PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood denies he tried to resign

JimBHibees
20-01-2011, 02:07 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9368202.stm?

Personally believe him and think everyone needs to get off his case at the moment and allow him to manage the team as he sees fit.

lucky
20-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I believe him but wish he had.

Hibercelona
20-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I believe him but wish he had.

Why? :confused:

What can he possibly be accountable for at this time?

matty_f
20-01-2011, 02:15 PM

Personally believe him and think everyone needs to get off his case at the moment and allow him to manage the team as he sees fit.

We had stories about Mixu, and Yogi supposedly handing in their resignation however many times as well, and it comes from s***-stirrers with nothing better to do, as far as I'm concerned.

JimBHibees
20-01-2011, 02:19 PM
We had stories about Mixu, and Yogi supposedly handing in their resignation however many times as well, and it comes from s***-stirrers with nothing better to do, as far as I'm concerned.

Couldnt agree more think they should get a life.

MB62
20-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Why? :confused:

What can he possibly be accountable for at this time?

Total lack of any sort of team organisation.
Irrational team selections and tactics.
2 wins in 14 attempts and knocked out the cup by a 2nd division outfit, failing to even score a goal in two games against them.
Team not scored a goal in 2011.

Hibercelona
20-01-2011, 02:41 PM

So what would your tactics be then with a team full of passengers?

He's simply swapping and changing things to try and find the "least worst" line up possible. He doesn't have any other choice.

2 wins in 14 attempts and knocked out the cup by a 2nd division outfit,

Do you honestly believe that any other manager we brought in would have had anymore of an impact on these wasters? I personally don't.

failing to even score a goal in two games against them.

Fact is, our squad is full of p!sh and CC hasn't had a chance yet to do anything about it.

If CC does get sacked and we bring a new manager in, fans would be calling for his head within a couple of months, because theres clearly other issues going on.

MB62
20-01-2011, 02:58 PM
So what would your tactics be then with a team full of passengers?

He's simply swapping and changing things to try and find the "least worst" line up possible. He doesn't have any other choice..

And that, I believe, is part of the problem, never the same team or tactics two games in a row. After three months in the job, he surely must have some idea of what his 'least worst' team is and how he should set them out.
I could give numerous examples of where I think he couls/should have done better but it's a pointless exercise.

Do you honestly believe that any other manager we brought in would have had anymore of an impact on these wasters? I personally don't.

Aberdeen looked in a worse state than us a month ago but a decent manager and a few signings seem to have turned them around. Last season the Yams looked relegation fodder until Jumbo came in and turned them around.

Fact is, our squad is full of p!sh and CC hasn't had a chance yet to do anything about it.

Can't argue with that, as far new signings are concerned.

If CC does get sacked and we bring a new manager in, fans would be calling for his head within a couple of months, because theres clearly other issues going on.

Won't disagree with that either, but if it's stopping him doing his job to the best of his ability then he should walk as a matter of principle and reveal all as what these 'other issues actually are/were.
If he is as good as some seem to think then he should have no problem getting another, better job.

Hibercelona
20-01-2011, 03:15 PM
And that, I believe, is part of the problem, never the same team or tactics two games in a row. After three months in the job, he surely must have some idea of what his 'least worst' team is and how he should set them out.
I could give numerous examples of where I think he couls/should have done better but it's a pointless exercise.

Perhaps he's just trying to give everybody a chance to prove themselves, instead of just picking the same 16 and missing the rest out. I really don't see a problem with the chopping and changing he is doing. I think if a player does well in training one week, then he deserves to be in that 16 at the weekend, but if he doesn't do so well the next week, then somebody else should be taking that place so they have a chance to prove themselves. I think thats the principles that CC is applying.

I understand what you're saying about wanting a settled team that can play week in and week out and thats an easy thing to do when you have great players. But unfortunatly most of the players we have are too close together in terms of quality, so the chopping and changing is inevitable.

Aberdeen looked in a worse state than us a month ago but a decent manager and a few signings seem to have turned them around. Last season the Yams looked relegation fodder until Jumbo came in and turned them around.

Aberdeen and Hearts already had decent players at their clubs before these new managers came in, the last managers just weren't getting these players to play to their full potential.

I think our players do play to their full potential, but they simply arent good enough. And no manager can have any impact on that until they have a chance to bring in their own players.

Won't disagree with that either, but if it's stopping him doing his job to the best of his ability then he should walk as a matter of principle and reveal all as what these 'other issues actually are/were.
If he is as good as some seem to think then he should have no problem getting another, better job.

I don't think any manager could do their Job at Hibs to the best of their ability at the moment. Again, I think something smells rank rotten from the centre of it all...

Look at Mixu. Nobody could say he done his job at Hibs to the best of his ability, now look at him at Killmarnock, he's turning out to be a fine manager there.

Thats another reason why I don't think managers are the main issue at the club.

We need to target the main issues instead of just chopping and changing managers. Because we won't get anywhere simply by doing that.

sevenil
20-01-2011, 03:41 PM
2 wins in 14 attempts and knocked out the cup by a 2nd division outfit, failing to even score a goal in two games against them.

Agreed, it's not looking good, and hoping for the best is certainly one approach.
In similar situations elsewhere you see the keys being thrown at the No. 2 to see what he can do with it. (It's difficult to accept the claim that the entire squad are clueless and wasters).
It's tough, but when credibility withers away even attracting a few new faces becomes more and more difficult.

The_Sauz
20-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Why do people insist that Aberdeen were worse than us, yet they have beaten us twice this season. The only difference between us and them, was they lost 14 goals in 2 games and that screwed them up!
Plus all the Aberdeen players hated McGee, but most importunately they could still pass a ball to each other and put in a bit of a fight for the cause :agree:

P.S. And they don't have 16 player out of contract at the one time :wink:

nickwhibs
20-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Why do people insist that Aberdeen were worse than us, yet they have beaten us twice this season. The only difference between us and them, was they lost 14 goals in 2 games and that screwed them up!
Plus all the Aberdeen players hated McGee, but most importunately they could still pass a ball to each other and put in a bit of a fight for the cause :agree:

P.S. And they don't have 16 player out of contract at the one time :wink:

But this is essentially the same Hibs team that finished 4th last season - way above Aberdeen (with exception of Stokes and Hartley respectively). I don't think there's one player in that Hibs team that can say they are performing to the anywhere near the best of their ability. Don't get me wrong there are a number of players who are simply gash but a lot of our poor form is down to attitude/motivation/confidence etc. But you're right that the fact that 16 of these players has a lot to do with that.

col02
20-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Having watched that interview I firmly believe that Calderwood if given time and by time I mean proper time ie a season and a half more will come good. He has a calmness and self assurance that requires the players to buy into what he is wanting to get across though with so many out of contract at the end of the season this may be why there has been no great response as such so far.

All that the support can do is change our mindset and appreciate that this season we have to get enough points on the board to avoid being in the relegation battle come the latter part of the season. If we can do that then maybe the opportunity will present itself to give some younger guys a run our with a view to playing them more often next season.

Jim44
20-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Having watched that interview I firmly believe that Calderwood if given time and by time I mean proper time ie a season and a half more will come good. He has a calmness and self assurance that requires the players to buy into what he is wanting to get across though with so many out of contract at the end of the season this may be why there has been no great response as such so far.

All that the support can do is change our mindset and appreciate that this season we have to get enough points on the board to avoid being in the relegation battle come the latter part of the season. If we can do that then maybe the opportunity will present itself to give some younger guys a run our with a view to playing them more often next season.

I think most would agree with this. The problem is that it becomes more apparent with each game that the present squad is incapable of achieving even the mediocre standard which could save us.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Things will improve probably because they can't get much worse.
The chairman won't accept his resignation if offered because that would make his own position untenable.
The reality is that where we are now was always very likely to happen but in a commercial sense, the club couldn't market season tickets on the rider than we will try and hack our boot our way to at least eleventh and then re-launch next season.
The window closing will be pivotal IMO.
Not just in the sense of who comes in. The out of contract players that have not had an offer from another team might take a thought about their own performances.
Like the story about throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Stories about player revolts and changing managers and no investment come too easy from Easter Road. The media will run them even if the source is that they got bored so just made it up.

JimBHibees
20-01-2011, 04:38 PM

I agree was impressed by what he was saying and his calm assured manner hopefully it comes good for him and no idea what he must have made of the question about resigning. Must think there are some right clowns out there dying on him failing.

Beefster
20-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Another rumour stated as fact on here turns out to be nonsense? Well, slap my thigh.

JimBHibees
20-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Another rumour stated as fact on here turns out to be nonsense? Well, slap my thigh.

Agree makes you puke really.

Dunbar Hibee
20-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Surely not...

Kaiser1962
20-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Not only that but when the guy comes out and says that he has not tried to resign then, because it dosent fit with certain agenda's, his truthfullness is being questioned. Unbelievable. No really. Think about it guys.

HibeeEmma
20-01-2011, 06:10 PM

I believe him. Iv never heard someone in such a bad positive say how much he is loving his job and relishes the future challenges of improvement. Good on him. We have to put some trust in him and appreciate his experience. Some fans are too quick to criticise and jump down his throat.

Onwards and upwards :)

GreenCastle
20-01-2011, 06:12 PM

:agree:

We need to start putting points on the board ASAP.

We are in deep trouble right now and that has to change :agree:

Beefster
20-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Folk on here keep using Aberdeen as a reason why we should be better. Aberdeen haven't been absolutely piss-poor for 12 months. The rot is set in at Hibs. Completely different circumstances.

The bit in bold is rubbish BTW. Hearts were sixth when FJK took over and they finished the season in sixth. They've only improved this season - after Jeffries had the opportunity to change the squad in two windows.

Jim44
20-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Folk on here keep using Aberdeen as a reason why we should be better. Aberdeen haven't been absolutely piss-poor for 12 months. The rot is set in at Hibs. Completely different circumstances.

The bit in bold is rubbish BTW. Hearts were sixth when FJK took over and they finished the season in sixth. They've only improved this season - after Jeffries had the opportunity to change the squad in two windows.

There has been some dicussion elsewhere about the Jambos last season. They were much lower than sixth at one point but, you're right, Shabby got them up the table a bit before Romanov and Jeffries did the dirty on him.

matty_f
20-01-2011, 06:26 PM

The Yams went as low as second bottom around Christmas time (ish) last season, I'm sure they had a game, which if they'd lost it, could have seen them go bottom. Instead they won and pushed on from there.

Dinkydoo
20-01-2011, 06:47 PM

To be fair though, I'm not even sure what our least worst line up is at the moment. :greengrin

With the current levels of confidence in the dressing room it really depends on which way the wind is blowing!

One thing Yogi did do right this season was leave so many players out of contract imo and was probably expecting to still be here at January/Summer11 to rebuild the squad.

Unfortunately for him he couldn't get anything from the players and that coupled with being pretty rubbish at game tactics, meant that the support turned on him and he was driven out.

CC is doing the exact same thing, trying to get something from his players whilst the club free up funds for spending on some new faces (although whether that is actually the boards intention, remains to be seen).

If CC is to leave then in 2 months time we'll in the same bloody position with this group of "players".

People need to lay off CC and give him time - and this isn't necessarily directed at you btw.

killie-hibby
20-01-2011, 06:51 PM
More than likely CC has attempted various motivational tactics proven successful with his previous clubs, and is now in a state of shock and disbelief,induced by a group of players the majority of whom have no regard or respect for Hibernian as an institution,their coaching staff ,supporters and their own "professional" status. CC has tried various permutations. None have worked. I believe he has resisted filling the team with youngsters (which I hoped he would do) fearing they would be contaminated with the lack of effort,poor concentration levels and a habit of doing no more than the minimum expected as displayed for months by our so called experienced players. He will b e waiting to blood the young players with real professionals still to be signed.
It would be hard to imagine he has no regrets about coming here but employment laws dont prohibit resignation. I hope he stays it would be madness to consider sacking him. Our club now requires stability.

marleyhib
20-01-2011, 07:18 PM
He comes across well but there is no doubt he is really struggling, he has failed to turn it around at all.

That said maybe what we have at the moment can't be turned around.

Difficult times for Petrie, if we don't sign anyone this window he'll be accused of not backing the manager, if we go down he'll be blamed. If he sacks Calderwood he'll be blamed.

His only option is to back the manager now. It might be a bit of a financial risk but we can't afford to go down.

The next 10 days will hopefully be interesting.