is though greenlex is we use this same reasoning (excuse) every year.

Unlike other years though, Hibs situation is grave. Hibs for once should have stepped out their comfort zone, targetted their first choice targets and gave them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Instead we are scrambling about signing injured players and waiting for the usual flotsam and jetsam washing up that is unsigned near the end of the window.
:top marks There is something invariably frustrating about Hibs' transfer dealings.

Killie and the Dons had both signed three players by the middle of January and those players are now featuring in their respective teams. Wonder what difference three new faces might have made to us yesterday and on Tuesday night?

There is now every chance that we may not have any new contenders in the squad available for selection before the Huns match - six fixtures into the January window, during which we have seen a couple of departures.

silverhibee
23-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Was his medical being done over the weekend.