PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Capitals - Fans Forum with Scott Neil

The_Todd
17-01-2011, 05:29 PM
For those Ice Hockey fans who don't already know, Edinburgh Capitals owner Scott Neil will be holding a fans forum at Murrayfield Ice Rink on Wednesday at 7.30pm.

It's a worrying time for the organisation, so if you ohave any questions about the club and its future direction I'd urge you to come along.

Hibbie_Cameron
19-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Any details mate?

The_Todd
20-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Now, I took a pen, and a notepad and was going to take full notes. Sadly, I was overwhelmed by the turnout myself, so it was standing room only at the back when I got there. This scuppered my intention to take notes.

So, I'll bulletpoint what I remember:

SN detailed that the weather did indeed cost the club heavily.
SN informed us that certain players left simply due to much better offers elsewhere and their departures were not related to a cash crisis at the club. Those players would have left regardless.
When Newcastle were going through difficulties, SN offered to take on any players Newcastle could no longer keep on.
When the players started leaving, it created a spiral and other players started to leave.
Sponsors offered to help pay wages of one import when it looked like he was leaving, however the player was intent on leaving anyway.
Nick Fanto PR was NOT released until today because the club were still making efforts to keep him until last night
The web development students will be trying to create a website at least equal to, but hopefully better than the Cardiff Devils
Sponsors often read the forum, and are suprised by some comments from fans
The club will be co-owned by two or three others going forward to share the financial burden and workload.
Going forward the club will have TWO full time back office staff, which is better than the current none.
There will be a budget including advertising for next season
Scott Neil admits lack of PR is his fault
SN hopes to sign 3 players by end of January including one netminder
SN will consider ticket prices reflecting quality of product for the remainder of the season
SN was advised at the start of the season the league would be offering no support to struggling teams this season
SN was suprised Newcastle were then offered assistance
SN states Edinburgh were not offered the same assistance
SN feels the arena teams do not consider the knock on effect on the smaller teams when they start outspending each other
The club will not be risking Kyle Horne by rushing him back
SN welcomes fans trying to win sponsorship on behalf of the club, but would like these attempts run past him first, as sponsorship can be a sensitive area especially when existing sponsors want exclusivity
Anyone wanting to follow up leads on sponsorship can get headed letter paper from SN, as long as it's run by him first
There is an accountant giving the club professional advice at the moment
SN would like to extend an opportunity to anyone with journalism experience or PR experience a chance to assist with communication in future
Although not explicitly stated it seems the Caps will be performing at Elite Level next season
SN is disappointed teams overspend then get league assistance and don't cut back spending, but instead continue spending at the same rate which got them into trouble
SN feels the club has done well to retain most of it's sponsorship this season despite economic climate
There is a potential spectacular development coming, unprecedented in British Ice Hockey. He was deliberately vague on this, as the details haven't been finalised. It was hinted it was something major, and would help the Caps become more competitive.
He said it was sensible that the Caps should be playing in the same league as the Flyers, but this seemed more of a wish to help reduce travel times for games than any indication of any actual change. He said some players actively choose middle England teams as away travel is easier.
He is unsure as yet if we will have a player\coach or full time coach next season. That was a decision for further down the line.
The Caps will endeavour not to leave signings so last minute before next season.

Hibbie_Cameron
20-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I really hope all goes well after this meeting. The decline in results in recent weeks has been awful and i feel for that hardcore support that follow the team.

I must admit myself and a few of my friends would go along more often if it was cheaper. We enjoy going along but we do feel £15 is a bit steep every week.

PR is also a problem, i know a good few hockey fans who did not even know the capitals excisted, which is very sad

The_Sauz
20-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Now, I took a pen, and a notepad and was going to take full notes. Sadly, I was overwhelmed by the turnout myself, so it was standing room only at the back when I got there. This scuppered my intention to take notes.

So, I'll bulletpoint what I remember:

SN informed us that certain players left simply due to much better offers elsewhere and their departures were not related to a cash crisis at the club. Those players would have left regardless.
When Newcastle were going through difficulties, SN offered to take on any players Newcastle could no longer keep on.
When the players started leaving, it created a spiral and other players started to leave.
Sponsors offered to help pay wages of one import when it looked like he was leaving, however the player was intent on leaving anyway.
Nick Fanto PR was NOT released until today because the club were still making efforts to keep him until last night
The web development students will be trying to create a website at least equal to, but hopefully better than the Cardiff Devils
Sponsors often read the forum, and are suprised by some comments from fans
The club will be co-owned by two or three others going forward to share the financial burden and workload.
Going forward the club will have TWO full time back office staff, which is better than the current none.
There will be a budget including advertising for next season
Scott Neil admits lack of PR is his fault
SN hopes to sign 3 players by end of January including one netminder
SN will consider ticket prices reflecting quality of product for the remainder of the season
SN was advised at the start of the season the league would be offering no support to struggling teams this season
SN states Edinburgh were not offered the same assistance
SN feels the arena teams do not consider the knock on effect on the smaller teams when they start outspending each other
The club will not be risking Kyle Horne by rushing him back
SN welcomes fans trying to win sponsorship on behalf of the club, but would like these attempts run past him first, as sponsorship can be a sensitive area especially when existing sponsors want exclusivity
Anyone wanting to follow up leads on sponsorship can get headed letter paper from SN, as long as it's run by him first
There is an accountant giving the club professional advice at the moment
SN would like to extend an opportunity to anyone with journalism experience or PR experience a chance to assist with communication in future
Although not explicitly stated it seems the Caps will be performing at Elite Level next season
SN is disappointed teams overspend then get league assistance and don't cut back spending, but instead continue spending at the same rate which got them into trouble
SN feels the club has done well to retain most of it's sponsorship this season despite economic climate
There is a potential spectacular development coming, unprecedented in British Ice Hockey. He was deliberately vague on this, as the details haven't been finalised. It was hinted it was something major, and would help the Caps become more competitive.
He said it was sensible that the Caps should be playing in the same league as the Flyers, but this seemed more of a wish to help reduce travel times for games than any indication of any actual change. He said some players actively choose middle England teams as away travel is easier.
He is unsure as yet if we will have a player\coach or full time coach next season. That was a decision for further down the line.
The Caps will endeavour not to leave signings so last minute before next season.

1/ Playing Dundee 5/6 times in succession did not help them!

2/ Did he also tell you that all the imports were on all a 3 month contract?

3/ See #2

4/ The prices will still be the same next season, if not dearer!! :agree:

5/ The BIHA have always bent over double to help the clubs in England because they hate having a Scottish club doing well.
Just look at the history of Ice Hockey in the UK, the most decorated clubs are the Racers and the Fife Flyers* :agree:

* God...how I hate missing the old Racers v Flyers matches at a packed Murrayfield....Chris Kelland, Mike Ware, Chris Palmer, Rick Fera, Tony Hand, Paul Hand :not worth ....Oh and my old man, better no forget him, he liked a good scrap in his day :greengrin

The_Todd
20-01-2011, 08:49 PM

Next season, yes but this is more for the remaining matches this season - he was asked if he thought the current product was worth £15 a ticket, and he honestly answered "no". He was then asked if he would consider adjusting prices for the rest of the reason to reflect that, and he said he would.

jodjam
20-01-2011, 09:20 PM

1/ Playing Dundee 5/6 times in succession did not help them!

2/ Did he also tell you that all the imports were on all a 3 month contract?

3/ See #2

5/ The BIHA have always bent over double to help the clubs in England because they hate having a Scottish club doing well.
Just look at the history of Ice Hockey in the UK, the most decorated clubs are the Racers and the Fife Flyers* :agree:

* God...how I hate missing the old Racers v Flyers matches at a packed Murrayfield....Chris Kelland, Mike Ware, Chris Palmer, Rick Fera, Tony Hand, Paul Hand :not worth ....Oh and my old man, better no forget him, he liked a good scrap in his day :greengrin

I remember going to a saturday night game through in Kirkcaldy when i was called a southern b*****d cos i came from Edinburgh. Those were the days.

The_Sauz
21-01-2011, 12:30 AM
[/B]

I remember going to a saturday night game through in Kirkcaldy when i was called a southern b*****d cos i came from Edinburgh. Those were the days.
The rink was a dump.........but you always had a great atmosphere :take that

The_Sauz
21-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Next season, yes but this is more for the remaining matches this season - he was asked if he thought the current product was worth £15 a ticket, and he honestly answered "no". He was then asked if he would consider adjusting prices for the rest of the reason to reflect that, and he said he would.
Mate....Never trust a jambo when it comes to money :wink: