PDA

View Full Version : Message from the board (merged)

matty_f
19-01-2011, 04:27 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110119/together-we-are-stronger-_2262950_2271014

Interesting stuff.:agree:

KWJ
19-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Indeed. And I do agree with it but it's hard ****ing work.

And if listening to the fans is so important why are we part of the group pushing for a 10 team league.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2011, 04:30 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110119/together-we-are-stronger-_2262950_2271014

I think they needed to say something as last night was again unacceptable and one of the lowest points in the recent history of Hibernian.

Hibs90
19-01-2011, 04:31 PM
To summarise; We know the crowds are going to drop even further so this is a plea for you to come back by us spouting some pish.

Petrie GTF.

Craig_in_Prague
19-01-2011, 04:33 PM
the fans have done their bit.......and NOTHING !

He wants them to continue supporting this pish for a few more months, whilst it takes us down, So next season we'll suffer as fans whilst they players move on.

nice !

Re-double your efforts alright Petrie. whatever you are doing, do it better, faster and sort out this mess!

givescotlandfreedom
Indeed. And I do agree with it but it's hard ****ing work.

And if listening to the fans is so important why are we part of the group pushing for a 10 team league.

Very true.

bringbackbenny
Hmmm. Can't argue with any of that but at the end of the day it's talk and talk is cheap.

Players and management need to start walking the walk!

BigKev
19-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Could have been said at any stage over the past year. I hope they're not empty words but an indication standards will not be allowed to fall any further (could that be possible?) and they are demanding an improvement by all.

Scooter
19-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I have to admit I'm extremely shocked that this has been released. I mean I never expected to hear anything from the board. At the same time though he's gave nothing away in regards their current feeling on the manager etc, I guess that's a ggod thing as there's no vote of confidence so they are behind him, but they'd have to be

CallumLaidlaw
19-01-2011, 04:36 PM
To summarise; We know the crowds are going to drop even further so this is a plea for you to come back by us spouting some pish.

Petrie GTF.

Not defending him, but they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.

He has 12 days to back up his words tho

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Told you they read this website :agree:

Like someone else said - we can all talk a good game.

I want action - show me people care. Show me on the pitch we are improving.

That's what matters :agree:

Whose our scout co-ordinator then ?

blindsummit
19-01-2011, 04:37 PM
"the players want to win..."

Really? I'm not sure I could have said that without blushing if I was Rod.

ScottB
19-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Good statement, mostly that a statement was made at all is encouraging.

Let's see if some relevant action follows these pretty words!

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 04:38 PM
What's the missed out on Scottish Cup Final bit - we were 3 games away from that ? :confused:

Pretty Boy
19-01-2011, 04:38 PM
You can't fault the message that has been put accross in that statement.

Unfortunately talk is cheap and we need to see actions. Hopefully we see some movements in the next few days that confirm all the 'unseen work' that is being alluded to.

PatHead
19-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Last week I said the board needed to engage the fans and I suppose it is at least an attempt to do so. (Please Rod that words are cheap though!)

Don't agree they engage fans and take our opinions into account when we keep saying we don't want a 10 team league.

Stevie Reid
19-01-2011, 04:39 PM
It's a good statement and a clear sign that they can do things quickly when they really need to be done.

It may not be the last time this season they need to take swift and necessary action.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Petrie GTF.

Or. We are in the ****** let's not panic and back Hibs.

persevere1875
19-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I for one am glad that the Board have seen fit to conme out and say something publicly to the support, it would have been far to easy to sit on their hands, ignore the demands from the support for some kind or reaction to the current situation and leave us all in the dark as usual, full credit to them now back it up.

GGTTH

greenlex
19-01-2011, 04:41 PM
What's the missed out on Scottish Cup Final bit - we were 3 games away from that ? :confused:

Telling us we have umpteen cup finals coming up trying to pick up points.

Hibercelona
19-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm glad the board have said something at least. But as another poster said. "Talk is cheap".

Its the actions you take thats are going to make a difference, not what is said.

We don't want to hear about how "tough" this window is.

Other teams in the SPL have managed to bring in a few additions to their squads already and we have yet to take any action at all, even although its us that need to take action most.

Everybody at the club needs to pull their fingers out and get this mess sorted, because it will cost us far more in the long run than it will if we sort it out now.

matty_f
19-01-2011, 04:42 PM
It's a good start, it acknowledges the problems and confirms that they are working to improve things.

Agree with the comments above that the proof is in the pudding, though, and without something to back it up the statement will likely cause more grief than good.

I do think it's about as much as they could have said to deal with the situation that's unfolding though, and to address the concerns as much as they could.

PeeJay
19-01-2011, 04:43 PM

It's the whole point of entering the competition, surely?:wink:

Andy74
19-01-2011, 04:46 PM
All that info was out there already and is just repeating what the Board have always said and what CC has been saying about trying to get players.

Fair do's for trying to make it clear again though in the face of what must have been a few enquiries!

Emerald
19-01-2011, 04:47 PM
It doesnt appear that any new signing are imminent though. What hapened to all the 'done deals'???? At least they've said something, thats a start. :thumbsup:

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 04:48 PM
It's the whole point of entering the competition, surely?:wink:

I just read it like if we won last night we would be in the final! :wink:

It's a good start to bringing unity back to the club - but words have to be backed up by action.

Better attitude on the pitch, players that will IMPROVE our squad would be a start.

They have been quiet for a while and I think they read these forums today and received several emails / letters and thought it would be easier to release a statement to the masses.

hibsboy90
19-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm glad to hear the board recognise that we are now in a relegation dogfight, and that we cannot possibly let this happen.

PeeJay
19-01-2011, 04:56 PM

It's a good start to bringing unity back to the club - but words have to be backed up by action.

Better attitude on the pitch, players that will IMPROVE our squad would be a start.

They have been quiet for a while and I think they read these forums today and received several emails / letters and thought it would be easier to release a statement to the masses.

Must admit reading the Board letter made me start looking forward to the next game, even after last night's debacle - in fact maybe we should keep Calderwood and all the players after all!
C'mon the Hibees!:flag:

ShanksSaidNo
19-01-2011, 05:04 PM
FFS. I feel as disilusioned as the next Hibby at the moment and am also in the boat of Petrie has taken us as far as he can, its time for him to hand over the reigns to a someone who is more football minded. But people coming on here in response and givin it 'talk is cheap' is just utter p*sh. We wanted to hear from the man - he's come out and he's given us a statement. He's done the first bit and now we should grant the man a bit of time to follow through on his 'talk' of bringing new players in.

Feed McGraw
19-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Leicester city didn`t find it too tough a window - couple o` minutes into the window : " we`ll have Bamba thank you very much".

We`ve always been a selling club, but we used to have a ready made replacement lined up.

BTW, Petrie`s statement has made me even more fed up. PATRONISING CLAPTRAP.

Top Pans Hibby
19-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Empty words

GreenPJ
19-01-2011, 05:14 PM

The better attitude is purely down to the players although CC has a responsibility in trying to motivate them but personal and professional pride should have some sort of reaction you would hope.

As for bringing in players its back to the old issue of, what is the point unless they are going to be better. I am sure we will have at least two players in but the quality of those players is always a risk in this window but we need fresh faces.

I do think it was a big issue for them to issue a statement. Ultimately falling numbers and disenchanted fans does nobody any good.

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Leicester city didn`t find it too tough a window - couple o` minutes into the window : " we`ll have Bamba thank you very much".

We`ve always been a selling club, but we used to have a ready made replacement lined up.

WTF did you expect him to say FFS? And Bamba's gone because he wanted to go. Get over it.

ronaldo7
19-01-2011, 05:16 PM
It doesnt appear that any new signing are imminent though. What hapened to all the 'done deals'???? At least they've said something, thats a start. :thumbsup:

The only time the board have applied the "Done deal", is when it's Done.

steviecarnie
19-01-2011, 05:19 PM
The Board remains focused on our core principles

does anyone know what this currently is?

i

Saorsa
19-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd imaging they must have had a real barrage of e-mails from disgruntled punters tae bother making this statement at all, otherwise we'd probably still have had nothing. I guess we'll find out soon enough whether is just cheap talk tae stop the punters turning away or whether it'll be backed up by some realaction action, I'll no be hauding my breath waiting on the latter.

HibeesLA
19-01-2011, 05:25 PM
We will re-double our efforts to add some fresh faces in this window for the fight ahead

If you have that much room to improve your efforts, then you weren't trying hard enough to begin with.

Hermit Crab
That statement seems like a loady pash to keep us fans of thier backs for a wee bit longer but stiill expecting us to pay our money every week

IMHO that is just a fob off by the club after last nights chants of Petrie GTF and they are trying to cool the flames. :bitchy: :duck:

E.T. is a Hibee
When I read that I do feel a wee bit better but I'm still pissed cause the players abviously dont want to play for the club bar two/three. I'm well fed up but I'm going to give it another go I think cause I think CC and the management team will turn it around and when they do we will appreciate the success a bit more.

A couple of really good signings either loan or not will kick start our season.

Saorsa
19-01-2011, 05:28 PM
does anyone know what this currently is?

iI'm sure there was a bit somewhere that alluded tae puting the best team possible on the park.

0.5/10 so far, epic fail

Forza Fred
19-01-2011, 05:29 PM

The above summarises my feelings entirely.

The Board tell us this transfer window is hard with clubs not committing to the last day in some instances.

Yet we cash in on the very first day, without apparently, any idea whatsoever of how we are going to replace him!!!!.

The message this gives - rightly or wrongly - is that the money is far more important than the possibility of leaving a large hole in the defence which could result in many goals against, which could result in relegation etc...

Take the money, and not so much run...but take the money and 'hope' I guess sums up the short sighted approch here..

Feed McGraw
19-01-2011, 05:31 PM
WTF did you expect him to say FFS? And Bamba's gone because he wanted to go. Get over it.

I expected him to F***in apologise. OK ? And everything is relevant, so maybe we can get guys that want to leave THEIR clubs, no?

And no, I`m not ready to get over it YET, but thanks for the cliche anyway.

SloopJB
19-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Does this not just show the predicament the board face?
they are asked to make a statement to the fans in response to a barrage of criticism so what do they do?
They make a statement to the fans.

that draws further criticism from those unwilling to accept what has been said in the statement.

Perhaps if the board had been told what to say in the statement, the nay sayers would have been happier to accept their own words.

Or not probably.

Sergey
19-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Well, I for one ain't taken in by this statement. The fact is, if we'd won by the odd goal last night then nothing would have been said.

The blame/fault for our sad demise lies at the door of the author. Fobbing us off with club rhetoric doesn't hide the fact that the team is pish and the club is facing a crisis.

.Sean.
19-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Mr Money has talked then, here's hoping some of the bull**** starts walking.

Get rid of these imposters now. The club needs a huge overhaul, starting at the very top.

You appoint the managers. You have the final say in who we sign. The buck stops at YOU Petrie, and YOU alone.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I expected him to F***in apologise. OK ? And everything is relevant, so maybe we can get guys that want to leave THEIR clubs, no?

Calderwood has stated be thought there was enough cover at the back.
Tend to agree with him it's up front and middle that's weak.

bingo70
19-01-2011, 05:39 PM

:agree:

TBH i normally try and find ways of defending the board as i don't really blame them for us being pish on the park, however i'd be keen to hear there take on why we can sell players without anyone lined up ready to come in (i'm not talking about targets who were still not definate signings lined up) but clubs we're trying to buy players from have the savvy to wait until they've got replacements.

hibiedude

Petrie GTF.

Totally agree I'm spending no more money watching this lot

E.T. is a Hibee
Interesting in its predictability.
I had a view on Calderwood when he came.I said I would give him a chance.There's nothing he's done so far other than convince me that he is thick,uninspiring,tactically inept and has put me in a position where I have no reason to go back and spend money until he's gone.He has continued to play DeGraff and if that's not a sign of being mentally deficient I don't know what is.
I don't care about any reprecussions involved with binning him.
We've made a mistake and IMO he's not going to prove me wrong,so for me any time between now and when he goes is time wasted.
Maybe brutal but that's the way it is!

Typical!

bingo70
19-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Calderwood has stated be thought there was enough cover at the back.
Tend to agree with him it's up front and middle that's weak.

He never played Hanlon and Dickoh together before bamba left i don't think so he couldn't have had that much faith in the partnership, especially considering we'd been shipping goals and done a lot of shuffling of the team during that period.

GreenPJ
19-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Interesting in its predictability.
I had a view on Calderwood when he came.I said I would give him a chance.There's nothing he's done so far other than convince me that he is thick,uninspiring,tactically inept and has put me in a position where I have no reason to go back and spend money until he's gone.He has continued to play DeGraff and if that's not a sign of being mentally deficient I don't know what is.
I don't care about any reprecussions involved with binning him.
We've made a mistake and IMO he's not going to prove me wrong,so for me any time between now and when he goes is time wasted.
Maybe brutal but that's the way it is!

Brilliant but it is the board's job to care.

So in your view what should happen to CC now and who should come in?

greenlex
19-01-2011, 05:43 PM
He never played Hanlon and Dickoh together before bamba left i don't think so he couldn't have had that much faith in the partnership, especially considering we'd been shipping goals and done a lot of shuffling of the team during that period.

Cos Bamba was here and Grounds could also cover before Boro wanted him back.

jacomo
19-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Must have pained Rod to state publicly that the club is looking for players, a small sign that the chairman recognises the seriousness of the current situation I guess.

This was also a statement of faith (of sorts) in CC so not just an empty guesture - this is Hibs communicating directly with the support.

The 10-club plan for the SPL is a separate issue and shouldn't be debated here... Rod's got more pressing business to attend to between now and the end of the month.

bingo70
19-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Cos Bamba was here.

Aye but when Bamba was at Leicester he wasn't here :greengrin

What i mean is if he thought Hanlon and Dickoh could be a decent partnership and be an adequate replacement for Bamba leaving i'd have thought he'd have tried that partnership together considering Bamba wasn't going through a great run of form at the time.

H!BEE
19-01-2011, 05:49 PM
WE GOT WHAT WE WANTED,

And its sounding good to me!!

ROd has taken some amount of stick, probly unfairly from emotional fans, myself
included.

Maybe we needed the cup defeat, like we just hit rock bottom, ONLY ONE WAY UP!!!

I will continue to give the club my support! Last time we went down I still followed my team, and if the worst comes to the worst I will probly do the same!

So the fitball is crap, so what! its better than going shopping with (edit) THE wife!!!!

Wouldnt it be good if the whole stadium joined in with the singing section

CALDERWOODS GREEN WHITE ARMY CALDERWOODS GREEN WHITE ARMY!!!

:flag::flag:

hughio
19-01-2011, 05:53 PM
The statement in itself should be welcomed as a recognition that action is needed.
It is also an acknowledgement of responsibility by the Chairman.
It is his job to sort this mess and if he doesnt then he knows who is responsible.

Clearly he will resign if things dont improve.

Right Rod?

greenlex
19-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Aye but when Bamba was at Leicester he wasn't here :greengrin

What i mean is if he thought Hanlon and Dickoh could be a decent partnership and be an adequate replacement for Bamba leaving i'd have thought he'd have tried that partnership together considering Bamba wasn't going through a great run of form at the time.

Possibly. Without knowing early enogh of Bambas departure might have had something to do with that. Cash early doors in this Window to chase targets for areas that are weakest is my bet.

SloopJB
19-01-2011, 05:54 PM
So the fitball is crap, so what! its better than going shopping with your wife!!!!

HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE GOING SHOPPING WITH MY WIFE?:grr:

H!BEE
19-01-2011, 05:59 PM
lol :flag::top marks

Emerald
19-01-2011, 06:02 PM
The only time the board have applied the "Done deal", is when it's Done.
What I meant was that some folk were coming on here saying deals had been done and would be announced soon. What this message implies is that they don't appear to be close to getting anyone in soon. If they were near to a signing, I'm sure he would have said that they hoped to announce something soon, or words to that effect. As it is, they seem to be scrambling around looking for players. I may, and hope to be proved wrong but its not looking good for getting the much needed players we require now.

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 06:04 PM
What I meant was that some folk were coming on here saying deals had been done and would be announced soon. What this message implies is that they don't appear to be close to getting anyone in soon. If they were near to a signing, I'm sure he would have said that they hoped to announce something soon, or words to that effect. As it is, they seem to be scrambling around looking for players. I may, and hope to be proved wrong but its not looking good for getting the much needed players we require now.

Folk on here (apart from me :greengrin) talk pish

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 06:06 PM

It looks like the guys that we want are not as keen to leave as Bamba, or if they are they are not keen to come here.

No need to thank me, you are very welcome :greengrin

Top Pans Hibby
19-01-2011, 06:08 PM
It's not just Petrie we need to hear from. It's also time Farmer came out and explained what his long term aims are for the club are or otherwise.

Personally speaking I think Petrie and Farmer's time has come and gone.

New blood is required or we will only spiral deeper into decline.

Emerald
19-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Folk on here (apart from me :greengrin) talk pish
So what are you trying to say, I shouldn't believe what people say on here? Here I am thinking we were going to sign Messi too!:boo hoo:

SouthamptonHibs
19-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Thats it we're Doomed now!

Rodders has come out and said every games a cup final now until the end of the season!

He must no how bad our cup final record is over the course of our 135 year History...

DoonTheSlope
19-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I applaud the board for releasing a statement, they had to do this. Which is commendable.

However actions are stronger than words, I will reserve judgement until I see some action.

E.T. is a Hibee
19-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm sure you'll settle down a bit once you're a married man! :greengrin
Sure you're doing the right thing?:duck:

Did you just post that Hibs should take Yogi back?

bingo70
19-01-2011, 06:13 PM
It's not just Petrie we need to hear from. It's also time Farmer came out and explained what his long term aims are for the club are or otherwise.

Farmer has been saying since day one what his plans are for the club, just because we're having a bad season doesn't mean he needs to come out and say it again.

With regards to Farmer and Petries time being up, surely it's not like just sacking a manager and employing a new one, does someone not need to offer to buy his shares, if noone is out there looking to take over then he's not going anywhere :dunno:

IWasThere2016
19-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, I for one ain't taken in by this statement. The fact is, if we'd won by the odd goal last night then nothing would have been said.

The blame/fault for our sad demise lies at the door of the author. Fobbing us off with club rhetoric doesn't hide the fact that the team is pish and the club is facing a crisis.

:agree: Feigned concern.

Feed McGraw
19-01-2011, 06:17 PM
It looks like the guys that we want are not as keen to leave as Bamba, or if they are they are not keen to come here.

No need to thank me, you are very welcome :greengrin

OK Mr. Falcon, we`re all hurting, sorry for getting "nippy", but you were a wee bit nippy too. :greengrin

ScottB
19-01-2011, 06:20 PM

So Farmer's time is up, why exactly?

And who to you propose to magic into existence and buy him out?

Beefster
19-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I've said what I think should happen to CC.As to who I think should come in...on a deal till the end of the season to be renegociated at that time..Either Collins or Yogi(although I did think he should have been sacked).. These are my gut feelings.

Eh? You want to bring Hughes back to sort out the mess he's gotten us into? Am I reading this right?

Hughes record in his last 28 competitive games - 4 won, 6 drawn, 18 lost. Relegation form.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 06:24 PM
:agree: Feigned concern.

So he's not concerned then? He will be in that counting house surrounded by cash counting away by candlelight not giving a toss.

ScottB
19-01-2011, 06:24 PM
I've said what I think should happen to CC.As to who I think should come in...on a deal till the end of the season to be renegociated at that time..Either Collins or Yogi(although I did think he should have been sacked).. These are my gut feelings.

So your plan is to entrust our survival and squad rebuilding to one guy who had no bottle, another guy who had no tactics and both made some of the worst signings in our recent history?

May as well just forfeit the rest of the season's games!!

Top Pans Hibby
19-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Farmer has been saying since day one what his plans are for the club, just because we're having a bad season doesn't mean he needs to come out and say it again.

With regards to Farmer and Petries time being up, surely it's not like just sacking a manager and employing a new one, does someone not need to offer to buy his shares, if noone is out there looking to take over then he's not going anywhere :dunno:

So we just sit back and accept it??? Farmer stated 20 years ago his intentions......no need to question then??? No further insight required? What about a review of his current plans whatever they may be?

Petrie is the Chairman of a co. that has now performed abysmally year on year on year. In any other business the shareholders would have demanded his head. However I suppose we are just silly football supporters, some of whom have laid out close on £800 for family season tickets......Petrie is relying on the type of apathy you describe above.

Get real or watch your club go into terminal decline

Archie70
19-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Its like something Romanov would write. Its utter dross telling us nothing new and is basic in the extreme. A few sentimental lines aimed at a wee tug on the heart strings in the hope that we'll fill the ever increasing number of empty seats.

Brizo
19-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Unless the statement is followed by signings it will go down imo as damage limitation propaganda,

Unless the statement is followed by players showing a genuine team spirit and commitment to the cause it will go down imo as damage limitation propaganda.

Unless the statement is followed by our management team motivating players to perform to their capabilities it will go down imo as damage limitation propaganda.

We can only hope that the statement is followed by some tangible action in the above areas.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 06:29 PM
So we just sit back and accept it??? Farmer stated 20 years ago his intentions......no need to question then??? No further insight required? What about a review of his current plans whatever they may be?

Petrie is the Chairman of a co. that has now performed abysmally year on year on year. In any other business the shareholders would have demanded his head. However I suppose we are just silly football supporters, some of whom have laid out close on £800 for family season tickets......Petrie is relying on the type of apathy you describe above.

Get real or watch your club go into terminal decline

I don't demand the head of board members of M&S when it's going Pete Tong for them.
If I was a shareholder and my share price was on the slide on a yearly basis I would.
Are you a shareholder?

EasterRoad4Ever
19-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Good that they actually responded to the criticism and feelings of the fans, HOWEVER, it was full of the usual rhetoric calling on the fans to try bail the club out when its clear that the players are incapable of responding to any form of encouragement from the manager, Board or fans.

The patient needs radical, emergency, life-saving surgery ..... not some encouraging words, time to recover and an asprin.

I actually find it offensive that Petrie could not find it in him to APOLOGISE to the fans for the horrendous situation the club finds itself in and for the truly awful performances of the team stretching back over 1 year. This says more about the level of standards that is acceptable at the club, the level of aspiration and ambitions than anything.

Petrie is not fit for office and needs to be replaced or hounded out of the club. Only then can we start to more forward with any purpose or vision for the playing side of the club.

Petrie - YOUR standards are not high enough - ship out now.

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 06:33 PM
So what are you trying to say, I shouldn't believe what people say on here? Here I am thinking we were going to sign Messi too!:boo hoo:

Its been said on here before that Messi is far too wee :greengrin

1875 NO 1
19-01-2011, 06:36 PM

No.

Condesending rubbish.

Petrie resign. Club is a shambles.

SaulGoodman
19-01-2011, 06:40 PM
It's what people wanted, they sent in emails regarding why we had made no signings and how the club is in a dangerous position. And instead of the board taking the easy option of not replying they acknowleged the fact we are in a crisis and referred to the fact that just because we haven't made any signings yet doesn't mean we wont.

matty_f
19-01-2011, 06:41 PM
So he's not concerned then? He will be in that counting house surrounded by cash counting away by candlelight not giving a toss.
:agree: The idea that Petrie wouldn't be concerned about how the team are doing and the fans feeling is absurd in the extreme.

Everybody says he's a money man, well in a business to make money you need to look after your customers, and in sport to make money you need to be successful.

To suggest that the heid honcho would pretend to be concerned about it is just ridiculous.

Sumner
19-01-2011, 06:41 PM
In Summary:

"Keep giving us your money as you have for years,
while we keep failing to invest anything on the park
... Cheers mug punters, Rodders"

2 words, and the second one is "OFF"

Jack
19-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I’ve only met RP a few times but he comes across as someone who is very proud in what he does, even though there are those among us who would disagree with what he’s done. :tin hat:

It must have taken some balls for him to reiterate the clubs policy and on the work the club is doing to bring in new players. I’ll bet he’s spitting blood it ever got to this stage.

Still it’s done; I’d rather such a statement had been made to coincide with the signing of a player – about a week or more ago.

Beefster
19-01-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't demand the head of board members of M&S when it's going Pete Tong for them.
If I was a shareholder and my share price was on the slide on a yearly basis I would.
Are you a shareholder?

If M&S was producing utter rubbish, I'd just stop eating their food. You think we should just withdraw our custom from Hibs?

steakbake
19-01-2011, 06:49 PM

I read into it that he's worried about the form but seemingly more worried that people will stop turning up to ER (and spend money on a piss poor product).

Sorry, but this doesn't wash. I remember the "newspaper" that was issued when we were going through the rubbish with Mixu. He didn't say anything about Yogi. Now a statement after probably what is our worst result in recent years. It's crumbs from the table, a splash of pish on your shoes from the trough.

I would exempt CC from this just now, but the fact of the matter is that this board has consistently failed to bring in a manager with any lasting success. We have spent money on players who have consistently failed to improve results and the fortunes of the club over the years. We have made no tangible improvement year on year. We have a great stadium and apparently, every player that comes to see us and eventually joins normally says that it was the training facilities what done it.

But the reality is that it is all the Emperor's New Clothes. Underneath it all, we have nothing. We are powderpuff, useless on the park, unable to improve and despite all our wonderful improvements off the park, we are no better off and arguably, actually worse than we were before all the wonders were built.

The only constant over these years is the Chairman.

Alfred E Newman
19-01-2011, 06:50 PM
When I read that I do feel a wee bit better but I'm still pissed cause the players abviously dont want to play for the club bar two/three. I'm well fed up but I'm going to give it another go I think cause I think CC and the management team will turn it around and when they do we will appreciate the success a bit more.

A couple of really good signings either loan or not will kick start our season.

If it wasn`t for the embarrassing fact that we are in a relegation dog fight our season would be finished.

Beefster
19-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I’ve only met RP a few times but he comes across as someone who is very proud in what he does, even though there are those among us who would disagree with what he’s done. :tin hat:

It must have taken some balls for him to reiterate the clubs policy and on the work the club is doing to bring in new players. I’ll bet he’s spitting blood it ever got to this stage.

Still it’s done; I’d rather such a statement had been made to coincide with the signing of a player – about a week or more ago.

Don't agree that that statement 'takes balls' to make. It was probably written by Fife Hyland anyway.

essexhibee
19-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Nicked my avatar slogan the buggers :greengrin

Fair play to come out and give a good statement but we need to be doing our talking on the pitch.

We are now in a relegation battle and its so very frightening.

essexhibee
19-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Nicked my avatar slogan the buggers :greengrin

Fair play to come out and give a good statement but we need to be doing our talking on the pitch.

We are now in a relegation battle and its so very frightening.

EasterRoad4Ever
19-01-2011, 07:00 PM
It's what people wanted, they sent in emails regarding why we had made no signings and how the club is in a dangerous position. And instead of the board taking the easy option of not replying they acknowleged the fact we are in a crisis and referred to the fact that just because we haven't made any signings yet doesn't mean we wont.

Let's get one thing straight. Petrie did not write this. He has a PR man for that. And it didn't go anywhere near to admitting we are on crisis.

Petrie: "Those peg-selling peasants at the game were calling for my head last night, those ungrateful *******s". Stick a piece on the web telling them we're all in it together (deflect the focus) and that we're doing all we can, blah blah type stuff."

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2011, 07:01 PM
IMO The board have done what we have asked for and at least expressed their awareness of the situation we are in. So the usual " family home " " wall of noise " stuff ( which some do find patronising ) aside, they have at least said something.

If you want a wall of noise you need folk in the stadium. To do that you need several things to come together .... not least of which is a decent team :confused:

Some folk are getting it in the neck for bringing STF into the equasion. But the bottom line is that he is the owner of this mess. He must be the only owner of a football club in the world who is allowed by its supporters to totally abdicate any part of responsibility for its failings on the park.

As I have said many times on here. I am hugely grateful for STF's huge part in saving Hibs. But it was 20 years ago. He is obviously not prepared to sink any of his personal wealth into the team on the park, so is it not about time he set about finding a company or individual who is.

Ray_
19-01-2011, 07:01 PM

100% right.

jdships
19-01-2011, 07:10 PM
:

As it happens Bamba's deal with Leicester was set up and agreed long before the "window" opened .:greengrin

:devil:

zlatan
19-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Top, top management speak.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 07:11 PM
If M&S was producing utter rubbish, I'd just stop eating their food. You think we should just withdraw our custom from Hibs?

Yes just as in tge M&S analogy if this is done the product would need to improve before going back. The board know this and are acting. Yogi going was the star.

IWasThere2016
19-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Concerned about one thing - his pension/his stake. He's worried about attendances because it equals income. Do you seriously think he give one if there was 15,000 turning up - delivering a profit - to watch crap football with no chance of silverware. Would he ******!

new malkyhib
19-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Must have pained Rod to state publicly that the club is looking for players, a small sign that the chairman recognises the seriousness of the current situation I guess.

This was also a statement of faith (of sorts) in CC so not just an empty guesture - this is Hibs communicating directly with the support.

The 10-club plan for the SPL is a separate issue and shouldn't be debated here... Rod's got more pressing business to attend to between now and the end of the month.

So he should step down from whatever role he has in this committee at Hampden pushing for reconstruction - i'll bet the other Chairman are secretly p!ss!ng themselves silly behind his back when he's advocating a ten-team league that his own team's not going to be in.

Give it another 3 - 4 games when we're becoming detached and I bet they'll vote the change through and carry Petrie out of Hampden on their shoulders.

You couldn't make it up...

greenlex
19-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Concerned about one thing - his pension/his stake. He's worried about attendances because it equals income. Do you seriously think he give one if there was 15,000 turning up - delivering a profit - to watch crap football with no chance of silverware. Would he ******!

Leaving aside tge last two sentences this is exactly what a CEO charmian or whatever his title is these days should be concerned about. Without the product the paying punter won't come. You are letting your dislike for him or your "professional" judgement cloud your thinking on thelast two sentences. You don't know **** all about what RPs feelings on tge football front are anymore than I do. What I do know us he dies have Hibs best interests at heart fir whatever reason. To say he doesn't mean what his ataement says is nonsense IMO

Jack
19-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Don't agree that that statement 'takes balls' to make. It was probably written by Fife Hyland anyway.

OK, probably, but Rod would have to 'sign' it off.

francobaresi
19-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Sorry, but after reading - "That's why the travelling support at Somerset Park &, indeed, the singing section at ER have been an inspiration" - I gave up reading. Does that mean they would have been worse if we didn't sing or turn up? Because I don't see anyone being inspired on that pitch. Someone is taking us for a ride & I for one aint buying it for one minute.

Feed McGraw
19-01-2011, 07:26 PM
As it happens Bamba's deal with Leicester was set up and agreed long before the "window" opened .:greengrin

But obviously none of our deals were.

Sumner
19-01-2011, 07:27 PM
You don't know **** all about what RPs feelings on tge football front are anymore than I do. What I do know us he dies have Hibs best interests at heart fir whatever reason. To say he doesn't mean what his ataement says is noddles IMO

:confused: Once more in English?
Petrie is a profits man, an accountant first and foremost.
The abuse given will have bothered him perhaps, and triggered
the response today, but it's emphasis is to get fans to continue
to keep PAYING for the poor product. That's a money-motivated man.
The product on the park does not matter to Petrie, otherwise he would
spend - the long trend has been sell everyone, to bring in money, simple.
... "noddles"? :confused:

Andy74
19-01-2011, 07:28 PM
You sometimes have some useful things to say but it isn't half overshadowed with this obsessive nonsense about Petrie and his intentions. Still you dont really add to his pension do you?

francobaresi
19-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Let's get one thing straight. Petrie did not write this. He has a PR man for that. And it didn't go anywhere near to admitting we are on crisis.

Petrie: "Those peg-selling peasants at the game were calling for my head last night, those ungrateful *******s". Stick a piece on the web telling them we're all in it together (deflect the focus) and that we're doing all we can, blah blah type stuff."

So you his PR man then:wink:

Sumner
19-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Sorry, but after reading - "That's why the travelling support at Somerset Park &, indeed, the singing section at ER have been an inspiration" - I gave up reading. Does that mean they would have been worse if we didn't sing or turn up? Because I don't see anyone being inspired on that pitch. Someone is taking us for a ride & I for one aint buying it for one minute.

matty_f
19-01-2011, 07:31 PM
:confused: Once more in English?
Petrie is a profits man, an accountant first and foremost.
The abuse given will have bothered him perhaps, and triggered
the response today, but it's emphasis is to get fans to continue
to keep PAYING for the poor product. That's a money-motivated man.
The product on the park does not matter to Petrie, otherwise he would
spend - the long trend has been sell everyone, to bring in money, simple.
... "noddles"? :confused:

If Petrie was just a profits man, wouldn't it make more sense for him to have players bought and in place already where possible, in order to help the manager achieve cup runs and higher league placings, both of which are essential to bringing income to the club?

Sumner
19-01-2011, 07:34 PM
You sometimes have some useful things to say but it isn't half overshadowed with this obsessive nonsense about Petrie and his intentions. Still you dont really add to his pension do you?

Is that not an obsessive nonsense argument?
"You don't go as much as me caller,
so I'll cast that up continually and be more of
an authority than you!"

Let's say I go every match, am I any more
qualified to speak my opinion or not?

I watched the SAME merde every home match in Duffy's days,
but since then, there is now the added agenda of real talent sold as fast
as possible by the board, yet some of the "I go more than you"
brigade seem myopic to the point of blind faith, wake up
and see the ride you are being taken on by this board.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Is that not an obsessive nonsense argument?
"You don't go as much as me caller,
so I'll cast that up continually and be more of
an authority than you!"

Let's say I go every match, am I any more
qualified to speak my opinion or not?

I watched the SAME merde every home match in Duffy's days,
but since then, there is now the added agenda of real talent sold as fast
as possible by the board, yet some of the "I go more than you"
brigade seem myopic to the point of blind faith, wake up
and see the ride you are being taken on by this board.
I think you needto wake up. As a club we have moved on a million miles from the Duffy days.

Sumner
19-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I think you needto wake up. As a club we have moved on a million miles from the Duffy days.

Moved from bottom of the league to third bottom?
That's progress then, but give it time, Hibs are heading
there again by the look of things...
In the meantime, keep bypassing the main point that
the product on the park is not the focus of this board
just the bottom line, money in the gates... "noddles" indeed.

SaulGoodman
19-01-2011, 07:47 PM

I didn't say anywhere that Petrie wrote the article. And my opinion was that the fact that they admitted they had been inundated with emails regarding the clubs state was pretty much admitting they acknowlege they are in trouble.

reversep
19-01-2011, 07:48 PM
If Petrie was just a profits man, wouldn't it make more sense for him to have players bought and in place already where possible, in order to help the manager achieve cup runs and higher league placings, both of which are essential to bringing income to the club?

Or he hopes CC can get a better standard of performance from the remaining centre halfs and the 250k stays in the bank.

woodyloon
19-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Really glad that some sort of statement has been issued, and I hope that all that was said is true and not just cheap talk, I can't see why it should be.

I also appreciate that Hibs have had the decency to reply to the fans who have raised there concerns with the club.

As stated they appreciate we are in a dogfight, and it might be one that we lose, but I really hope that if that ends up being the case that it is not for the want of trying.

We need to believe in the club as much as the club needs to believe in us.

IWasThere2016
19-01-2011, 07:55 PM

:faf: You're the one obsessed with RP.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Couldn't care less about statements.

I just want to see Hibs win some football matches and sign some players. At the time of writing, we have done neither for a very long time.

If that continues much longer, there is a good chance that we will be relegated this season and if that was to happen, I would be looking for the manager to be sacked and for the chairman to step aside.

I thought I had stumbled across David Cameron's election manifesto when I read the "we're all in this together" stuff.

I don't care about January being a tough window in which to make changes. It is one of only two "windows of opportunity" that clubs have to make changes to their squad and for clubs who are struggling mid-season, it is vital that new faces are brought in. Other clubs seem to manage to bring in players in January, why not us?

We are garbage, we have been garbage for a year now and I see no sign of that downward trend being reversed any time soon. No words from the chairman, as genuine as they may well be, is going to change that.

ajay4hibs
19-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Really glad that some sort of statement has been issued, and I hope that all that was said is true and not just cheap talk, I can't see why it should be.

I also appreciate that Hibs have had the decency to reply to the fans who have raised there concerns with the club.

As stated they appreciate we are in a dogfight, and it might be one that we lose, but I really hope that if that ends up being the case that it is not for the want of trying.

We need to believe in the club as much as the club needs to believe in us.

agreed this is exactly what was asked for this morning and over past few weeks and now its there and very public there is still critism omg really!!!

well done for the very unprecidented statement it has given me some faith and heart back and i will be going to the next home match as a season ticket holder and i will will be cheering on my team, my love, my passion (maybe not individuals) but my team, your team, our team!!!!

one thing i love about being part of this family is we dont abandon even when the going gets tough, we stick in together and we stay stronger (omg did he say that too)

GGTTH ALWAYS

seanraff07
19-01-2011, 09:01 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9367401.stm

Apparently RP is doing everything he can to recruit new players.. surely if he was trying that hard we would have at least came close to signing someone by now?

I'm not asking to make signings for the sake of but christ any old player has got to be an improvement on this bunch of wage thieves we have at the moment.:rolleyes:

Sumner
19-01-2011, 09:11 PM
... perhaps he will run out of time,
and despite his best efforts the January window
will shut with no money spent, perhaps...

down the slope
19-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I still don't think the board realise the merde we are in , pull together etc is not going to win us games. we have the worst team in the SPL and i don't see where our next point is coming from let alone a win. I really fear for us unless they launch a cheque book rescue mission-spend plenty now to save millions in the future but i would not hold my breath on that one , the board are sleep walking into oblivion.

HibbyDave
19-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Carlsberg don't do "Chairman's Statements" but if they did........

Rod,FFS please just bite the bullet and sack/buy out contracts of a minimum of 6 "first team regulars" whose contracts expire anyway in 5 months time. It's cheaper than sacking another manager/watching the club get relegated.

NO MORE RHETORIC

Feed McGraw
19-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Couldn't care less about statements.

I just want to see Hibs win some football matches and sign some players. At the time of writing, we have done neither for a very long time.

If that continues much longer, there is a good chance that we will be relegated this season and if that was to happen, I would be looking for the manager to be sacked and for the chairman to step aside.

I thought I had stumbled across David Cameron's election manifesto when I read the "we're all in this together" stuff.

I don't care about January being a tough window in which to make changes. It is one of only two "windows of opportunity" that clubs have to make changes to their squad and for clubs who are struggling mid-season, it is vital that new faces are brought in. Other clubs seem to manage to bring in players in January, why not us?

We are garbage, we have been garbage for a year now and I see no sign of that downward trend being reversed any time soon. No words from the chairman, as genuine as they may well be, is going to change that.

For me , apart from some decieving, encouraging "blips", we have been garbage for 4 years, YES, 4 years, leading up to the league cup final of March 2007 we were ropey and after a great performance in it, we were ropey again, and been pretty average or poor ever since.

Sumner
19-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I still don't think the board realise the merde we are in , pull together etc is not going to win us games. we have the worst team in the SPL and i don't see where our next point is coming from let alone a win. I really fear for us unless they launch a cheque book rescue mission-spend plenty now to save millions in the future but i would not hold my breath on that one , the board are sleep walking into oblivion.

agreed :agree:

snooky
19-01-2011, 09:17 PM
If you have that much room to improve your efforts, then you weren't trying hard enough to begin with.
That's what I was thinking :agree:

Feed McGraw Quote "For me , apart from some decieving, encouraging "blips", we have been garbage for 4 years, YES, 4 years, leading up to the league cup final of March 2007 we were ropey and after a great performance in it, we were ropey again, and been pretty average or poor ever since."

Spot on, Monsieur

Davy Mac
19-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Lip service as far as I can see it and it's a bit patronising at that.

We want to see some action not words, all sounds a bit re-active to me, surely RP could see the team has been utter gash since last crimbo and changes were required again when the summer duds have failed.

He might see the big picture in Hibs as a business but clearly he doesn't with a fitba team.

Sumner
19-01-2011, 09:22 PM

We want to see some action not words, all sounds a bit re-active to me, surely RP could see the team has been utter gash since last crimbo and changes were required again when the summer duds have failed.

He might see the big picture in Hibs as a business but clearly he doesn't with a fitba team.

exactly :agree:

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Can this not be merged with the board statement thread?

It's the same story :agree:

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I have been listening to the anti-Farmer claptrap for about 20 years. From the suggestion that he's some sort of carpetbagger to some crap that we actually owned Straiton and he took it of us. We've heard it all over the last 20 years. Same with Petrie over the last 10-14 years.

I cant help being cynical and that our current predicament is manna from heaven for some on here who have been trying to put the boot in for years and see this period as justification of the nonsense that has been spouted for years.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2011, 09:29 PM
The speed with which Scottish football is going down the pan, I just cannae fathom the point of that new stand being required, even if they did get it at a good price. Surely get the product on the park right, then, fair enough build a bigger ground if you are consistently selling out. We very rarely filled the ground when the old east was there, at least it wasnt the sanitised boring nonsense that we tolerate now tho! Field of Dreams doesnae work when the product on that field is pish!

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 09:30 PM
And you know we've not?

Apparently RP is doing everything he can to recruit new players.. surely if he was trying that hard we would have at least came close to signing someone by now?

I'm not asking to make signings for the sake of but christ any old player has got to be an improvement on this bunch of wage thieves we have at the moment.:rolleyes:

matty_f
19-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I have been listening to the anti-Farmer claptrap for about 20 years. From the suggestion that he's some sort of carpetbagger to some crap that we actually owned Straiton and he took it of us. We've heard it all over the last 20 years. Same with Petrie over the last 10-14 years.

I cant help being cynical and that our current predicament is manna from heaven for some on here who have been trying to put the boot in for years and see this period as justification of the nonsense that has been spouted for years.

:top marks

nortonhibby
19-01-2011, 09:34 PM

A cunning reply it means we are doing our best but it is hard going only a few days left RP Has to splash the cash and get us out of this mess i feel i and my fellow Hibs Fans are being made fools off RP Has no intentions of spending a penny the balance sheet is to important i would add how much have we lost to the bottom line RP By going out of the Scottish Cup so early ? how much money do we receive for 11th place in the SPL ? Your Shiney new Stand do you realise that we do not need to buy season tickets now.
Why bother we can pick or choose our games subject to form Mr RP You have ruined my club you are an accountant you know nothing about our passion for Hibernian FC:flag:

And the cheap option when appointing managers has returned to Haunt you.

Davy Mac
19-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Pre-meditated Corporate puff speak from our PR company.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2011, 09:35 PM
And you know we've not?

Are you related to someone on the board? I think its acceptable for folk to be venting their spleen just now. Almost every thread on this board has you defending the almost indefensible!

500miles
19-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Heard this line before. Look where we've ended up.

IWasThere2016
19-01-2011, 09:38 PM

Greenblood70
19-01-2011, 09:40 PM

:top marks:agree:

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Are you related to someone on the board? I think its acceptable for folk to be venting their spleen just now. Almost every thread on this board has you defending the almost indefensible!

OK we're all frustrated but what do you suggest? Lets sign players but what ones? Both Calderwood and Petrie are saying they are being frustrated in their attempts to sign players. Do you think they are lying?

I am not "defending the indefensible" as you put it just pointing out that some of the stuff is basically nonsense.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Of course the board know we are in the ****. They are intelligent human beings FFS. So
Some of the crap I am reading is almost beyond belief.
The notion they are sitting twiddling their thumbs is laughable it really is.

JimBHibees
19-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Nothing more than a stalling statement to appease. Bottom line IMO we have gambled on not getting players in earlier in the window in the hope we would have stumbled past Ayr and picked up a few points. Based on our form of the last couple of months that wasnt certain and it certainly wasnt a banker after the first game and the Celtic game to have not managed even one player either on loan or permanent from a lower league club is a sad indictment of either the types of players we are aiming for and/or the very strict budget attached. This lack of action in getting player/players in or out as well has come home to roost resulting in last nights debacle.

Taking aside the managerial abilities or otherwise of the respective management teams of Hibs and Aberdeen, they have managed to bring in 2 or 3 of exactly the types of signings we desperately need. To somehow imagine that Hibs have been jinxed to the extent of not being able to bring even a minor loan signing is very difficult for me to accept at this time. As some have said talk is cheap, what we need to happen in the next 10 days or so is 4 or 5 good quality signings with 3 being players that are first choice picks and not kids who will strengthen the pool and also the releasing of 2 or 3 of the individuals deemed to be the biggest problems in the dressing room whoever that may be. Action now.

matty_f
19-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Of course the board know we are in the ****. They are intelligent human beings FFS. So

This.:agree:

We've already heard CC give examples of three moves that have broken down for various reasons (none of which were financial, I might add).

Can't understand why this gets overlooked in favour of a more depressing viewpoint that the club are just sitting with their thumbs up their erses doing nowt.

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 09:45 PM

We've already heard CC give examples of three moves that have broken down for various reasons (none of which were financial, I might add).

Can't understand why this gets overlooked in favour of a more depressing viewpoint that the club are just sitting with their thumbs up their erses doing nowt.

Its not what some folk want to hear so its ignored.

PaulSmith
19-01-2011, 09:45 PM

On my part your talking pish.

A massive fan of STF and what he done 20 years ago but let's not forget that he wanted to take the club to straiton and also has a relegation under his belt.
Through his guarantees and injection of capital at normal interest rates, which were paid back by the football club, we avoided administration 8 years ago.
Petrie was the hard nosed businessman who was required to steady the ship and make the cuts required to return the club to profit and repay debts to STF and BoS. I also give him huge credit for employing McLeish who in turn brought in John Park, who in turn started the youth revolution which subsequently paid of the short term debts, built EM and completed the stadium.

My gripe is now that by being in power for so long, and pressing home a fiscal policy to the detriment of the football, he is in essence the bogeyman to a now quite large number of Hibs fans who feel disenchanted with the club and will not go back until he leaves.

So please spare me the emotional blackmail around 'we wouldn't be here' stuff. I've said my thanks many times over the years and indeed hear the same from Rod at the AGM.
How long am I supposed to thank someone and not say a bad word about them, I am enternally grateful for their efforts I really am but this does not excuse the current shambles of a club that I see before my very eyes.

IWasThere2016
19-01-2011, 09:46 PM

What reasons did he give? You got a link M?

Greenblood70
19-01-2011, 09:48 PM

I think two were injuries, dont have a link tho

PaulSmith
19-01-2011, 09:50 PM

And you still believe everything that comes out a football club Matty. Seriously, every last word?
Explain then last Friday morning CC starts training and expects 2 if not 3 players to sign that very day...are you telling me that all 2 of them got injured and another player got injured which stopped the other from coming..on a Friday where almost all other clubs rest up and definitely don't do contact games?

RickyS
19-01-2011, 09:52 PM
... perhaps he will run out of time,
and despite his best efforts the January window
will shut with no money spent, perhaps...

ah the dreaded Hibernian stumbling block strikes again!

Cal 7-0
19-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Condescending claptrap, comes out with total guff trying to appease the minions because the spotlight has finally turned on him and his penny pinching ways!! I'll believe what he's waffled when I see it but won't hold my breath but I will be prepared to see some past his sell by date no mark signing in the coming days!!

Always Hibs GGTTH!!

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm not saying be forever grateful Paul just that we need to be realistic. I couldnt even list the pish thats been talked about how Farmer's out to stitch us up and line his own pockets thats been posted for years. I mentioned Straiton cos there was a whole thread about how it was actually Hibs that owned the land at Straiton and Farmer had somehow took the land and built the development there. I could list many many others but theres no point.

Farmer has never said he would put money into Hibs or that he's even really that interested in football. If there's someone out there to take over that would be totally focused on the football team and pump millions into us I would be delighted. But at the moment there's not.

A massive fan of STF and what he done 20 years ago but let's not forget that he wanted to take the club to straiton and also has a relegation under his belt.
Through his guarantees and injection of capital at normal interest rates, which were paid back by the football club, we avoided administration 8 years ago.
Petrie was the hard nosed businessman who was required to steady the ship and make the cuts required to return the club to profit and repay debts to STF and BoS. I also give him huge credit for employing McLeish who in turn brought in John Park, who in turn started the youth revolution which subsequently paid of the short term debts, built EM and completed the stadium.

My gripe is now that by being in power for so long, and pressing home a fiscal policy to the detriment of the football, he is in essence the bogeyman to a now quite large number of Hibs fans who feel disenchanted with the club and will not go back until he leaves.

So please spare me the emotional blackmail around 'we wouldn't be here' stuff. I've said my thanks many times over the years and indeed hear the same from Rod at the AGM.
How long am I supposed to thank someone and not say a bad word about them, I am enternally grateful for their efforts I really am but this does not excuse the current shambles of a club that I see before my very eyes.

matty_f
19-01-2011, 09:55 PM

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/I-will-get-this-right.6693805.jp

"A couple of injuries happened to the two players we were talking to," said Calderwood, "and someone else got injured and that stopped a deal happening.

"It's not a money issue. We have progressed deals a little bit, so hopefully we can get something concluded. A little bit of freshening up will help. We have got to get improvement and we have to get the fans invigorated and this Cup tie might be something that helps to lift everyone."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9362987.stm

"We've progressed quite a lot this week but all the things that can stall a deal have probably happened," Calderwood told BBC Scotland.
"But we'll start again and hope one or two will re-ignite themselves.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I'll put suggestions forward when i get paid bombs, its not my job though. I'd like us to swoop like a ..., oh wait a min! to sign someone that will make a difference.

matty_f
19-01-2011, 09:58 PM
And you still believe everything that comes out a football club Matty. Seriously, every last word?
Explain then last Friday morning CC starts training and expects 2 if not 3 players to sign that very day...are you telling me that all 2 of them got injured and another player got injured which stopped the other from coming..on a Friday where almost all other clubs rest up and definitely don't do contact games?

I don't believe everything I read from a football club, Paul, however I haven't got any reason to believe that Calderwood would have lied about it - why would he make it up?

He could easily have said it came down to wages - managers say these deals fall through all the time if a player looks for more than we can afford.

What possible reason would Calderwood have to make it up? Seriously.

I know folk are on a downer with Hibs at the moment - I am too, but FFS we can at least stop the wild accusations of lying and whatever skullduggery is being implied by it all.

heretoday
19-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Any new faces would be better than this lot.

They'll have to get a move on. It's 19 Jan already and not a dish washed!

greenlex
19-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Any new faces would be better than this lot.

They'll have to get a move on. It's 19 Jan already and not a dish washed!

Nope they have to be the right faces. Any new faces landed us with Trakys and numerous others I have obliterated from my mind.

matty_f
19-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Nope they have to be the right faces. Any new faces landed us with Trakys and numerous others I have obliterated from my mind.

:agree: Correct - quality, not quantity is what's needed.

PaulSmith
19-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I don't believe everything I read from a football club, Paul, however I haven't got any reason to believe that Calderwood would have lied about it - why would he make it up?

He could easily have said it came down to wages - managers say these deals fall through all the time if a player looks for more than we can afford.

What possible reason would Calderwood have to make it up? Seriously.

I know folk are on a downer with Hibs at the moment - I am too, but FFS we can at least stop the wild accusations of lying and whatever skullduggery is being implied by it all.

What possible reason indeed other than that the Board have advised him to say otherwise.

The Voice Of Reason
19-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Well done to the board for releasing this statement. :agree:

Some swift action now required.

Hibs till I Die.

:flag:

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 10:14 PM
What possible reason indeed other than that the Board have advised him to say otherwise.

Do you really think the man is that much of a pussy?

I think that CC would, if dictated to or lied to, would tell them,rightly, to stuff it up their arse.

I also noticed that CC was not wearing the "black suit, white shirt and club tie" last night that some were claiming dictated by Rod the other week.

Perhaps Calderwoods rebelling :greengrin

matty_f
19-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Why the hell would they want to do that, Paul? Everyone knows how tight a ship Hibs run. If it came down to money would anyone be surprised if Calderwood said the deals fell through because the player priced themselves out of the move?

We all accept there is a limit to what we can afford.

By admitting that there are targets that we've gone after and not signed there's already a downer that whoever does come in will be labelled as a second choice - surely if the board were going to demand a cover-up they'd be as well saying that we had a few irons in the fire, and leaving it at that?

It's ludicrous, IMHO, to think that there's some big cover-up going on when there is a reasonable explanation being given for moves breaking down. It just doesn't add up, and by suggesting it all you are doing is increasing an already mounting movement of ill-feeling towards the club.

BEEJ
19-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Interesting example.

Signed after the summer window closed when the pool of players available to us was only those without a contract.

Sioux
19-01-2011, 10:28 PM

I'd certainly believe anything that came out of the club before your crap. You're suggesting that all two of them, or is that all three of them, or is it two plus amother player, got injured on a Friday. You're making it up. You've no got a clue.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I'd certainly believe anything that came out of the club before your crap. You're suggesting that all two of them, or is that all three of them, or is it two plus amother player, got injured on a Friday. You're making it up. You've no got a clue.

Read it again Chief before you become more red faced.
Did you see what I did there? :)

Leishy1995
19-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Watching Sky Sports News, aparently the board are backing him. That's the reaction, does anyone disagree?

Hermit Crab
19-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Watching Sky Sports News, aparently the board are backing him. That's the reaction, does anyone disagree?

I agree 100%. He needs a chance. Get this season out the way hopefully stay up and start and again next season :cool2:

Kaiser1962
19-01-2011, 10:47 PM
It wasnt actually an "official" vote of confidence was it? We all know what comes next if it was and we dont want to go through that again.

MountcastleHibs
19-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I really don't know what to think of this. I'm totally torn. Part of me thinks it's propaganda to keep the fans onside, and it is perhaps insulting the intelligence of the supporters in pieces.

But then part of me thinks, good on the board for coming out, putting their faith in their man, and giving the fans assurances. As many on here have said, the board can have as good intentions as they like, but it's their actions which they will be judged on. Not their words. Those days have long gone.

Leishy1995
19-01-2011, 10:52 PM
It wasnt actually an "official" vote of confidence was it? We all know what comes next if it was and we dont want to go through that again.

They just said the board have given him a vote of confidence, then a couple of people were talking, at least we know what's going on. In all honesty I'm surprised I picked it upi when I did it was before the break, it was arsenal, the hibernian board have given manager a vote of confidence today, some other sport, break.

greenlex
19-01-2011, 10:57 PM
They are filling space by making the headline up on the back of RP's. statement to the fans. If there was a full EPL or Championship or even a Euro night it wouldn't have got air space.

persevere1875
19-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I know ther's a lot of cheesed of Hibbys at the moment and quite rightly so but I dont buy the "Rod Petrie propoganda - get the hibs support on side again - sit on my hands until the windows shut and blame everyone else for deals not being concluded angle"

Rod Petrie can be accused of a lot of things, some with a basis of truth - He is undoubtably a tight arse git - some accusations that are just plain rubbish, but one thing Rod Petrie is not is 'stupid'.

IMO there's no way Rod Petrie put his name to that statement, whoever wrote it without knowing fine well he can fulfill his obligations, in fact I wouldnt be surprised based on the timing of the statement release if we dont see faces before the weekend.

Its fine for me to sit down here and say what we need now is to give them time and get behind the club in blind faith and hope, i dont pay my money every week, but that doesnt make the pain of our situation feel any less sharp and if i were there and I was still paying money at the turnstiles every week, thats what Id be urging every Hibs supporter to do, if were wrong we can revisit the discussion then but right now we need every bit of luck and support we can muster.

GGTTH

The_Sauz
19-01-2011, 11:17 PM
When STF took over Hibs 20 years ago, he said that when time was right and when someone came in with a proper business plan to insure to the future of the club, then he would sell!
A year or so after he took control someone came in with a bid to buy out his share of the club, and the reason he gave, was he person did not have any long term security plan for the club.

STF main aim for Hibs, was to build a solid foundation for the club and it supporters, and not to mention the Leith community as a whole. Now we all knew at the time, this was going to be a long term plan and it would be done in stages!

Stage 1 Clear all or most of the dept....Done
Stage 2 Build a new stadium....Done
Stage 3 Build a training & youth development centre.....Done

So in all, he has delivered what he promised at the beginning, plus he left RP to run the club on a day to day bases, with the strict instruction to live within our means and not get the club in a mess again!

Now I have spoken to a few friends within the Scottish game, and they could not believe a club like Hibs whould have 16 players out off contract at the same time, unless 2 things were going to happen!

1/ The board want Hibs to get relegated and don't want to have high wage bill with the current team still here.
2/ STF has agreed to sell Hibs at the end off the season, and the new owner wants to have their own manager (remember Calderwood did not apply for the job :wink:) in place and that he would bring in his own team with the owners money at the start of the new season.

Now I would say 2 is a more plausible plan than #1, not that it is true, but why would a club let 16 players walk at the end off a season?

greenlex
19-01-2011, 11:22 PM
When STF took over Hibs 20 years ago, he said that when time was right and when someone came in with a proper business plan to insure to the future of the club, then he would sell!
A year or so after he took control someone came in with a bid to buy out his share of the club, and the reason he gave, was he person did not have any long term security plan for the club.

STF main aim for Hibs, was to build a solid foundation for the club and it supporters, and not to mention the Leith community as a whole. Now we all knew at the time, this was going to be a long term plan and it would be done in stages!

So in all, he has delivered what he promised at the beginning, plus he left RP to run the club on a day to day bases, with the strict instruction to live within our means and not get the club in a mess again!

Now I have spoken to a few friends within the Scottish game, and they could not believe a club like Hibs whould have 16 players out off contract at the same time, unless 2 things were going to happen!

1/ The board want Hibs to get relegated and don't want to have high wage bill with the current team still here.
2/ STF has agreed to sell Hibs at the end off the season, and the new owner wants to have their own manager (remember Calderwood did not apply for the job :wink:) in place and that he would bring in his own team with the owners money at the start of the new season.

Now I would say 2 is a more plausible plan than #1, not that it is true, but why would a club let 16 players walk at the end off a season?

Relegation would be a financial disaster and if a new owner was coming in we would have just kept Hughes and binned him next year.
It's because the players aren't good enough for what we are paying them to take us where we want to be.

GreenPJ
19-01-2011, 11:24 PM

As you say neither of the options above are correct. No one would be foolish enough to want to get relegated with the lack of cash in the first division and no one is going to buy into Scottish football with all of the uncertainty on the go (even the Huns can't find a buyer and they effectively have Champs League guaranteed every second year).

I can only think that the Board recognised there was a culture problem at the club and the easiest way to eradicate it was to let contracts run down and get rid of players then if you can't sell them in the interim.

Iain G
19-01-2011, 11:36 PM
So it was either gonna be:

Hibs don't issue statement - fans complain about no communication from the board, that they don't care about the club/fans, Petrie and Farmer and in it for the money and that we're all doomed!

Hibs issue statement - fans complain about content of said statement and lots of "ahm no believing that bleedin propoganda", Petrie and Farmer are in it for the money and that we're all doomed!

The_Sauz
19-01-2011, 11:49 PM
As you say neither of the options above are correct. No one would be foolish enough to want to get relegated with the lack of cash in the first division and no one is going to buy into Scottish football with all of the uncertainty on the go (even the Huns can't find a buyer and they effectively have Champs League guaranteed every second year).

I can only think that the Board recognised there was a culture problem at the club and the easiest way to eradicate it was to let contracts run down and get rid of players then if you can't sell them in the interim.

They did have a buyer, but they were having some money issues in another country :greengrin
Buying Hibs would be far cheaper than buying Rangers, plus it would be easier to control the financial side of things, as our fans are less demanding (or maybe not :wink:)
As to culture problems at the club, this has been going on for over a decade and not something that has happened in the 2/3 years.

Forthview
20-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I definitely think he needs a chance and time to show that he can do his job.
He has inherited a squad that are in groups of young and inexperienced, lazy, hopeless or lacking in confidence/fitness. Every player has had a chance to impress, some have been dropped and brought back in and have let him down again. His best defender was sold and not replaced and no players of his choice have arrived so far. For me he has done everything you would expect from a new manager of any group of workers. You cant bin the guy for not having the ability to turn water (especially a yellowish water that stinks) into wine. Too many panic merchants around I believe.

IWasThere2016
20-01-2011, 05:58 AM
ah the dreaded Hibernian stumbling block strikes again!

Nah - RP went roond to their gaffs and stamped his hardest on their toes so they couldnae sign :agree: RP is a very bad man.

GloryGlory
20-01-2011, 06:30 AM
At the end of the day, actions speak louder than words.

Let's see some action to address the problems on the playing side.

marinello59
20-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Exactly. The board may have made strategic mistakes but all the stuff about not recognising the seriousness of the situation we are in now comes across as deluded nonsense.

marinello59
20-01-2011, 06:39 AM
So it was either gonna be:

Hibs don't issue statement - fans complain about no communication from the board, that they don't care about the club/fans, Petrie and Farmer and in it for the money and that we're all doomed!

Hibs issue statement - fans complain about content of said statement and lots of "ahm no believing that bleedin propoganda", Petrie and Farmer are in it for the money and that we're all doomed!

:greengrin

Septimus
20-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Exactly. I refuse to believe that Leicester had not arranged this deal before hand. That being the case why had Hibs not lined up a replacement or, being well aware of the shortcomings of the playing staff, some additions to the squad.

The plain fact is that Petrie appears to take the line that "we will warsle through" somehow or other. It is simply not good enough and the message from the board is hardly worth reading.

PaulSmith
20-01-2011, 06:52 AM

"A couple of injuries happened to the two players we were talking to," said Calderwood, "and someone else got injured and that stopped a deal happening. "

And on HibsTV CC told us that he went to training on Friday morning and expected 2 or 3 players to be signed upon his return.

I'm not the one making it up about players getting injured, I think it's laughable to suggest that all our first choice signing targets all got serious enough injuries within a short space of time to stop deals going through.

I suggest Sioux if you try to take the crap that you at least read what has been posted rather than go into rant mode.

Ray_
20-01-2011, 06:52 AM

Because playing with the budgets we do, signing players is a gamble & with the amount of turnover of players we have had recently & highlighted by the fact we are permanently in a position where we need to shift dead wood, hence the reason for short term contracts.

marinello59
20-01-2011, 06:58 AM
[/B]

Because playing with the budgets we do, signing players is a gamble & with the amount of turnover of players we have had recently & highlighted by the fact we are permanently in a position where we need to shift dead wood, hence the reason for short term contracts.

Look around you. Short term contracts are becoming more and more prevalent in football, it's the way it will be in cash strapped leagues from now on. It suits both sides. This is not just Hibs way of working.

The Falcon
20-01-2011, 07:26 AM
They did have a buyer, but they were having some money issues in another country :greengrin
Buying Hibs would be far cheaper than buying Rangers, plus it would be easier to control the financial side of things, as our fans are less demanding (or maybe not :wink:)
As to culture problems at the club, this has been going on for over a decade and not something that has happened in the 2/3 years.

Then I would buy Hibs if it wasnt for "money issues":greengrin

The contract situation WAS engineered by Yogi, Rod has said so at the AGM and Yogi, when asked about the situation while commentating on the Celtic game, had the opportunity to distance himself from the debacle and did not do so.

To buy a SPL club today you need to have more money than sense.

The Falcon
20-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Nah - RP went roond to their gaffs and stamped his hardest on their toes so they couldnae sign :agree: RP is a very bad man.

Steady...some folk will believe that :greengrin

The Falcon
20-01-2011, 07:28 AM
"A couple of injuries happened to the two players we were talking to," said Calderwood, "and someone else got injured and that stopped a deal happening. "

And on HibsTV CC told us that he went to training on Friday morning and expected 2 or 3 players to be signed upon his return.

I'm not the one making it up about players getting injured, I think it's laughable to suggest that all our first choice signing targets all got serious enough injuries within a short space of time to stop deals going through.

I suggest Sioux if you try to take the crap that you at least read what has been posted rather than go into rant mode.

So are you saying that Calderwood lied?

matty_f
20-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Exactly. I refuse to believe that Leicester had not arranged this deal before hand. That being the case why had Hibs not lined up a replacement or, being well aware of the shortcomings of the playing staff, some additions to the squad.

The plain fact is that Petrie appears to take the line that "we will warsle through" somehow or other. It is simply not good enough and the message from the board is hardly worth reading.

That isn't a fact, you've made that up.

I read it as two got injured and then someone else was injured that meant the player's club needed to keep the player.

It's not unfathomable that this could happen, Paul. I think that you are letting your current feelings about the board get in the way of how you're thinking about things.

This idea that it's all a big cover up is laughable, to be honest.

I know not to believe everything that people say in the papers, but turning things into a conspiracy to pull the wool over the fans eyes to hide some penny-pinching is just absurd.

The Falcon
20-01-2011, 07:51 AM
This is pretty much my take on it. I cannot imagine why Calderwood would even countenance "making it up". Surely it is to his benefit to get players in the door and, if the board are preventing this for trivial nonsensical reasons, then why would he be compliant when his reputation would suggest that the opposite would be true.

To suggest that he is "making it up" not only discredits the man's integrity but is possibly libelous to boot. Do people REALLY think that this man, an ex international footballer with a reputation for being a dedicated and single minded individual, is somehow Rod Petrie's bitch? Frankly its a ludicrous suggestion.

I read it as two got injured and then someone else was injured that meant the player's club needed to keep the player.

It's not unfathomable that this could happen, Paul. I think that you are letting your current feelings about the board get in the way of how you're thinking about things.

I know not to believe everything that people say in the papers, but turning things into a conspiracy to pull the wool over the fans eyes to hide some penny-pinching is just absurd.

PaulSmith
20-01-2011, 09:07 AM

You don't need to turn it into a conspiracy theory and it isn't, dispite what the Falcon, says a slight on Colin Calderwood.

If CC believes its for the wider good of the club to try and get everyone (fans, board, players, managemet) back onside - "Together we are Stronger" - the last thing that Calderwood would want is all out war between the fans and the board if it were known that players were not signed due to financial issues.

In all probability I'll say that its very unlikely, IMO, that injuries played a part in 3 deals being scuppered.

matty_f
20-01-2011, 09:09 AM
You don't need to turn it into a conspiracy theory and it isn't, dispite what the Falcon, says a slight on Colin Calderwood.

If CC believes its for the wider good of the club to try and get everyone (fans, board, players, managemet) back onside - "Together we are Stronger" - the last thing that Calderwood would want is all out war between the fans and the board if it were known that players were not signed due to financial issues.

In all probability I'll say that its very unlikely, IMO, that injuries played a part in 3 deals being scuppered.

There's nae point arguing about it, then Paul. We'll need to agree to disagree on the subject.

Bad Martini
20-01-2011, 12:08 PM
It's been said many times before, it'll be said again:

1) The only punters who actually put their hard earned cash IN to the club and look for NO financial reward, are the fans.
That gives us the ****ing right to DEMAND a return on our cash...nobody is expecting Ronaldo, Pele or Dalglish standards here - just a team that will break a sweat, move their lazy ***** about for 90 mins and manage to turn over a PART TIME team over the course of 3 HOURS (180 minutes plus injury time, with a wee rest in between!) of fitba.

2) None of this "football is brutal" sheite either Mr Petrie.
What is brutal is hearing EVERY ****ing excuse under the sun for years and years and years.
Talk is cheap and the time for action has long since passed.
We're out the Europa with a whimper, out both cups and dangerously close to relegation in the SPL.
I dont want to hear any more crap. No more press chat or announcements unless its news of new players to strengthen this weak, useless team.

Get some action on the PITCH, where it matters.

We've heard it all before and its boring and mostly bollocks.

We want to move up that league. We accept we're not champions or even very good right now. But, we DEMAND the players break a ****ing sweat for the shirt and moreover, for the mugs who pay their wages and fashion them with a job most of us would give our right arms for and if we could, do for the love of the shirt first and foremost.

ENDOF

GreenCastle
20-01-2011, 12:22 PM
It's been said many times before, it'll be said again:

1) The only punters who actually put their hard earned cash IN to the club and look for NO financial reward, are the fans.
That gives us the ****ing right to DEMAND a return on our cash...nobody is expecting Ronaldo, Pele or Dalglish standards here - just a team that will break a sweat, move their lazy ***** about for 90 mins and manage to turn over a PART TIME team over the course of 3 HOURS (180 minutes plus injury time, with a wee rest in between!) of fitba.

2) None of this "football is brutal" sheite either Mr Petrie.
What is brutal is hearing EVERY ****ing excuse under the sun for years and years and years.
Talk is cheap and the time for action has long since passed.
We're out the Europa with a whimper, out both cups and dangerously close to relegation in the SPL.
I dont want to hear any more crap. No more press chat or announcements unless its news of new players to strengthen this weak, useless team.

Get some action on the PITCH, where it matters.

We've heard it all before and its boring and mostly bollocks.

We want to move up that league. We accept we're not champions or even very good right now. But, we DEMAND the players break a ****ing sweat for the shirt and moreover, for the mugs who pay their wages and fashion them with a job most of us would give our right arms for and if we could, do for the love of the shirt first and foremost.

ENDOF

:agree::thumbsup:

Part/Time Supporter
20-01-2011, 06:00 PM

I accept what they say on face value, but why didn't they have an alternative deal in the pipeline if one or more of the first choices fell through? Most businesses don't interview just one person at a time.

NAE NOOKIE
20-01-2011, 06:19 PM

Perfect mate.

That sums up exactly my feelings too. I have no interest in did or didnt STF want us to move from ER or any other stuff he may or may not have wanted to do with Hibs in the past.

The fact is that 20 years down the line we have not changed on the park from what we have been since we last won the league in the 50s. Bloody also rans.

We need huge investment on the park to ever change that fact and if STF cant deliver that then its time to look for someone who can.

The Green Goblin
20-01-2011, 06:24 PM

I gave it a couple of days to think about it before posting, but this is how I see it too. For RP to sit down and write that tells us that things are very very bad indeed behind the scenes and he is feeling some serious pressure.

There are two opposing ways of looking at this that I can see here. The first is that as the man at the top, he`s doing what he should be: attempting to unify everything and everyone Hibs in a time of crisis.

The second is that he is feeling under siege and is somewhat desperately trying to talk the mob at the gates into putting their flaming torches and pitch forks away and going back to their homes.

Either way, he is responsible for the crisis and should, imho, be held accountable. That`s not the same thing as blaming him btw, but if you cash in on the playing assets and invest mostly or exclusively in infrastructure at the expense of the team for several years, then the chickens will come home to roost.

One more thing: I also didn`t appreciate the way he put this on the fans. Many fans have drifted from going to ER and I don`t blame them and there are many who follow through thick and thin. To ask for even more from them seems a bit crass to me.

GG

SmokieJoe
20-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Told you they read this website :agree:

Like someone else said - we can all talk a good game.

I want action - show me people care. Show me on the pitch we are improving.

That's what matters :agree:

Whose our scout co-ordinator then ?

Stevie Wonder i think?:confused:

new malkyhib
20-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Why did the club feel the need to communicate through the club website?

Petrie could've pitched up at the Thursday press conference and that way anything he said would have been questioned and debated - he had the platform there to put his point of view in person.

A bland statement about "missing out on a Scottish Cup final" (was it the semi-final we got beat in on Tuesday?) was faintly ludicrous and in line with the patronising tone of the whole missive. IMHO of course.

7Hero
20-01-2011, 08:23 PM
sounding like a political party, all spin and empty promises...

nortonhibby
20-01-2011, 09:01 PM

We all know that RP Will not splash any cash if we can get any players for free yes he will play on modest wages honestly it is like having a misor in control off our club.
Well Mr Petrie you have cost us a lot of money cast your eyes around the empty stadium you have built at our next home game and fiddle away as Rome Burns under your bunnet:flag:

spike220
20-01-2011, 09:07 PM
This thread sounds more far fetched than an episode of Eastenders now.

:taxi

The Green Goblin
21-01-2011, 01:35 PM

That's good to know, because remind me again who has presided over the club and led us to this point in the first place?

GG

The Falcon
21-01-2011, 03:14 PM
That's good to know, because remind me again who has presided over the club and led us to this point in the first place?

GG

This is frightening.

greenlex
21-01-2011, 03:23 PM
This is frightening.

Agreed it's like groundhog day but worse.

Peevemor
21-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Agreed it's like groundhog day but worse.

This is frightening.

greenlex
21-01-2011, 03:38 PM
This is frightening.

Agreed it's like groundho...........................

Wait a minute. I see what you did there.:)

The Green Goblin
21-01-2011, 04:56 PM
This is frightening.

That`s not an answer to what was a pretty simple question.

So, in your opinion, who or what IS responsible for our current predicament? It`s a genuine question, so no need for further vague and patronising non-responses. I do want to hear your argument.

GG

The Falcon
21-01-2011, 05:54 PM
That`s not an answer to what was a pretty simple question.

So, in your opinion, who or what IS responsible for our current predicament? It`s a genuine question, so no need for further vague and patronising non-responses. I do want to hear your argument.

GG

And YOU weren't patronising in YOUR response :faf:

Its an easy out to blame the board or the owners by saying "because remind me again who has presided over the club and led us to this point in the first place?"

Football has changed beyond all recognition and if a player, or a manager, does well we are looking at a shelf life (at Hibs) of about two years max. If a player or a manager does poorly then its the same, probably less for a manager (Yogi) cos the player (De Graaf) will have a contract. Had Yogi got us to,say, second or third but close to OF and started this season well he would probably still be gone and we would probably still have had to appoint another manager. Had De Graaf been a sensation he too would be away if not this window then the next.
The middle ground is mediocrity. Occassionally we will have good runs and even good seasons and we will have bad times, like now, but mostly it will be mediocrity. Thats how things are now.

Its all very well saying hold on to this player or that manager the reality is that we cant. Miller just moved to Turkey for wages that are ten times what we can afford max. Mowbray moved to West Brom for wages and transfer funds greater than we could turn over in years. He then made a pigs ear of Celtic so there are no guarantees, ask Ancelotti.

What has happened at Hibs over the last 5 or so years is the way it's gonna be from now on and thats the reality of where we are. We could try to buy short term success but that wont change things and may even risk the very existence of the club. The amount of money required to change all this wont come from the gate, if it comes at all it will be from other sources.

The Green Goblin
21-01-2011, 06:32 PM
And YOU weren't patronising in YOUR response :faf:

Its an easy out to blame the board or the owners by saying "because remind me again who has presided over the club and led us to this point in the first place?"

Football has changed beyond all recognition and if a player, or a manager, does well we are looking at a shelf life (at Hibs) of about two years max. If a player or a manager does poorly then its the same, probably less for a manager (Yogi) cos the player (De Graaf) will have a contract. Had Yogi got us to,say, second or third but close to OF and started this season well he would probably still be gone and we would probably still have had to appoint another manager. Had De Graaf been a sensation he too would be away if not this window then the next.
The middle ground is mediocrity. Occassionally we will have good runs and even good seasons and we will have bad times, like now, but mostly it will be mediocrity. Thats how things are now.

Its all very well saying hold on to this player or that manager the reality is that we cant. Miller just moved to Turkey for wages that are ten times what we can afford max. Mowbray moved to West Brom for wages and transfer funds greater than we could turn over in years. He then made a pigs ear of Celtic so there are no guarantees, ask Ancelotti.

What has happened at Hibs over the last 5 or so years is the way it's gonna be from now on and thats the reality of where we are. We could try to buy short term success but that wont change things and may even risk the very existence of the club. The amount of money required to change all this wont come from the gate, if it comes at all it will be from other sources.

Thank you. I agree with much of what you say. It`s realistic and makes sense.

A couple of things though. First, I am not looking to "blame" the board. I do however think they should be held accountable for the current situation. I am glad they moved swiftly with commendable foresight to begin reducing the club`s worrying debt levels a few years ago and they deserve real credit for managing that whilst simultaneously succeeding in building the stadium and training facilities. However, where we perhaps disagree is that I think they got the balance wrong between doing all of that and making sure the team remained sufficiently competitive, was an attraction for fans to come out on match days and see them and was of a reasonable standard to hold its own in the SPL.

Second, I see what you are saying about the realities of shelf life of managers/players at a club like ours and I do not believe that spending recklessly for some crumb of short term success is the answer. I never have. However, the fact remains that over the last few years all of the best Hibs players have been sold off in a relatively short period of time. There is a certain inevitability about that which I accept. But to deplete the squad of its very best and consistently replacing them of much lower quality players has been a mistake. Rather, the extent to which it has been done was a mistake. The emphasis on prioritising the business side of things has been too disproportionate, the Hibs team, the thing the fans actually pay to see and which determines the footballing success of the club, has been neglected to too great an extent and we are now seeing the results of that.

Stadium, training facility, reduce the debt, ensure the club`s long term survival in trying financial times and especially poor times for Scottish football: great, yes, I agree and good on them for achieving that, but the team/squad itself has been neglected to too great an extent. In that sense, I do think they are accountable for where we find ourselves now.

GG

The Falcon
21-01-2011, 07:25 PM
I think we agree that the squad is, at the moment, as poor as it has been in many a day I would argue that, while we cant replace like for like, the players signed have just not worked out. Now where you lay the blame for that depends on your perspective with either the manager or the board that appointed him but, as I said, I believe the managers seat at ER is going to be very much a short term appointment for the reasons listed.

I see the club as, to quote Yogi, very much a work in progress and I would like to think that, in another five years or so, we will be offering the best wages and conditions outside the OF and the overspending clubs pigeons will have come home to roost.

On another thread it was pointed out, quite thought provokingly, that all the players we have sold, at times for big money, have hardly set the heather on fire elsewhere and, in fact have been largely disappointing overall in their career paths. It is also asked would we get the same money for them now?

A couple of things though. First, I am not looking to "blame" the board. I do however think they should be held accountable for the current situation. I am glad they moved swiftly with commendable foresight to begin reducing the club`s worrying debt levels a few years ago and they deserve real credit for managing that whilst simultaneously succeeding in building the stadium and training facilities. However, where we perhaps disagree is that I think they got the balance wrong between doing all of that and making sure the team remained sufficiently competitive, was an attraction for fans to come out on match days and see them and was of a reasonable standard to hold its own in the SPL.

Second, I see what you are saying about the realities of shelf life of managers/players at a club like ours and I do not believe that spending recklessly for some crumb of short term success is the answer. I never have. However, the fact remains that over the last few years all of the best Hibs players have been sold off in a relatively short period of time. There is a certain inevitability about that which I accept. But to deplete the squad of its very best and consistently replacing them of much lower quality players has been a mistake. Rather, the extent to which it has been done was a mistake. The emphasis on prioritising the business side of things has been too disproportionate, the Hibs team, the thing the fans actually pay to see and which determines the footballing success of the club, has been neglected to too great an extent and we are now seeing the results of that.

Stadium, training facility, reduce the debt, ensure the club`s long term survival in trying financial times and especially poor times for Scottish football: great, yes, I agree and good on them for achieving that, but the team/squad itself has been neglected to too great an extent. In that sense, I do think they are accountable for where we find ourselves now.

GG

Cropley10
21-01-2011, 07:32 PM

GG

:top marks: We just need to be patient...

The Green Goblin
21-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I think we agree that the squad is, at the moment, as poor as it has been in many a day I would argue that, while we cant replace like for like, the players signed have just not worked out. Now where you lay the blame for that depends on your perspective with either the manager or the board that appointed him but, as I said, I believe the managers seat at ER is going to be very much a short term appointment for the reasons listed.

I see the club as, to quote Yogi, very much a work in progress and I would like to think that, in another five years or so, we will be offering the best wages and conditions outside the OF and the overspending clubs pigeons will have come home to roost.

On another thread it was pointed out, quite thought provokingly, that all the players we have sold, at times for big money, have hardly set the heather on fire elsewhere and, in fact have been largely disappointing overall in their career paths. It is also asked would we get the same money for them now?

Fair points, especially regarding the former players, which I hadn`t considered. Perhaps only Whittaker has been a steady performer. When you consider Thomson and Brown especially, I`d say you are right.

I also look forward to the day when the club is able to turn their attention more towards building up the squad without fear of financial consequences and there will undoubtedly be problems for those who have not been so careful.

I, like all of us I suppose, am very frustrated and just hope we can survive the current problems first in order to see it through.

GG

The Falcon
21-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I like to think that thats the plan anyway. Thats what keeps me going :greengrin

Fair points, especially regarding the former players, which I hadn`t considered. Perhaps only Whittaker has been a steady performer. When you consider Thomson and Brown especially, I`d say you are right.

I also look forward to the day when the club is able to turn their attention more towards building up the squad without fear of financial consequences and there will undoubtedly be problems for those who have not been so careful.

I, like all of us I suppose, am very frustrated and just hope we can survive the current problems first in order to see it through.

GG