PDA

View Full Version : Rod Petrie/ Fred Goodwin

Dr Jimmy
19-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Fred Goodwin - Built an infrastructure at RBS, enjoyed the pats on the back from his peers during the good times. When business went through the floor, did not appear to have answers.

Rod Petrie - :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
19-01-2011, 09:42 AM
It's a thought. :agree:

smurf
19-01-2011, 09:43 AM
The two had one priority. Their pension. And that's all we are to RP.

GreenPJ
19-01-2011, 09:55 AM
The two had one priority. Their pension. And that's all we are to RP.

Whilst I am starting to wonder about the direction the club is going in I think Petrie could easily have found easier ways of making a big pension pot.

I honestly don't think he is in it to line his own pockets but I do think there is a lack of understanding that a healthy balance sheet alone does not lead to a healthy football club long term. The investment into infrastructure is positive but ultimately it will prove to be a bad investment if we end up in the doldrums of Scottish Football either relegated or scrapping to get stay up.

erskine-hibby
19-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Whilst I am starting to wonder about the direction the club is going in I think Petrie could easily have found easier ways of making a big pension pot.

I honestly don't think he is in it to line his own pockets but I do think there is a lack of understanding that a healthy balance sheet alone does not lead to a healthy football club long term. The investment into infrastructure is positive but ultimately it will prove to be a bad investment if we end up in the doldrums of Scottish Football either relegated or scrapping to get stay up.

:agree:

Though I think that by paying himself a nice fat salary helps him in the long term.

Purehibee_MYB
19-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I do think its a tad harsh comparing Rodders to a swine like Goodwin.

I am frustrated that he hasn't loosened the purse strings though

Dr Jimmy
19-01-2011, 11:00 AM

My comparison is based more on them both being happy to take the plaudits for the business in good times, but having no clue what to do when the core business suffers. I was not referring to any personal financial gain.

Cropley10
19-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Interesting comparison. Fred had no idea how Global Banking made it's money. He knew what the carpets and curtains cost sure but he didn't understand how the profit was made.

Thing is only a few years ago I doubt you could have found anyone at the Bank who didn't hold him in very high regard.

But hey it's tough at the top. Mr P will really need to earn that salary now.

MacBean
19-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Petrie's salary is peanuts compared to other's in his position in SPL.

The whole board have taken significant cuts lately and Petrie took a whack himself. I dont understand this concept that he is taking a massive pay etc.

there are several players at this club that earn at least £20,000 more than he does on annual basis and are performing far worse.

Cropley10
19-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Petrie's salary is peanuts compared to other's in his position in SPL.

The whole board have taken significant cuts lately and Petrie took a whack himself. I dont understand this concept that he is taking a massive pay etc.

there are several players at this club that earn at least £20,000 more than he does on annual basis and are performing far worse.

Such as who?

You're right - it's not massive pay, but he will still have to earn his salary over the next few very important weeks

Jack
19-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Different people I'm sure - I've seen the photies.

Never seen them in the same place at the same time though so its possible :cool2:

The Falcon
19-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Interesting comparison. Fred had no idea how Global Banking made it's money. He knew what the carpets and curtains cost sure but he didn't understand how the profit was made.

Thing is only a few years ago I doubt you could have found anyone at the Bank who didn't hold him in very high regard.

No comparison atall. Petrie is charge of a company that is viable although prforming poorly.

Goodwin was in charge of a company that "speculated to accumulate" with money they didnt have, "invested" wrecklessly, and ended up insolvent while puting at risk the entire economy.

Dr Jimmy
19-01-2011, 01:11 PM
No comparison atall. Petrie is charge of a company that is viable although prforming poorly.

Goodwin was in charge of a company that "speculated to accumulate" with money they didnt have, "invested" wrecklessly, and ended up insolvent while puting at risk the entire economy.

Think Petrie was in charge when we went down that route as well.

GreenPJ
19-01-2011, 01:25 PM

I think you would find that a lot of people (though not publicly) would still rate Fred highly. His problem was he became far too autocratic, the board did not do their job in reigning him in and his ego made him overbid significantly for the fiasco that was ABN. Can't see Mr P ever overbidding for anything.