No big speil

Lets see the numbers

10 Team SPL Yes, No or Indifferent?

davehiby
17-01-2011, 08:40 PM
no no no no no no

Sammy7nil
17-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I am for it, dont see any other option. When we were in 1st Div there was so many pointless / meaningless games I was bored out my tree sitting watching a 3 - 0 lead against nobody team in freezing stadium praying the ref would blow his whistle.

Yeah I know 10 team is not the best answer but better than 16 or 18 with LOTS of meaningless games.

Hibee Daz
17-01-2011, 08:56 PM
NO

Woody1985
17-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I am for it, dont see any other option. When we were in 1st Div there was so many pointless / meaningless games I was bored out my tree sitting watching a 3 - 0 lead against nobody team in freezing stadium praying the ref would blow his whistle.

Yeah I know 10 team is not the best answer but better than 16 or 18 with LOTS of meaningless games.

How do every other league with 16 or 18 teams live with all these 'meaningless' games. They must be extremely bored.

Is there not more meaningless games in a 20 team league?

The best answer is a 14 team with a split. The split removes a lot of meaningless games. The fight for the top two, 3rd place, the rest of the European places, a fight to get into the top 6 and after the split the fight to finish as high as possible for extra wins bonuses/secure funds for the club which might determine if players get contracts the following season and the relegation battle.

KWJ
17-01-2011, 08:59 PM

In shock. Do you really think we could beat everyone in the first division comfortably, especially if they then had the added revenue from being in the top flight?

If we were playing well and had a team like we did under McLeish then we'd beat these teams, the teams around us in the current format and we'd have been a lot closer to the Old Firm thus making it more exciting for the punters.

Hermit Crab
17-01-2011, 09:22 PM
NO TO 10 TEAMS BOOOOO BOOOOO :no way: ***** has :******:

GreenCastle
17-01-2011, 09:32 PM
No no no

libernian
17-01-2011, 09:44 PM
not that bothered either way but cant be bothered going to watch hibs v hamilton etc. get rid of those teams... and we get an game v hearts guarenteed(if we dont get relegated that is)

probs be less youngsters come thru tho

frazeHFC
17-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Against, against, against. 90% are against, when will they listen to the fans!!!! :grr:

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2011, 10:35 PM
10 X NO

But who cares ..... The least important thing in pro football is the opinion of the fans.

SPL, SFA,SFL .......... Hell mend the ****ing lot of them

Jones28
17-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Not that the fans vote counts for anything in this day and age.

All it will do is increase the money made by the old firm which will lead to further dominance. At the same time 2 extra teams will lose money by not being able to play the old firm at least 3 times a year.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-01-2011, 10:41 PM
if anyone wants to restructure our game the first step has to be serious assessment of whether a country of our size needs three different organisations to administer things. iMO that is two too many.

Onceinawhile
17-01-2011, 10:41 PM
no.

Bishop Hibee
17-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Money 1-0 Fans. I'll still be at ER in a 10 team SPL 1 or 14 team SPL 2 :crazy:

NYHibby
17-01-2011, 11:43 PM
The best answer is a 14 team with a split. The split removes a lot of meaningless games. The fight for the top two, 3rd place, the rest of the European places, a fight to get into the top 6 and after the split the fight to finish as high as possible for extra wins bonuses/secure funds for the club which might determine if players get contracts the following season and the relegation battle.

I agree with this.

You could also do an American style play off with the top 8 teams playing for the Europe places. You'd seed teams by the table at the time of the spilt. Home and away. 3rd place series for the final spot.

SmokieJoe
18-01-2011, 12:20 AM
The only real ones that benefit from a 10 team top flight are the OF, that way they get 3/4 home games a season to prop up their less than profitable clubs in the revenue that they have become to. how much would the be out of pocket with fewer home games a season? how much better would the general state of Scottish football be? and how many teams (realistically) look forward to playing the OF on their own turf?

!4 to 16 teams for me.

sesoim
18-01-2011, 01:30 AM
In an ideal world we'd have enough big teams to have an 18 or 20 team league, but a 16 team league probably is the right size given how many teams we have capable of getting 5000+ average crowds.

To make up for losing a few games, we would need to have play-offs or another Cup. We could split the league in four and have playoffs for teams 1-4,5-8,9-12 and 13-16. Or maybe an SPL "Super Cup" where the 16 teams are drawn against each other based on positions, eg 1st v 16th, playing two leg ties through to the semis. That would also give the two relegated teams a financial boost before they go down, as theyed almost certainly play the Old Firm.

sesoim
18-01-2011, 01:41 AM
The OF would never admit it, but it is virtually impossible for any other team to win the SPL in a 10 or 12 team league. But in a bigger league, where we only played the OF twice, then even a club our size would be capable of matching the OF's record against teams from 4th to 16th. Then all we'd have to do is at least match the OF over our four games against them. But over eight games, no chance.

PeeJay
18-01-2011, 06:50 AM
The deal is done purely for television broadcasting reasons - short-term thinking. Scottish football in general will not benefit overall from this move although certain clubs may be comfortable with the financial rewards provided by tv rights. The fans are obviously surplus to any considerations - terrible move. The SPL will remain the laughing stock of European football.

B.Wilson
18-01-2011, 07:05 AM
against,16 - 18 league,

greenlex
18-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Voted not fussed. Against it but will still support my team in any league the play.

bighairyfaeleith
18-01-2011, 07:13 AM
I reckon there should be a game picked this season where all the fans across the country show how they feel by choosing not to go to the game. If all attendances dropped by 50% one week they would have to take notice.

Beefster
18-01-2011, 07:19 AM
I reckon there should be a game picked this season where all the fans across the country show how they feel by choosing not to go to the game. If all attendances dropped by 50% one week they would have to take notice.

I'm sure you're right but isn't the low attendances (and associated income) one of the the reasons why they're having to look at a smaller league in the first place? If we were filling ER every second week, would Hibs be so precious about protecting our games against the OF?

Hibby D
18-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Absolutely not.

And I won't be renewing our ST's as a result.

But then what does my opinion matter; I'm only a fan!:rolleyes:

Mili Tant
18-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Excellent idea and one that should be promoted on other fans forums as well. March 5/6th would give a bit time to organise this. You will have the arguement about "we're at home / you're away" but I'm sure we could overcome this. As it happens we're away to St. Johnstone that day but there are no major matches taking place which should mean more active support of a boycott.

bighairyfaeleith
18-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm sure you're right but isn't the low attendances (and associated income) one of the the reasons why they're having to look at a smaller league in the first place? If we were filling ER every second week, would Hibs be so precious about protecting our games against the OF?

It is but the issue is that the clubs have forgotten how important the fans are to there existence. We need to remind them and the best way to do it is for us all to boycott a game and simply not go. The press would be all over it and the clubs would have to act as they couldn't afford a repeat.