PDA

View Full Version : Bent?

DAZ86
18-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Wot do you guys make of this?

Seems a high fee , then again shows what a team will do for goals in a bid for safety???:cool2:

Jim44
18-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Seems a high fee , then again shows what a team will do for goals in a bid for safety???:cool2:

:confused:

Stevie Reid
18-01-2011, 12:30 PM
3rd highest scorer in the Premier after Drogba and Rooney in the last 6 years. Limited, but his EPL scoring ratio is superb.

easty
18-01-2011, 12:31 PM
It is a lot of money, but he's got a really really good goalscoring record in the EPL, goals win games and players who win games cost a lot of money.

He'll fit in well at Villa, he's pacey and will suit the counter attacking football they always seem to play.

HibeeEmma
18-01-2011, 12:36 PM
He was bought by them for £10million which was high at the time and has only gone on to score more regular goals.

I also think that with Man City paying ridiculous prices it has upped the general asking price in the EPL.

GreenPJ
18-01-2011, 12:41 PM
We will take John Carew on loan for the rest of the season to save him warming the bench :devil:

Stevie Reid
18-01-2011, 12:42 PM
134 goals in 308 games. £18M doesn't seem over the top in the Premiership tbh

Speedy
18-01-2011, 12:44 PM
He was bought by them for £10million which was high at the time and has only gone on to score more regular goals.

I also think that with Man City paying ridiculous prices it has upped the general asking price in the EPL.

The fact that's he's English always seems to bump up the price as well.

It would be good business for Sunderland he's been struggled to repeat last season's form a bit this season, most likely because he hasn't been the only goal threat and it's a very good offer. As you say though, he's a proven premier league player and would be a good acquisition for Villa. It'll be interesting to see who Sunderland replace him with.

'Mon the Hibs
18-01-2011, 12:46 PM
At 1st I was amazed about how much money has been spent on him.

But looking at his stats, it doesn't seem bad in todays market.

However, it is still a disgustingly huge amount of money and shows what the game has come to nowdays.

steviecarnie
18-01-2011, 12:48 PM
134 goals in 308 games. £18M doesn't seem over the top in the Premiership tbh

80k a week on top of that

Stevie Reid
18-01-2011, 01:04 PM
80k a week on top of that

He was apparently amongst the top ten highest paid players in the world when he was at Spurs, on £110K a week!

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Martin O'Neil must be scratching his head. When he was in charge and things were going great guns, he couldn't get a penny from his chairman. He was under pressure to sell players and not get any money back to re-invest. That's kinda familiar...:rolleyes:

marleyhib
18-01-2011, 01:34 PM
He's a good player no doubt, from watching Sunderland he's best suited to playing up front on his own.

Hard to say what he's worth, what someone is willing to pay I guess but if he keeps Villa up then its probably £18 million well spent.

He will get goals for Villa and Sunderland will probably be happy with the money.

The Voice Of Reason
18-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Absoloutely not ! (Happily married with 3 kids). :agree:

:devil:

Cocaine&Caviar
18-01-2011, 01:38 PM
He was apparently amongst the top ten highest paid players in the world when he was at Spurs, on £110K a week!

Partly due to the high interest from West Ham back when they were giving crazy money to the likes of Dyer, Ljunjberg etc.

Talk of Bothroyd going to Sunderland as a replacement, which wouldnt be a bad bit of business, considering they have Gyan and Welbeck until the end of the season also.

The_Sauz
18-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I thought this was another Paul Heartly thread :greengrin

Keith_M
18-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm just glad he's not signed for us.

Can you imagine all the Hibs fans with 'Bent' on their replica strips at the next derby? The Yams would have a field day :greengrin

SmokieJoe
18-01-2011, 04:38 PM

It's him or his agent trying a Rooney/Tevez move for more candy.

Either way, if he stays he gest better wages, if he goes he gets better wages and signing on fee

Cool_Hand_Luke
18-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Am sure i read that the deal was worth £24m - £30m in cash + Emile Heskey going the other way :greengrin

Speedy
18-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Am sure i read that the deal was worth £24m - £30m in cash + Emile Heskey going the other way :greengrin

£18m possibly rising to £24m apparently.

Dunbar Hibee
18-01-2011, 05:28 PM
A lot more players in the Prem who are better than Darren Bent who you could sign for that amount.

Speedy
18-01-2011, 05:51 PM
A lot more players in the Prem who are better than Darren Bent who you could sign for that amount.

Who?

I'm not saying there aren't any but I'd be interested to know who you think is better and could be signed for that money.

hibeemikey21
18-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Drogba-wouldn't be a wise investment, but you could buy him for that amount

Gerrard-same again

Bale maybe?? £24 mill offer would be a head turner

Van der vaart

The Cahills (Tim and Gary)

Modric

Nasri?? (maybe a bit more than £24 mil)

Andy Carroll - maybe not better at the moment, but a better buy in the long run IMO

marleyhib
18-01-2011, 06:17 PM
His price is inflated as it's January but what strikers in the EPL are better? Torres, Tevez, Anelka, Defoe, Rooney, Van Persie probably - all of them would cost silly money and a) wouldn't go to Villa b) wouldn't be sold in January

ScottB
18-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Gerrard-same again

Van der vaart

Modric

Andy Carroll - maybe not better at the moment, but a better buy in the long run IMO

The cold hard stats say otherwise, only Drogba betters him.

And there's no chance Tottenham would sell either of those guys.

hibeemikey21
18-01-2011, 06:34 PM
The cold hard stats say otherwise, only Drogba betters him.

And there's no chance Tottenham would sell either of those guys.

Just in terms of goals, but he asked who in the league was better. I would argue all the players I listed are better footballers than bent, but not necessarily better goalscorers.

If tottenham got a £24 mil offer for vdv or modric, I reckon they would be off. Bale might be about £30 mil now as his stock has risen exponentially. Funny seeing as how a team probably could have got him for £10 mil this time last year

ScottB
18-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Just in terms of goals, but he asked who in the league was better. I would argue all the players I listed are better footballers than bent, but not necessarily better goalscorers.

If tottenham got a £24 mil offer for vdv or modric, I reckon they would be off. Bale might be about £30 mil now as his stock has risen exponentially. Funny seeing as how a team probably could have got him for £10 mil this time last year

Possibly, but Villa would appear to want a striker, and he has by far the best record of anyone they could realistically sign.

I disagree, Spurs are in the hunt for Champs League places, no way they'd sell top players in January.

Speedy
18-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Gerrard-same again

Van der vaart

Modric

When I read the original comment I was thinking of strikers. It's a bit daft comparing the prices of players in different positions.

Out of the two strikers on the list. Drogba would probably cost about the same(if he was allowed to move) and has an equally impressive scoring record. As you say he's older and wouldn't go to Villa anyway so he wouldn't be an alternative to Bent.

Andy Carroll has had a good season but he's not done much else and I think a lot of the hype is because he's "an old fashioned English centre forward". There isn't concrete to suggest he is a better player than Bent and it would be difficult to suggest he will be better long term after half a season.

Speedy
18-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Possibly, but Villa would appear to want a striker, and he has by far the best record of anyone they could realistically sign.

I disagree, Spurs are in the hunt for Champs League places, no way they'd sell top players in January.

Modric maybe but there's no chance VDV would be going anywhere for under £30m

fatbloke
18-01-2011, 07:38 PM
No. Heterosexual actually but thanks for asking,:greengrin