PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2011

Sir David Gray
17-01-2011, 08:32 PM
The new tennis season is upon us and the first major title of 2011 is up for grabs already.

It's barely two months since Roger Federer defeated Rafael Nadal in London to win the season ending championships and, in doing so, bringing the curtain down on 2010 but we're now off to Melbourne for the first Grand Slam of the season.

The action started last night and Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic are both safely through to round two with straight sets victories, both of them were in fantastic form and are likely to be there or there abouts at the end of week two when the business end of the tournament is happening.

Tonight it's the turn of Andy Murray and Rafael Nadal to show what they can do. For Nadal, it's the chance to make history.

Not since Rod Laver in 1969, 42 years ago, has a male tennis player won all four Grand Slam tournaments in one calendar year and although that particular stat can't change until the end of this year at the earliest, since 1969 one man has never held all four Grand Slam titles at the one time and that is something that Nadal could change if he wins in Melbourne.

After going out to Andy Murray in the Australian Open quarter-finals last year, Nadal went on to dominate the Majors in 2010 with victories at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open and if he wins his second Australian Open title, he will create his own bit of history.

Nadal will begin the tournament against Brazilian Marcos Daniel and it's not a match that should cause him too many problems. They have met twice before and Nadal has yet to drop a set against him.

Murray, on the other hand, is the solitary male entrant for Britain this year and he starts against Slovakian Karol Beck. They have never met before but I wouldn't imagine that Murray will be having a restless night thinking about this match.

Anyone in the UK who fancies watching Murray's match live can watch it on BBC 2. The bad news is that you will need to set your alarm for about 4am.

Personally, I think I'll just settle for the replay later on in the day.

Good news for Britain in the women's draw yesterday with Elena Baltacha and Anne Keothavong both getting into the second round. Both women will now meet seeds in the next round but whilst Keothavong faces a decent draw against Andrea Petkovic, Baltacha has the daunting task of facing Justine Henin.

Good luck to both of them.

Greentinted
18-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Excellent new gear, want it now!

MUCHO GREENISHNESS (http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=andy+murray+adidas+green&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1264&bih=575)

:flag:

Sir David Gray
18-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Andy Murray won his opening round match against Karol Beck this morning as his opponent retired hurt with Murray leading 6-3 6-1 4-2. Murray will now play Illya Marchenko in round two.

Afterwards when he was being interviewed, the interviewer commented on his green outfit by saying "it looks suspiciously like Hibernian."

Murray replied, "Yeah I'm sure the Hibs boys will like it!" :thumbsup:

Gaun' yersel' Andy! :aok:

In other news, Rafael Nadal got safely through as his opponent also retired injured as Nadal was leading 6-0 5-0. He will now play Ryan Sweeting in the second round.

In the women's draw, Kim Clijsters beat the former world number one, Dinara Safina, 6-0 6-0 in just 44 minutes. Safina got to the Australian Open final only two years ago but is now down in 75th place in the world rankings and, after that defeat, will now likely drop out of the top 100.

jodjam
18-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Shocking result for Safina.....i've stuck a few bob on Henin but may look to lay it off if she gets through couple more rounds.

Liked Murray's Hibs comments.

BEEJ
18-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Something of an aside, but tennis related so let me ask the question anyway. :greengrin

Is it my imagination, or are there many more retirals from matches these days than say ten or more years ago. Players seem to be constantly retiring hurt and conceding their match.

Is this something to do with the world ranking system in that to retire hurt is not scored as badly as actually losing the match? :dunno:

Sir David Gray
20-01-2011, 04:04 PM
And then there was one.

After day 3 of the competition, Andy Murray was the sole remaining British player in both the men's and the women's draw.

Elena Baltacha, as expected, lost heavily to former world number one Justine Henin and Anne Keothavong later lost to German Andrea Petkovic. Despite winning the first set, she went on to lose the decider 6-0.

Today, Murray played his second round match against Illya Marchenko and he was rarely tested by the Ukrainian as he won easily in straight sets.

He'll now face Guillermo Garcia Lopez in round three.

The other contenders for the title are all doing well too. Roger Federer got a huge fright yesterday as Gilles Simon came back from two sets down to force a decider but Federer eventually came through. Novak Djokovic dropped one set against Ivan Dodig but he too is through to the third round.

Today Rafael Nadal also got through to the third round as he hammered Ryan Sweeting in straight sets.

Something of an aside, but tennis related so let me ask the question anyway. :greengrin

Is it my imagination, or are there many more retirals from matches these days than say ten or more years ago. Players seem to be constantly retiring hurt and conceding their match.

Is this something to do with the world ranking system in that to retire hurt is not scored as badly as actually losing the match? :dunno:

There was a stat produced during last season which told you the amount of retirements midway through a match. I'll try to find it for you.

Twiglet
20-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Also, Jamie is playing in the doubles with Xavier Malisse. It's the first tournament they've played together in since becoming a doubles paing at the beginning of the year.
They beat the number 9 seeds in straight sets 6-4 6-0.
They take on Phau and Tipsarevic in the 2nd round. No idea what they're like as a doubles partnership though.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2011, 09:28 PM

This is a page with info related to your question, hope it helps.

http://thebenjamin.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/retirements-in-mens-tennis-majors/

Sir David Gray
21-01-2011, 08:52 PM
No huge shocks in today's tennis, in the men's draw.

Roger Federer progressed safely past Xavier Malisse in a straight sets victory. Novak Djokovic also got through to the last 16 after his opponent and fellow Serb, Viktor Troicki, retired after losing the first set 6-2.

Federer will now play the unseeded Spaniard Tommy Robredo and Djokovic will also face a Spaniard in Nicolas Almagro.

There were also wins today for Tomas Berdych, Fernando Verdasco, Andy Roddick and Stanislas Wawrinka.

Tomorrow, Andy Murray plays his third round match against Guillermo Garcia Lopez. The match will take place approximately between 1.30-2am (UK time) so anyone willing to stay up will be able to watch it live on BBC 2.

Also in action is Rafael Nadal as he plays young Australian Bernard Tomic. That match will be on at around 10am (UK time).

In the women's draw, Justine Henin is out after she lost to Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Venus Williams is also out after she retired with an injury in only the second game of her match against Andrea Petkovic. It is the first time that Venus has ever retired from a Grand Slam match.

Maria Sharapova and Caroline Wozniacki are both through to the last 16.

Barney McGrew
22-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Good win for Murray, cruised through 6-1 6-1 6-2 against Garcia Lopez. Must be the green and white shirts that are giving him the luck :cool2:

Meltzer or Bahgdatis next up in the last 16.

BEEJ
23-01-2011, 08:20 PM
This is a page with info related to your question, hope it helps.

http://thebenjamin.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/retirements-in-mens-tennis-majors/
Interesting. Thanks for looking that out. :aok:

Clearly retirements are becoming increasingly frequent. I thought the most telling para in his blog was his reference to the changing attitudes in the game to injury.

Sylar
23-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Had to endure watching that little prick Stanislas Wawrinka put Andy Roddick out today.

He played the better tennis, no argument, but I have a real problem with the gamesmanship and poor sporting conduct of Wawrinka. Every bit as bad as Djokovic IMO.

Twiglet
23-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Here's an article by Andy Murray for one of the Aussie newspapers. It gives a wee bit of an insight into his sense of humour. Had me in giggles reading some of it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/wearing-a-pink-tracksuit-better-than-a-dress/story-fn79h9tu-1225993281603

Sir David Gray
23-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Day 7 of the Australian Open and it's the start of the last 16 matches, the stage of a Grand Slam where the players usually say that's when the tournament really starts.

In the men's draw, Roger Federer lost the third set of his tournament so far but still had enough to see off Tommy Robredo in four sets and progress to the quarter finals.

Stanislas Wawrinka produced a mini-shock (in that he beat a higher ranked player) as he hammered Andy Roddick in straight sets. He will now face his compatriot Federer in the last 8.

There were no problems for Novak Djokovic as he thumped Nicolas Almagro and he will now play Tomas Berdych in the quarter finals, after last year's Wimbledon finalist beat Fernando Verdasco. It will be a chance for revenge for Djokovic after Berdych beat him in the semi finals of Wimbledon last year.

In the women's draw, top seed Caroline Wozniacki continued her good form by beating Anastasija Sevastova and Na Li beat Victoria Azarenka.

It was an interesting match between Francesca Schiavone and Svetlana Kuznetsova. The match was one set all and it was going into a final, deciding set. With no tie-break in the final set of the Australian Open, when it went to seven games all, people were casting their minds back to last June when Nicolas Mahut and John Isner played an astonishing 138 games in the final set of their match at Wimbledon, before Isner was finally declared the winner after 3 days of play.

It wasn't quite as dramatic as that this time around, although 30 games were played in the final set as Schiavone eventually won through 16-14 after a deciding set that took 3 hours. Kuznetsova wasted six match points earlier in the match but it will be the reigning French Open champion who goes through to face Wozniacki.

German Andrea Petkovic beat Maria Sharapova in straight sets and will face Na Li.

Sharapova's exit means that there's now only two women left in the draw who have won a Grand Slam (Schiavone and Kim Clijsters).

On day 8, Andy Murray takes on Austrian, number 11 seed, Jurgen Melzer. Frustratingly for British viewers, once again he will be playing in the early hours of the morning (UK time) and he will be starting at around 2.30am.

Before Murray's match, Robin Soderling will play Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine. The winner of this match will play the winner of Murray-Melzer in the quarter finals.

David Ferrer will be playing the only male player left in the draw that I have honestly never heard of before, Milos Raonic of Canada. The 20 year old had never won a Grand Slam match before playing in Melbourne this year and he had a fantastic result in the previous round when he knocked out Mikhail Youzhny. He's the first qualifier to reach the last 16 of a Grand Slam for 12 years.

The last remaining last 16 match sees Rafael Nadal play Marin Cilic and this will start at 8.30am (UK time).

Had to endure watching that little prick Stanislas Wawrinka put Andy Roddick out today.

He played the better tennis, no argument, but I have a real problem with the gamesmanship and poor sporting conduct of Wawrinka. Every bit as bad as Djokovic IMO.

I didn't see that match so I can't comment on what you're speaking about.

However, I have to disagree with you about Djokovic. He is up there with Nadal as being the best "sport" in the game.

He is the only male player that I am aware of who applauds a good shot from his opponent and he is also usually very gracious in defeat as well.

Here's an article by Andy Murray for one of the Aussie newspapers. It gives a wee bit of an insight into his sense of humour. Had me in giggles reading some of it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/wearing-a-pink-tracksuit-better-than-a-dress/story-fn79h9tu-1225993281603

Of course, this won't reach the papers over here as that goes completely against the "dour Scotsman" agenda that the English media likes to put forward when it comes to Andy Murray. :rolleyes:

They completely ignore the various comments that have been made over the years, from the people who work closely with Murray, who say that he is an extremely fun guy to be around and that he has a great sense of humour.

HibbyAndy
24-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Oan Bet365 it says Murray is playing the night, Surely no he played last night?

Sir David Gray
24-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Fantastic performance by Murray this morning as he wiped the floor with Jurgen Melzer. Murray had his first real test in this match and he passed it with flying colours as he won 6-3 6-1 6-1 against the Austrian.

Murray now plays Alexandr Dolgopolov as he stunned Robin Soderling to become the first Ukrainian man to reach the quarter finals of a Grand Slam for 12 years. Soderling eased to the opening set in just over 20 minutes but Dolgopolov came back to win the next two sets. However Soderling came back to level the match but it was Dolgopolov who took the decider to win 1-6 6-3 6-1 4-6 6-2 in just over two and a half hours.

It was Dolgopolov's second five-set match in a row after he beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga by the same scoreline in the previous round. On paper, it's a great draw for Murray as he would have loved to be playing a non-seed for a place in the semi-finals, before the tournament, but he obviously can't take Dolgopolov lightly as he's now beaten two former Grand Slam finalists in a row and he will want to make it three in a row by knocking Murray out.

In the other two last 16 matches, Milos Raonic's Australian Open came to an end as he was finally defeated by David Ferrer, but the young Canadian did take the first set, before Ferrer came back to win in four sets.

In the final last 16 match, Rafael Nadal won a potentially tricky match against Marin Cilic, in straight sets. The world number one won 6-2 6-4 6-3. He'll now face fellow Spaniard Ferrer in the last eight.

The quarter finals begin tomorrow and Stanislas Wawrinka plays Roger Federer in the all-Swiss match-up. The match takes place at approximately 1.30am (UK time). The second quarter final is between Tomas Berdych and Novak Djokovic and that takes place at 8.30am (UK time).

In the women's draw, Petra Kvitova beat Flavia Pennetta, second seed Vera Zvonareva beat Iveta Benesova and Agnieszka Radwanska defeated Shuai Peng.

Kim Clijsters is currently a set and a break up against Ekaterina Makarova.

Oan Bet365 it says Murray is playing the night, Surely no he played last night?

No, he'll be playing his 1/4 final on Wednesday.

HibbyAndy
24-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Fantastic performance by Murray this morning as he wiped the floor with Jurgen Melzer. Murray had his first real test in this match and he passed it with flying colours as he won 6-3 6-1 6-1 against the Austrian.

Murray now plays Alexandr Dolgopolov as he stunned Robin Soderling to become the first Ukrainian man to reach the quarter finals of a Grand Slam for 12 years. Soderling eased to the opening set in just over 20 minutes but Dolgopolov came back to win the next two sets. However Soderling came back to level the match but it was Dolgopolov who took the decider to win 1-6 6-3 6-1 4-6 6-2 in just over two and a half hours.

It was Dolgopolov's second five-set match in a row after he beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga by the same scoreline in the previous round. On paper, it's a great draw for Murray as he would have loved to be playing a non-seed for a place in the semi-finals, before the tournament, but he obviously can't take Dolgopolov lightly as he's now beaten two former Grand Slam finalists in a row and he will want to make it three in a row by knocking Murray out.

In the other two last 16 matches, Milos Raonic's Australian Open came to an end as he was finally defeated by David Ferrer, but the young Canadian did take the first set, before Ferrer came back to win in four sets.

In the final last 16 match, Rafael Nadal won a potentially tricky match against Marin Cilic, in straight sets. The world number one won 6-2 6-4 6-3. He'll now face fellow Spaniard Ferrer in the last eight.

The quarter finals begin tomorrow and Stanislas Wawrinka plays Roger Federer in the all-Swiss match-up. The match takes place at approximately 1.30am (UK time). The second quarter final is between Tomas Berdych and Novak Djokovic and that takes place at 8.30am (UK time).

In the women's draw, Petra Kvitova beat Flavia Pennetta, second seed Vera Zvonareva beat Iveta Benesova and Agnieszka Radwanska defeated Shuai Peng.

Kim Clijsters is currently a set and a break up against Ekaterina Makarova.

No, he'll be playing his 1/4 final on Wednesday.

:aok:

Twiglet
24-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Day 9 and it's quarter final day mark 1.

Federer is second up on Rod Laver taking on fellow Swiss player Wawrinka. Roger leads 6-1 in the head to head having the last 4 meetings between the two.
Should be a victory for Fed, but we can't assume anything. Fed hasn't been at the top of his game in this tournament, but he is one of the few players in the world who can turn his tournament around quickly. I'm leaning towards Federer, but it wouldn't be the tournaments biggest upset if Wawrinka was to sneak through in 5 I don't think. Falkirk, what do you think?

Djokovic starts the evening session on Laver arena against Berdych, who of course, pu him out of Wimbeldon at the semi-final stage last year. That, however, was Berdych's only win over Djoko in the 5 matches they've played. Berdychs' only victory being at Wimbledon, was on grass. Their other 4 meetings were all on hard courts, the same surface as the Aussie. Could be an interesting one. Djoko with 1 grand slam (Aussie 2008) to his name will want to add to the tally, can he get past Berdych in this grand slam to get that wee bit closer to it?
Though Djokovic has won their last 2 meetings, Berdych did win the last time they met in a grand slam so I don't think the psychological advantage is totally in Djokos favour. I would still go for a Djokovic win though. Looking at the past records and Djokovic so far I think he'll get through with relative ease.

If anyone reads this after both the mens singles matches, and before I get a chance to go online, this may read differently as I may have to edit to save myaself from complete and utter embarrassment.:embarrass:wink:

Sir David Gray
25-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Day 9 and it's quarter final day mark 1.

Federer is second up on Rod Laver taking on fellow Swiss player Wawrinka. Roger leads 6-1 in the head to head having the last 4 meetings between the two.
Should be a victory for Fed, but we can't assume anything. Fed hasn't been at the top of his game in this tournament, but he is one of the few players in the world who can turn his tournament around quickly. I'm leaning towards Federer, but it wouldn't be the tournaments biggest upset if Wawrinka was to sneak through in 5 I don't think. Falkirk, what do you think?

Djokovic starts the evening session on Laver arena against Berdych, who of course, pu him out of Wimbeldon at the semi-final stage last year. That, however, was Berdych's only win over Djoko in the 5 matches they've played. Berdychs' only victory being at Wimbledon, was on grass. Their other 4 meetings were all on hard courts, the same surface as the Aussie. Could be an interesting one. Djoko with 1 grand slam (Aussie 2008) to his name will want to add to the tally, can he get past Berdych in this grand slam to get that wee bit closer to it?
Though Djokovic has won their last 2 meetings, Berdych did win the last time they met in a grand slam so I don't think the psychological advantage is totally in Djokos favour. I would still go for a Djokovic win though. Looking at the past records and Djokovic so far I think he'll get through with relative ease.

If anyone reads this after both the mens singles matches, and before I get a chance to go online, this may read differently as I may have to edit to save myaself from complete and utter embarrassment.:embarrass:wink:

Too late. :wink:

Roger Federer hammered Stanislas Wawrinka and, I have to say, he looks as if he's on top form and actually getting better!

Since 2004, Roger Federer has only failed to get to a Grand Slam semi final on three occasions, which is an amazing statistic.

He beat Wawrinka 6-1 6-3 6-3, which is very different from the scoreline that I was expecting, considering how well Wawrinka had been playing coming into this match.

In the other semi, Novak Djokovic was also in fantastic form as he beat Tomas Berdych 6-1 7-6 6-1. Djokovic started brilliantly and he took the opening set in a little over half an hour. Berdych started the second set strongly and actually looked as if he was going to level the match when he went 4-1 up but Djokovic came back at him as he won three games in a row to get it back on serve. Both men held their serve twice more to take it into a tie-break. Berdych really had to win it if he was going to have any realistic chance in the match but it was Djokovic who took it and he went two sets up.

The third set went the same way as the first as Djokovic dominated once again and won it 6-1 7-6 6-1 to set up a semi final against Federer. It will be a repeat of the semi final that they played at last year's US Open and if it's half as good as that amazing match then we'll be in for a real treat.

Tomorrow, the two remaining quarter finals are played and first up it's Andy Murray vs Alexandr Dolgopolov, which will start at around 3.30-4am (UK time). Very inconvenient for British viewers but I'll just need to catch it on the BBC red button at 8am.

The last quarter final is an all-Spanish affair as Rafael Nadal takes on David Ferrer. That match begins at 8.30am (UK time).

In the women's draw, Na Li beat Andrea Petkovic and world number one Caroline Wozniacki got past Francesca Schiavone, despite losing the opening set. They play each other in one of the semi finals.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Who did this Dolgopolov boy play at Wimbledon last year?

I remember watching him and, although i think he lost in the end, he had a few patches where he looked absolutely quality.

I only recognised him when i got a look at his photo in the paper today because i remembered thinking when i saw him in the summer he looked like a wee lassie and he still does.

Sir David Gray
25-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Who did this Dolgopolov boy play at Wimbledon last year?

I remember watching him and, although i think he lost in the end, he had a few patches where he looked absolutely quality.

I only recognised him when i got a look at his photo in the paper today because i remembered thinking when i saw him in the summer he looked like a wee lassie and he still does.

He beat Marco Chiudinelli in the first round but you probably watched him in his second round match against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, where he lost in five sets.

JimBHibees
26-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Murray through to semi and Nadal going out v Ferrer. Saw bits of Murray game and thought he was efficient rather than excellent. Nadal has a thigh injury which has no doubt effected the result. Ferrer has a decent record against Murray and no doubt will be a very hard game for Murray though absolutely no doubt Murray will be happy he isnt playing Nadal. The draw has really opened up for Murray of that there is no doubt.

H18sry
26-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Nadal out beaten by Ferrer http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9376582.stm

Pretty Boy
26-01-2011, 11:09 AM
This must be Murrays year. A run to the final that could have involved Del Potro, Soderling and Nadal ends up being Melzer, Dolgopolov and Ferrer.

Of course theres still the small matter of actually beating Ferrer then more than likely facing Federer in the final. Still he's playing well and i'm sure he would rather have the route he has got as opposed to the one he could have had.

JimBHibees
26-01-2011, 11:48 AM
This must be Murrays year. A run to the final that could have involved Del Potro, Soderling and Nadal ends up being Melzer, Dolgopolov and Ferrer.

Of course theres still the small matter of actually beating Ferrer then more than likely facing Federer in the final. Still he's playing well and i'm sure he would rather have the route he has got as opposed to the one he could have had.

Yep certainly could have been so much more difficult and personally have a feeling Djokovic may turn over Federer also. Would be great if he could get his first major.

stoneyburn hibs
26-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Fingers crossed , hope this is his year, i just have a fear in the back of my mind that murray is going to be the tennis equivalent to colin montgomerie, and never win a major , really hope that wont be the case.

HibbyAndy
26-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Hoping Djokovic beats Federer. If not make it a 5 hour fifth set decider to get Federer jaded.

Gawn yersel Andy, You wont ever have a better chance of landing that elusive major, And the whole of bonnie Scotland and Us hibbys are right behind you :aok:

JimBHibees
26-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Hoping Djokovic beats Federer. If not make it a 5 hour fifth set decider to get Federer jaded.
Gawn yersel Andy, You wont ever have a better chance of landing that elusive major, And the whole of bonnie Scotland and Us hibbys are right behind you :aok:

The only flaw in that is that Federer or whoever wins that semi has a full days recovery advantage which seems a little odd. That semi is tomorrow while Murray's is Friday.

Saw todays game and Ferrer will be a big test for Andy no doubt hopefully he can get the job done then win the final.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2011, 10:07 PM
It was far from a brilliant performance by Murray today but he got the job done.

His first serve percentage today won't be good enough against a better player, which Ferrer undoubtedly is.

However, it is certainly a fantastic draw that he has had. To get to the semi finals of a Grand Slam, without having to play someone in the top 10, is great news for anyone.

I think Murray is the overwhelming favourite to get to the final because, although he is behind in the head-to-head against David Ferrer, Murray has won their two previous meetings on hard courts.

It's only the second time that Ferrer has made the semi final of a Grand Slam. However, he can't be taken lightly and Murray will have to play well to beat him and I certainly think he'll have to play better than he did against Dolgopolov.

As for the other semi, I can't see past Federer to be honest. He has been immense in the matches that I have seen and although Djokovic played very well against Berdych in the last round, playing Federer is a completely different story.

I hope Djokovic does win because if Federer and Murray both get to the final, I think it will be too much for Murray as he was emotionally drained 12 months ago when he lost to Federer in last year's final.

Federer's only lost 6 out of 22 Grand Slam finals and 5 of those defeats have come against Rafael Nadal. The only other player to beat him in a Grand Slam final is Juan Martin del Potro.

The Federer-Djokovic match starts at 8.30am (UK time) tomorrow, for anyone who is interested.

iwasthere1972
27-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Did anyone spot the Hibby in the crowd proudly sporting his Hibs "McEwan Fraser" home top? Can't for the life of me remember if it was last night or a couple of nights ago.

cabbageandribs1875
27-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Did anyone spot the Hibby in the crowd proudly sporting his Hibs "McEwan Fraser" home top? Can't for the life of me remember if it was last night or a couple of nights ago.

was it maybe monday night ? i was at a relations funeral in edinburgh on tuesday and one of the younger relations is heading out to australia in the next few days(for a holiday) and meeting up with her friends, she mentioned he was spotted in the crowd with his hibs top on, iirc he told her he had chatted with andy murray and he(murray) told him it was the noiseist crowd he had played at ? was the guy with the hibs top early 20's ?

so this is my claim to fame :greengrin

iwasthere1972
27-01-2011, 12:32 AM
was it maybe monday night ? i was at a relations funeral in edinburgh on tuesday and one of the younger relations is heading out to australia in the next few days(for a holiday) and meeting up with her friends, she mentioned he was spotted in the crowd with his hibs top on, iirc he told her he had chatted with andy murray and he(murray) told him it was the noiseist crowd he had played at ? was the guy with the hibs top early 20's ?

so this is my claim to fame :greengrin

I think it was Monday night and yes the guy was probably in his early 20's. Guy sitting next to him (assume was his mate) was wearing a Scotland top.

Their was an ugly chappie sitting with Murray's family. A Celtic supporter would you believe. :greengrin

Calvin
27-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I think it was Monday night and yes the guy was probably in his early 20's. Guy sitting next to him (assume was his mate) was wearing a Scotland top.

Their was an ugly chappie sitting with Murray's family. A Celtic supporter would you believe. :greengrin

The Hibs shirt was on last night too.

I saw the Celtic fan, thought it was pretty amusing when his interview just consisted of 'leave me alone.' Who says the Scots are dour?

Pretty Boy
27-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Federer currently 2 sets down to Djokovic.

If he's going through it's going to have to be a 5 setter. Djokovic lookng very, very good. Either of these 2 will be a huge test for Murray or Ferrer in the final.

Craig_in_Prague
27-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Some chance for Murray now though, OK Ferrer and Djokovic are top players, but great chance for him to finally land a title.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Djokovic beats Federer in straight sets.

Federer just never got going but all credit to Djkovic who took his chances ruthlessly when they came. Seems to me that whilst he is still a top player there is nowhere near the same aura of invincibility around Federer that there once was. I suppose age catches up with even the best eventually.

JimBHibees
27-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Djokovic beats Federer in straight sets.

Federer just never got going but all credit to Djkovic who took his chances ruthlessly when they came. Seems to me that whilst he is still a top player there is nowhere near the same aura of invincibility around Federer that there once was. I suppose age catches up with even the best eventually.

Murray couldnt have hand picked the draw better up until now however I have a feelign he will find it difficult to get past Ferrer tomorrow. Certainly hope he can as I think he would beat Djokovic in the final if so.

Hibbie_Cameron
27-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I have said on here two or three times that despite being a fan of his, i did not believe Murray would win a grand slam.

I will now alter that statement and say if he does not win this grand slam then he will never win one.

What time is his match on tomorrow? Watched his qf on the bus to work:greengrin

JimBHibees
27-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I have said on here two or three times that despite being a fan of his, i did not believe Murray would win a grand slam.

I will now alter that statement and say if he does not win this grand slam then he will never win one.

8 or 8.30am bbc2. While hear what you are saying he would still have to beat the 7th and 3rd best players in the world to win in saying that he will never have a better chance and hope he does it.

There is no doubt in my mind that the value bet in Murray's semi final is Ferrer. Dont know what his price will be (would imagine 3 or 4 to 1 may be wrong as havent checked) in what in effect is a pretty even match.

greenlex
27-01-2011, 04:54 PM
With the big 2 now out Murray isn't going toget a better chance to win a Slam.
It wo t be easy by any manner of means but he won't have a better chance

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-01-2011, 06:59 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that the value bet in Murray's semi final is Ferrer. Dont know what his price will be (would imagine 3 or 4 to 1 may be wrong as havent checked) in what in effect is a pretty even match.

4.6 on Betfair. Don't want to tempt fate, but, anyone know the UK start time for the final?

iwasthere1972
27-01-2011, 07:17 PM
4.6 on Betfair. Don't want to tempt fate, but, anyone know the UK start time for the final?

Think it's provisionally scheduled for 7.30pm on Sunday so with the Aussies being 11 hours ahead of us it should start on Sunday 8.30am our time.

Just looked on BBC 2 schedules and the prog starts at 8.15am.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/schedules/scotland/2011/01/30

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Im down in London for the w-end, will prob have the hangover from hell at that time!

iwasthere1972
27-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Im down in London for the w-end, will prob have the hangover from hell at that time!

All the more reason for having whisky in your coco pops.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2011, 10:40 PM

His match will begin at 8.30am tomorrow, although by the time they come out on court and complete their warm-up, it will be about 8.45am or so.

Djokovic was very impressive today and he fully deserves to be in the final. Federer had his big chance in the second set when he was 5-2 up, but Djokovic won five games on the trot to go two sets up, which effectively ended his challenge.

This will only be the fifth time in 31 Grand Slams (since Roger Federer won his first Grand Slam in 2003) that neither Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer will have appeared in the final of a Major and it's the first time in 3 years since it happened when Novak Djokovic beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the final of the 2008 Australian Open.

Also, a more telling stat is that it's the first time since 2003 that Roger Federer has failed to hold the title of at least one Grand Slam. As he is fast approaching his 30th birthday, I think it's only to be expected that people will be questioning whether he can really compete for Grand Slam titles anymore.

I would like to think that it will be a Murray-Djokovic final, but having watched Djokovic's last two matches, if Murray gets through, I don't think he will be particularly pleased that he's due to face Djokovic, as opposed to Roger Federer.

Murray just has to make sure that he gets past David Ferrer first. If Murray plays his best then I would think that he'll progress to the final but he can't take Ferrer lightly as he is a top 10 player and any top 10 player is capable of beating another top 10 player on any given day.

In the women's draw, the final will be between Kim Clijsters and Na Li. Clijsters hammered last year's Wimbledon finalist Vera Zvonareva 6-3 6-3 and Na Li beat world number one Caroline Wozniacki 3-6 7-5 6-3, to become the first Asian female to appear in a Grand Slam final. Wozniacki actually had a match point in the second set but she didn't take it and was made to pay.

Anyway, I'm away to my bed now as I want to be up bright and early for the start of the match.

Hopefully the next time I'm on here, Andy will have done the business and will be in Sunday's final. :aok:

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Murray loses first set, despite being 4-3 up, with a break. To give Ferrer credit, after that game, he played some amazing tennis to win three games in a row to take the set 6-3.

One rally in particular was 40 shots long. That is phenomenal.

Too many unforced errors from Murray in the first set as well and he'll have to cut them out if he's going to win this match.

He has just broken in the opening game of the second set though. However it's 0-30 in the second game.

Ferrer breaks back, it's 1-1 in the second set. :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 08:56 AM
If this keeps going the way it is, there's only going to be one winner, I'm afraid, and it's not going to be Andy Murray.

Murray's making far too many errors and Ferrer looks much more positive in his play and being a lot more aggressive.

Murray's also showing visible signs of frustration and anger, which isn't a great sign to be honest.

There's still time for Murray to get things together but it doesn't look too good at the moment.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Big hold of serve from Murray there as he saved a break point. It's 3-3 in second set.

Wembley67
28-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Alternatively you can follow the BBC updates ;-)

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Alternatively you can follow the BBC updates ;-)

I'm much quicker. :greengrin

Huge break for Murray.

He's serving for the second set at 6-5. :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Ferrer breaks back again, we're into a tie-break. :boo hoo:

Houchy
28-01-2011, 09:37 AM
He's in a right match here:agree:.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Murray takes the tie-break 7-2 and levels the match at one set all. :thumbsup:

Come on Andy!

lyonhibs
28-01-2011, 09:42 AM
What on earth is wrong with Murray - he's got a face like he's sucking on a lemon and looks like's he's only playing in this match cos he's contractually obliged to or something!!

He's playing some good tennis, but seems to be showing none of the usual passion or grit, even when he wins a big point.

He didn't even look remotely bothered at winning - vitally - that 2nd set?? :confused:

Betty Boop
28-01-2011, 09:44 AM
What on earth is wrong with Murray - he's got a face like he's sucking on a lemon and looks like's he's only playing in this match cos he's contractually obliged to or something!!

He's playing some good tennis, but seems to be showing none of the usual passion or grit, even when he wins a big point.

He didn't even look remotely bothered at winning - vitally - that 2nd set?? :confused:

:agree:

pacorosssco
28-01-2011, 09:49 AM
All the more reason for having whisky in your coco pops.

much better we baileys

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Murray breaks to go 3-1 up in third set. :thumbsup:

Ferrer's level has certainly dropped in this set, which is no great surprise as he was very impressive in the first two sets.

pacorosssco
28-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Murray breaks to go 3-1 up in third set. :thumbsup:

Ferrer's level has certainly dropped in this set, which is no great surprise as he was very impressive in the first two sets.

aye hanging in , in the second set looks to have taken the wind out ferrers sails

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Murray looking better now. Breaks again with a stunning lob. 5-1 up in the 3rd now.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Murray gets a double break, to go 5-1 up in third set.

Finished it off with a brilliant topspin lob shot. :not worth

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 10:18 AM
He's making heavy weather of serving the set out here.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Wins the 3rd. C'monnnnnnnn ANDYYYYYY! (insert middle England or merchant Edinburgh voice smilie)

Hainan Hibs
28-01-2011, 10:26 AM
C'Mon Andy:scarf::thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Third set to Murray - 6-1 and he breaks Ferrer in the opening game of the fourth set as well.

Now 2-0 Murray, fourth set.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Third set to Murray - 6-1 and he breaks Ferrer in the opening game of the fourth set as well.

Now 2-0 Murray, fourth set.

:thumbsup: Making Ferrer work very hard to hold now. Looking good for him now although being a hibby theres bound to be a few more twists and turns to keep us all nervous.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Gutsy hold there from Ferrer as Murray was looking for the vital double break.

Although Murray's still firmly in control, he needs to maintain his focus here and make sure that Ferrer doesn't get any chances.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Shocking game from Murray as Ferrer breaks back and it's now back to 2-2. :bitchy:

Murray's back to how he was playing in the opening periods.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Gutsy hold there from Ferrer as Murray was looking for the vital double break.

Although Murray's still firmly in control, he needs to maintain his focus here and make sure that Ferrer doesn't get any chances.

Chances like double faulting and an unforced error to go 0-40 down. Ferrer breaks back, FFS.

pacorosssco
28-01-2011, 10:45 AM
doing it the scottish way

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Ferrer holds to go 3-2 up.

This is like watching the singular version of Hibs.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 10:47 AM
doing it the scottish way

I think he just needs to calm down, play his own game and at his own pace. He's proved in the 3rd set he has the beating of this guy so just needs to cut the unforced errors, get the 1st serves in and make sure he does the basics right.

Opens his service game with a stunning winner.

khib70
28-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Ferrer holds to go 3-2 up.

This is like watching the singular version of Hibs.
Not really. He's put the ball in the net quite a few times now:greengrin

Focus, Andy!

:flag::saltireflag

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Not really. He's put the ball in the net quite a few times now:greengrin

Focus, Andy!

:flag::saltireflag

True. :greengrin

Stunning winner by Murray to level it up at 3-3.

pacorosssco
take that

Pretty Boy
Murray holds with another brilliant shot up the line after some great defensive tennis.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 10:54 AM
And Ferrer holds......

pacorosssco
28-01-2011, 10:59 AM
come on andy big effort

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Ferrer 5-4 up with Murray serving.

Murray must hold here or we're going into a decider.

Which he does, we're at 5-5 in the fourth set.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Ferrer 5-4 up with Murray serving.

Murray must hold here or we're going into a decider.

And he does hold. Come on Andy.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Ferrer holds again to move ahead 6-5.

It's either going to be a tie-break or a fifth set.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Murray having a right good go (John Hughes smilie) at the Ferrer serve. Stunning backhand when facing the wrong way to get back in the game then makes Ferrer work hard for the hold on deuce.

Murray serving to stay in the set again.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Murray holds, looked comfortable then a double fault and a 2nd serve made it tougher than it had to be.

It's a tie break as we creep towards midnight in Australia.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Tie-break it is, then.

pacorosssco
28-01-2011, 11:25 AM
:sofa:

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 11:28 AM
He's done it, he's in Sunday's final. :thumbsup:

4-6 7-6 6-1 7-6.

Very nervous morning for all his fans back home as it looked at one stage as if Ferrer was going to do it, possibly even in straight sets. That second set tie-break really was the key point in the match.

However the big winner out of tonight's match could prove to be Novak Djokovic since this match lasted almost 4 hours and Djokovic has also had an extra day's rest.

All the best on Sunday, Andy! :aok:

pacorosssco
28-01-2011, 11:29 AM
:thumbsup::flag::scarf:

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 11:29 AM
:thumbsup:

Well done Andy. It was done the Hibs way but a wins a win.

Hainan Hibs
28-01-2011, 11:31 AM
****ing Boooooooooooooooooo

:greengrin

Well Done Andy, cannae wait for Sunday:thumbsup:

tanfield
28-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Great stuff. Can concentrate on work now :)

lyonhibs
28-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Well done Andy Murray - some great tennis.

Try to look like you were remotely enjoying yourself out there next time!! :greengrin

pacorosssco
28-01-2011, 11:33 AM
super sunday

haggis black pudding roll crate of hertog jan bier and tennis followed by utd v hibs

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 11:38 AM
super sunday

haggis black pudding roll crate of hertog jan bier and tennis followed by utd v hibs

Oh well, at least the tennis and the roll should be good. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Anyone know off the top of their head what Murrays head to head record v Djokovic is?

Sir David Gray
28-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Anyone know off the top of their head what Murrays head to head record v Djokovic is?

Djokovic leads 4-3, Murray has won the last three matches (all on hard courts), they haven't played each other since 2009 and have never met in a Grand Slam.

Pretty Boy
28-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Djokovic leads 4-3, Murray has won the last three matches (all on hard courts), they haven't played each other since 2009 and have never met in a Grand Slam.

:aok: Might be worth a cheeky tenner then.

JimBHibees
28-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Well done Andy Murray - some great tennis.

Try to look like you were remotely enjoying yourself out there next time!! :greengrin

Dont know how he could I certainly didnt and I was only watching it. :greengrin

Such an inconsistent player mixes the brilliant with the poor and always seems to make it hard for himself however immensely talented.

Personally think he will take Djokovic on Sunday and take his first major.

Go on Andy. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hibbie_Cameron
28-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I cant remember the last time i got up at 8.30 or earlier on a sunday (it must be over a year ago) but i certainly will be this sunday:thumbsup:

I only caught the last set on the bus home from work so i missed the worrying points:greengrin

Really excited about this final:thumbsup:

Twiglet
29-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Clijsters wins womens title. I only watched the end of the 2nd and the 3rd sets, but i think Clijsters' experience paid off in the end.
Na will win a future grand slam I'm sure especially with the Williams sisters no longer being completely dominant in the womans game.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Clijsters wins womens title. I only watched the end of the 2nd and the 3rd sets, but i think Clijsters' experience paid off in the end.
Na will win a future grand slam I'm sure especially with the Williams sisters no longer being completely dominant in the womans game.

I didn't see much of the women's final at all.

I know Na Li won the first set and was doing quite well in the second set as well when I went out so I just expected that she would end up winning it.

I'm not certain that Na Li will win a Grand Slam in the future, to be honest, and I think this was her big chance to do it.

She is 29 years old next month so she can hardly say that she represents the future of women's tennis.

The one thing that may go for her is that there's not really been a dominant figure(s) in women's tennis in recent years, in the same way that Nadal and Federer have dominated men's tennis over the past six or seven years or so. Female Grand Slam champions have been pretty evenly spread out in recent years.

Venus Williams hasn't won a Grand Slam since 2008 and is 31 years old later this year, so she won't be around forever. Her sister, Serena, is still a pretty big danger in the big tournaments, particularly since she doesn't play too many of the "other" tournaments, throughout the year. However, she'll be turning 30 years old in September so she too is probably nearing the end of her career, especially since she is so heavily involved with her fashion interests.

Now that Justine Henin has retired, only the Williams sisters have won at least five Grand Slam titles, out of all the current players. No other female has really dominated in the way that Steffi Graf used to do in the 90's and Martina Navratilova used to do in the 80's.

Kim Clijsters may be a major threat over the next few years, if she decides to continue playing. However I believe that she intends to retire in the near future to have a second child.

Caroline Wozniacki may be the future of women's tennis. She is the current world number one but she has never won a Grand Slam title. She is only 21 later this year so she is definitely the one to look to for someone to dominate the sport.

Other than her, I don't really see an outstanding candidate for dominating the sport in years to come.

I would have said Maria Sharapova but she has had so many injury problems that it's hard to see her winning several Grand Slams over the next five years or so. It's incredible to think that she's not even 24 yet. She has been around for such a long time and has actually been a professional for about 10 years now.

pacorosssco
30-01-2011, 07:36 AM
super sunday

roll on the go . beir cold. come on murray then hibs for the double.

BroxburnHibee
30-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Djokovic's shoulder looks like its troubling him.

easty
30-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Djokovic's shoulder looks like its troubling him.

Does it?:confused:

BroxburnHibee
30-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Does it?:confused:

Yep - Murray had him beat twice in that rally and let him back in.

He looks tired as well. Needs to pick it up now.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Djokovic looks stronger to me, and he's hitting the ball longer and harder imo. Its not looking good for Murray. :boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Not a brilliant start for Murray, losing the first set.

On only eight occasions in the past seven years has someone won a Grand Slam final, having lost the opening set of the match.

If Djokovic wins the second set too, Murray will have to do what no man has done since Gaston Gaudio in 2004 and come back from two sets down and win.

Come on Andy!

Steve-O
30-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Struggling now...can't see Murray winning.

The new Monty.

Betty Boop
30-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Djokovic looks stronger to me, and he's hitting the ball longer and harder imo. Its not looking good for Murray. :boo hoo:

:agree: Murray needs to go up a gear to have any chance.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:01 AM
4-0 now in the second set, Djokovic with a double break.

Murray looks very flat to me and Djokovic is definitely looking to dictate all the rallies.

Looks as if Britain's long, long wait for a Grand Slam champion will continue.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:05 AM
This is torture. :boo hoo:

cabbageandribs1875
30-01-2011, 09:06 AM
umpire should stop it now, let murray go away and practise on his first serve coz it's just as p@sh as it was the last time i watched him playing(wimbledon)

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:10 AM
At least it won't be a whitewash.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:13 AM
:thumbsup: Murray gets one of the breaks back.

Still 2-5 down though.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:21 AM
6-2 Djokovic.

Murray has been far too defensive.

It's all over, folks.

Steve-O
30-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Pathetic performance from Murray.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2011, 09:28 AM
How come Murray always looks out on his feet when he reaches the final of big tournaments?

Djokovic looks fresh as a daisy out there, it was the same against Federer last year. I'd be asking questions of my fitness and conditioning coach who costs tens of thousands a year if i was Murray.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Pathetic performance from Murray.

It hasn't been great but I think this highlights just how ridiculous the scheduling is at the Australian Open.

At every other Grand Slam, both men's semi finals are played on the same day, except for the Australian Open.

Murray had a match that lasted almost 4 hours against Ferrer, just 48 hours ago. At the same time, Djokovic was sitting in his hotel room, resting up as he had an extra 24 hours rest.

I'm not excusing Murray's bad performance today but that is a pretty significant advantage to have, particularly for a final.

Dirkster23
30-01-2011, 09:31 AM
6-2 Djokovic.

Murray has been far too defensive.

It's all over, folks.

Seems to be a common problem when he plays the top players.

Shows a bit of aggression and breaks in the third :greengrin

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Murray breaks at the start of the third set. :thumbsup:

Steve-O
30-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Murray has lost the plot.

At least I'll get to bed earlier than I thought.

Steve-O
30-01-2011, 09:35 AM
It hasn't been great but I think this highlights just how ridiculous the scheduling is at the Australian Open.

At every other Grand Slam, both men's semi finals are played on the same day, except for the Australian Open.

Murray had a match that lasted almost 4 hours against Ferrer, just 48 hours ago. At the same time, Djokovic was sitting in his hotel room, resting up as he had an extra 24 hours rest.

I'm not excusing Murray's bad performance today but that is a pretty significant advantage to have, particularly for a final.

I do agree with this, having an extra day is unfair when the final is so near.

PeeJay
30-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Looks like a mental/character problem to me, Murray hasn't been up for this game at any time since coming on to the court - the Serb has been up for it right from the word go.

cabbageandribs1875
30-01-2011, 09:38 AM

good point

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:39 AM
How come Murray always looks out on his feet when he reaches the final of big tournaments?

Djokovic looks fresh as a daisy out there, it was the same against Federer last year. I'd be asking questions of my fitness and conditioning coach who costs tens of thousands a year if i was Murray.

I honestly don't think it's anything to do with lack of fitness.

Murray is one of the fittest guys in the game right now and can chase a ball all over the court, for ages if need be.

His problems are that he does not have nearly enough aggression about his game, his first serve is often abysmal and I would still question certain aspects of his attitude, when things aren't going his way.

He constantly stands at the back of the court, hitting the ball back. It's not appropriate to come into the net every time but he often hits a great shot, deep into the baseline and he should then come into the net but instead, he stands back and trades long rallies that he won't win against the top players, who are aggressive and won't be put off by Murray's game of "just getting the ball back".

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 09:43 AM
It seems he's just not quite good enough? :boo hoo:

Betty Boop
30-01-2011, 09:43 AM
The atmosphere at this match is also crap, there is no crowd noise.

Steve-O
30-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Quiet please...

CallumLaidlaw
30-01-2011, 09:45 AM

someone should start "calderwoods green and white army" :flag:

or " we're sh?@e and we know we are " :wink:

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:48 AM
someone should start "calderwoods green and white army" :flag:

or " we're sh?@e and we know we are " :wink:

Has the 12th man got a Melbourne branch?

:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
30-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Booooooooooooooooooooooooo

Steve-O
30-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Game, set, and match.

Bedtime for me.

Someone associated with Scotland and Hibernian bottles it on the big occasion - who'd have thunk it? :confused:

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Fantastic point by Djokovic to break.

3-1 third set.

Just got to take your hat off to Djokovic today. It's been a great performance by him at times.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Game, set, and match.

Bedtime for me.

Someone associated with Scotland and Hibernian bottles it on the big occasion - who'd have thunk it? :confused:

Never mind, when you wake up, Hibs will be five points above relegation. :rolleyes:

:wink:

cabbageandribs1875
30-01-2011, 09:57 AM
they should have an option for watching the tidy burds in the crowd, we shouldnt have to watch the tennis all the time.

get it sorted BBC :grr:

CallumLaidlaw
30-01-2011, 09:59 AM
they should have an option for watching the tidy burds in the crowd, we shouldnt have to watch the tennis all the time.

get it sorted BBC :grr:

if only Andy Gray was producer :devil:

DaveF
30-01-2011, 10:19 AM
I know Djokovic has played some great stuff but it seems to me like Murray starts these important games really slowly almost as if not to lose rather than trying to win.

Before he knows it, he's on the back foot, then forced to go for shots that are high risk giving his opponent more of a chance to win.

Really think he needs to sort out his mindset in finals and grab the chance - if he ever makes another final, that is.

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Game, set and match, Novak Djokovic.

6-4 6-2 6-3.

Well done Novak, fully deserved victory.

Better luck next time, Andy.

Andy74
30-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Murray has proved his Hibs credentials. Born bottler!

H18sry
30-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Murray has proved his Hibs credentials. Born bottler!

Get a grip FFS :bitchy: he was beaten by a much better player on the day.

Andy74
30-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Get a grip FFS :bitchy: he was beaten by a much better player on the day.

On the day, aye. Why? Murray has beaten him the last 3 times and gets a doing when it matters. Obviously a top player but he's just lacking something to get over the line. Typical Hibby.

BroxburnHibee
30-01-2011, 10:43 AM
On the day, aye. Why? Murray has beaten him the last 3 times and gets a doing when it matters. Obviously a top player but he's just lacking something to get over the line. Typical Hibby.

Very lacklustre in his approach at the start of every Grand Slam final he's been in.

Far too many unforced errors and as others have said lacked the killer shot when really needed to finish points off.

Biggie
30-01-2011, 10:48 AM
He was up against the on form player in the world...he had less recovery time than his opponent.....at that level it must have an influence on how the game pans out. The guy will win one....but I agree he needs to add more variety to his game...simply slugging it out at the back of the court with the really top players isn't enough......here's hoping the next time.

HibbyAndy
30-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Credit to Djokovic, Best player defo won the tournament, But Andy Murray AGAIN fails to turn up in a final, Cant even win a set.

Its a mental thing.

JimBHibees
31-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Credit to Djokovic, Best player defo won the tournament, But Andy Murray AGAIN fails to turn up in a final, Cant even win a set.

Its a mental thing.

Cant disagree with that Djokovic was good but no more than that IMO, Murray helped him along nicely with a string of unforced errors and very poor serving (50% or so first serves in, is awful at this level). His capitulation in the second set was very poor to see also.

He is a top player however the way he behaves on court is a joke and self destructive IMO, his screaming at his entourage (including his mum) with swearing doesnt help at all. I dont see any of the other top players doing it so why should he. on one occasion he was screaming at the box after Djokovic has served an ace, what can he or his box do about that.

I have loads of time for the guy and think he is great to watch however he needs as Becker indicated on BBC a top coach who can help him get through the pressure games as I dont think it is a lack of talent rather a weaker mental make up than others. He needs someone to tell him what to do rather than him thinking he knows it all. He needs to be calmer also so needs some sort of sports psychologist in tandem with a coach.