PDA

View Full Version : If You Were A Player...

Dan Sarf
20-01-2011, 02:23 PM
and you'd been told you were being let go at the end of the season, would you play your heart out to save Colin Calderwood's job?

Of course not. He's the one who's nailed your coffin.

And trusting that they would give their all to land a new club flies in the face of simple human psychology. Some will try, obviously. But think how disheartened and detached from the club they must feel.

That's why the team looks so unmotivated at present. And presents Colin with an impossible task.

Someone at Hibs has made a horrendous - and possibly very expensive -mistake.

Who do you think it was?

Hibee87
20-01-2011, 02:47 PM
and you'd been told you were being let go at the end of the season, would you play your heart out to save Colin Calderwood's job?

And trusting that they would give their all to land a new club flies in the face of simple human psychology. Some will try, obviously. But think how disheartened and detached from the club they must feel.

That's why the team looks so unmotivated at present. And presents Colin with an impossible task.

Who do you think it was?

Do you know for a fact that all 16 players have been told they can leave?

i think what you will find is the players have been told they need ot show they are worthy of a contract so if you want to stay and play for hibs i want you to sho some grit and commitment. not 1 person has shown this.

hanlon and brown are baout the opnly players i would want in the team next year form the current lot who play week in week out.

Dan Sarf
20-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Do you know for a fact that all 16 players have been told they can leave?

i think what you will find is the players have been told they need ot show they are worthy of a contract so if you want to stay and play for hibs i want you to sho some grit and commitment. not 1 person has shown this.

hanlon and brown are baout the opnly players i would want in the team next year form the current lot who play week in week out.

In CC's latest interview, he says all, or most of the players "Know where they stand." That sounds like definite decisions have been taken - rather than "play well and we'll keep you on."

greenlex
20-01-2011, 03:07 PM
In CC's latest interview, he says all, or most of the players "Know where they stand." That sounds like definite decisions have been taken - rather than "play well and we'll keep you on."

Knowing where you stand and nit being renewed are two different things though.
The example above if being told youneed to improve let's you know where you stand.

GreenCastle
20-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Nearly posted something similar yesterday.

CC has come out saying he wants to change things but not publicly slated the players - which is understandable.

But the way he has come out several times and basically said he is getting rid of players in the summer and the players are currently not good enough - where as a player would that leave you.

Having been in a team before - if a coach / manager doesn't rate you it doesn't really motivate you to play for the cause.

Was mentioned a few weeks ago - some of the players have been chopped and changed but I hope he is explaining why he is leaving players out - otherwise you lose the dressing room very quickly.

You may say well it doesn't matter they are gone in the summer - well it matters a great deal as currently these players are being asked to not get us relegated.

My solution - get a group of players who are on board with what you are doing - trust you - and know you want them to do well and be here in the long run with you. It may mean the younger guys with less experience of surviving a relegation fight but at least the fans will gain more patience and he can start the re-building now.

Mikey
20-01-2011, 03:22 PM
If you were a player and you had been verbally abused from the stands for months on end and had no intention of signing for Hibs again would you try?

easty
20-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Who do you think it was?

Why does it fly in the face of simple human psychology? Do they want to have a job next season? Play well, earn a move to another SPL team or play as you are now and sign up with Dunfermline/Falkirk next season.

stubru59
20-01-2011, 03:34 PM
The players will have a fair idea where they'll be next season. And, for the majority, it won't be ER.

In terms of players being committed, we can only go what we've seen so far - not much.

sesoim
20-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Who do you think it was?

I would try my heart out to either prove CC wrong or land another club. I can't speak for the players at the club, but they would have to be pretty stupid to think playing like lazy rejects would attract any clubs towards signing them.

I agree though that the fact we have so many players out of contract has worked against us squad morale-wise. It just reflects how bad most of them have been that really, only 2 or 3 are worth keeping out of about 15.

I think it would have been better to release a lot of them now with cash agreements to clear the decks for new signings, but CC has hardly been quick off the mark in that respect either.

sesoim
20-01-2011, 03:48 PM
If you were a player and you had been verbally abused from the stands for months on end and had no intention of signing for Hibs again would you try?

Of course! If I was getting shouted at I would do all I could do avoid any more abuse. Being visably lazy would just make matters worse surely.

ancient hibee
20-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Surely you burst a gut and then when another club comes along with a better offer you have the pleasure of telling your currentemployers to b***er off if they change their mind -or are they all thick as mince?

Dan Sarf
20-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Why does it fly in the face of simple human psychology? Do they want to have a job next season? Play well, earn a move to another SPL team or play as you are now and sign up with Dunfermline/Falkirk next season.

Because...

A) rejection is demotivating. It's easy to say you would fight to earn a move and probably, at various times, they've tried. But how long would you be able to keep your head up surrounded by poor players in a losing team and howled at by the crowd?
And B) why would you want to help the guy who wants you out?

easty
20-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Because...

A) rejection is demotivating. It's easy to say you would fight to earn a move and probably, at various times, they've tried. But how long would you be able to keep your head up surrounded by poor players in a losing team and howled at by the crowd?
And B) why would you want to help the guy who wants you out?

A/ rejection is only demotivating to some. Doesn't affect everyone.
B/ you'd want to help yourself, by securing a contract elsewhere.

greenlex
20-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I would try my heart out to either prove CC wrong or land another club. I can't speak for the players at the club, but they would have to be pretty stupid to think playing like lazy rejects would attract any clubs towards signing them.

I agree though that the fact we have so many players out of contract has worked against us squad morale-wise. It just reflects how bad most of them have been that really, only 2 or 3 are worth keeping out of about 15.

I think it would have been better to release a lot of them now with cash agreements to clear the decks for new signings, but CC has hardly been quick off the mark in that respect either.

If wexclear them out before new signings are in who are we gonna play meantime

Dan Sarf
20-01-2011, 04:06 PM
A/ rejection is only demotivating to some. Doesn't affect everyone.
B/ you'd want to help yourself, by securing a contract elsewhere.

That is true, of course. But it sure as hell demotivated our lot!

And it was predictable. Hence my feeling that a horrendous mistake has been made.

The big question though, is: who made it?

H18sry
20-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Players wages are made up from win and appearance monies so if the want to supplement there basic pay and impress future employers they should bust a gut.

francobaresi
20-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Personally I would have some pride in my job & would want to play the best I could to advertise a move for myself. Regardless of who my manager was, & we've all had cr@p managers before, I would prove to them that I was a good/great player... But then I'm not a professional football player...

sixtwo
20-01-2011, 09:22 PM
16 players out of contract is ridiculous. Even if some of the players show the right attitude and go out and perform, you can gaurantee that several others won't. Some players know they will not be there. Some have been told they are not wanted others already have other moves tentatively lined up.
This is what is causing the problem. You need eleven players focussed on the job, working as a team. Even if only one or two show a poor attitude and work ethic, the team suffers. The problem is we have more that one or two who have lost interest.

Hughes said he thought too many players were in a comfort zone with lengthy contracts and it was difficult to motivate them. I bet it's a lot harder to motivate a player who either does not feel wanted or sees his future elsewhere!

We are in a ****ing mess and it needs sorted now. I've said it many times before. Sign a couple of new players, agree contracts with a couple of existing players and this will give the fans and hopefully the players a boost.

Franck is God
20-01-2011, 09:29 PM
With every transfer window that passes there are more and more footballers out of contract and without a club.

Any player that downs tools is basically telling all future employers to look somewhere else and I would think that the majority of players that are released in the summer will not be moving on to bigger and better things.

yekimevol
20-01-2011, 10:42 PM
if i was a player who's contract was running out and at a club that was struggling would i put my all into my game YES !!!!

it is going to be hard to find furture employment if people last memory of you is a shocking player at hibs.

take miller for example who is really going to want to sign him (bar the jambos). he was shocking at QPR so got punted from there and has been shocking in our team(not picking on him just a good example). I cant see teams that are having to be careful financially with is most just now, taking to many chances on players that have had a really bad season and a bit.
can yous ?

Captain Trips
21-01-2011, 03:21 AM
I would think it would be in every players best interests to keep playing if not for CC then for themselves. The likes of Liam Miller will get a move on memory there will be managers whom think they can get him playing like he did years ago and will see that as a challenge, most of them however are doing themselves no favours and in turn doing us none.

They will all likely get a gig somewhere but I wouldnt care a jot if any where left without a club abd had little future left in the game.

s.a.m
21-01-2011, 06:09 AM
Personally I would have some pride in my job & would want to play the best I could to advertise a move for myself. Regardless of who my manager was, & we've all had cr@p managers before, I would prove to them that I was a good/great player... But then I'm not a professional football player...

Me too. However, if it was a straightforward as that players wouldn't go through dips in form, forwards wouldn't have barren spells, and goalies wouldn't go through periods where the harder they tried, the worse their decision making and handling. There may well be players amongst that lot who are actively not trying, but it's also possible that a collection of bad form, and massive loss of confidence have landed us in the position we're in now.

Like just about everyone else, I'm not feeling a great deal of affection for, or sympathy with the players, but I can see how the combination of circumstances that we're going through might destroy a team.

Barney McGrew
21-01-2011, 07:14 AM

If you were a player who had only a few months of guaranteed employment left before you were out of a job, would you not be doing the best to show any prospective new employers what you're capable of?

And If you were one of the prospective new employers, would you give a deal to said player if he had previous for not giving a flying one in the last year/six months of his contract? Or would you maybe sign instead someone of equal ability who has shown that they give everything to the cause, despite the circumstances?