PDA

View Full Version : 37 points

p=sh
19-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I looked at the SPL tables since it became a 12-team league.
In that time the highest number of points gained by the relegated team was 37 by ICT in 2008-9.

But usually the last team (barring the Gretna season) has about 30 points.

Realistically can anyone see us getting those 21 points that would (almost) guarantee that we stay up?
We'd need 7 wins in our next 18 games, on the back of 4 wins in this season so far.

Hate to be a doom-monger but unless Hamilton really are worse than us, relegation is staring us in the face.

We'd have to win our 6 remaining games against Hamilton and St. Mirren to get close to a safe number of points.

At least the TW is still open, maybe CC will manage to sign one or two players who can turn our season but I'm far from optimistic.

p=sh

Bad Martini
19-01-2011, 11:39 AM
In that time the highest number of points gained by the relegated team was 37 by ICT in 2008-9.

Realistically can anyone see us getting those 21 points that would (almost) guarantee that we stay up?
We'd need 7 wins in our next 18 games, on the back of 4 wins in this season so far.

Hate to be a doom-monger but unless Hamilton really are worse than us, relegation is staring us in the face.
We'd have to win our 6 remaining games against Hamilton and St. Mirren to get close to a safe number of points.

At least the TW is still open, maybe CC will manage to sign one or two players who can turn our season but I'm far from optimistic.

p=sh

This is the crux of it. Our survival, unless we go on a blinding run which, whilst possible, is highly unlikely, is largely dependent on how sheite Hamilton are and continue to be.

Us with the 3rd best stadium in the SPL, great "facilities" and "infrastructure"........and a big pile of sheite called a "team".

Joke position to be in....

Sammy7nil
19-01-2011, 11:41 AM

p=sh

from 10 games against ICT, St J, Hamilton and St Mirren if we cant get 16 we will deserve to go down

sunshine1875
19-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I will always support my team, but last night was confirmation of what I have thought for a few weeks that we are doomed. We will be relegated this season.

I see nothing from that team that convinces me that we have the desire or skill to remain in the SPL. We have defenders who cannot defend and strikers who cannot score and a midfield that are too slow in thought and movement. We are gutless, spineless and directionless. Most alarming of all is the lack of pace in all areas of the team - a 2nd division team of part time footballers had more pace in their team!!!

Yes - we could get some signings in. But, why would anyone want to come to Hibs at this moment in time. Money would be a motivator, but there is no chance that Hibs will pay good money with the risk that we will get relegated.

Yes - we could throw in the youth. But, it is asking a lot for youth to dig us out of this current hole.

If we cannot raise our game against Ayr away in the cup, I consider it highly unlikely that we are going to get anything from the up-coming SPL games, continuing this downward spiral.

I would really, really love to be proved wrong, but with this bunch of gutless, spineless, directionless wage thiefs I really doubt it. We are doomed!

I appreciate that I am not offering suggestions to how we can beat the drop, but that is because I don't believe any of them will work.

Emerald
19-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Quick calculation.

I've looked at the fixures we have left up to the split this season and taken the points from the corresponding fixtures from last season. If we assume a point at home against ICT, I get a about 14 points. And that was with Stokes and Bamba in the team. :confused:

patlowe
19-01-2011, 01:09 PM
We still have to play Hamilton 3 times, twice away. Given our record there with a better squad suggests to me that we have a massive fight on our hands, doubtful if the players are up to it.

lucky
19-01-2011, 01:12 PM
The post split fixtures will decide our fate. Whilst we are terrible. Hamilton are worse. They have 2 games from 20. So they will need a big change in form to save them as well.

Phil D. Rolls
19-01-2011, 01:13 PM
It's a measure of how bad things are that 21 points seems a very tall order at present. Even if we beat Hamilton and St. Mirren.

Danderhall Hibs
19-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Don't start panicking about getting another 21 points - we only need one more than Hamilton and St Mirren. We can afford to lose another 3 points and not get relegated, never mind winning a made up 21 points.

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 01:21 PM
The post split fixtures will decide our fate. Whilst we are terrible. Hamilton are worse. They have 2 games from 20. So they will need a big change in form to save them as well.

I hope we can be safe before then - could be a very nervy end to the season...

The Silver Fox
19-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Hibs are now in a very serious situation. To be relegated would be an absolute disaster financially that would take many years to recover. I have never been in favour in buying your way out of bother but it is starting to make sense. There must be reasonable value solid pros out there who could do a job in bringing some resilience back into the team. Hibs are defensively and in terms of midfield bite a very weak team at the moment.

Not to put a bit of money in at this time may be a huge mistake.

sunshine1875
19-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Are you saying that Hamilton are worse because they have four points less than us.

We have not beaten a "bottom-six" team for almost a year - our wins have come from a win at Ibrox, home and away against Motherwell (the latter lucky) and a home win against Killie.

Yes - Hamilton have only won twice, but late goals have cost them wins against Celtic, Kilmarnock and Rangers plus a draw against Aberdeen and St. Johnstone. If they had not conceded goals in the last couple of minutes they could have had another eight points. They have been more competitve in games compared to Hibs, so I really find it hard to understand why some are saying Hamilton will save us from the drop.

Jack
19-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Given we cant score a solitary goal in 180 minutes of playing time, home and away, never mind win one game from two against a 2nd division team – or even look as though we might, I feel it’s a bit optimistic thinking we’ll beat any SPL club.

I feel a nil, nil draw is the best we can hope for but alas I doubt we would even manage the nil!

Danderhall Hibs
19-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Are you saying that Hamilton are worse because they have four points less than us.

That's how it normally works. :agree:

I really find it hard to understand why some are saying Hamilton will save us from the drop.

'cos they've got less points than us.

sunshine1875
19-01-2011, 01:35 PM
That's how it normally works. :agree:

'cos they've got less points than us.

I would say unlucky rather than them being a worse team :cool2:

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Hamilton although have less points than us currently - will start to pick up more.

Like I said on another post - I saw their hunger V Celtic the other night and they have a manager who will fire them up.

Hibs have more points right now but having not scored a goal in 6 hours or won a game since Nov 13th - over 2 months ago - hopefully things will change soon but it's not too promising.

After getting beat by part timers the confidence will be at an all time low.

Danderhall Hibs
19-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I would say unlucky rather than them being a worse team :cool2:

We've been unlucky as well.

Danderhall Hibs
19-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Hamilton although have less points than us currently - will start to pick up more.

Why will this happen all of a sudden?

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Why will this happen all of a sudden?

As having watched them recently and seeing players in interviews after the games they are hungry to stay in the SPL and earn their wage.

They will keep batting and pick points up.

Hibs have notoriously been poor after Christmas and usually struggle going into the split.

Please prove me wrong :greengrin