PDA

View Full Version : Are we the worst Hibs fans Ever?

Mikeystewart
18-01-2011, 01:01 AM
It seems like everyone for the past couple of seasons has taken a beating for their performances.

From the Managers, the players, the board, the baker the candlestick maker and even the guy that cuts the grass.

So how about some reflection?

Are we the worst Hibs fans ever, because fans; their expectations and demands upon their clubs change over the years, their interest in the game and priorities in life.

Don't forget the impact the recession has made on the loyalties of football fans, and the capacity for patience.

A refreshing change from the procession of this victim mentality that a lot on here are stuck in just now.

Not suggesting for a moment that the current blame aimed at every party bar the fans is unwarranted, just a bit fed up and thought id post something new.

Speedway
18-01-2011, 01:07 AM
It seems like everyone for the past couple of seasons has taken a beating for their performances.

From the Managers, the players, the board, the baker the candlestick maker and even the guy that cuts the grass.

Are we the worst Hibs fans ever, because fans; their expectations and demands upon their clubs change over the years, their interest in the game and priorities in life.

Don't forget the impact the recession has made on the loyalties of football fans, and the capacity for patience.

A refreshing change from the procession of this victim mentality that a lot on here are stuck in just now.

Not suggesting for a moment that the current blame aimed at every party bar the fans is unwarranted, just a bit fed up and thought id post something new.

:agree:

Reap what you sow etc.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-01-2011, 07:49 AM
I think first and foremost the amount of money we pay to watch this dross must be the real factor here, £27 to get in on Saturday is just not on in my book, for an hour and a half's "entertainment" it sure doesn't sound like a good deal plus everything that goes with it.

I miss the banter of going to Easter Road these days especially the laughs I used to get on the old east terracing when we were allowed to stand and at least be able to move about when it was freezing cold.

There is no way in hell I would pay that kind of money to watch this present day team as is simply does not constitute value for money.

And before happy clappers jump down my throat I travelled everywhere with Hibs from 1963 until the end of 2004/5 season hardly missing a game I may add, Williamson put an end to any notion that I was going to carry on going to games, fanatical wasn't the word and I put going to matches before more important things financial wise.

I don't think I have ever seen such a pissed off Hibs support recently and with money both ruling and ruining the sport it will take a miracle for our beloved game to recover.

billbee
18-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Well said :agree:

Green_one
18-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Silly question but a few points

1. We turn up more than the average Hibs supporter has over my period of supporting Hibs 40 plus years. We did Stand up and be counted. I think we have been let down there
2. We are paying way more than any fans in history.
3. We have constantly shouldered the problems created by others - debt, poor stadia and lack of success. Only the stadia has improved significantly over my years at Hibs.
4. Claims about conveyor belts of talent and the impact of a new training ground are all fictitious
Bottom line is Hibs and all other fans have their breaking points. That can be cumulative or sudden. Repeatedly we hope the next manager will put it right. At the same time we watch other teams with less resources do better. Its not much to ask that we simply punch our weight. We remain one of the most balanced and football loving group of fans in Scotland. We are true to our traditions and you only had to see the obvious pride of most when the East Stand went up that we all love this club. However irrational that may be. It hurts presently, so sometimes we need to lash out. It was easier to be a GOOD fan watching Turnbull's boys. :greengrin

marleyhib
18-01-2011, 09:26 AM
No we are the same as ever.

Scottish football has become sanitised and of poorer quality, teams couldn't afford the new stadia after the Taylor Report and the gap between the OF and the rest got even bigger.

I want to watch decent football, I don't really care about the stadium and I don't want to be ripped off.

Yes we are moaning more as we have been really bad for a year but I just think the product is poorer, more expensive and Hibs got the balance wrong between running a business and entertaining their fans.

MB62
18-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Silly question but a few points

Bottom line is Hibs and all other fans have their breaking points.

I don't think I have ever seen such a pissed off Hibs support recently and with money both ruling and ruining the sport it will take a miracle for our beloved game to recover.

I have to agree completely with both these comments. Unfortunately, I and a good few others, have totally lost interest in watching this Hibs team, but probably more importantly, we are fed up in the way the playing side of things is being run.
Things are so bad, I woke up this morning and forgot Hibs were even playing tonight. It was not until I read the morning paper that it reminded me. Normally I would be a nervous wreck until kick-off time.

Jack
18-01-2011, 10:06 AM
In the 40ish years I’ve followed Hibs we’ve averaged something like 6th in the league; we’ve won 3 league cups and a summer cup. We used to have regular and extended runs in Europe.

In the 40ish years I’ve followed Hibs we’ve averaged something like the 4th best financed club in the SPL.

We’ve had infrastructure that was adequate for the day, its now ‘state of the art’; we’ve spent pretty much in line with other clubs when the going was good, our accounts are now more stable than most. Our spending power is 3rd or 4th in the league.

Its been a roller coaster of a ride in my time but on average, I’d say we’ve underachieved.

Good times are just round the corner – just as they’ve always been.

The support deserves better.

Ray_
18-01-2011, 10:25 AM
I have to agree completely with both these comments. Unfortunately, I and a good few others, have totally lost interest in watching this Hibs team, but probably more importantly, we are fed up in the way the playing side of things is being run.
Things are so bad, I woke up this morning and forgot Hibs were even playing tonight. It was not until I read the morning paper that it reminded me. Normally I would be a nervous wreck until kick-off time.

Sadly that says it for a lot of us I fear & the even sadder thing is that it was always going to end up this way, from the time O'Connor got sold, at such a critical point in our season, it was clear about the complacency issues surrounding the board and the playing side of things.

Another clue was the way they went on about the youth development after the golden generation became established, the way they were talking was that was a sign of things to come, rather than a factual & realistic assessment, that the last time this occurred was about forty years previously. Sure we could improve the youth development, but not to the level they were/are believing.

Phil D. Rolls
18-01-2011, 10:29 AM
In the 40ish years I’ve followed Hibs we’ve averaged something like 6th in the league; we’ve won 3 league cups and a summer cup. We used to have regular and extended runs in Europe.

In the 40ish years I’ve followed Hibs we’ve averaged something like the 4th best financed club in the SPL.

We’ve had infrastructure that was adequate for the day, its now ‘state of the art’; we’ve spent pretty much in line with other clubs when the going was good, our accounts are now more stable than most. Our spending power is 3rd or 4th in the league.

Its been a roller coaster of a ride in my time but on average, I’d say we’ve underachieved.

Good times are just round the corner – just as they’ve always been.

The support deserves better.

Is that not the real question here? Namely that the support get the team they deserve.

down the slope
18-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I think fans were just as bad if not worse in the past , i can remember games in the early sixties when there were three or four thousand at games when we were in the same predicament that we are now. This was less than ten years after we had won the league so things can change very quickly . equally if we had a winning team on the park we would get a lot more bums on seats , personally i know more Hibs fans who don't go to games than who do.

Andy74
18-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Is that not the real question here? Namely that the support get the team they deserve.

Eventually we do. We've slowly and gradually hounded everybody until we are where we are now.

Even when things are good we want to look for things, Benji for example when he was going through personal stuff got abused and not supported, just about every new player is written off within weeks.

Mowbray's team used to get stick for various things, Whittaker couldn't defend, Killen was a wage thief, Sproule was a one trick pony, the list goes on.

Hughes' results were lucky for 7 months, and now we are just plain shot of any sort of confidence.

I'm not sure why but we do seem to look for negative things to the extent that we make sure they happen through lack of support and then outright abuse.

SlickShoes
18-01-2011, 10:43 AM
No we arent, its just the age of the internet.

In the past all these moaners only moaned to family and friends and didnt get to broadcast or share it with thousands of others.

What may start as after game rage that has gone after venting can turn into a thread that lasts for weeks.

Its probably a combination of the internet and the fact that scottish football is dominated by 2 teams and no one has a chance of winning the league, supporting a sporting team that you know has 0 chance of winning the main competition they play it is pretty grim, after all the point of sport is to win.

Vini1875
18-01-2011, 10:44 AM
There are no clubs selling out their grounds at the minute, even teams that are winning have seen a decline. The fans have watched/suffered for a while

Hamish
18-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I have only attended a couple of games this season, but on both occasions i could not believe the severity of the abuse dished out. When I went on a regular basis there of course was moaners and complainers, shouts at various players etc but nothing compared to the bile and vitriol I saw and heard, even worse than last season. Doesn't help anyone IMO when we also have threads ''Is A the worst ever midfielder, Is B the poorest manager'' etc. The players we have now should not have us in the league position we are, they are individually good players, but totally lack confidence and are scared to express themselves and try anything a bit different for fear of it not working and perhaps losing a goal. The manager has to bring some togetherness to them and help them to begin believing in their abilities again

Not In The Know
18-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Yep i agree with the OP.

The abuse and moaning at the games these days is unbelievable, (i know we are p1sh on the pitch). Dont get me wrong im not a happy clapper who has blind faith in the team but and i dont think its a coincidence that the new east stand has seen some of the worst football in years at ER. Mainly due to the improved acoustics and the players hearing EVERY bit of shouted abuse.

The players are terrified to make a mistake. I was at sunderland EPL match not so long ago and when a player made a howler of a mistake i expected the fans to go crazy at him, instead there was little reaction if not cheers of encouragement, it felt strange!

Hibee Daz
18-01-2011, 11:36 AM
No we aren't but are watching one of the worst Hibs teams ever.
The team will always receive the support it deserves when us fans can see an adequate level of effort and desire, but I firmly believe the fans are at breaking point because it feels like there are only 1 or 2 players who actually give a **** IMO.

LancashireHibby
18-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I think it's wrong to suggest that the players don't care, but their confidence is shot to bits at the minute and the barrage of abuse that greets every mistake isn't going to solve anything.

Jack
18-01-2011, 11:41 AM

My point was that the fans of the club are, on average, the 4th best support in Scotland both in numbers and financial terms but the return we have been given by the club is a poor 6th when the lack of success in cups and Europe is considered.

A regular 4th place would have seen us regularly in Europe. The rewards that would bring to the club, financially and being in a better position to attract better quality players, would of course have added to excitement for the support and better quality football by those better players; a constant semi-final in both cups is also better than we’ve had.

So no we have not had the team we deserve, the support has been better, given more, than the team/club has given us back - on average :agree:

GraniteCityHibs
18-01-2011, 11:42 AM
No we arent, its just the age of the internet.

In the past all these moaners only moaned to family and friends and didnt get to broadcast or share it with thousands of others.

What may start as after game rage that has gone after venting can turn into a thread that lasts for weeks.

Its probably a combination of the internet and the fact that scottish football is dominated by 2 teams and no one has a chance of winning the league, supporting a sporting team that you know has 0 chance of winning the main competition they play it is pretty grim, after all the point of sport is to win.

:top marks:agree: 100% agree with that!

MrSmith
18-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Agree with most on this thread. Sadly, I really do feel that 'WE' as fans have reached our tipping point! 12 years of belt tightening, selling our best players, being told it will get better, seeing nothing on the park in terms of decent players and young players making the grade and being cautiously prudent has gotten us to our lowest ebb ever - in my 40 years of supporting Hibs.

Frustrated
Aggrieved
Angry
Peeved Off
And, a whole load of other adjectives and expletives that wouldn't get passed the swear filter!!

I look at the stadium and training center as positives however, unfortunately they can't play football but I'm sure these assets would outperform the current team.

marleyhib
18-01-2011, 12:43 PM
:top marks:agree: 100% agree with that!

I blame that Hibs.net website thingy

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2011, 12:50 PM
The guy directly behind me goes off on one every week virtually from the first minute. It used to be Nish, now its DeGraff and Dickoh. Every time there's a misplaced pass, or something they do wrong, in fact sometimes they don't even have to do anything wrong, and its aw ffs man, thats ****in useless at the top of his voice, the veins are popping out his neck at times.

I wonder why he goes?:confused:

LancashireHibby
18-01-2011, 12:53 PM
The guy directly behind me goes off on one every week virtually from the first minute. It used to be Nish, now its DeGraff and Dickoh. Every time there's a misplaced pass, or something they do wrong, in fact sometimes they don't even have to do anything wrong, and its aw ffs man, thats ****in useless at the top of his voice, the veins are popping out his neck at times.

I wonder why he goes?:confused:
I didn't know the chap who sits in front of you had access to your account on here.

Mikeystewart
18-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I agree that a clubs success off the pitch should be replicated on the pitch.

If you look at the main losses in playing staff over the past year, would have to be Bamba and Stokes both players wanted to leave for pastures new, you cant break the bank to hold onto players that dont want to be here anymore.

On the subject of prices yes walk up is outrageous but if over the period of a season the walk up prices changed by performance the season ticket holders would go wild that it was cheaper just to walk up every week and pick your seat.

I also think from the view of the board the team punched above their weight in finishing fourth, considering we finished 6th two years back to back. They probably reserved the right to incease season ticket prices let alone lower them which they did, and fix them for the 2 year season ticket plan.

Things will change next year the club knows that, the budgeting comittee and marketing team they will be working their socks off at thinking of ways to bring the fans back without comprimising the strict pricing structure.

Fans that also invested in the two year plan will be pretty bumped if they found out they coughed up more for their season ticket expecting the price to go up rather than down, very shrewd peice of marketing by the club.

In short buying the 3rd most expensive season ticket is no gaurantee that your going to witness the 3rd best team/ performances /league position. Its the risk as a fan you take.

If you are not prepared for that risk to backfire then dont bother.

Stop moaning and vote with your feet.

BEEJ
18-01-2011, 07:04 PM

I also think from the view of the board the team punched above their weight in finishing fourth, considering we finished 6th two years back to back.
I think in that one astounding sentence you just explained why you started this thread in the first place. :wink:

You are clearly content for Hibs to languish in mid-table mediocrity each season and see anything better than that as bordering on the miraculous.

No wonder you're obviously so taken aback by the reaction of some of the Hibs supporters to our form of the last 11 months. You don't feel we've fallen that far from where you would always expect us to be.

(By the way, pinning the bulk of the blame on the supporters is not really new on here. A few posters got in long before you. :greengrin)

Mikeystewart
18-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I think in that one astounding sentence you just explained why you started this thread in the first place. :wink:

You are clearly content for Hibs to languish in mid-table mediocrity each season and see anything better than that as bordering on the miraculous.

No wonder you're obviously so taken aback by the reaction of some of the Hibs supporters to our form of the last 11 months. You don't feel we've fallen that far from where you would always expect us to be.

(By the way, pinning the bulk of the blame on the supporters is not really new on here. A few posters got in long before you. :greengrin)

I don't think that is true..... or in other words go and have a relaxing lie down with some scented candles its obviously been a long day at the office.

At what point did I pin any blame on fans, I was merely starting a debate that you apparently missed the point of. You post adds nothing.

I am as frustrated as the next hibbie and I am doing the mentally balanced thing of asking the question about fans rather than blaming the professionals.

If we are so much a part of this club surely we must be considered for taking a chunk of the blame.

My feeling on this thread and if any blame was to be handed out towards fans, is that Hibs fans seem to believe that our (relatively speaking in Old Firm terms) slight financial advantage over 9 other clubs in the SPL gives us some unwritten right to be beating everyone else.

Not just Hibs fans all fans in general, I think football fans believe that if their club is not doing better than their rivals that somehow the players don't care, the sheer nature of the sport and sport in general is that their are going to be some worse than others no matter how much money and effort is spent.

If it wasn't for my green tinted glasses this season could be viewed as being pretty decent. I have witnessed some good performances at Easter Road this Season but none coming from the men in green and white. Its been blown wide open from 4th to 12th and even at the top 3 it has been entertaining.

Its not just a view about hibs this is football around the world in general.

As I said before if people don't want to pay x amount of money for a season ticket then don't pay and the board will soon get the message. If you are willing to take a chance and you can afford and will put up with any standard of football on the pitch then buy a ticket.

I know this may sound contrary to the size of my posts but football is quite simple and a lot of people are over complicating it.

One Day Soon
18-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Let's just say we're not the best......

hibsbollah
18-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Not at all. The lack of atmosphere compared to days gone by affects all teams' support. The 12th Man campaign and the singing section have been the best thing about this season, and the fans did it themselves. The same fans that sang Sunshine on Leith after winning the cup less than four years ago are the same fans that are there now. They just need something to happen on the pitch.

Houchy
18-01-2011, 09:05 PM
No, these fraudsters don't deserve any support. The fans tonight have been fantastic but the team don't give a flying one.

HibeeEmma
18-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd say were pretty good considering the crowd at Ayr tonight despite recent performances...not to mention this display