PDA

View Full Version : Booth (Beware Positive Thread)

hibeeleicester
19-01-2011, 08:53 AM
So, We finally got to see booth.

And from the short time we did i was very impressed.

He had pace, could pass, was always looking to overlap. He was getting into some great positions out wide. It's a shame we had Rankin trying to go down the middle and trying the killer through ball, ive always been taught, attack down the wings.

When we had 2 fit and hungry young players at wing back (Spoony and Booth) it was clear to see it injected more attacking threat and life to the team.

These boys both done more in the short time that they were on at full back than the two "senior" wingers.

Get Spoony and Booth in there on saturday. Both have good futures ahead of them.

bighairyfaeleith
19-01-2011, 08:59 AM
personally I'd just play the under 19 squad

Ditch the whole first team!!

macca70
19-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Totally agree for the 10 mins or so that we saw of him he looked sharp.

Every time he played a pass, he was off moving into space and looking for the ball back.

As said above, he managed to find a fair amount of space and get into some decent positions down that left wing.

He looks a great prospect and has a decent future ahead, hopefully that future is at Hibs.

I'm sure I saw Rodders in the stand rubbing his hands and twisting his mouser, in anticipation of the transfer fee that we'll be accepting for him in the coming seasons :agree:

Hibee87
19-01-2011, 09:11 AM
my thoughts exactly you could see he got the ball and looked to pass then overlap and surge up the wing what we had when murphy and whitty used to tear up and dow nthe wings.

we need to build from the back and as said on satget booth and spoony playing rb and lb - have galbraith o nthe left wing and zemmama on the right wing this lets us use the wings to our advanteous.

if there is any stats (spl games ) of how many passes are completed between the defence hibs must be right up there at the top - tactics so far have been midfield win the ball pass back to dickoh/hanlon one plays to the lb or rb then get the ball back then switch the play to other CH and out to wing befire there is no options and hasrt or grounds (when he was here) would the hoof the ball u pthe park and wait 2 or 3 mins to start over and repeat the process. its so infurating watching the wing backs pass forward a 5 yard pass to our so called wingers who have there backs to goal and have no option but to pass it right back

oh and another thing - lift the ball at corneres and MAKE A ****ING MOVE FOR THE BALL at throw ins. which btw has been a problem for abotu 4 or 5 years.

rnat over.

sorry went on a bit there but all in all yes booth looked liek he sparked some life into the game for the 9 mins he had lets play him more eh :flag:

lucky
19-01-2011, 09:12 AM
He looked decent, the one highlight of the night. Only concern is that too many expecting too much from the young guys.

TornadoHibby
19-01-2011, 09:15 AM

He had pace, could pass, was always looking to overlap. He was getting into some great positions out wide. It's a shame we had Rankin trying to go down the middle and trying the killer through ball, ive always been taught, attack down the wings.

When we had 2 fit and hungry young players at wing back (Spoony and Booth) it was clear to see it injected more attacking threat and life to the team.

These boys both done more in the short time that they were on at full back than the two "senior" wingers.

Get Spoony and Booth in there on saturday. Both have good futures ahead of them.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I did notice that Booth is not blessed with height and that could becoem a big problem defensively for him and us if, say the Huns decide to put Lafferty up against him and then feed high diagonal cross balls to him as they did when Wotherspoon played RB against them in 2010! :confused:

Hope I'm wrong and sorry to introduce a possible negative direction! :cool2:

Andy74
19-01-2011, 09:18 AM
So Wotherspoon is a right back now. Interesting.

Hibee87
19-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Played there last season and was better than what we currently have at the moment!

Cropley10
19-01-2011, 09:30 AM
It wasn't too long ago I was getting ripped to shreds by some of the more knowledgeable posters on here for suggesting we start putting the youngsters in as we had nothing to lose.... :coffee:

Andy74
19-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Played there last season and was better than what we currently have at the moment!

Quite. It's just I'd heard he was wasted there and that this was ruining him as a player.

PaulSmith
19-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Quite. It's just I'd heard he was wasted there and that this was ruining him as a player.

Andy there are hundreds of different opinions on here each day, you continue to play one off against each to 'prove' your point that everyone on here is a numpty, no one is to blame and the only problem right now at Easter Road is the opinions of fans on Hibs.net.

Expecting Rain
19-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Andy there are hundreds of different opinions on here each day, you continue to play one off against each to 'prove' your point that everyone on here is a numpty, no one is to blame and the only problem right now at Easter Road is the opinions of fans on Hibs.net.

Well said. I think he does believe he is superior.

allyhibee
19-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I did notice that Booth is not blessed with height and that could becoem a big problem defensively for him and us if, say the Huns decide to put Lafferty up against him and then feed high diagonal cross balls to him as they did when Wotherspoon played RB against them in 2010! :confused:

To be fair in general full backs are not often tall players. Think Man U with Rafael and Evra for example. Don't think it would be a great problem to overcome, not many wingers are that tall either and pinging high balls out to a wing often leads to the ball flying off the pitch. Booth looked good last night, one of the few positives.

Thought Spoony also looked dangerous(well more so than the rest of that shower) coming off the bench. Perhaps we should be trying that more often with him.

Cropley10
19-01-2011, 10:13 AM
He looked decent, the one highlight of the night. Only concern is that too many expecting too much from the young guys.

I'm not expecting anything from the young guys, well other than 100% effort.

I'm pretty certain we'd get this - which in itself would be an improvement.

J-C
19-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Good to see the young lad finally given a game, personally I'd have started with him, after all it was only against Ayr, so it should've been an easy game for his first start. This would've allowed Hanlon to go into the CB position and free up Murray as holding mid, this would allow McBride and Miller more freedom in the middle, but hey ho! I'm not manager am I. :confused:

Baker9
19-01-2011, 10:46 AM

:top marks but you obviously haven't heard that you can't win anything with a team of youngsters, not even talented proven winners. And the fact that they are no longer in the under 19s surely means they are no longer 'youngsters'.

I believe that Calderwood will finish this season with a starting 11 of at least 6 regulars from the under 19s and a few of his own signings. The beginning of a new era. We will stay up, we will be above average again, and parhaps even very good :wink:

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 10:52 AM
:top marks but you obviously haven't heard that you can't win anything with a team of youngsters, not even talented proven winners. And the fact that they are no longer in the under 19s surely means they are no longer 'youngsters'.

I believe that Calderwood will finish this season with a starting 11 of at least 6 regulars from the under 19s and a few of his own signings. The beginning of a new era. We will stay up, we will be above average again, and parhaps even very good :wink:

This I would hope too.

The problem is I think he wants experience to steady the ship.

If we were mid table then he and no chance of going down he would play the young guys - I am not sure he fully trusts them.

At least they would play for the jersey and the fans would be more patient - knowing like Scott Brown, Thompson etc when they had to be played by Williamson that they are the future as we had no choice.

I was happy from what I saw from Booth last night - some on here have been saying for a while he's decent :thumbsup:

Randerson_4
19-01-2011, 10:53 AM
He should be in the team, along with Spoony & even Bryne. Yeah it's a risk, but can't be worse than the senior players!

I'd also ask where's Welsh?! He always looked promising!

Exiled Hibby
19-01-2011, 10:55 AM

On the plus side, I don't think I have ever seen Laffable score with a header, although I dont pretend to watch the Huns on a weekly basis!!

Give Booth a chance - in fact give them all a chance. I'd rather see green shoots of recovery than the same old rubbish we've been getting recently

Devine
19-01-2011, 10:55 AM

No not by any stretch of the imagination but give me him at RB over the immobile Hart or useless Thicot any day of the week. The fact that he is a better option than the other clowns we use at RB is not so much a reflection of Wotherspoons ability in that position but a reflection on how bad the other options are.

Another position that Yogi failed to fill with any quality

MB62
19-01-2011, 11:21 AM

It's the only way I will go back to ER, this season at least. Maybe not the whole team right enough but certainly a good part of them.
The pretentious bunch of lazy no hopers that wear the jersey presently, I wouldn't open my curtains to watch them playing in my back garden. I've had my fill and have made my decision and it will take something special to get me to change my mind now.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Booth looked very decent, now we cant get carried away as it was only a 2nd division side, but none of the rest looked as good.:boo hoo:

The proof in the pudding will be when he comes up against a better side, with a player he will need to mark first and attack later. The signs were good though.:thumbsup:

Andy74
19-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Well said. I think he does believe he is superior.

Sorry, can you guys not take a different opinion?

Thousands of different posts on here with very firm opinions on Hughes, Petrie, the players etc, all stated as if they are facts. I have firm views on those too, does stating mine mean that I am trying to be superior?

Behave.

Cropley10
19-01-2011, 11:39 AM
No not by any stretch of the imagination but give me him at RB over the immobile Hart or useless Thicot any day of the week. The fact that he is a better option than the other clowns we use at RB is not so much a reflection of Wotherspoons ability in that position but a reflection on how bad the other options are.

Another position that Yogi failed to fill with any quality

I was appalled at Hart yesterday. He looks like someone pretending to be a footballer.

Exiled Hibby
19-01-2011, 01:47 PM
I was appalled at Hart yesterday. He looks like someone pretending to be a footballer.

In that case, he's also s**t at pretending.

truehibernian
19-01-2011, 01:56 PM
In that case, he's also s**t at pretending.

:greengrin

That brightened my day that line.

Dr Jimmy
19-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Booth looked very decent, now we cant get carried away as it was only a 2nd division side, but none of the rest looked as good.:boo hoo:

The proof in the pudding will be when he comes up against a better side, with a player he will need to mark first and attack later. The signs were good though.:thumbsup:

Would be a bit much sticking Booth up against Humphrey of Motherwell on Saturday. He is a flying machine and could be a bit much to ask Booth to keep him under wraps. Having said that could be the making of the boy.

After recent games, culminating in last nights capitulation the U19's must be coming into CC's thinking by now.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Would be a bit much sticking Booth up against Humphrey of Motherwell on Saturday. He is a flying machine and could be a bit much to ask Booth to keep him under wraps. Having said that could be the making of the boy.

After recent games, culminating in last nights capitulation the U19's must be coming into CC's thinking by now.

I wanted him in against Ayr in the 1st game, and it was clear last night he would not look out of place at that standard. I agree an SPL side might be difficult for him, but do we have an option now?

.Sean.
19-01-2011, 06:43 PM
He's far more suited in a team that doesn't hoof the ball. The amount of times a centre-half picked up the ball and punted it long rather than play it wide left when Callum is standing in acres of space was unreal.

Why they persisted with the long-ball tactics when it clearly wasn't having any positive effect still bewilders me.

On a personal level however, i'm delighted for him. Great lad and a good Hibby. Here's hoping he gets a good shot against Motherwell on Saturday.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Last night he reminded me a little of the Everton right back Shamus Coleman. I watched a bit of him last season when he was on loan at Blackpool. And in his brief 10-12 minute appearance he did what he does. He got the ball and drove forward in control of the ball. Whens the last time that happened?

Dr Jimmy
19-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I wanted him in against Ayr in the 1st game, and it was clear last night he would not look out of place at that standard. I agree an SPL side might be difficult for him, but do we have an option now?
The senior players have been a disaster, so it could be time for Booth.

Barney McGrew
19-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Last night would have been the ideal game to start him in, given that he spend the first half of the season playing in grounds like Somerset Park which gave him much better experience of it than some of our more seasoned pros. Instead we played Hanlon there, and while he's a great prospect at CH, he's never a left back in a million years.

The bonus is I think he'll be starting on Saturday, with Hanlon back into the middle where he's far better.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Last night would have been the ideal game to start him in, given that he spend the first half of the season playing in grounds like Somerset Park which gave him much better experience of it than some of our more seasoned pros. Instead we played Hanlon there, and while he's a great prospect at CH, he's never a left back in a million years.

The bonus is I think he'll be starting on Saturday, with Hanlon back into the middle where he's far better.

The best game to have bloodied him imo was the home game against Ayr.

new malkyhib
19-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Sorry, can you guys not take a different opinion?

Thousands of different posts on here with very firm opinions on Hughes, Petrie, the players etc, all stated as if they are facts. I have firm views on those too, does stating mine mean that I am trying to be superior?

Behave.

Touched a raw nerve there?

You seem to be able to hand it out, but aren't too keen to take it back - viz the bit in bold - it seems to emphasise that you think your opinion is indeed "fact".

Heckys Wheel
19-01-2011, 11:00 PM

I agree with the point your trying to make. Everybody is entitled to an opinion but let's be honest here, a lot of the opinions posted on here are drivel.

Last season I read that we were pish because Yogi didn't have a plan B. His tactics were ***** and his interviews were embarrassing. Mixu was the same. now Calderwood. As you say, the experts told us Wotherspoon was wasted at right back (probably the same guys that insisted Whittaker wasn't a defender in a million years either).

You have the same guys who are also experts in running a club. How our finances should be kept and where to invest. Usually nonsense as well.

I'm not taking about people who post their opinions on the odd occasion and take part in a discussion. I'm talking about the same people. Stating the same things over and over and over again as if they are facts, whilst rubbishing the board, the manager, the players, the fans at every opportunity.

Wotherspiniesta
19-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Aii, yon laddie Booth looked decent.

I just have one question though. What was that weird thing he did after he passed to a player in green? Seemed to run forward. :crazy:

This is Hibs son. Yi punt the baw and stand still. Get it sorted!

sesoim
20-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Booth looked good, but it must have been frustrating for him trying to do 1-2s with Rankin and co and see them just turning around and playing it into midfield, while Booth was making good runs up the wing.

We wont see the best of Booth and the other youngsters till we have unloaded the 15 or so players who are dragging this club down and replaced them with a few experienced, better quality players, who can help the youngsters to develop.

BSEJVT
20-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Aii, yon laddie Booth looked decent.

I just have one question though. What was that weird thing he did after he passed to a player in green? Seemed to run forward. :crazy:

This is Hibs son. Yi punt the baw and stand still. Get it sorted!

Ridiculous Comment

I often wonder if folk watch the same game as I do.

Firstly you dont pass to a Hibs player 3 yards 10 yards makes no difference you dont do it.

How are you ever going to prove you cant tackle if you dont give the opposition the ball?

Secondly you dont run ever, if East Mains has improved nothing else its the ability to look as though you are wading through treacle whilst they guy you are chasing is gliding over the surface.

If that wasnt the case you would never let the defence get exposed.

If the defence didnt get exposed the Goalie would never get any practice.

Its taken succesive Hibs managers years to perfect that sytem and hey presto we have a goalie who looks okay at saving the ball.

Fans nowadays are far too impatient and blinkered, dont understand football and cant see what's going on behind the scenes.

Thank god for real fans like me who know the game!

Isn't that right Andy?

millarco
20-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Last night he reminded me a little of the Everton right back Shamus Coleman. I watched a bit of him last season when he was on loan at Blackpool. And in his brief 10-12 minute appearance he did what he does. He got the ball and drove forward in control of the ball. Whens the last time that happened?

I wonder if we could do the same as Everton did with Coleman and play Booth left midfield. Think he has played there already on loan, and by all accounts his strengths lie in going forward. The only problem would be having an alternative for left back, with Stevenson injured and Hanlon needed at centre half.