PDA

View Full Version : An Idiots guide to management

BSEJVT
18-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Its not easy to totally **** up managing a team of any description and needs the careful and long term planning of the Board of Directors and Middle Management and the acquiescence of the customers.

Some pointers

Firstly recruit a staff of too many people most of whom are past their best and topping up their pension fund.

This way they will all get bored, go through the motions and not have any time to develop their talents.

Secondly submit that staff to regular change of both management style and personality.

It would help if the aims and objectives of the team changed regularly and more people ill suited to those aims and objectives were recruited.

Thirdly, before beginning to address the situation move out any of the better performers who could act as aspirational figures for those remaining.

Pretty Basic stuff up to now.

Fourthly, advise the bulk of the team that they were being performanced managed and placed on short term contracts.

Whether you as the management were responsible for their recruitment doesnt matter.

This should reinforce their loyalty to the employers and make them feel valued and that they work for a business looking to go places.

It should make them prepared to lay their bodies on the line and strain every sinew safe in the knowledge their futures are secure.

Fifthly, Recognise that the situation is beyond repair and seek to have yourself sacked before you are too tainted by the mess you have had a large part in creating.

Moving in to the clever stuff

As the new Manager commence a program of alienating everyone in the team from you and each other and removing any last shred of self esteem or confidence they may have.

Tricky to carry off but can be done by:

1) Asking them to turn up for work when their performance is poor
2) Asking them not to turn up for work if and when they are showing signs of improvement
3) Disrupt their working pattern so that they dont know if they are coming going or staying or if and when they may be needed for work
4) Disorientate them by continuously changing the team they work in and the duties they are asked to perform within it
5) Tell them they are on gardening leave working their notice
6) Call upon them without warning to work on a job crucial to your employers and on which your future might rest.

I think it would be pretty difficult to improve on the above in an idiots guide to management.

Hibs have done every single one of them but credit to CC, he has been responsible for the really clever stuff.

Yes that shower of ***** are almost without exception not fit to wear the shirt.

I defy anyone to tell me that CC has done a single thing to improve the team the club or our position.

IMO he couldnt have ****ed things up worse had he been trying to do so and shows no conviction at all in his team selections.

I honestly think our problems are so bad and varied he just doesnt know where to start and is just rolling the dice hoping to get lucky.

He must start by binning some of them for good and never bringing them back no matter what.

nortonhibby
18-01-2011, 09:50 PM
you should apply when CC Goes:na na:

Sammy7nil
18-01-2011, 09:51 PM
You must be raging to be up this late :greengrin

Your post is Sad but true, I want to stick with CC but you summed him up well cant see him ever playing attractive football either. With the best will in the World his time is short. Next 3 games all tough he will live or die on his action in this window

Mon_the_cabbage
18-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Very poor effort.

You've tried to apply a corporate analogy to a team sport.

Can you answer the following truthfully?

In your (yes, yours personally) work environment, are there perhaps 22 > 26 staff available for work but only 11 full time positions? What do you tell the others?

You can of course have seven guys on stand by.

Of the 7 stand by folks they can be changed (at very short notice but only after the working day has started) for the starting eleven. Which ones? What do you tell the others?

Sammy7nil
18-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Very poor effort.

In your (yes, yours personally) work environment, are there perhaps 22 > 26 staff available for work but only 11 full time positions? What do you tell the others?

Of the 7 stand by folks they can be changed (at very short notice but only after the working day has started) for the starting eleven. Which ones? What do you tell the others?

Mamagement skills apply to all workplaces. So far CC has failed in all area's with the odd fluke. CC does not even appear to have made his mind up on any individual he constantly chops and changes this action does not build a team it alienates Everyone

Sammy7nil
18-01-2011, 10:03 PM
"In your (yes, yours personally) work environment, are there perhaps 22 > 26 staff available for work but only 11 full time positions? What do you tell the others?"

PS Tere is work for all 26 staff everyday but only 11 get to go to the Board meeting were the decisions are made. If all 26 are not working maybe thats the problem

BSEJVT
19-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Very poor effort.

Thanks for your critique.

I will try harder

As it happens I have dealt with similar situations in my professional life and lived and prospered from the experience.

If the situation arose in my work and I were the manager I would have taken the time as I went along to give all 26 a chance to display why they merited a position more than their colleagues and then discarded the least suitable one by one and placed them on gardening leave until their contracts expired.

Using your scenario, I would have kept 7 in a pool to cover sickness absence or to cater for those leaving unexpectedly and would tell those 7 that they still had the chance to earn new contracts based on their performance when called upon.

I would have had sufficient belief in my ability and judgement to recognise that those I had discarded from my 18 I had done so for good reason and that they played no part in the company's future.

My decision would likely have been based upon the fact that I believed they were neither committed nor talented enough to merit a place in the business.

I would expect that that leadership, together with having taken the time and effort to fully assess the situation and explain the reasoning behind it to those effected would have gained their respect and galvanised them to perform better as they knew they were operating with a restricted workforce and had better immediate employment prospects than they had as part of the larger pool all seeking work.

I would also have hoped that they would have taken some confidence from their being recognised as better employees than those de-selected.

What I would not have done is then completely re-visited the issue week by week calling people back from gardening leave after weeks and months in the wilderness and summarily dropping others to cater for this.

I would be concerned that my employees and employers would lose any respect for me as I was indecisive and lacking in sufficient confidence and knowledge in my position to recognise those best suited to take the business forward.

I would have thought that my employees would find it diificult to return to such a demanding role after so much time away and immediately do themselves justice, thereby damaging their future employment prospects.

I would expect them to be confused, dispirited, lacking in confidence, uncommitted to the business and resentful of me as a manager for exposing them to such a situation.

I would expect them to find it difficult to believe in the message I was trying to deliver and consequently un-responsive to my instructions.

I would expect many to be looking to their future outside the business and consequently protecting their interests.

Over to you

BSEJVT
19-01-2011, 06:45 AM
You must be raging to be up this late :greengrin

Your post is Sad but true, I want to stick with CC but you summed him up well cant see him ever playing attractive football either. With the best will in the World his time is short. Next 3 games all tough he will live or die on his action in this window

Raging doesnt begin to cover it:wink: