PDA

View Full Version : Mark Brown Was Dropped!!

smurf
20-01-2011, 01:40 AM
According to The Scotsman.

IF true a TERRIBLE decision CC.

Allant1981
20-01-2011, 01:46 AM
yip i agree pretty crap if he was dropped but would he have saved the shot that was eventually the goal. IMO probably not as he hit hit well enough and it was away from smith. We should have been able to play any of our three keepers last night and still won the game

Diclonius
20-01-2011, 01:51 AM
****ing hell.

What is he on?

Dunbar Hibee
20-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Awful decision on CC's behalf.

Niffy
20-01-2011, 03:00 AM
I remember asking Pat Stanton in the Tolbooth Tavern when he ran that why he always selected Benny Brazil, says he was one of teh few guys week in week out gave 100% at training.

Maybe at EM some of this squad are brilliant , but then come the day of the gig... stage fright !

HibeePaj
20-01-2011, 03:07 AM
I took the fact that he was dropped down to 'giving others a shot' seeing as it was a midweek cup game to ayr. AND the fact that stack was back from injury.

Brown has been one of our best this season, and has kept us in games we looked set to lose,,

the only reason he could be dropped for performance is his kicking. certainly not enough reason to drop your no.1 from starter to not even on the bench.

plus... Graeme smiths kicking was just as bad if not worse.

Iain G
20-01-2011, 03:34 AM
I took the fact that he was dropped down to 'giving others a shot' seeing as it was a midweek cup game to ayr. AND the fact that stack was back from injury.

Brown has been one of our best this season, and has kept us in games we looked set to lose,,

the only reason he could be dropped for performance is his kicking. certainly not enough reason to drop your no.1 from starter to not even on the bench.

Could be a multitude of reasons, perhaps a bit jaded and CC wanted to give him a rest, perhaps CC wanted to see Smith play in a competitive game, perhaps Brown has a niggle, or perhaps Rod told CC not to play him as he's just sold him to Man Utd for 5 million... :devil:

Players can be dropped for lots of reasons, not just based on their form :agree:

IWasThere2016
20-01-2011, 06:46 AM
I said on the night that 6 changes was the wrong thing to do. I concluded two were injuries eg Lewis and Brown. If the latter was dropped than God help us!

Beefster
20-01-2011, 06:50 AM
I said on the night that 6 changes was the wrong thing to do. I concluded two were injuries eg Lewis and Brown. If the latter was dropped than God help us!

By the same token, in the face of insipid performance after insipid performance, it sends out the wrong message to keep the same team.

I reckon that, whatever the reason for Brown missing Wednesday, it wasn't because he was dropped due to performances.

IWasThere2016
20-01-2011, 07:23 AM
By the same token, in the face of insipid performance after insipid performance, it sends out the wrong message to keep the same team.

I reckon that, whatever the reason for Brown missing Wednesday, it wasn't because he was dropped due to performances.

And re-instating Nish achieved what exactly? I also said it should be 4-2-3-1 with front four being Spoon, Zooma, Deeks and Duffy so we'd legs (or goals) on the park.CC got it wrong IMHO and dropping Brown - if indeed he did - was a clanger.

Judas Iscariot
20-01-2011, 07:32 AM
I said on the match update thread that his team selection on clearly Cemented my theory that he doesn't have a clue..

Smith, Hart, Rankin, Nish and McBride shouldn't have been anywhere near the starting 11..

To leave leave out Brown, Wotherspoon, Zemamma, Galbraith and Thicot was a joke...

GloryGlory
20-01-2011, 07:32 AM
I remember asking Pat Stanton in the Tolbooth Tavern when he ran that why he always selected Benny Brazil, says he was one of teh few guys week in week out gave 100% at training.

Maybe at EM some of this squad are brilliant , but then come the day of the gig... stage fright !

Nail. Head. Hit.

Both Hughes and CC have been quoted as saying how good the players are at training, they are all working hard, etc, etc, etc - in that case, they are just a bunch of bottle merchants because it's doing it when it matters that counts, not in training.

Septimus
20-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Calderwood could legitimately have dropped any member of the team who played against Celtic EXCEPT Brown.

I now truly fear for the future.

GloryGlory
20-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Could be a multitude of reasons, perhaps a bit jaded and CC wanted to give him a rest, perhaps CC wanted to see Smith play in a competitive game, perhaps Brown has a niggle, or perhaps Rod told CC not to play him as he's just sold him to Man Utd for 5 million... :devil:

Players can be dropped for lots of reasons, not just based on their form :agree:

Or maybe Brown's due a bonus for appearances?

bingo70
20-01-2011, 08:26 AM
If he was just dropped and not injured would he not have been on the bench? I don't believe he'll have gone from 1st choice to 3rd choice for no reason so unless there's quotes in that article I'm no believing it

(((Fergus)))
20-01-2011, 08:33 AM
If he was just dropped and not injured would he not have been on the bench? I don't believe he'll have gone from 1st choice to 3rd choice for no reason so unless there's quotes in that article I'm no believing it

:agree: people are looking for signs of insanity to explain the current predicament

lucky
20-01-2011, 09:08 AM
If this true then it does confirm CC is clueless and is just trying anything. Brown has been our best player this season. God help us going forward if he continues with this bingo selection method.

Craig_in_Prague
20-01-2011, 09:14 AM

:agree:

and despite changing the side around quite a lot each week, the constant has been Brown.

Still, ANY opportunity for fans on here to have a dig at our manager.

We'll never attract players or managers, seen as most fans seem to be just waiting for any opportunity to slate them.

PeeJay
20-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Well if Calderwood's tactic was primarily to punt the ball up to Nishy or Duffy he needed someone in goal who could kick and Brown showed on Saturday that although an excellent shot stopper he cannot actually kick the ball to anyone on our team, maybe that was the "reason" for the change? Smith is unfortunately not very good in goal, but his kicking is better than Brown's (not saying much though) - personally I think Brown is carrying some knock he picked up in an earlier game - it's not as if the Scotsman is the fountain of truth is it?:greengrin

Golden Bear
20-01-2011, 09:16 AM
I think Mark Brown has been carrying an injury for a few weeks as you occasionally see him wince in pain.

I'm almost hoping that this is the case because if he was dropped in favour of Smith then that really is a cause for concern.

Ell_Chrisso
20-01-2011, 09:18 AM

You are kidding here, right? :rolleyes:

Shrekko
20-01-2011, 10:47 AM
People clearly looking to get the knives in here eh?

Without any kind of contacts or inside knowledge I'd bet my house that Brown wasn't 'dropped'.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I think Mark Brown has been carrying an injury for a few weeks as you occasionally see him wince in pain.

I'm almost hoping that this is the case because if he was dropped in favour of Smith then that really is a cause for concern.

That's what I thought as well :confused:

Please God don't tell me he was dropped, if true then we are stuck with another Yogi! :confused:

Stevie Reid
20-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I have made my feelings on Calderwood abundantly clear over the last couple of weeks, but playing devil's advocate...

Brown's kicking IS appalling, and any time a match settles down into a pattern of play, it involves Brown either losing possession from his kick or at best, us winning a throw in and then immediately losing the ball anyway.

Smith looked like a complete bombscare but his kicking was an improvement on Brown's jusdging by how much we retained possession - but it's hard to judge in any case as we were playing a 2nd division team.

Regardless, having Brown and not losing goals to out and out goalkeeping blunders has been the one bright spot of this dark, dark time and I would far rather Brown stayed in goals and we got someone else to take goal kicks (I don't understand why that hasn't been done prviously anyway).

Verdict - very poor decision by CC if Brown wasn't injured.

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2011, 10:56 AM
If Brown was injured or dropped, Stack should be the replacement. Smith should never be near the 1st team strip ever.

JimBHibees
20-01-2011, 11:07 AM
If Brown was injured or dropped, Stack should be the replacement. Smith should never be near the 1st team strip ever.

Totally agree, if Brown is going to be left out it has to be for Stack.

In saying that I would imagine that Brown has been carrying a knock and this was the reason he wasnt playing.

Speedway
20-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Mark Brown has a thigh injury and kept aggrivating it.

Graham Stack had only played in 1 bounce match in 6 months.

Graeme Smith was therefore the regular backup and ergo the first choice.

So my dear conspiracy theorists that wish to see the back of any manager who isn't Mowbray, it was not BIZZARE team selection, it was actually Hobson's Choice.

Maybe he should be the next manager.

Sammy7nil
20-01-2011, 12:36 PM

So my dear conspiracy theorists that wish to see the back of any manager who isn't Mowbray, it was not BIZZARE team selection, it was actually Hobson's Choice.

I was told Brown was was simply DROPPED due to Poor kicking I laughed and said Aye right CC would not be so stupid. Now the Scotsman runs the story as far as I can see no Denial from CC, Brown or Hibs on this negative story. So what is the truth?

Speedway
20-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I was told Brown was was simply DROPPED due to Poor kicking I laughed and said Aye right CC would not be so stupid. Now the Scotsman runs the story as far as I can see no Denial from CC, Brown or Hibs on this negative story. So what is the truth?

The press only report the truth, I'd side with them.

Dinkydoo
20-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Yawn.........same old, same old.

Anything that can be turned into an arguement against CC is.

Players can be dropped for a whole host of reasons, as said above.

I don't know whether some people are simply looking for someone to blame other than Hogg/Nish but it's getting boring all the same.

Not as funny as the thread about having a pizza on the way home but still a bit silly to presume that just because Brown was "dropped", CC obviously thinks he's rubbish or his performance against Celtic wasn't very good. :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2011, 12:55 PM
If brown was dropped, my guess is it was Graham Smith.

Beefster
20-01-2011, 01:09 PM
And re-instating Nish achieved what exactly? I also said it should be 4-2-3-1 with front four being Spoon, Zooma, Deeks and Duffy so we'd legs (or goals) on the park.CC got it wrong IMHO and dropping Brown - if indeed he did - was a clanger.

It evidently didn't achieve anything. I agree though, hindsight is magic.

Wotherspoon, Zemmama, Riordan and Duffy played against Celtic and did the square root of zero.

Wotherspoon, Zemmama, Riordan and Duffy played against Ayr and did the square root of zero.

Never mind putting them in a front four, you could have fed them magic beans and sprinkled pixie dust on their boots and they would have still been *****. I'm no Nish fan but he was probably picked on Tuesday cos he couldn't be any worse than the rest of them.

Albion Hibs
20-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I dont believe that he was dropped, no doubt paper nonsense as a result of Hibs probably refusing to give the a comment on the situation so they just thought they would make it up.

However, if he was dropped I can understand why. His kicking is embarrassing, I am sorry but the amount of problems that has created in recent games is unbelievable.

If Brown is not going to play against Motherwell I would play Stack, he organises the team well from his goal, and for superstitious reasons he was between the sticks when we won there at the start of the season, last time Smith was in goal we......enough said.

GreenCastle
20-01-2011, 01:16 PM
All our keepers have their faults - that's why they are in the SPL.

Brown has been a terrific shot stopper recently and without him their would have been no Ayr replay.

His kicking is poor - if goal kicks are his issue - get a player to take them ? I've seen him kick 2 punts straight out before in a row but kicking can be improved - every day he should be at East Mains doing this. Maybe Browns injury had been affecting his kicking ?

Smith - Did deal with most back passes against Ayr but several times kicked poor and although stayed in - went short and straight down the middle. His decision making is poor and doesn't give the defense any confidence.

Stack - yes only played against NUFC recently and did let 3 goals in but has more of a presence. Sadly though 1 game in 6 months isn't ideal and he's not the best at crossed balls.

Overall I think it was a bad choice as when was the last time the defence played with Smith behind them ?

Brown although not perfect has saved us many a time and has his kicking faults but is the best shot stopper.

The goal the other night was more about the defenders getting tighter but moving forward Brown has to be No1.

GreenPJ
20-01-2011, 01:50 PM

When I saw the line up I was a little surprised and disappointed but ultimately it was probably one of the most experienced line-ups we have available to us. That on its own should be enough to beat a second divison, secondly if these so called experienced players cannot stand up and show themselves in the cup game then hopefully it has now cemented in CC's mind who should definitely go and what his strategy is for the rest of the season.

As much as it pains me to say it, my priority was not the cup (this year) it is about staying up so whilst I am gutted at the result I think and hope the fallout of it will have a positive response from the board, players, manager and (to a far lesser extent the fans) in ensuring we stay up.

sesoim
20-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe Hibs have received an offer for Brown. Wouldn't surprise me, as Hibs seem determined to get rid of every last decent player left at this club.

sesoim
20-01-2011, 04:26 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, my priority was not the cup (this year) it is about staying up so whilst I am gutted at the result I think and hope the fallout of it will have a positive response from the board, players, manager and (to a far lesser extent the fans) in ensuring we stay up.

The annoying thing is, if our team had been playing well, we would have had a good chance in the Cup this year with Hearts and one of the Old Firm already effectively out. The next time we have a good team, no doubt all the best teams will still be in there at the end with us.

ancient hibee
20-01-2011, 04:29 PM
It's not just goal kicks it it?Brown's distribution of the ball is appalling-not just direction but his slowness in even throwing it to a defender.He always holds onto the ball until the opposition has funnelled back.Maybe he's been told to improve and hasn't.Watching English football it's common to see attacks started by goalies with good use of the ball.

ozzie
20-01-2011, 04:44 PM
brown deffinatley pulled up a few times against celtic. looked like he was in a bit of pain. perhaps cc saw tuesday as the best time to rest him in order to have him fit for the rest of season.

persevere1875
20-01-2011, 05:13 PM
To be fair, regardless of whether he was dropped or injured, it doesnt make a jot of difference. Yogi's dreams of a keeper academy are just that, dreams, He's gone and we still dont have a keeper worth a sook, we do however have three wanabees taking up to much money in wages IMO.

AndersonGGTTH
20-01-2011, 05:59 PM
According to The Scotsman.

IF true a TERRIBLE decision CC.

Hows it terrible ? it should be stack in goals anyway , brown makes great saves dont get me wrong but his kicking is beyond a joke ! and it is causing us goals as we have possesion and soon as he is involved in kicking we lose possesion . And most of his good saves are when we are 2/3 goals down ! STACK FOR THE STICKS:flag:

brog
20-01-2011, 07:50 PM
To be fair, regardless of whether he was dropped or injured, it doesnt make a jot of difference. Yogi's dreams of a keeper academy are just that, dreams, He's gone and we still dont have a keeper worth a sook, we do however have three wanabees taking up to much money in wages IMO.

Yep, & when I posted a few weeks back that I thought a keeper was a priority I received more abuse than support. FWIW I very much doubt Brown was dropped, the Scotsman probably just taking their lead from Sky, that well informed outfit who thought our keeper was Chris Smith! Mind you we'd have been better with Chris Evans!

Iggy Pope
20-01-2011, 08:32 PM
The Scotsman.
Oh dear.

Same feature, as an aside, tells the story of our decline including a 3-1 defeat v Killie at Easter Road in the LC?

Truly the paragon of truth. Accurate to a fault, the Scotsman.

jane_says
20-01-2011, 11:34 PM
You are kidding here, right? :rolleyes:

i thought smiths kicking was shocking, the ayr fans were getting on his back every time the ball went back to him. theyre both as bad as each other kicking wise imho

HibeeSince85
20-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Hows it terrible ? it should be stack in goals anyway , brown makes great saves dont get me wrong but his kicking is beyond a joke ! and it is causing us goals as we have possesion and soon as he is involved in kicking we lose possesion . And most of his good saves are when we are 2/3 goals down ! STACK FOR THE STICKS:flag:
Never in a million years, Stack's decent at best, which aye is better than Smith but nowhere near good enough to be our first choice, he's offski in the summer.

Brown when fully fit could be our number 1 for years if we/he wants to stay.

get an experienced keeper in the summer for back-up and propte one of the 2 young goalies for next season if they're upto it.

AndersonGGTTH
21-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Never in a million years, Stack's decent at best, which aye is better than Smith but nowhere near good enough to be our first choice, he's offski in the summer.

Brown when fully fit could be our number 1 for years if we/he wants to stay.

get an experienced keeper in the summer for back-up and propte one of the 2 young goalies for next season if they're upto it.

kicking is just toooooooooooooooooo bad

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2011, 04:23 PM
We would be just as well sticking a traffic cone in between the posts than that clown Smith. If he's in goal tomorrow, imo Calderwood knows nothing about football.

BEEJ
21-01-2011, 05:55 PM
We would be just as well sticking a traffic cone in between the posts than that clown Smith. If he's in goal tomorrow, imo Calderwood knows nothing about football.

Regarding Mark Brown's omission from the starting line-up at Ayr on Tuesday, boss Calderwood reveals the Brown, Graeme Smith and Graham Stack are all in contention for the number one spot at Motherwell.

He said " It was just a change. We've got to find a formula that brings us clean sheets and a win. So, at the minute, we've got three goalkeepers very much in contention for Saturday."

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110121/boss-on-team-and-transfers_2262950_2272478

:eek: Smith possibly in goals at Fir Park!! :no way:

Quick!! Somebody show CC the video of the 6-6 game. :rolleyes:

Green Knight
21-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Whatever the explanation for his absence, I think there was a decent chance Brown would have saved the goal (and I speak as an ex-keeper)

oldbutdim
21-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Nail. Head. Hit.

Both Hughes and CC have been quoted as saying how good the players are at training, they are all working hard, etc, etc, etc - in that case, they are just a bunch of bottle merchants because it's doing it when it matters that counts, not in training.

To be fair, it must be hard to make an accurate assessment. During training they are playing against vastly inferior opposition.

If brown was dropped, my guess is it was Graham Smith.

:aok:

Nicely worked out.

Whatever the explanation for his absence, I think there was a decent chance Brown would have saved the goal (and I speak as an ex-keeper)

There's always a chance. Who knows.
How many penguins caught the fish you threw?
And how is that relevant?

Bugger.

A reasonable explanation.
:brickwall