PDA

View Full Version : Terry Butcher Interview (Merged)

Frazerbob
18-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Absolutely superb stuff. If you didn't catch it on Radio Scotland, find it on their web site. The guy just spoke so much sense about the 10 team SPL and spoke with more passion than our team has shown in the last 12 months.

Petrie, you are one of the bullies he is talking about.

dunks
18-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Great to hear a man speak with passion and tell it how it really is.

Credit to Mr Butcher :not worth

GreenCastle
18-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Great interview. :thumbsup:

Honest and to the point.

He did say if it's broke don't fix - but he did talk about it's Armageddon if a club like ICT go down - money lost etc.

So maybe that has to be looked at to soften the blow.

Still think the larger league with a short term hit will mean improvements long term.

If you haven't listened to the interview - hopefully they will post a link soon :agree:

Leithenhibby
18-01-2011, 09:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9366087.stm

Gone yer sel Terry :greengrin

Northfieldhibby
18-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Great interview. Bloke talks sense

down the slope
18-01-2011, 10:01 PM
He talks a lot of sense and it would appear that we will be one of those clubs who will go down be it next season or the year after but the dafty in charge of us actually helped to put this plan together !, you couldnae make it up if you tried.

ScottB
18-01-2011, 10:05 PM

By far the best interview from anyone in Scottish football I've heard in a long time.

Wouldn't object to him being Hibs manager one day.

BEEJ
18-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Brilliant! At last the fans have a spokesman. :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
18-01-2011, 10:06 PM
He talks a lot of sense and it would appear that we will be one of those clubs who will go down be it next season or the year after but the dafty in charge of us actually helped to put this plan together !, you couldnae make it up if you tried.

Naw we'll no, as we will be the team promoted :na na:

chrisski33
18-01-2011, 10:07 PM
thought he talked alot of sense and wished he was our manager!

Leithenhibby
18-01-2011, 10:07 PM
By far the best interview from anyone in Scottish football I've heard in a long time.

This Guy has balls of steel, would love to see him at ER :cool2:

Very good interview :wink:

GreenCastle
18-01-2011, 10:08 PM

Would take him in a heartbeat - surely Hibs pay more than ICT.

States the Killie chairman isn't happy either at what has come out in the papers.

HibeeSince85
18-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Would take him in a heartbeat - surely Hibs pay more than ICT.

States the Killie chairman isn't happy either at what has come out in the papers.

Terry Butcher was mentioned by a few fans when Yogi went, the majority of the response to that was against him, think it's because of the Rangers connection.

Me, think he would have been a great appointment, Brown was my first choice but I'd have happily taken Butcher.

Bookkeeper
18-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Good man Terry! Never feard to say what needs said!

IWasThere2016
18-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Great stuff! :agree:

Over at ER .. silence!!!

Saorsa
18-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Great stuff! :agree:

:agree:

Over at ER .. silence!!!Well Petrie is in it up tae his neck so I wouldnae expect tae hear anything from there.

ScottB
18-01-2011, 10:25 PM

Well Petrie is in it up tae his neck so I wouldnae expect tae hear anything from there.

Sounds all to eerily familiar doesn't it? Hibs voting for a change in the league and then not bloody being in the division when it kicks off...

madabouthibs
18-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Hibs probably do pay a bit more than ICT, but to be honest TB doesn't strike me as being the kind of guy that chases the coin. He's just passionate about football. I'd bet he gets on great with the players, and is very approachable. I'd love to see him at Hibs, but right now I'd be afraid of what it might do to, or for him! I don't think he'd touch us with a bargepole! :offski:

new malkyhib
18-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Good man Terry! Never feard to say what needs said!

Can we not bottle this guy's passion and make it prescribed medicine at Easter Road for our Boardroom, manager, and players?

lucky
18-01-2011, 10:34 PM

Was thinking the same thing. Hope that day is tomorrow. As for 3 teams being relegated it will not effect us we will already be down.

GreenCastle
18-01-2011, 10:37 PM
I would take Craig Brown, McInnes, Butcher, possibly Billy Reid or even the guy who beat us tonight ( who showed he can put today a team of nobodies and beat us - even part timers!).

It's not rocket science to do the basics properly.

new malkyhib
18-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Was thinking the same thing. Hope that day is tomorrow. As for 3 teams being relegated it will not effect us we will already be down.

I'd take Butcher - number of things mitigate against it though...

1) Sounds like he's got a real passion for Inverness and wouldn't fancy the Hibs gig in its present form.

2) Money (make that the main factor).

3) Too strong a character for the Board's liking, and doesn't strike you as a yes man - wouldn't take kindly to Boardroom interference IMO.

GreenCastle
18-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I'd take Butcher - number of things mitigate against it though...

1) Sounds like he's got a real passion for Inverness and wouldn't fancy the Hibs gig in its present form.

2) Money (make that the main factor).

3) Too strong a character for the Board's liking, and doesn't strike you as a yes man - wouldn't take kindly to Boardroom interference IMO.

Exactly :agree:

Came across basically saying it's us against them - as in ICT travelling down for games and making teams go up north etc.

I don't think he would come near us right now - too much sense.

Knowing us the way things are going we would get him and then ruin him :rolleyes:

CmoantheHibs
18-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Its good to hear a dissenting voice about the 10 team league beside the supporters whose opinions dont matter a jot anyway.He has experienced things from an OF,SPL and SFL perspective so has more knowledge than most on the subject.An honest,from the heart interview.Well done that man

GreenCastle
18-01-2011, 10:56 PM

From 1 minute onwards it gets tasty :top marks

Leithenhibby
18-01-2011, 11:02 PM
From 1 minute onwards it gets tasty :top marks

This reconstruction has miles to go before an agreement will be finalised, the OF haven't go there own way JUST, yet :wink:

hibee92
18-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Outstanding from Butcher :top marks

Lofarl
19-01-2011, 12:09 AM

Go on Butcher, get stuck into them.

down-the-slope
19-01-2011, 12:13 AM
was listening in car on way back from match...interviewer asked one simple question....and off Terry went...there was no way he was going to try and butt in and stop him...just waited till he ran out of steam....he did'nt hit the wall.

For an Ex- OF captain to say its all about what OF want and there is bullying behind the scenes.....cant keep a lid on it now

:not worth he might have just begun the start of saving the game we love

smurf
19-01-2011, 12:21 AM
was listening in car on way back from match...interviewer asked one simple question....and off Terry went...there was no way he was going to try and butt in and stop him...just waited till he ran out of steam....he did'nt hit the wall.

For an Ex- OF captain to say its all about what OF want and there is bullying behind the scenes.....cant keep a lid on it now

:not worth he might have just begun the start of saving the game we love

:top marks

And our very own RP is part of it.

basehibby
19-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Terry Butcher was mentioned by a few fans when Yogi went, the majority of the response to that was against him, think it's because of the Rangers connection.

Me, think he would have been a great appointment, Brown was my first choice but I'd have happily taken Butcher.

Disagree strongly with the bit in bold - most didn't favour his appointment because his managerial record has been totally unconvincing outside of Inverness - simple as that.

That was certainly my take, even if I always liked big Tel as a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve - was like that as a player as well - focused, determined and as brave and honest as they come, which certainly comes over in this interview - :top marksto the man for telling it like it is :not worth

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 08:55 AM
:top marks

And our very own RP is part of it.

Will RP or the club ever comment on it ?

For those at past meetings - were you ever consulted ?

Judas Iscariot
19-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Pity he's not the boss at ER..

That's the kinda guy we need at our club just now!

steviehibsleith
19-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Will RP or the club ever comment on it ?

For those at past meetings - were you ever consulted ?

Fantasic and honest even though a manger of a rival club still get the respect from me.
Have read in the record Dundee chairman Steven Thomsons reason for uturn and voting for a 10 team league "I know the fans want a 14 team league but there is no support for it". Excuse me - the fans want it but the 10 directors dont for financial reasons. Nice to know what they think of the fans.

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Fantasic and honest even though a manger of a rival club still get the respect from me.
Have read in the record Dundee chairman Steven Thomsons reason for uturn and voting for a 10 team league "I know the fans want a 14 team league but there is no support for it". Excuse me - the fans want it but the 10 directors dont for financial reasons. Nice to know what they think of the fans.

Agreed - this whole 10 team thing is a short term plan - for more money.

Long term they say they will expand the league but they don't realise that in the short term with 10 teams they are going to finish it off.

The plans will put lower league clubs out of business. Surely this is more complicated than it seems.

The 12 SPL Clubs vote - and must get 10-2 vote to approve the change.

Now what about the clubs below ? Do they get any say to form the 12 team league.

What about the SFL ?

I agree the set up has to be merged - I pyramid structure like England has to be put in place but we have too many people trying to run the game in the country.

Joe Baker II
19-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Not a big fan of Butcher but got to say he is absolutely spot on (though possibly a bit paranoid about SPL not wanting ICT) - good to hear someone involved in managing actually speaking plainly defending the current 12 team SPL which in my view although imperfect, is far the best option.

Although to be honest Scottish football's problems are nothing to do with size of league.

brog
19-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Superb stuff from Terry. I've actually been a big fan of his since 2004 when he was commentator on Channel 5 when we beat OF in LC. His comments & knowledge of the game were outstanding & he was genuinely thrilled even when we beat the Huns. I've wanted him as a manager ever since. Hopefully some of the other cowards will gain courage from his stance.

Rattus Norvegicus
19-01-2011, 11:52 AM
... but the dafty in charge of us actually helped to put this plan together...
And the even daftier dafty that owns Hearts wasn't invited (like ICT) because the small circle of friends didn't want any objectors.

GreenCastle
19-01-2011, 11:56 AM
And the even daftier dafty that owns Hearts wasn't invited (like ICT) because the small circle of friends didn't want any objectors.

The yams did have a representative there though ?

I agree they are trying to spin this making out all teams are happy with the idea - even though it's blatant they aren't.

HibeeSince85
19-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Disagree strongly with the bit in bold - most didn't favour his appointment because his managerial record has been totally unconvincing outside of Inverness - simple as that.

That was certainly my take, even if I always liked big Tel as a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve - was like that as a player as well - focused, determined and as brave and honest as they come, which certainly comes over in this interview - :top marksto the man for telling it like it is :not worth

Rake up the old posts and you'll find there was alot of the old not taking him cos he's a hun patter.

He was never my first choice but he does his best work as a manager in the Scottish game IMO, would have been a sound choice.

al bundy
19-01-2011, 12:41 PM
A only wish our players had the passion of tel then we would be no where near the bottom

well done terry

offshorehibby
19-01-2011, 04:00 PM
On threads at the time, he was my choice for manager. He's done well at Motherwell & ICT

Mr Magoo
19-01-2011, 09:28 PM

As it say on the tin "Hero" Wish more SPL Managers took the time to talk as passionately as big Tel:aok:

steakbake
19-01-2011, 09:35 PM

As it say on the tin "Hero" Wish more SPL Managers took the time to talk as passionately as big Tel:aok:

Wonder if he fancies a job?

GreenCastle
20-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Rooney to Hibs..

Butcher to Hibs...
:cool2:

NAE NOOKIE
20-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Why is this guy not in charge of the SPL .... If only.

Made total sense and seems to be the only high profile man in the SPL who is saying ... wait a minute the fans dont want a 10 team disaster, why wont you listen to them ?

Well done Terry ... If only half the whimps in Scottish Footballl had your balls.

As for ICT: IMO most fans dont have any problem with them being in the SPL.

The only problem I have is that given how popular football always seemed to be in the highlands, its a bit surprising that ICT dont attract bigger crowds than they do. Not to mention I had kind of hoped they would have a ground by now at least to McDairmid Park standard as opposed to the half built excuse they currently have.

Thought they might even be up to the level, as a club, of Dundee Utd or even Hibs when you think of the top clubs in Scotland, at least support wise.

As I understand it Clach are on their uppers now. Perhaps its time to get them on board ,change the name to Inverness Utd and try to get some investment for a decent ground.

snooky
20-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Pick up thy sword Sir Terence and we will follow. :not worth

GreenCastle
20-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Looks like Motherwell are coming out saying they aren't happy either.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/motherwell/9368151.stm

It seems the SPL have tried to release a statement to say everyone is happy when they are far from it.

Still a long way to go before anything happens I reckon.