PDA

View Full Version : Martin O'Neill (ex Hibs director) on the radio

SlickShoes
19-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Ex Board member Martin O'Neill was on 810 earlier, just about everything he said made sense, was anyone else listening to this?

His main points were that players went out without being replaced anyone nearly as good. Hibs are run like a business, so we are doing better than other teams money wise but if we go down that plan will go awry. He cant see anyway out of it currently. Also that the board have very little say on the money, a budget is set out by sir tom and the board have to work around that for the rest of the season. He doesnt imagine that calderwood has very much money to spend at all.

Im sure there was more but all of what he said made sense, we are a business not a football club.

Andy74
19-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Ex Board member Martin O'Neill was on 810 earlier, just about everything he said made sense, was anyone else listening to this?

His main points were that players went out without being replaced anyone nearly as good. Hibs are run like a business, so we are doing better than other teams money wise but if we go down that plan will go awry. He cant see anyway out of it currently. Also that the board have very little say on the money, a budget is set out by sir tom and the board have to work around that for the rest of the season. He doesnt imagine that calderwood has very much money to spend at all.

Im sure there was more but all of what he said made sense, we are a business not a football club.

A lot of that doesn't really add up to me. Sir Tom setting budget? How? Why?

How do you replace a £4 million player at Hibs?

What terms did this guy leave on?

SlickShoes
19-01-2011, 08:22 PM

The board take a plan to him at the start of each season, he tweeks it as he sees appropriate for hibs to run and the board then work from that, that dictates what the manager has to spend.

Previous managers have assured the board that a younger player is in the wings or that they can get in a player almost as good.

NO idea.

See bold italics

ancient hibee
19-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Martin is a good guy but by the time he was asked to step down from the board he wasn't contributing much and he felt he should stay as a reward for being a good hibee.So he left under bad terms.In Martin's day STF did have a say in the budget because he was providing most of it or securing it.That isn't the case now.

7Hero
A lot of that doesn't really add up to me. Sir Tom setting budget? How? Why??

Ive been saying this for years Farmer is the owner, of course he controls the budget..Only other person with ownership is Rod and guess who he works for..

Unless farmer is bought out the club will continue in this vain..

007 Mickey Weir
He can across as honest. He just said it as it is. We are business and need to live within our means. unlike teams like Hearts and Dundee Utd we are not going to be bankrolled by Sir Tom.
It sounds like Sir Tom just wants us to stay away from big debt but won't be putting his hand in his pocket.

I am still baffled how we can't invest a little more. We could splash the cash a little on hot prospects like Rooney and see it as an investment for the future.

Please Hibs give us fans a break and something to be happy about as the team is dying!!!!

GGTTH

Beefster
19-01-2011, 08:25 PM

He was on the Board so I'd tend to think he knew what he was talking about.

IIRC, he left after falling out with Rodders. I don't think that makes any difference to what he's saying though (unless you're claiming that he may be lying).

7Hero
19-01-2011, 08:25 PM
.In Martin's day STF did have a say in the budget because he was providing most of it or securing it.That isn't the case now.

owners dont become uninterested in there businesses, especially tom farmer.

CRAZYHIBBY
19-01-2011, 08:26 PM
its only a matter of time before someone will buy Hibs and plough in money.....might not be in our life time though:greengrin

Billy Whizz
19-01-2011, 08:28 PM
He said that Stokes was sold on the last day of the Transfer window because the Manager (Yogi) had a player coming who was equally as good. Duffy of Trakis?

PaulSmith
19-01-2011, 08:31 PM
He said that Stokes was sold on the last day of the Transfer window because the Manager (Yogi) had a player coming who was equally as good. Duffy of Trakis?

It was alledgedley Duffy, confirmed by Rod at the AGM that Hughes had the final say to sell stokes as he thought he had a replacement lined up in Duffy.
No, I didn't buy it then and don't buy it now.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 08:33 PM

I'm not sure thats correct, i thought Duffy was brought to the club before Stokes was sold?:confused: And it couldn't have been Trakys as he's nowhere near the same type of player, or even half as good as Stokes?

Billy Whizz
19-01-2011, 08:33 PM
It was alledgedley Duffy, confirmed by Rod at the AGM that Hughes had the final say to sell stokes as he thought he had a replacement lined up in Duffy.

Agree with you on that, but that seems to be the Company Line.

Jim44
19-01-2011, 09:10 PM

Was Hughes not quoted as saying that he would never have let Stokes go if he had known he was going to be sacked?

ekhibee
19-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Stokes was replaced by a player on a loan deal?

JCHibby
19-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Correct, the Stokes deal was done n dusted months before.... Source the man himself

Kaiser1962
19-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Was Hughes not quoted as saying that he would never have let Stokes go if he had known he was going to be sacked?

I think Yogi said something like that if he'd known a) how pish we were going to be, or b) that Yogi was going to break Duffy's foot in training then he would have "fought harder" to keep Stokes. There is speculation as to what he meant but it appears, from what others have said, that it was Stokes he would have tried to persuade to stay rather than Rod not to sell him.

ScottB
20-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I don't see the objection to the club being run 'like a business' as if that is some sort of shocking term. All clubs are businesses after all, whether we like it or not.

We currently spend about 65% of our turnover on wages, what exactly do folk want that to go up to in order to fund even more player spending? 65% sounds like about as high as any sane club will go, and somewhat torpedoes the myth that we don't spend anything on players, our wage budget has increased year on year for 3 or 4 years now.

The issue has been who this wage budget has been used on and how these players are being coached.

As for Sir Tom, what's the alternative? Surely an owner who stands back is the best we are going to get, anybody expecting someone to roll up and pour millions into the club each season is in dreamland, and that is the only way we are going to see some massive boost in player spending.

The club has to live within its means, and is right to do so, but let's not kid on that our budget isn't more than sufficient to compete with our rivals, I would imagine every manager in the country outside of the Old Firm and Hearts would love to have the wage budget we do.

ekhibee
20-01-2011, 01:01 AM
I don't see the objection to the club being run 'like a business' as if that is some sort of shocking term. All clubs are businesses after all, whether we like it or not.

We currently spend about 65% of our turnover on wages, what exactly do folk want that to go up to in order to fund even more player spending? 65% sounds like about as high as any sane club will go, and somewhat torpedoes the myth that we don't spend anything on players, our wage budget has increased year on year for 3 or 4 years now.

The issue has been who this wage budget has been used on and how these players are being coached.

As for Sir Tom, what's the alternative? Surely an owner who stands back is the best we are going to get, anybody expecting someone to roll up and pour millions into the club each season is in dreamland, and that is the only way we are going to see some massive boost in player spending.

The club has to live within its means, and is right to do so, but let's not kid on that our budget isn't more than sufficient to compete with our rivals, I would imagine every manager in the country outside of the Old Firm and Hearts would love to have the wage budget we do.
I couldn't say whether your quote of 65% of the turnover spent on wages is true or not,haven't studied the accounts, but maybe this quote from Martin O'Neill gives an indicator:"But Hibs are not the biggest payers. They have always tried to use around 50% of gate money on wages.
"Hibs is run as a business, not an ego trip for the owner, which is Sir Tom Farmer.
"And while he is a philanthropist in many areas and is benign towards Hibs he is not benevolent and will not make lots of money available."

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2011, 10:04 AM
I couldn't say whether your quote of 65% of the turnover spent on wages is true or not,haven't studied the accounts, but maybe this quote from Martin O'Neill gives an indicator:"But Hibs are not the biggest payers. They have always tried to use around 50% of gate money on wages.
"Hibs is run as a business, not an ego trip for the owner, which is Sir Tom Farmer.
"And while he is a philanthropist in many areas and is benign towards Hibs he is not benevolent and will not make lots of money available."

I have always been under the impression it was 100% of season ticket sales?:confused:

matty_f
20-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I have always been under the impression it was 100% of season ticket sales?:confused:

Perhaps he's talking about 50% of the walk-ups?

The board have said that season ticket money will be used for the team.

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Perhaps he's talking about 50% of the walk-ups?

The board have said that season ticket money will be used for the team.

No idea matty, although the walk up figure is a figure that changes from week to week, month to month, good and bad. I thought it just went towards the day to day running although that might be wrong?????

matty_f
20-01-2011, 10:11 AM
No idea matty, although the walk up figure is a figure that changes from week to week, month to month, good and bad. I thought it just went towards the day to day running although that might be wrong?????

I dunno either!

The Sea-gull
20-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Correct, the Stokes deal was done n dusted months before.... Source the man himself

If it was done and dusted months before then why was it not concluded until just before the window shut?

Hibs scared of the effect it would have had on ST sales?

mjhibby
20-01-2011, 10:50 AM

My mate,who knows a few of the players,said at the start of the season that stokes would go in january and that bamba wouldnt see the season out at er.That was in july and as usual he was right.

Phil D. Rolls
20-01-2011, 11:21 AM
It's amazing the kudos and credibility that any no mark, who claims to be close to the club gets, the minute they start saying what the fans want to hear. It's only a matter of time till the first "top businessman" breaks cover and we start a takeover feeding frenzy.

Who exactly is this guy?

johnrebus
20-01-2011, 11:34 AM
It's amazing the kudos and credibility that any no mark, who claims to be close to the club gets, the minute they start saying what the fans want to hear. It's only a matter of time till the first "top businessman" breaks cover and we start a takeover feeding frenzy.

Who exactly is this guy?

Martin O'Neill was the Labour MP for Clackmannanshire up until 2005, and a former Shadow Defence Secretary.

Definately not a 'no mark'. One of the very few politicians I could describe as being one of the good guys.

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
20-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Who exactly is this guy?

Martin O'Neill was the Labour MP for Clackmannanshire up until 2005, and a former Shadow Defence Secretary.

Definately not a 'no mark'. One of the very few politicians I could describe as being one of the good guys.

:greengrin

Any idea why he isn't on the board anymore? Not stirring, just want to get a better handle on his involvement with Hibs.

MB62
20-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Ok, so we are being run like a business.
This is the scenario, we have business that has been mis managed from top level due to years of poor, cheap option choices by the MD in appointing team managers.
This business is currently running at a loss due this factor and these losses will only get worse as it's customer base deserts in droves.
Three options IMO available.

Either invest to a greater degree by trying to attract better management and ultimately players, attracting back your lost customer (fans) base by being successful.

Continue going along as you are, in the hope that you can somehow entice enough customer to buy the product on view and break even.

Or cut your losses and close the place down.

I would hope the latter will never happen and the middle option has been the aim, IMO, for longer than I care to remember and has barely worked, but I have yet to see the first option being tried.

But that's business eh!

We currently spend about 65% of our turnover on wages, what exactly do folk want that to go up to in order to fund even more player spending? 65% sounds like about as high as any sane club will go, and somewhat torpedoes the myth that we don't spend anything on players, our wage budget has increased year on year for 3 or 4 years now..

That percentage rises, not because we are paying higher wages but because our income has dropped through gate receipts

johnrebus
20-01-2011, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=johnrebus;2700744]

Any idea why he isn't on the board anymore? Not stirring, just want to get a better handle on his involvement with Hibs.

His departure didn't cause any headlines at the time.

I believe that he did not see eye to eye with Rodders........,

:rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
20-01-2011, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=Filled Rolls;2700754]

His departure didn't cause any headlines at the time.

I believe that he did not see eye to eye with Rodders........,

:rolleyes:

You know I got the impression they weren't the best of pals. Doesn't make his opinion any less valid though. :agree:

Speedway
20-01-2011, 12:14 PM
The media haven't contacted O'Neill in all the years he's been away, but now the board are back under pressure, he gets asked his opinion.

As an unbiased observer obviously.

Did you know gullible has been taken out of the dictionary and replaced with a screenshot of the .net mainboard?

Phil D. Rolls
20-01-2011, 12:24 PM
The media haven't contacted O'Neill in all the years he's been away, but now the board are back under pressure, he gets asked his opinion.

Did you know gullible has been taken out of the dictionary and replaced with a screenshot of the .net mainboard?

No, but I do now! :greengrin Any news on the situation vis a vis the sky falling on our heads?

johnrebus
20-01-2011, 12:24 PM

Hibs.net is not gullible or paranoid.

But that does not mean that everyone else is not out to get us.........,

:eyes:

SlickShoes
20-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Sorry but i thought it was nice to hear something human sounding coming from someone who was a member of the board and clearly still has an interest in hibs.

Everything the board say sounds like it was crafted by a sensible robot, they are very careful and they make sure they never get mis quoted etc. All the years of this aloof board means that the fans dont see them as the hibs board anymore, they are automatons running the club with no human emotion and ££ signs for eyes.

Peevemor
20-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Sorry but i thought it was nice to hear something human sounding coming from someone who was a member of the board and clearly still has an interest in hibs.

Everything the board say sounds like it was crafted by a sensible robot, they are very careful and they make sure they never get mis quoted etc. All the years of this aloof board means that the fans dont see them as the hibs board anymore, they are automatons running the club with no human emotion and ££ signs for eyes.

:faf:

Speedway
20-01-2011, 12:47 PM

And so they should be, 'mon the emotionless master race.

oregonhibby
20-01-2011, 12:54 PM
If that is what he said he got it wrong.

Season Tickets and Walk-up Tickets make up c50% of the Turnover and 100% of that money is used towards funding the playing staff. The other 50% of turnover is made up of commercial revenues, sponsorship and net player sales.

Stated at most of the AGM's I have attended in the last 10 years.

SlickShoes
20-01-2011, 12:55 PM
:faf:

Thats not my opinion by the way, i meant to say thats how they come across!

Speedway
20-01-2011, 12:56 PM
If that is what he said he got it wrong.

Season Tickets and Walk-up Tickets make up c50% of the Turnover and 100% of that money is used towards funding the playing staff. The other 50% of turnover is made up of commercial revenues, sponsorship and net player sales.

Stated at most of the AGM's I have attended in the last 10 years.

k'sake OH, where's the conspiracy in that?

Who gave you the right to state facts? That's not what we're all about on here.

oregonhibby
20-01-2011, 01:12 PM
k'sake OH, where's the conspiracy in that?

Who gave you the right to state facts? That's not what we're all about on here.

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I am entitled to answers!
Jessop: You want answers?!
Kaffee: I want the truth!

Jessop: Son, we live in a world that has goals. And those goals have to be protected by men with gloves. Who’s gonna do it? You? You Mr Makalamby?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the team and you curse the players. You have that luxury. You have that luxury of not knowing what I know; that being beaten, while tragic, probably saves money in bonuses.

And my existence, whilst grotesque and incomprehensible to you, makes grief…..You don’t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about behind the goals, you want me saving money. You need me saving money.

You use words like loyalty, support, honesty….I use these words as the backbone to a life spent running something. You use ‘em like a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and and supports in the stands of the very stadium I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide them!

I’d rather you just said thank you and went on cheering on the players. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a pair of boots and start playing. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Kaffee: Did you sign the player?

Jessep: I did my job!

Kaffee: Did you sign the player?!?

Jessep: Yes I signed the goddam player!!

Any better?

KeithTheHibby
20-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Does it really matter Andy?

Are you suggesting that this man is telling lies on air?

At times I don't think you live in the real world and your defence of our beloved club is unbelievable.

matty_f
20-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I am entitled to answers!
Jessop: You want answers?!
Kaffee: I want the truth!

Jessop: Son, we live in a world that has goals. And those goals have to be protected by men with gloves. Who’s gonna do it? You? You Mr Makalamby?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the team and you curse the players. You have that luxury. You have that luxury of not knowing what I know; that being beaten, while tragic, probably saves money in bonuses.

And my existence, whilst grotesque and incomprehensible to you, makes grief…..You don’t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about behind the goals, you want me saving money. You need me saving money.

You use words like loyalty, support, honesty….I use these words as the backbone to a life spent running something. You use ‘em like a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and and supports in the stands of the very stadium I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide them!

I’d rather you just said thank you and went on cheering on the players. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a pair of boots and start playing. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Kaffee: Did you sign the player?

Jessep: I did my job!

Kaffee: Did you sign the player?!?

Jessep: Yes I signed the goddam player!!

Any better?

Straight from 'A Few Rank Players'?:greengrin

Peevemor
20-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Straight from 'A Few Rank Players'?:greengrin

Nah! - "A Few Good Moans"

ancient hibee
20-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I haven't got the 2010 accounts handy but in the 2009 accounts staff costs after deducting the Directors was about £4M(including commercial staff)-turnover was £7.7M-not a lot of room for expansion.