PDA

View Full Version : We should have kept Hughes.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 11:41 AM
We should have kept Hughes, CC has amazingly made us easier to beat. We should have given him the job in the summer when he could have wheeled and dealed then. Its clear he does not have the ability to manage other peoples players. Managers today seem to only be transfer window managers.

3pm
19-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Colin Calderwood's miserable record is not a justification to keep Hughes. He was dire.

The buck stops with the board.

Abysmal.

Sammy7nil
19-01-2011, 11:44 AM
We should have kept Hughes, CC has amazingly made us easier to beat. We should have given him the job in the summer when he could have wheeled and dealed then. Its clear he does not have the ability to manage other peoples players. Managers today seem to only be transfer window managers.

Hughes HAD to go we watched 10 months of DROSS even the games we won we were outplayed and got lucky. Hughes had no plan B, EVER.

Now if you want to say CC was a mistake thats a different debate.

erskine-hibby
19-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Good God NO!
We should have got rid of him sooner, his signings (which we still have and are paying the price for), his lack of tactics/awareness, his inability to change a game, were there for all to see. He simply replicated what he did with Falkirk, but with a much bigger club.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Hughes HAD to go we watched 10 months of DROSS even the games we won we were outplayed and got lucky. Hughes had no plan B, EVER.

Now if you want to say CC was a mistake thats a different debate.

I have no idea if CC is a mistake, Hughes has form as a manager who has fought against relegation before, maybe a good thing in our position????????

Calderwood has shown he cant manage Yogi's players, maybe we should have left him in charge until the summer?

IWasThere2016
19-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Good God NO!
We should have got rid of him sooner, his signings (which we still have and are paying the price for), his lack of tactics/awareness, his inability to change a game, were there for all to see. He simply replicated what he did with Falkirk, but with a much bigger club.

:top marks Of course, we could have had more 'quality' like Hart :bitchy: and De Graaf :faf: to look forward to ..

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 11:50 AM

That bit in bold is an interesting one. I agree a good manager makes an instant impact working with dross or not - he gets the best out what he has.

Regarding Hughes - I liked the guy and wanted him to do well but it was dire under him and games like the 6v6 were a farce.

Europe yes but - since Dec 2009 we haven't played well or shown any sign of improving.

Easier to beat yes - we are a push over right now but not sure JH was the answer.

I want a manager the players are scared off and they will give everything for him or they don't get a game.

Franck is God
19-01-2011, 11:51 AM

I was very disappointed when Yogi was shown the door, although it was miles away from brilliant at the beginning of the season it wasn't nearly as bad as some have said and in a number of games I left wondering how we had managed to avoid winning. We created so many chances, DeGraaf kept missing open goals and did Deek not miss two penalties in two different games and on both occasions it was to extend a lead which we went on to lose. He lost Stokes on the last day of the transfer window and the guy he brought in got injured the day before his debut.

I know the end of last season was frustrating and that carried over but he was going to be able to rebuild the entire squad at the end of this season and for what its worth I think we would have been performing better than we are right now.

RIP
19-01-2011, 11:51 AM
The problem is the way the club is run

The manager is just the stool pidgeon to be sacked to help keep the board in a job

The coaching team are working with their hands tied behind their back

With a more talented board - Collins, Mixu, Yogi and Caldo were all capable of doing a far better job

Not at Hibs - we prefer a THREE ACCOUNTANTS board :confused:

Bad Martini
19-01-2011, 11:53 AM
We shouldn't have took Hughes to start with. We shouldn't have replaced him with Calderwood either and we shouldn't have brought in Mixu either.

I like Mixu - the time wasn't right for him though and we paid the price.

I didn't rate Hughes or Calderwood before they come in and I rate them even less now, as managers. Dont doubt they're good guys and mean them no ill fortune but as managers of this club, they were bad appointments.

The time to sort this sheite was when Collins left. We SHOULD have brought in a decent PROVEN manager. Why is it so ****ing difficult to appoint one of the most important positions in the club, in ANY club, properly??????

The Manager is pivotal to EVERYTHING. And every appointment, from the last 3, we have gone for the CHEAP/EASY/POPULAR Option.

We SHOULD, have gone for the RIGHT option. We didn't. There was a number of proven/decent/SPL standard (at least) managers about each time though less so, laterarily when we appointed Calderwood but we didn't bother our arse with that.

We are now reaping what we sow. In fact, WE, aren't reaping what we sow. Petrie and the board, are reaping what they sow and as ever, its the normal punters like us, who are feeling the pain of it.

********s got it wrong THREE times. I dont JUST blame Mixu, Hughes and Calderwood. They got the job, they're gonna do it and give it a run. I blame our wonderous board who have done so much for this club - they've done everything BUT put hte right manager in place and release sufficient funds to get decent players in. NOT journeymen or half baked has beens/might be's/never will be's but some decent quality. Not talking about bankruptcy here......just something of decent quality as this old boring line about "building for the future" has been spouted for the last five years solid and its growing VERY VERY VERY VERY thin.

We are living in the here and NOW and not the future and it's the here and ****ing now that will see us living in the first division if we're not careful.

And no, I have no answers to this sheitey predicament but I am rather confident I know whom to blame namely those geniuses who made the managerial appointments which have NOT, I repeat NOT worked.

Success is not SPL Survival and a couple of crap games in the Europa, getting nowhere in the cup.

The only man who had any VISION for Hibs wasn't backed in full, wasn't backed when the players ran to the board and wasn't backed because his man management skills were lacking...and his bottle might have gone too. However, I'd have rather we looked to work with Collins and get rid of his number 2, get someone else in to help buy decent players and move on that way, than not back Collins, which ultimately seen him go and regardless of what anyone says, also seen our only manager to win anything within the last x number of years.

**** it. Pointless. This will never change til our board either grow some or piss off and let someone who can make a decent managerial appointment do just that.

ENDOF

Dirkster23
19-01-2011, 11:53 AM

FFS, give it a rest BH :rolleyes:

Let Yogi wheel and deal in the summer? what so he could bring in more players like De Graaf and Hart :faf:

I look forward to another of your legendary mood swings tomorrow when your calling for people to give CC time.

sunshine1875
19-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Hughes said on radio on Saturday "I can't understand why someone with class, grit and determination like McBride isn't starting in the team".

Because he is p!sh and last night was another example of someone who just has not got it!. Hughes problem was he was too loyal to sub-standard players and was an embarassment to our club. No Plan B as someone has already stated and don't forget his ridiculous substitutions against Ross County when we were 2-1 up with 20 minutes to go and he weakened the team rather than strengthened the team.

Hughes - no, never!

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-01-2011, 11:55 AM
When Calderwood came in, Cobblers fans said he will make you hard to beat and the football won't be pretty. Well, only one part of that is correct. Don't know about anyone else, but as soon as Ayr scored, I knew we would lose.

bighairyfaeleith
19-01-2011, 11:56 AM

You and John need to get a room!!:greengrin

Dalianwanda
19-01-2011, 11:56 AM
We shouldn't have took Hughes to start with. We shouldn't have replaced him with Calderwood either and we shouldn't have brought in Mixu either.

I didn't rate Hughes or Calderwood before they come in and I rate them even less now, as managers. Dont doubt they're good guys and mean them no ill fortune but as managers of this club, they were bad appointments.

The time to sort this sheite was when Collins left. We SHOULD have brought in a decent PROVEN manager. Why is it so ****ing difficult to appoint one of the most important positions in the club, in ANY club, properly??????

The Manager is pivotal to EVERYTHING. And every appointment, from the last 3, we have gone for the CHEAP/EASY/POPULAR Option.

We SHOULD, have gone for the RIGHT option. We didn't. There was a number of proven/decent/SPL standard (at least) managers about each time though less so, laterarily when we appointed Calderwood but we didn't bother our arse with that.

We are now reaping what we sow. In fact, WE, aren't reaping what we sow. Petrie and the board, are reaping what they sow and as ever, its the normal punters like us, who are feeling the pain of it.

********s got it wrong THREE times. I dont JUST blame Mixu, Hughes and Calderwood. They got the job, they're gonna do it and give it a run. I blame our wonderous board who have done so much for this club - they've done everything BUT put hte right manager in place and release sufficient funds to get decent players in. NOT journeymen or half baked has beens/might be's/never will be's but some decent quality. Not talking about bankruptcy here......just something of decent quality as this old boring line about "building for the future" has been spouted for the last five years solid and its growing VERY VERY VERY VERY thin.

We are living in the here and NOW and not the future and it's the here and ****ing now that will see us living in the first division if we're not careful.

And no, I have no answers to this sheitey predicament but I am rather confident I know whom to blame namely those geniuses who made the managerial appointments which have NOT, I repeat NOT worked.

Success is not SPL Survival and a couple of crap games in the Europa, getting nowhere in the cup.

The only man who had any VISION for Hibs wasn't backed in full, wasn't backed when the players ran to the board and wasn't backed because his man management skills were lacking...and his bottle might have gone too. However, I'd have rather we looked to work with Collins and get rid of his number 2, get someone else in to help buy decent players and move on that way, than not back Collins, which ultimately seen him go and regardless of what anyone says, also seen our only manager to win anything within the last x number of years.

**** it. Pointless. This will never change til our board either grow some or piss off and let someone who can make a decent managerial appointment do just that.

ENDOF
:top marks

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 11:58 AM
FFS, give it a rest BH :rolleyes:

Let Yogi wheel and deal in the summer? what so he could bring in more players like De Graaf and Hart :faf:

I look forward to another of your legendary mood swings tomorrow when your calling for people to give CC time.

You see if you actually read what i said, instead of what you wanted me to say, you would not have answered as you have.:faf::faf:

proud_and_green
19-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I have no idea if CC is a mistake, Hughes has form as a manager who has fought against relegation before, maybe a good thing in our position????????

Calderwood has shown he cant manage Yogi's players, maybe we should have left him in charge until the summer?

Hmm, only difference in our case is that he isn't here to help us fight against relegation. Two clubs then that he has helped into the relegation zone!!!

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 12:00 PM
You and John need to get a room!!:greengrin

I see no improvement, in fact he HAS made us worse, there's no argument there. We should have kept him until the summer and then brought CC in.

erskine-hibby
19-01-2011, 12:01 PM

ENDOF

:agree::agree:

The lack of ambition was clear to see then, though many backed and still back the board.

Thecat23
19-01-2011, 12:01 PM

No danger, He would not have done any better and the football was shocking with Hughes as well.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Hughes said on radio on Saturday "I can't understand why someone with class, grit and determination like McBride isn't starting in the team".

Because he is p!sh and last night was another example of someone who just has not got it!. Hughes problem was he was too loyal to sub-standard players and was an embarassment to our club. No Plan B as someone has already stated and don't forget his ridiculous substitutions against Ross County when we were 2-1 up with 20 minutes to go and he weakened the team rather than strengthened the team.

Hughes - no, never!

McBride right midfield, he's a central midfielder tremendous management by CC. :confused:

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 12:03 PM

ENDOF

To sum up - Collins should have been given more time and backed - think back to the CIS cup win etc.

The trouble makers at the club such as Mikey Stewart got their way and JC was gone.

He had the team fit etc and people say he was an arse but basically he had high standards which some of the players weren't used to.

Regarding the board and RP - not a fan but they have given us a stable foundation - as in stadium / training complex - so credit is due there.

But the blame has to be theirs when it comes to hiring managers. There selection process is obviously flawed.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Hmm, only difference in our case is that he isn't here to help us fight against relegation. Two clubs then that he has helped into the relegation zone!!!

Fantastic, as Falkirk should never be in a relegation fight.

H!BEE
19-01-2011, 12:05 PM
would love to agree with ya but as sad as it is, Yogi signed a pile of ****

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 12:08 PM
To sum up - Collins should have been given more time and backed - think back to the CIS cup win etc.

The trouble makers at the club such as Mikey Stewart got their way and JC was gone.

He had the team fit etc and people say he was an arse but basically he had high standards which some of the players weren't used to.

Regarding the board and RP - not a fan but they have given us a stable foundation - as in stadium / training complex - so credit is due there.

But the blame has to be theirs when it comes to hiring managers. There selection process is obviously flawed.

Collins walked because he couldn't get his own way, he wanted to buy players way out our price range, but bought in more dross to fill the squad up with. What money he did have, he wasted on Maka and O'Brien. Lumbered us with Gatheussi and Kerr. He needs to manage Celtic or Rangers to manage how he wants to manage.

Bad Martini

:agree:

I'd agree credit is due for the training complex and stadium redevelopment. I think both are brilliant. If I had the CHOICE though, I'd suggest the money should have gone BACK into the team until we regularly finished in the top 4 and getting to the later stages of the cup(s) and into Europe(a) even, we could consider it then...this, in itself would generate income towards said training centre and new stand with extra revenue from more matches, successful finishing position, tv rights and the extra merchandise we would have sold on the back of "getting somewhere".

Your summing up though, is spot on in my view.

Shrekko
You see if you actually read what i said, instead of what you wanted me to say, you would not have answered as you have.:faf::faf:

:confused:
This is not the day for posting in unsolveable riddles BH :greengrin

We should have kept Mixu. Pity so many wanted him hounded out.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 12:11 PM
would love to agree with ya but as sad as it is, Yogi signed a pile of ****

I agree, some of his signings especially this summer were awful. If we were going to sack him though, it had to be with someone who was going to improve us, not make us worse. So imo it was pointless sacking him with someone who can only transfer window manage. We'd have been just as well sticking with him until the summer, and making the change then.

sunshine1875
19-01-2011, 12:12 PM
McBride right midfield, he's a central midfielder tremendous management by CC. :confused:

"he's a central midfielder" :faf:

Whether he plays right, left or central midfield, he has been absolutely rubbish ever since the Rangers away game last season!

The Voice Of Reason
19-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Calderwood has made us worse in my opinion. He baffles me with his team selections and I still cannot fathom out why he didn't bring Galbraith on last night for example.

However, for lumbering us with the extremely highly paid duds that are De Graaf and Hart, Hughes cannot be forgiven. I think the board were correct to sack him.

It was reasonable to expect a positive reaction from the players on the appointment of a new manager (like when Blobby replaced Sauzee, like Craig Brown at Aberdeen) however this has not happened, in fact the opposite has happened. Calderwood has to take responsibility for this.

The CC/Adams "partnership" isn't working. This is hardly surprising as they didn't even know each other and hadn't even met each other FFS. On top of that, they both have dour personalities and couldn't motivate themselves out of a paper bag (it would appear).

So in summary, I think it was correct to sack Hughes when we did, but we are having a nightmare with the CC and Adams "dream team".

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 12:13 PM
:confused:
This is not the day for posting in unsolveable riddles BH :greengrin

We should have kept Mixu. Pity so many wanted him hounded out.

:greengrin Hindsight eh? :wink:

Bad Martini
19-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Collins walked because he couldn't get his own way, he wanted to buy players way out our price range, but bought in more dross to fill the squad up with. What money he did have, he wasted on Maka and O'Brien. Lumbered us with Gatheussi and Kerr. He needs to manage Celtic or Rangers to manage how he wants to manage.

Like I said, his player purchases were sheite. SOME of this, was attributed to his number two as well mind. What was stopping us getting rid of his numero due and bringing in an other to do that? A management "team" ?? Nothing.

Regards his methods, the success he achieved, the talk he had - its not disimilar to the greats of most clubs; respect the shirt, get fit, PASS the ball, stop being lazy etc. He had all the right ideals and I defy ANYONE to tell us this is not what they would WANT for the club.

A great man once said "Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling"...Collins thinking was in line with that philosophy. Unfortunately, he had some trouble makers, 2 major players looking to oil their own fortunes out of the club and a board who we've discussed don't know their erse from their elbow. On the BACK of all THAT, he still managed to bag a cup and done so, in style...he EVEN, had Mikey Stewart playing very, very well. Right up til he barfed in Aberdeen game and was ill thereafter, he was one of our most consistent players and stewart hates us.

Collins would have come good. The board got it wrong. Not saying Collins didn't make mistakes and not saying he didn't have to learn and make some changes but be under no illusion he was working from the hymnsheet I think every Hibs fan would want him to work from - respect the shirt, give 110%, pass the ****ing ball and not hoof it 3 miles in the air and give it some. Do that, you won't go far wrong. He only needed the right 2nd in charge and we'd have gone further and I do not think, we'd be in this predicament - we wouldn't be losing to Ayr in the manner we did either.

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 12:19 PM

I'd agree credit is due for the training complex and stadium redevelopment. I think both are brilliant. If I had the CHOICE though, I'd suggest the money should have gone BACK into the team until we regularly finished in the top 4 and getting to the later stages of the cup(s) and into Europe(a) even, we could consider it then...this, in itself would generate income towards said training centre and new stand with extra revenue from more matches, successful finishing position, tv rights and the extra merchandise we would have sold on the back of "getting somewhere".

Your summing up though, is spot on in my view.

Moving forward I am glad they gave us the training centre and finished the stadium as now they have no excuse for not putting money into the playing side.

The problem is we are out both cups - and in danger of getting relegated meaning a loss of cash.

We have sold Bamba - but could that cost us if we go down ?

The team is why we watch football - Hearts have their debts like many clubs in football but they have seen their team win the Scottish Cup in their lifetimes.

Dirkster23
19-01-2011, 12:22 PM

My mistake, i misread one part of your post. It is confusing though when one minute your posting asking people to give CC time and then starting threads slating him for his for tactics, formation, selections etc. Are you backing him or not?

I love in the morning seeing if it's Happy Clapper or Doom and Gloomer BH that's posting :tee hee:

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 12:24 PM

True - but who says his way wasn't improving us ?

He brought in some poor players but as Bad Martini states made others play better.

He also did make us interesting to watch as we passed the ball around.

You can't argue we are fitter now - I watched sessions down at Peffermill (before they moved to East Mains )and he did make the team run alot but least they were sharper come the weekends.

Cameron1875
19-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Hughes had to go because:

We never won a derby, lost the scottish cup replay, got knocked out CIS cup early doors, Lost 6 out of 8 against the Old Firm and got gubbed in Europe. Every big game we played in we lost FFS!!

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 12:26 PM

My mistake, i misread one part of your post. It is confusing though when one minute your posting asking people to give CC time and then starting threads slating him for his for tactics, formation, selections etc. Are you backing him or not?

I love in the morning seeing if it's Happy Clapper or Doom and Gloomer BH that's posting :tee hee:

Definitely doom and gloom today. He does need time, although he does need to show us he's the right man, and he has some sort of idea what he's doing. Imo he's clearly not doing any of that yet.

Twa Cairpets
19-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Simple answers don't work.

Knee jerk reactions dont work.

It is just not possible to say "we should have kept Hughes" or "CC is sheight" or "look at aberdeen, pa broon has changed them" and expect this to be a valid solution or even in many ways a point of any interest. It is entirely guesswork and looking back has absolutely no merit - it cant be changed no matter how much we bitch or moan.

What is current is that there a group of players who are massively underperforming. where does the blame for that lie? An element is the managers, and element is the board, an element is petulant players not willing to work as a team, and element is the contract situation, and element is us as the fans hounding players to such an extent that they're terrified of making a mistake so dont try anything worthwhile.

I dont know what the solution is but it isnt simple and it it mustnt be knee jerk. Some of it is wholesale changes, some of it is patience, some of it is daring to hit the sacred cow that is Deek. Getting rid of the manager today is not the solution, of that I am convinced. We must stay up this year and see what the summer brings, and another managerial change wont help that.

RickyS
19-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Definitely doom and gloom today. He does need time, although he does need to show us he's the right man, and he has some sort of idea what he's doing. Imo he's clearly not doing any of that yet.

i agree with that, I am all for giving the manager time but along the way results still have to be of a certain standard, there has to be signs that things are improving, so far there are none.
Not saying Yogi should have stayed, he deserved the sack but this guy is starting to scare me in terms of where we are heading.

Dirkster23
19-01-2011, 12:51 PM

I don't think there's any manager that could get the current lot of wasters to perform constantly to be honest.

I'd say CC's got more out of players like Wotherspoon, Hanlon and Galbraith but has been let down badly by the experienced players. The defence has looked a bit better which is no mean feat cosidering there is no protection in front of them.

I'll admit he's still got a lot to do, however, i'm sure he'll prove his worth given time and proper funding.

LeithBoozy
19-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Why we have so much trouble getting a decent manager in I do not know, when the vacancy arose after Yogi, I remember Petrie saying that there were over 100 names in for the job, and there had been intrest from the four corners of the globe. I dont know if money changed hands with Newcastle or not, but I remember CC was under contract to them. As far as Yogi's sacking goes I am in the it should have happened sooner camp. And also hope CC gets a chance to bring in his own players.

francobaresi
19-01-2011, 12:55 PM
We should have kept Eddie Turnbull. Infact, what's he up to these days:wink:

Seriously though, when JC walked everyone knew the manager was not getting the backing he should have from the board & more importantly the players have no respect... Size 10 up thee rear end & national service, that'll sort those imposters out...:greengrin

Beefster
19-01-2011, 01:08 PM

No. He hasn't.

weonlywon6-2
19-01-2011, 01:19 PM

the only hope now is that the club no longer has to sell to pay for a new stand or training facility,its all in place now.
this is all going to take some time to repair and hopefully youngsters will come through as before and we will be in a better postion to keep hold of them , hopefully !

Shrekko
19-01-2011, 01:41 PM
:greengrin Hindsight eh? :wink:
Yeah and to be honest, much as I love the guy, I thought it was for the best when he left. I'd say it's definitely a lesson though that managers need 2/3 years minimum before we can assess whether we're going backwards or forwards.

It's the age of knee jerk reactions but I'm going to back CC to the hilt. ER is a living example of why stability is the key to most things in football.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Anyone who went to see Hibs in 2010 would have to agree he had to go.
I think we lost 5 at both Hamilton and St Johnstone in 2010 as well as the pathetic performance at Perth in Yogi's last match.
Let's not forget all bar one of the Post Split matches last season( lost to Hearts,Rangers and Celtic plus the 6-6 game).
There have been many other low points that I could also mention including Maribor, Ross County, Irvine Meadow etc where the performances were sub standard.
Yogi walked because he signed most of them, however it's the players who must take full responsiblity.
They are simply not good enough and we need 10 new players!!

ekhibee
19-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I never really understood the Collins situation regarding bringing in new players. I'm trying to think of some of the 'first choice' players he was trying to bring in, one of them was Jamie Smith from Aberdeen I think. Loads of people on here were slagging him for coming up with these names, saying it was totally unrealistic too. But what I've never understood is, why would he go for them if he'd been told we had X to spend and that was it? And I can't remember the timeline for this, but didn't Hibs also put a bid in for Naismith when he was due to leave Killie, circa £1 mil? Just how much money did we have to spend on players but chose not to? Just how many managers of Hibs have been in that position, asking for money, not an extortionate amount just enough to buy at the very least, decent players? Ooops I forgot, managers always want too much and money doesn't guarantee a good player. Better just sticking to basement buys to help us consolidate our position in the SPL, or building for the future in the 1st division. Loads of people on here go from one extreme to the other- some want to spend loads of money we simply don't have, the others say we don't need to spend virtually bugger all, God Bless the infrastructure and no need to spend much money at all, there's still plenty of good, cheaper players out there that our excellent scouting system will weed out. No, I don't really believe that either. Sorry.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2011, 02:07 PM
:agree::agree:

The lack of ambition was clear to see then, though many backed and still back the board.

I must admit, I thought that is when things started to go pear shaped too. :agree:

Keith_M
19-01-2011, 02:18 PM

I wondered how long you'd take to come out with this. You've been dying to for a while now.

It doesn't look for now like CC is up to the job. However, that doesn't suddenly mean that Hughes was, either. What we need is a decent manager and decent players. IMHO, we have neither of those now and didn't have when the season started either.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I wondered how long you'd take to come out with this. You've been dying to for a while now.

It doesn't look for now like CC is up to the job. However, that doesn't suddenly mean that Hughes was, either. What we need is a decent manager and decent players. IMHO, we have neither of those now and didn't have when the season started either.

Rubbish, i wanted Hughes out when he left, he'd run his course. Although perhaps the title of the thread should have been, what difference has it made sacking Hughes for Calderwood?

marleyhib
19-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I think that's easy to say with hindsight, simply because Calderwood is proving to be an abject failure.

I blame Calderwood for us getting worse than we were, easier to beat and for his utter lack of consistency.

Great idea, let's tell players they can leave then start playing them FFS.

Oh and Yogi wasn't working either.

vahibbie
19-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah and to be honest, much as I love the guy, I thought it was for the best when he left. I'd say it's definitely a lesson though that managers need 2/3 years minimum before we can assess whether we're going backwards or forwards.

It's the age of knee jerk reactions but I'm going to back CC to the hilt. ER is a living example of why stability is the key to most things in football.

That's a luxury not many will get and if they are indeed ****** may well bankrupt the club.
It beats me how out of over 100 interested candidates that the board (Petrie) deduced CC was the best, especially in the situation we were in.
I would love to be wrong, not for CC's sake but for Hibs, but I don't think CC has what it takes. It may be best for all concerned if we part company sooner rather than later.

ulises_trotter
19-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Hughes signed him from Falkirk after playing him right midfield and right back for quite a bit of the season for Falkirk the year before!

He also played right midfield at Motherwell and Darlington... he's player right midfield more than centre midfield in his career!

Devine
19-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Rubbish, i wanted Hughes out when he left, he'd run his course. Although perhaps the title of the thread should have been, what difference has it made sacking Hughes for Calderwood?

You backtracked on your fervent support for Hughes when he was on his deathbed that doesnt absolve you from the months of rubbish you spouted about the situation.

Your agenda for months when we were in rapid decline was to back Yogi in the face of valid criticism that you tried to rubbish. Your new agenda is to validate the nonsense you spouted by saying 'look guys CC is worse than Yogi I was right all along'.

The truth of the matter is CC hasnt been good enough but he hasnt had the time or players that Yogi did. Yogi is far far far more to blame for this sorry debacle than CC

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 03:03 PM
You backtracked on your fervent support for Hughes when he was on his deathbed that doesnt absolve you from the months of rubbish you spouted about the situation.

Your agenda for months when we were in rapid decline was to back Yogi in the face of valid criticism that you tried to rubbish. Your new agenda is to validate the nonsense you spouted by saying 'look guys CC is worse than Yogi I was right all along'.

The truth of the matter is CC hasnt been good enough but he hasnt had the time or players that Yogi did. Yogi is far far far more to blame for this sorry debacle than CC

Agenda, dont make me laugh. I backed him when in charge, and said he deserved a chance to get us out the mess he left us in. Just as i dont want Calderwood sacked before he's had a chance either. Agenda. :faf:

Devine
19-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Agenda, dont make me laugh. I backed him when in charge, and said he deserved a chance to get us out the mess he left us in. Just as i dont want Calderwood sacked before he's had a chance either. Agenda. :faf:

Yep thats right AGENDA no amount of daft smilies are going to change that fact. You were one of the few who couldnt see what was happening and how rapidly we were sliding now to try and claw back some credibility you are going all out to attack CC's managerial skills.

CC might not be the answer as he is struggling to get us out of a hole but lets not forget who got us into this hole

Phil D. Rolls
19-01-2011, 03:12 PM

To be fair, he says so little we just don't know. Is he a steely guy who sees that there is a lot of work to do and has a firm plan about where he wants to be and how to get there. Or is he a rabbit caught in the headlights?

We honestly don't know, and the thing is that having chosen him, we have to stick with him long enough to find out. It's squeaky bum time.

As for Yogi, we had enough evidence that the guy wasn't up to the job (IMO).

steakbake
19-01-2011, 03:14 PM
To be fair, he says so little we just don't know. Is he a steely guy who sees that there is a lot of work to do and has a firm plan about where he wants to be and how to get there. Or is he a rabbit caught in the headlights?

We honestly don't know, and the thing is that having chosen him, we have to stick with him long enough to find out. It's squeaky bum time.

I've never understood that phrase.

Does it mean that there is some high pitched flatus on the way?

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Yep thats right AGENDA no amount of daft smilies are going to change that fact. You were one of the few who couldnt see what was happening and how rapidly we were sliding now to try and claw back some credibility you are going all out to attack CC's managerial skills.

CC might not be the answer as he is struggling to get us out of a hole but lets not forget who got us into this hole

You are right, i had an agenda. One that had me backing the man who had given us success, so again backing the man when things were going wrong, we owed him that imo. So yes, i had an agenda.

Devine
19-01-2011, 03:30 PM
You are right, i had an agenda. One that had me backing the man who had given us success, so again backing the man when things were going wrong, we owed him that imo. So yes, i had an agenda.

Or you supported a man who clearly couldnt handle the job and allowed us to descend into freefall leaving us in one of the worst positions we have been in many a year??

The minor success he had was heavily outweighed by what we were all able to see happening on the park.

You have jumped on the CC bandwagon criticising every moves he makes then on the odd occasion throw in your 'he must be given time' get out clause. You failed to criticise a man who had time to bring in decent players and mould them into his style for months on end. I'm not going to bite back because if you cant see how hypocritical you have been then you never will

Phil D. Rolls
19-01-2011, 03:32 PM
I've never understood that phrase.

Does it mean that there is some high pitched flatus on the way?

Now that you come to mention it, I don't understand it either. Maybe "brown trouser time" was the phrase I was searching for.

lapsedhibee
19-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Now that you come to mention it, I don't understand it either. Maybe "brown trouser time" was the phrase I was searching for.

The original phrase was "leaky bum time" (meaning same as brown trousers time, as that's what a leaky bum directly leads to). Leaky got corrupted to squeaky in the EPL after Arsenal signed a bombscare French defender called Squileaky, and SPL comment has borrowed from the EPL usage.

jdships
19-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Give me one simple reason why we should be backward looking and bring this up ?:confused:
We have a new manager who we hope will turn things round so what is the point of this thread ?
Let's move on - PLEASE
:rolleyes:

hibs0666
19-01-2011, 03:50 PM

We should have kept Mixu, and not let Hughes darken the door at all.

We are paying some price forthe team that Hughes built just now.

Kaiser1962
19-01-2011, 03:51 PM
:top marks

Reaaly? Top marks for that utter drivel? Its not even factually accurate.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Or you supported a man who clearly couldnt handle the job and allowed us to descend into freefall leaving us in one of the worst positions we have been in many a year??

The minor success he had was heavily outweighed by what we were all able to see happening on the park.

You have jumped on the CC bandwagon criticising every moves he makes then on the odd occasion throw in your 'he must be given time' get out clause. You failed to criticise a man who had time to bring in decent players and mould them into his style for months on end. I'm not going to bite back because if you cant see how hypocritical you have been then you never will

It was not clear to me he was out of his depth, and again without giving him the chance to address the bad times, we'd have looked even more silly than we do now. Again minor success, thats what 4th place is these days, my my we have got above our station haven't we.

I'm critical off CC because he was supposed to be what we needed, Hughes HAD the players, everyone was saying that. He just spoke funny, played his favorites, had no plan B, wouldnt play Galbraith and his interviews were a disgrace. This board all to a man said they could change things given the chance, it was just a case of getting a new manager, in fact anyone as long as it was not hughes, and things would be fine.

Well we know thats not true now, dont we? Although that arguments now changed to Hughes brought the biggest bunch of wage thieves to the club ever. There is hypocrisy, and i know where its coming from.

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 04:29 PM
We should have kept Mixu, and not let Hughes darken the door at all.

We are paying some price forthe team that Hughes built just now.

IMHO Hughes signed player(s) due to availability without a clear plan as to where they would fit into his system (?). While it could be said he paid the price I think we are all paying it now, especially Calderwood.